F-150

>F-150
>MSRP: From $27,610
>Silverado
>MSRP: From $28,300
How can companies keep getting away with this?
Truck prices have been going up horrifically, to the point a base model work truck is now near $30000. Is this sustainable?
How can anyone that needs a basic work truck afford to spend $30k on one?

Will we ever see a reasonably priced base model truck again in our lifetimes?

They can get away with it because people are willing to take the loans out on them.

$30k for a 350hp V8 truck is far from overpriced. Keep in mind that gets you a 200hp fwd elantra or a 2 liter Accord. Which is the better value? A lease is like $400 a month on a new truck, That's how people afford it.

No one buys basic work trucks outside of maybe some fleet dealers.

If your getting a truck for legit work, just get something old.

no such thing as a basic domestic truck
even the stripper model has a 6 speed auto, air con and cruise control

So does a brand new $13k shitbox.... Go live in the third world if you want to drive Tata's and shit.

>less than 30k for a full size truck barge that'll stand up to some abuse
It's not expensive, you're just spoiled.

>work truck
Does the US get dropside vans from Ford, VW or Peugeot? They should be cheaper than the mall crawlers you're looking at.

Americans haven't got the slightest clue about work trucks, otherwise they wouldn't still buy trucks with styleside beds by the millions to do "work" with them.

No we don't and if we did they'd be far from cheap. A normal sprinter is still around $40k which gets you a nice mall crawler. A Pickup does everything a dropside does.

Woah these prices are fucked.

>what is inflation

>A Pickup does everything a dropside does.
Except for having a large, flat, accessible, damage-resistant cargo area, which basically is the entire fucking point of a pickup.

you're too dumb to understand what i'm saying
they used to make you pay for that shit

Just buy a flatbed then you idiot.

If you carry shit like on a daily basis then you use a trailer or switch to a flatbed. Unless you're carrying huge sheets of steel on the reg you can fit it in the bed of a pickup.

Yeah? And now it's expected to be included because it's 20 fucking 18 and we live in the first world. I can get a riding mower with AC and cruise.... A truck sure as shit better have it too.

Only the big ones, and not from VW or Peugeot. The cheap ones don't meet US emissions standards, and no one wants to spend a bunch of money on the little ones.

>sustainable
They aren't worried about sustainable. They're worried about making their next bonus or getting that next bump up in the stock price depending on what level executive they are.

They'll keep pushing the price until the market balks and then they'll do something else.

>msrp on 2007 f150 was $17100
>$21000 with inflation
>new F150 is $27600

Kind of forcing the guys who want a basic truck to fork it out anyways. A lot of the landscapers and tradesmen I see are driving newer base model 1/2 tons. If you didnt have the company logo on the side it is a seemingly nice vehicle and you wouldnt be able to really tell if from the next trim level. All the gadgets, electronics and infotainment shit is coming standard with base trucks. You cant get a bare bones interior with a big engine cab bed and manual trans anymore

Are you going to lease a base model for $400 a month or a mid-high range model for $450 a month? Most people are going to go for the fancy model or the fanciest they can afford.

>live in the northeast
>all old trucks are rotted away
>people want $10k for beat up high miles early 2000's half tons because hur hur it's $27k for a new one I know what I got

It's the same in Alberta but everything is rusted to shit and lifted with hockey pucks.

Oh yeah if it was that close of course you would go for the next package up. I dont think most people can honestly even afford the base line and just go into debt for it anyways though

You don't have a good understanding of inflation, do you

That's still an xlt. An xl truck is still more basic.

Where did we go so wrong?

>What are citations
I agree with you guys that new trucks are expensive, but they really aren't comparable to stuff made 30yrs ago. I know this because I daily an '85 f250, and I regularly drive brand new f250s.

It's because they don't offer bare-bones garbage in the US like they used to. In the last decade they stopped oferring MT, they all have ac and power windows, they have more power and better fuel economy, and can tow twice as much.
Go to Mexico and I bet you can still get the 3rd world economy model.

nope you're wrong
this is XLT it has different clocks

XL doesnt have cruise. Look at the steering wheel buttons compared to the XLT. XL is base as fuck. You have AC/heat, AM/FM radio, crank windows, manual locks, column shifter. Hell, it is what Veeky Forums wants in a vehicle

You can order a truck without the box and put whatever you want on it. Flat bed, dump bed, crane, bucket, utility box etc. They're everywhere.

You're right. Looked closer. The xl truck at work has a different radio but that might be because it is an f450

These flatbeds are like $1000 to $1500. A box delete saves you about $1000. So you can just as easily have a flatbed if you're worried about damage and access.

Blame Dodge and Boomers. They turned trucks into luxury vehicles. Like convertibles, coupes, and sports cars.

Trucks project an image that people want to be associated with. Even if they only ever haul potting soil from the occasional Home Depot trip.

wanna know why they're expensive?

because they are no longer industrial vehicles, and now have safety and comfort standards to follow.

its all dodge's fault. they were the ones who started with their "comfort" features in the 90's with the 2nd gen ram.

>chrysler ruins everything again
yamero

>what are manufacturing costs

>start using beer can tier aluminum
>replace all the workers with robots
>make all the parts in mexico
>m-muh manufacturing costs

Full size trucks sell well still. So they carry a higher profit margin price.

i dont think any parts are made in mexico when it comes to ford

it's chrysler that does that shit, hemi's are built in saltillo, coahuila

I assumed that was par for the course, like tacomas and such being put together in mexico.

These things look comfy as fuck, what do they go for in the US?

What's surprising is that Jap trucks can compete with American trucks even though there are insane import taxes. Japanese automakers can build factories in the USA, pay inflated USA wages and material costs, make a sometimes better and more reliable product that sells for less than the American equivalent, and STILL make a profit. No one really buys the Jap trucks though because truck buying demographics are generally blue collar and more inclined towards American made products. Nissan smarted up and started putting American engines in their trucks and it seems to be working out for them.

if you live in a area with road salt
$100000000000000000000
if not, I don't know because I fall in the former category

you can get Silverado WTs for under 25k and even around 21k if you wait for sales and shieeeet like that. ford is garbage so i dont know about them.

You cant look at msrp. They always know off 10-15k off trucks msrps.

>sells for less
going off MSRP
tundra's and titan's have msrp's in between $30k and $31k
Taco's are $6k more than any of the competition
Frontiers are the only ones that actually are below any of the competition.

knock

even down here in the south old sierras and f150s go for like 4-6k. It's kind of stupid because you can get a mid 90s full size for around the same or sometimes less.

usually 1-3k for ones that need work and good ones for 6-10k they made a lot of squarebody chevy pickups so they usually aren't horribly expensive

Trust me when I tell you this. Buy a base model commercial colorado and just sell it after 5 years, then get a new one.

The fuckers cost like $100k aud over here

Old trucks are cheap as fuck.

The only trouble is finding one that isn't a rust bucket or half made of Bondo

Less than 2k and loaded with rust