be mechanic

> be mechanic
> performing oil change
> use torque gun on oil filter

Nigger you fucking serious now it’s hard to get off plz kys my god

If you ever use a torque gun or a air ratchet for a oil filter, you are legit retarded and should not be allowed to work on cars

Dealerships seem to do this. I think they do it to keep you coming back. When I first bought my Honda I tried changing the oil and the filter was stuck on. It didn't help that I couldn't get a grip on it because the genuine Honda-brand filter has smooth metal face.

Get a oil filter wrench
Then put sandpaper on the inside.
Works everytime.

Most modern cars are so fucking tight that you couldn't fit an impact gun in there. Are you sure you're turning it the right way?

Was doing the first oil change after getting a new car and I ran into this (it’s why I posted). Nigger of a mechanic must have torqued the hell out of the oil plug and filter.... so annoying. I got it off but I almost had to use a breaker bar and not just a ratchet. Happened on my other car when the mechanic did the oil change for my dad the time before. Must be so it’s faster for them... lazy pricks

My car (Subaru Impreza) only has access from below the filter and not the side, had to use the ratchet attachment with some gorilla tape because apparently the shitty filter he used doesn’t fit the type f attachment (which it should)

there are many forums all over about factory oil filters being near welded on but as for the changes after the first, I'm pretty sure they use the socket type filter wrench to put on the new filter (also wrong, only use your hand) but they follow the tech manual that says 1/4 turn after tight which is retarded

I hand tightened it as much as I could, then due to not getting a good grip just snugged it up with the socket. Didn’t kill it like the last guy did holy hell. Yeah I’ve heard of that too, pretty annoying especially when they’re poorly designed (in a hard to get spot). Thankfully Subaru made it really easy to get to. The Ford Explorer on the other hand...... at a 45 degree angle near the front radiator on top of the frame... my god what a bitch to get off

As a technician I agree 110%, we had a girl named sandy who would do that and you could always tell when she did a car last. My filter pliers would break the filter before it would turn
We can’t stand that at my dealership. It’s not something we approve of at all

I got lucky, my toyota is front and center between the block and radiator on the bottom (similar to a vw golf but with no fucking hoses in the way). as for the good grip, just wear a clean rubber glove and don't get oil on the side of the filter. should let you get good grip.

Ive heard the Fiat 500 has a nightmarish location at the back of the block but I cant confirm.

Time to get stabbin, prayin, and pryin, OP

Why don't oil filter housings have ridged perimeters to make it easy to twist them off?

My K&N has a ridge on the top so you can fit a normal socket wrench on it. Pretty convenient

What kind of shit business does that?

The shop i work at we lube up the seal and tighten the filter up by hand. That way it will be either easier for us, when the car comes in again and for the costumer if he decides to do his own oil and filter change.

I guess the guy that I bought the car from. Also happened with the guy my dad previously sent his explorer to for maintenance. I don’t know if it’s deliberate or just lazy by using a torque gun for it since it’s a bit faster

I wish I wasn’t convinced to use the stock Subaru filter and not the k&n, that feature is awesome

Yeah that does seem ideal. But i use Bosch and fucking Toyota decides to put it under the oil pan so i have to jack the car up

ITT: LOTS OF SOYBOIS
T
T
:

L
O
T
S

O
F

B
O
I
S

You overtightened that thing by a lot. Read the instructions next time, if you can get that one off without replacing the oil cooler.

this

Because idiots will use them to over-tighten the filter.

Oh look, someone who knows what the hell he is doing. Cheers!

>buy vehicle
>Run it for a month and decide to give it an oil change
>Oil filter is rusty

I use a chain wrench and i can get anything off this way as long as i have space to put the chain over and back down into the thing. It's annoying but works when you can't use an actual filter socket

Nope didn’t over tighten it. Hand tightened then maybe a quarter turn. Been doing that for a while now with no issues.

What year/engine is your Explorer? I own one and never have an issue getting to filter with a cup wrench, mainly my problem is that it takes like 3 extensions to get the ratchet to a place I can turn it from.

2006. I don’t have any universal joints at the moment or any attachment that sets the socket at an angle so it’s annoying.

Ah, 3rd gens I'm unfamiliar with, my 2000 was a pain the first time I did it though because I didn't have enough extensions. Probably the 2WD model is easier.

It’s easier after the first time usually (as you know), if you did it last time then you probably didn’t over tighten it and might even be able to get it off with your hand. Yeah I probably would have had an easy time with a different adapter, but the mechanic really tightened it down before me and it was a pain in the ass

Honda oem filters are always the worst to get off, fuck.

>tfw Motorcraft filter got stuck to the wrench cap and I couldn't get it off so I just had to throw the wrench out
Fucking OEMParts, does anyone know of a non-chinkshit wrench that fits these?

Take a screwdriver and hammer it between the filter and the wrench. The filter is softer metal, it will crush out of your way.

Just get one of these. It literally tightens its grip on the filter as you pry 'er off.

Same here. Why would you ever place them on tighter than your hand can?
Some dumbass shop near us puts them on with a tool and it just wastes our time.
They damaged the drain plug on a GTO and we had to pull the engine to replace it.

Do those work? I usually try to opt for the fixed ones. Might pic one of these up if they work well

Da Fuq you tools?

Put it on by hand take it off by hand.

The only time I ever use a strap wrench is if I didn't put it on.

>bought a used truck
>did my first oil change
>broke one of my wrench adapters trying to get the plug loose

Pretty sure everyone here only was talking about a problem arising from someone else doing it...

>strip nut trying to get off like a retard
>torch didnt work and its torqued to like 85 ft lb

I used the screwdriver, pliers, and sandpaper tricks with a motorcycle filter. Nothing worked and it was getting dark with a mangled filter leaking everywhere. Covered the bike and ran to wally, bought that attachment for $5 and it was a lifesaver. I always keep two or three laying around my garage.

That’s good to know.... for my daily driver I have the perfect fit fixed one but might grab that if I find myself working on family cars often

Do my own oil changes here. 07 Ram 1500

I put my oil filter on and off with one hand. Finger tight then 1/2 turn further.

Never taken a vehicle to an oil change place or mech for the oil change. Is it really this bad on the other side?

For what it's worth I had the opposite experience. I bought a FRAM brand one, but looks exactly like OP's pic. It refused to grip my filter. A simple rubber strap-style filter wrench along with some heat eventually got it off, but this thing just scratched the painted filter. It refused to actually tighten down on the filter for some reason, the mechanism just wasn't effective. I had to hold the teeth things to even get it to grip at all.

Ditto. Bought this meme device when a buddy couldn’t get a dealer installed filter loose. I suspect it only works on larger filters (if it ever works).

When I changed the oil in my project car I couldn't get the filter off so I just left it and changed the oil. Gonna have to buy a special tool to get it off and it's also in a retarded spot

Yes, for some reason people think they need 75 ft/lbs of torque on their oil filters.

I've always found the band type wrenches to be the best.

I don't do it myself, generally you can't fit fuck all in around most oil filters but there's no reason there has to be anything wrong with it, rattle guns are adjustable, I can turn mine down to the point where I can hold the socket with 2 fingers.

this shit tho.

they are only supposed to be hand tight why do they do this.

my tinfoil hat says its to make you want to come back to them instead of doing it yourself.

filter wrench master race here

>looks exactly like OP's pic