Tell me why is it good looking GM cars like the roadmaster from the 80s-90s have extremely shit reliability and have...

tell me why is it good looking GM cars like the roadmaster from the 80s-90s have extremely shit reliability and have disappeared from the roads almost entirely pretty quick?

>GM
There is your answer

They're bigger and less fuel efficient than an SUV. This is why there aren't too many around.

If you could own a Roadmaster or a Chevy Tahoe, most people would take a Tahoe.

Because it was the 80s-90s, the economy was booming and demand for cars was so high that people would buy any piece of shit with four wheels.
Manufacturers didn't have to worry about build quality or reliability because cars were flying off the lots.
GM wasn't the only company cranking out disposable cars but they were one of the worst offenders because they're a huge company with huge manufacturing capacity so they cold churn out acres of crappy cars a day.

>good looking
>90's GM cars
there is like 1

In the midwest I see like twenty late 90's h-body cars like the Buick LeSabre and Pontiac Bonneville every day. Some in decent shape, some crapped out, but tons of 20 year old cars on the road.

average 24mpg in my bonneville with the 3800

>there is like 1
So post it.

There are fucking assloads of Grand Ams still on the road where I am right now.

its amazing just how much of a GM shitbox can rot away around the drivetrain before it won't run and drive anymore. I've been saying for years that maintenance on the J body is completely optional if you wan't to get 200K miles out of one.

Seriously they are Every where driven by single mothers and welfare queens, and the cars send up enough blue and white smoke to track them from space, BUT THEY JUST WON'T DIE.

>roadmaster
>shit reliability

Mentioned it in a few other threads, but a base model Lumina with the iron block 3.1 fleet engine is basically immortal as long as you remember to change the oil once on a while.

A Bonneville isn't nearly as big or have a 5.7L V8. My Crown Vic averages 16mpg, I would think a Roadmaster would be even worse than that.

Nah, from most of the data I've seen the Caprice/Roadmaster averaged about as well as the panthuurrrs.

What mostly did GM cars in was electrical problems, not drivetrain.
Especially when Buick and Oldsmobile were fucking around with digital dashboard shit.
Buying an old GM sedan is like buying an old French hatchback. Stick to the base model, there's less to go wrong.

Roadmasters didn't disappear because they weren't reliable, they disappeared because they depreciated so badly when gas was expensive that you could total one out by smashing the grill.

It's part of the natural lifestyle of many mass market cars, they get so cheap that they become popular with the kids do of human trash that will choose buying cigarettes over doing maintenace, which ruins their reputation, which devalues them further, which makes it uneconomical to fix them when they break or get damaged in a wreck.

Then they disappear from the face of the earth.

I call it the white trash death spiral, but I suppose that it'd be all poor shitty people who participate, not just white trash, I'm just only exposed to white trash.

>shit reliability
>body on frame, RWD with standard GM small block V8, auto tranny and rear diff
It's not reliability that killed them, it's rust and Cash 4 Clunkers.

That 5.7 is god tier, wtf u talking about. The real reason was that they stopped making them 20 years ago. The buyer base moved on to SUV's and the scraps were left to niggers and 16 year olds.

yeah I had a 3.4 2004 impala. constantly did burnouts on dry and wet winter roads every day with half a quart of oil(dipstick was lying to me) cold on a fucked trans with 250k km for a few months. It was fucking awesome when I put a fart cannon on it. W and H body cars are severely underrated if you don't abuse the trans and don't care about it being FWD.

>It's another "why don't we see more 20+ year old cars anymore" episode
What is attrition?

Yeah, like said it's mostly electrical issues (lol cavalier ignition switch) not the drivetrain.
The worst GM cars of the era were the Oldsmobiles because they had so many gadgets that electrical issues were never ending.

Grandpa dies and nobody wants the grandpa car and it gets sold to the scrap guys.

Something major goes and people decide not to fix it and lease a shitbox instead.

Or they were bought by a methhead from some grandpa and run into the ground.

Probably the greatest example of this phenomenon was actually the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.
Rolls over produced so the used ones were worthless and every sleazeball was tooling around in one until they just fell apart.
Now the only ones that are left have become ironic classics.
Same thing is happening to the Roadmaster wagons. Their value has been steadily creeping up as the junkers get retired.
We're already looking at the start of the landbarge renaissance now that the 70s Japrod craze has depleted its cheap supply.

>tfw you'll be able to say you got in on the barge crazy before it was cool
#CrownHipstoria

My dad has driven a Roadmaster for the past five years or so, and it's been pretty good so far, except for having a slightly dodgy starter (the thing takes forever to crank, and he insists there's nothing wrong with it), and making a weird noise that makes me think something is wrong with one of the axles (it's a weird oscillating noise the car makes while in motion, and my dad swears he can't hear it). Honestly, sometimes it sounds to me like it's going to die or fall apart, but it never has. Like others have said, the gas mileage is a real killer for these things, even though he loves the car, he says if he needed to use it for a normal commute he would just get rid of the thing. Even only diving a few days a week in town, he still needs to spend about $100 in gas a month.

One of the weird pluses of the car, according to him is all the compliments he gets from black guys, who all still seem to love landbarges.

Too late, barges have always been cool, you just weren't cool enough to know

The real question is: what supply of cars is going to be cheap enough to kick off the next craze after the barges are all used up? CUVs? Korean hatchbacks?
Poorfags always love outdated status symbols, it's just that a greater percentage of blacks are poorfags so it's more noticable.
If you roll through poor white meth country you will notice many a yards full of neglected old luxoboats.