Project Thread

What are you wrenching on over the three day weekend br/o/thers?

bump because faggots dont actually work on cars here

Not everyone is wrenching all the time.
Just did oil/filter/coolant/thermostat/flush this morning.
Currently looking at what ECU is worth my time (looks like MS3), intake cams and a fujitsubo exhaust. Really need to redo my cam cover seal but honestly can't be fucked.

Also looking at headers but poor gain for money, likely going turbo in the future anyway.

yeah, dont waste your money. unless you're trying to squeeze every single once of power out of your engine, cheap log headers will do fine

(Pic similar but not the actual parts)

I'm replacing my entire power steering system in my 79 Camaro. Pump, reservoir, gearbox, and both lines

Really depends on the car. On a stock gen one small block with the cast iron smog era exhaust manifolds u gain up to 70hp switching to good headers according to hotrodders and superChevy. The stock manifold are extremely restrictive

Changed my front 2 calipers and all my brake hoses for steel braded hoses.

Next up, is to install my baffled oil pan and oil cooler.

Replacing my 80hp 1.6L engine with a 150hp 2.0L one

Probably a waste of time maybe but before I started I didn't know a crankshaft from a camshaft

Goddamn main shaft speed sensor is busted, and it won't come out with pliers or priers, I changed spark plugs today but I need to get back to this mutilated thing, the chinsy plastic broke off while I was trying to get it out

Fresh shitbox to race then demo.

Got the shitty 350 out today, big ole 80E goin in tomorrow. pls ignore the mess

Waiting for my aluminum radiator to show up, then a quick swap during the week

god i hate those older turbo/4l60e's

This one was a trooper, took loads of abuse. I kinda want to open it just to see how it is.

had a 320rwhp ls1 going though mine and it blew up after 10k miles in a year

Absolute turd trans only had 150k miles on it

Re did all wastegate lines with thick ebay silicone hose, re did my turbo drain line, tapped my manifold for a 1/4 inch fitting to actuate my tial bov properly, rotella t6 oil change, new fender liner so i can run my turbo filterless again, installed a boost gauge.

>320rwhp
A CAI on a factory 300hp@crank LS1 does not give 320rwhp.
>it blew up after 10k miles in a year
That's because you drive like a potato.

>ls1
>300 crank

lmao at your life

they made 345-350bhp, no matter what vehicle, HP ratings that differed were for marketing purposes

>they made...
Sure thing mate. The dyno'd factory standard LS1 VT-VX Commodores (rated 290-300hp@crank) regularly 230-250rwhp. Consider that the factory 350hp models (which were HSV offerings at the time) had physically different valvetrain and camshaft profile.

You are speaking of shitstralian vehicles, many a "325hp" camaro SS 4th gens were pushing an even 300whp

>all that rotor rust

holy fuck drive that thing

>You are speaking of shitstralian vehicles
So was

Exhaust is a good performance gain as it also improves efficiency.

mafless tune with dual 2.5" was like 330rwhp

Dont be retard

I don't get 3 day weekends, and although its warming up, its still -5c here at home so working on my truck won't happen...

>Miles
>Australia

>turns out Australians dumb things down so Americans can understand

>Trying to cover up my stupidity
It's okay. Just come to terms with it and move on with your life.

It snowed about 25cm in the past two days here. I just hope I don't have to wrench the next few days as I don't have a heated garage.

finally got the bugger out with plyers, took a day but it's finally out

I recognized the parts before reading your post. '80 Z28 here.

Its strictly a summer car.

What's a good car to start learning from?
I was eyeballing cheap miatas to turbo, but I like the looks of the e34 m5.
Hondas are also a cheap option here, I could probably get a type s prelude for 3k, but not sure about turboing a fwd h22a

Oh shit I didn't put that many miles on it after my swap but it couldn't have been more than 5k. God knows how many it had when it was with the 350 but that thing was a total dog.

I had a cam and springs 5.3 with a 3800 stall converter, probably pushed the same amount too

Rebuilding this piece of shit

Going from 3.0 to 3.8 with VVT

My Land Rover. Needs a new water pump, new battery and I think the fuel tank has a slight leak when over half full. Only just noticed that though so I’m not entirely sure.

You'll need your computer flashed to run at a 3.8.

spray some oil on the rotors when you leave the car. Oil with silicone is best for the job.
When you pick up the car for summer, oil's dripped off and an invisible layer of silicone is there until you brake for the first time.
Also: polish your headlamps, they look worn

B I G S I N G L E

Currently building a 2bolt 1974 350 into a 383 with vortec heads and a lunati voodoo cam. Ive done all the math and am swapping my valve springs. I should be at 10.25 compression in the 400hp range
Its going into a 74 nova. I really wanna swap the trans for a th400 and swap to a 3.73 limited slip diff but, yknow, money....

Race me jabroni

Rebuilding a stock 5.7 vortec to fit a carb
And doing the cheapest performance build on another 1976 350 as well.
Im hunting down the cheapest possible trannies i can to mate them to these blocks and then im putting them into whatever bodies i can find. Thinking turd gen camaro and a vega or el camino due to cheapness.
Also rebuilding the top end of an 88 tbi silverado, replacing the maf and iacv on an 01 pathfinder LE, and fixing the negative battery cable, sail trim, rear qrtr window, and e brake light on a 98 gt mustang

well today I had a minor scare

>go to replace spark plugs
>easy job, finish up
>start up car
>engine is really jerky, must be something wrong on one of the plugs
>check engine light
>cylinder 1 misfire
>fuck how did I mess up the easiest of maintenance
>remove coil pack on cylinder 1
>put it back on
>runs fine now

>nofilter

Dyno results.
>falcunt
>American
You know what? You can have the retard, retard.

Rebuilding and modifying a 50cc Peugeot XPS. Gonna be fucking mint when done.

I'm going to be perfectly honest. I need to redo my entire air intake thing on my s10. I just don't know if I can cause idk what my mad is like. Does any one know on a 1994s10 2.2 if the MAF is a normal tube thing?

I'm pretty new to cars, just started at a parts place a few months back and damnit I'm hooked

dont have any yet th e old one was bang on 320rwhp i think

running the new engine in and getting a more final result next week or so with new injectors

>dont have any yet th e old one was this number I made up
Sorry Sean, tall tales don't maketh results. Interested to see what your results end up being though.

same they said they made 265rwkw on 98 octane with stock injectors but that was before the engine was run in, put about 2000km on it now and ill report back what it makes when i get the final dyno

my heart

No worries. Make sure to request the readout graph to satisfy the autists such as myself.

i intend to sir

bump

Meet me here bromigo

[spoiler];_;[/spoiler]

Waiting for coolant and new radiator hose to arrive so I can replace my stuck-open thermostat.

Thanks for the tip, sempai.

Replacing my power steering pump, coil packs and spark plugs, mass airflow sensor, and fuel pump

what is 98 octane in actual american octane

some day i will get a restoration done, now im just waiting for dry season so i can drive

what you'd call premium 92-93 in aki

TH350: Best transmission choice, hands down.
Excellent gear spread between all three gears. Very low cost to build up to various levels of power handling. Can be built up to extreme power handling capabilities. Most all transmission shops are capable of building these to at least level 1 or 2. No TV cable to deal with. Stall converters are low in cost, and the selection is broad. Very reliable and simple to repair if needed.
Cons
• None, simply none! Select a final gear that will allow you the best overall performance and one that allows a decent off the line acceleration, and one that will be in a tolerable rpm range at highway speed. You must have the correct stall converter for optimal performance. This can make a huge difference in the way your vehicle accelerates.
• These are becoming scarce, but there are still plenty of them around, and high performance parts are easily obtained.
• You may have to go through this long story to your less than knowledgeable friends as to why you didn't choose a 700R4, and when you explain it to them, they may still think you don't know what you’re talking about.

Colin?

Whenever you want it!

After I fix the steering that is

>tfw still need to put an exhaust on it, install the new radiator and do the wiring for the new fuel pump and port EFI system
>tfw its fucking cold in my garage and fuck doing anything until the weather gets a little warmer and I dont freeze my nuts off despite the heater

Mines almost done just gotta repair the steering which i got most of the way through with this weekdn but i lost the pitman arm nut and washer, and turned out I need a pump mounting bracket my current one won't work without AC installed. After i just gotta change a cracked tail light then she's off to paint and body. Still want to put a 4.10 posi in the rear but id probably have a shop do that. I'm doing small cosmetic things atm too like the rear wheel flares and window louvers. The engine and transmission are all set minus the PS. Turned into quite the project

Brought a beater car. I'm a broke ass uni student but I've been trying to restore it. I'm so fucking happy with the progress I'm making. I didn't even know what the fuck a ratchet was when I started.

Done:
>Head light lenses restored
>Driver's seat tear has been sewn
>Middle brake light is reconnected, fixed, and bulb swapped (so much fucking electrical tape)
>Right brake light is fixed; the loom was fucked so it needed to be replaced
>Number plate gloves are replaced
>Engine bay is cleaned to my autistic levels of clenliness
>Engine starts now; starter motor (a real bitch on this model) is replaced. Took me fucking ages but I was so proud afterwards, especially since everybody tried to tell me it wasn't the starter motor
>Battery terminal clamps swapped
>Front parker globes replaced
>Front parking lights both working now (left one had an issue)
>Highbeams work now; still not sure why they were being annoying
>Full oil change and new oil filter
>Cleaned to the point of it not looking incredibly shit
>New tires and wheels are all matching
>Interior has been cleaned within an inch of it's life; I've vacuumed, steam cleaned and used an upholstery cleaner. I think you can even sit in it without the risk of an STI now

Still need to do:
>Replace steering wheel
>Figure out if the windscreen needs repairs
>Swap wiper blades (have them now; just don't wanna swap them until windscreen is unfucked)
>Replace front shocks
>Replace all disc rotors (figured out where to get them fairly cheap)
>Center muffler has a hole
>Need to figure out why the fuck there's a small oil deposit outside the oil filter
>Hand brake needs adjusting
>Need to figure out why the horn is fucked
>Potentially changing brake pads

It's a massive list, and all the expensive shit is still to come. But I'm kinda proud of myself for teaching myself how to do all this stuff. Soon my project car will actually not be a shitheap.