W211 VS A4 B7 Avant

What is Veeky Forums‘s opinion on both? I want either the 220cdi or the 2.0tdi, any reliability issues? Which one would you get?

w211 if facelift without a doubt
w211 if non facelift 2004-2006 and if you arent afraid to do some maintenance yourself
a6 if you are a massive faggot who wants to buy a lower class car for some reason

W211 without a question. The Audi will become an electronic failing nightmare plus modern era Audis are so tightly spaced under the hood the dealers have to remove the entire front end just to change the fucking oil. Benz FTW

I had a 220cdi for 10 years and not a single issue, only regular maintenance. Pretty solid car, not the fastest but really comfy and nice sound system.

Forgot about the mercedes 200cdi w211, oops. Test drove one once and it seemed to be pretty good for a 120hp merc

I could find a facelift 211, but it would have too many miles ( bc budget )
My only concern is that SRS braking bs, can you reset it by yourself? How much would it cost to do it at mercedes?
Just thought the a4 avant looked nice but i’ve never been a fan of VAG, and i grew up in mercedeses so yeah i like them more

About the front end removal thing, it happened to a friends father actually
Audi doesnt seems that good in the end lol

Do you have the automatic gearbox? Do you do the oil change every 40k miles or so?

I know a guy with a W211 E350 4matic and also one with a B7 2.0TDI(the rarer 120kw) quattro.
The W211 guy will probably kill himself soon. First it started with the 4matic going wrong so i guess its rwd now i dont know what happened there. Then airmatic decided to give out which was "fixed" by some questionable shop afaik and now the front is lower than rear but whatever. Yesterday we were all dicking around a icy parking lot and his transmission locked it self into 3rd gear after he did 2 donuts. Im actually surprised by that since the 722.6 is reliable.
The guy with the B7 is pretty happy with his car. DPF removed and remapped, he says its 200hp but i doubt it, still slow. He had some issues with the steering rack and front suspension but other than that its been good. Even though its an Audi it doesnt even leak oil anywhere.

Those are just my 2 anecdotes but honestly i have never heard anything positive from W211 owners. I personally do like mercedes and i drive a audi. I would avoid the W211 and go for a C6 A6 instead. Out of the big 3 of that period (W211, C6, E60) the merc is a big gamble, especially pre facelift.
The B7 would be easier to own but the equipment and ride comfort is nowhere near the benz.

>who should i trust

Some of your friend’s problems must be due to the 4matic but well i dont know :/
About the A6, i couldnt afford it since its still pretty expensive here, and i dont really like the e60..

Only reason to go for the Audi would be if you absolutely need that AWD traction.
Otherwise don't even bother.

You cant even have the quattro mode with the 2.0 actually :/ kind of solves the problem

check the prices again. In my area w211 starts at 4k€ and the cheapest C6 is 4,5k€. Not really much of a difference especially considering you should budget another 1-2k for unexpected repairs. So therefore atleast 5k for a decent car+more for maintenance and shit.
You can get cheap comfort and luxury by going with a late model C5 A6. I have one and i love it. If you get one with a fresh timing belt and new DMF/Automatic trans you have nothing to worry about.

Pretty sure the early 2.0 TDIs are a train wreck anyway, not sure if the B7 got the fixed ones.

Wrong. B7 2.0tdi gets the real torsen quattro.

>C5
Lol front control arms

Also C4 is even cheaper and a seriously comfy slab of steel.

Front control arms is absolutely nothing compared to rusting mercedes and always broken bmw's. Besides you only have to change them once.
I'd like a C4 but all of them are diesels here. There are some S6 for sale but even those are 2.5TDI swapped so yeah.

The 5cyl 2.5 TDI is ridiculously solid, the V6 2.5 TDI is a nightmare.

Also
>TDI swapping an UrS6
Why are people like this

fpbp

audi is for poorfags who care about nothing but a badge.
You'll be a massive fag for driving a poorfag audi, aka every audi more than 5 years old including performance model with fwduattro

>TDI
>CDI

дyшeгyбкa

i know its solid but its still a fucking tractor engine.Its just that everyone in the east is such a diesel fanatic.
true

Is this the world famous JüdenGässer9000? The mobile gas chamber that terrorized the countrysides of eastern europe?

Well im not really into the c5 or the c4.
Reminds me of skoda octavias

I didnt know that, sry

Why do people do that

Dont ever post that shit ever again

It still does only now in form of half broken diesels from German scrapyards.

RWD (no 4matic bullshit) manual. As i said not a single issue.

Yea except the only manuals are 2 liter diesels. The 5G tronic auto is solid, nothing wrong with it, actually most mercedes powertrains are bulletproof.
Electronics and airmatic are the main issues.

>e200
nah dude too little power
just get a e270 and enjoy the 5pot
when buying make sure it has a smooth grill on the center vent(look at pic) that means its has handput wiring and shit wont break like shit

About the SBC
if its not the pump itself broken you can get a tool for like 10-20$ to reset it yourself but if its broken you can fix it yourself or just get a 2nd hand working one

Get an auto its way more reliable than the manual too
Everyone likes to shitpost about dailmer chrysler reliability but I havent had anything really go wrong on my C220 CDI from 2001 (I pay around 50 euros a month for different shit that breaks like engine mount/trans mount/brake pads but I fix whatever I can myself)
As far as I know the audis break wishbones and I couldnt live with myself if I bought a car with that interior I mean look at the armrest it looks like everything was put there the last minute and ofc its FWD

and as the other user said powertrain is bulletproof but electronics fucking suck and stay away from airmatic and even the wagons because a friend of mine has a wagon and his rear susp leaked and he changed 1 side only and then his other side died ....
I am selling my merc atm and thought of getting an e270cdi but I looked into e90 320d and it seems like a better choice for me because I want a wagon but w211 wagon is too big and I want something sportier maybe you could look into them idk

>e270

Lot's of issues with those, like on every older german car everything made of plastics will fail and this engine has some plastic flaps right in the intake.

Friend had ml270 and it was broken all the time with countless issues.

>>e270
>Lot's of issues with those, like on every older german car everything made of plastics will fail and this engine has some plastic flaps right in the intake.
what
>Friend had ml270 and it was broken all the time with countless issues.
thats because its an ML

I have something to show you user
They are with the same bore/stroke n shit just with 1/2 more cylinders
pretty sure they just have bigger turbos or some shit
oh and the engine in the ml270 and e270 is different if the ml is older year

>the dealers have to remove the entire front end just to change the fucking oil.
That's funny, don't see that in ELSA-WIN as a procedure.

yea this. I cant think of single car that requires a front end removal for simple maintenance.
Had to do that on my A6 to change the timing belt and its just 5 screws anyways, i really dont understand the hate towards Audi and VAG cars on this board.

I honestly don't know. These cars are easy as fuck to work on and there's a shit ton of documentation easily available if you decide to wrench yourself.

I honestly at this point can only guess it's jealousy and ignorance and repeating the memes of those previously mentioned.

Just bought a b7 a4 quattro sedan s-line with the 2.0 turbo. Its a fun ass little car, and you can get them with low mileage for cheap.