Why doesn't GM make a dohc ls based engine?

Why doesn't GM make a dohc ls based engine?

Even aftermarket companies make them

mercuryracing.com/automotive/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RM-87dmldl8
youtube.com/watch?v=N6OO8yXmsKI&t=22s
youtube.com/watch?v=oeps18chvC0&t=2s
youtu.be/OZDAHMPmIAk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

overcomplication for the sake of nothing
makes it heavier too

Because GM doesnt like taking risks. They will do the same shit till they are bailed out again

Word is the next gen GM small block is moving to DOHC, and will launch with the MR C8 Corvette

It's a lot bigger than a normal LS and doesn't make as much torque. You could achieve the same thing using a LS with streetable compression. 560lbs isn't horrible but I'm assuming that's dry which is iron block LS weight with fluids.

But it revs way higher, it would probably be good for a track car if you can balance the weight

>doesn't make as much torque
how does cam placement decide that?

You can make an LS screamer. It's been done. Hell, the LS7 revs to over 7k

it doesn't. The powerband and way air is delivered, both of which are altered by DOHC, make a huge difference in how torque is produced.

Weight and size would increase, as would cost

>wanting roller lifters over dohc
this was at 6450rpm redline btw

GM did actually consider DOHC for the LS, and held an in-house track day where their engineers test drove an LT1 with aftermarket DOHC heads vs the same with a really well ported OHC head without knowing which car had which. They all picked the pushrod engined car as the best all round performer. This is all in 1993-1995 prior to the introduction of the LS1 in the Corvette in 1997

>torque
>weight of the engine
>relevant

It's sure as fuck relevant when you have an already fat body to drag around. Real cars aren't 1500lb race cars kid.

is there a article on this?

would make for a fascinating read

t. ls1

uh no, fake news. thats what happens if a lifter spins in the bore. a roller lifter will have a "dogbone" to hold the rollers parallel to the lobe. a solid roller can easily spin to 8k+

youtube.com/watch?v=RM-87dmldl8

size is a big concern.
On the left, a 1.8L DOHC I4 from a Mazda Miata.
On the right, a 6.0L LS2 from a GTO

then where do these other car mfgs get space for their dohc v8s? they make it

another one

youtube.com/watch?v=N6OO8yXmsKI&t=22s

Isn't that the size difference between a straight engine vs a V engine

youtube.com/watch?v=oeps18chvC0&t=2s

and another.

>Nelshit racing scams
nope

back in the old days (1990s) you needed dohc to achieve high rpm in a v8 but now with advances in technology in the material of the pushrods etc you can rev an LS based engine to 6000 rpm, you can also go higher if you can the cam and springs etc. Even bentley still uses pushrods, dohc is best used on smaller engines.
For an older car, pushrods are very simple to maintain, just look at all the old audi v8s from the early 90s, most of them ended up in junkyards because they were so expensive to fix but it is common to see very old non dohc v8 engines still run fine.

on the left, a 6.2L LS3 from a Camaro.
On the right, a 5.0L Coyote V8 from a Mustang.

well i have not opinion either way, too expensive for me, but the point is that the right setup on a pushrod motor can be spun up to crazy RPM

youtu.be/OZDAHMPmIAk

They tried it with the C4 ZR1, - and they went right back to pushrods.

DOHC mid-engined Corvettes have been rumoured since Zora took over. How in the hell would they make that at the current pricepoint? Maybe the C8 is where you get a separate mid-engined ZR1 model, with the base and Z06 versions being front engined.

They design the entire chassis around it, which means the chassis suffers. DOHC "small block" V8's have the packaging of a pushrod big block.

It's the size difference between a straight DOHC engine and a cam-in-block V. Still, a V engine always has superior packaging compared to a straight engine if you have more than four cylinders.

Back in 1978, Honda made a pushrod, four-valve V engine that revved to 9000RPM, and put it into regular production. Other manufacturers just can't compete.

Because the Alloytec LFX SIDI is better falcunt.

.t hsp

>.t
get of the lsd

Why would someone want a larger, heavier and less powerful LS engine?

To save the enviormen

delusional

pushrod fags don't know you can just make an engine bay bigger

>which means the chassis suffers.

no it doesn't, stop shitposting you dumb pushrod fangirl

>only 9000rpm

post an LS engine faster than this DOHC v8

At this point they can resurrect Corvair for the mid-engined sportscar.

>MUH REVS
throw in a dz302 blueprinted cam and swap some heads on there for better flow and you'll have a 10k rpm+ monster

>all these people forgetting that the reason you sacrifice torque is for the better airflow
DOHC engines take boost like fucking heroin addicts, the extra airflow from the head design can churn out monstrous horsepower.
>koenigsegg
>Ferrari
>Ford
All make or made cars well into the 750-1500hp range with single turbo DOHC engines.

And don't even get me started on that added 1500 recline over pushed blocks.

I can go out and drop $30k on a 2000hp TT BBC pushrod crate engine. Where's all the 2000hp dohc crate engines at? Why is amature drag racing dominated by pushrod V8's? I'm sure people would be all over modulars if they made 3000hp so effortlessly.

Uhm, The Corvair and not the Fiero?
The Corvair which was killed for gassing it's occupants and exploding or the Fiero which was killed because the 2nd gen prototype was faster around a track than the Corvette?
It was literally killed because Pontiac made it too "good" at being a sports car and it would steal Corvette sales.

Why does redline matter if you're still making lower peak hp? Generally (not always so don't cherry pick this shit), low revving high torque motors make more power across the rev range (area under the curve etc), so for non-cvt transmissions, means you go faster. Why do I want a peaky, high revving engine that actually produces less power on the road and track?

And before you mention forced induction, you can charge a push rod as well. Apples to apples the brute force in a small package of most push rod engines is superior.