/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic General. Here we talk all about everything Sonic! Share art and music, discuss about new developments, ROM hacks, speedrunning, comics, and more!

/sthg/ #885 - Mad Rat Edition

>Sonic News

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7z1Hjtklq60
imgur.com/U6dDona
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

WORKED THAT SUCKA TO DEATH

>bakers in charge of making bread

this ride isn't over yet, much as i'm sure many of us would like it to be

So jealous of consolefags right now.
I haven't anticipated a game this hard since I was 10 years old.

Bring back Fang and the hooligans full time

>bro with a switch keeps texting me about how much fun he's having with mania
I'm with ya user, the wait is killing me

I'm over that after actually seeing more of the stages.

I want to rip the cock off the fucker who designed Mania's special stages. Why in the actual hell would you deliberately design a 3D game system that plays terribly in a game that's meant to be a return to Sonic's 2D roots, and then design each of those levels in such a way that you have to either be ridiculously lucky or replay the stage multiple times to learn the optimal path to catch the UFO.
I get that Blue Sphere is too easy, but the way the special stages are handled is just needlessly frustrating and due to the complete lack of confidence that you'll be able to get an Emerald whenever you find a special stage ring, most players just grind a stage for easy to find rings instead of actually exploring and playing the game.

Why could it not have been something like Advance 2 or Sonic 2 8-bit, where you just have to find the Emerald or a couple of tokens in the level to get the Emerald. Who thought it was a good idea to destroy the reward for exploration by locking it behind a deliberately awkward and unfun minigame? It was shit in CD, did they really think it'd be better here.

zzzz.......

Does anyone actually enjoy the special stages, though? Aside from whether or not you find them unbearable, does anyone really feel "Yes, I love chasing this UFO in knockoff Sonic R?"

Anyone know how this fucker is doing in Mania? Is he getting his ass blown out?

I didn't really have any problem with them. Sounds to me like some people are just upset that they can't effortlessly succeed at something on their first attempt.

The music plays a big part in the enjoyment and Mach Speed 3 is pretty good. They're actually really easy once you know general tricks to the movement.

Literally just play S3&K.
Mania is good, but the only really great NEW elements are aesthetic. Most of the new bosses are cool only the first time you fight them, and the new Zones are visually awesome but tend to center too heavily on gimmicks at the detriment of smooth gameplay, imo.
Special Stages are hit-or-miss, some people like
will hate them.
And the controls are just flat out fucking S3&K, they didn't even try to modernize them the slightest bit so you still get annoying input cancellations (game can't register Down at the same time as Right, you smack right into an enemy at top speed instead of rolling).

It's a great track but it doesn't feel very Sonicy in my opinion. To me it sounds like music that would play in a lively town in an RPG or maybe an early level in adventure game. It has a very "hero setting off on a journey" vibe rather than "final level of the game where shit starts getting real" feel.

I think I am disappointed because I realize there will never be a spiritual successor to the Sonic Advance series.

>input cancellations
dude wtf my controller is droppin my inputs!!!!!

it's fun!

What issue is that image from?

I share your opinion.

I wouldn't have a problem learning the stages over multiple attempts if I didn't also have to scour every stage, within a ten-minute time limit, or just abuse NG+ mechanics to do so. They could have canned Blue Sphere and just put the Special Stages in the goal rings and it would have worked a lot better (though I like the incentive to explore).

They're really easy once you've already learned each stage, sure. They're not even really difficult, the controls are just braindead. Challenge shouldn't come from forcibly handicapping the player.

Mania literally can't register two button presses under certain conditions. I'm not actually sure if it's due to input cancellation or just how the game handles sprites changing or what, but it's been a thing since the first Sonic.
It's not really a big deal, just a pet peeve. Calm your shitposting, Phil.

do you show off? Do you criticize? Are you just living by your own feelings?

What would Sonic say if he way what you were doing right now?

personally i fucking hate them, but i love seeing shit like this regardless

youtube.com/watch?v=7z1Hjtklq60

It is just...I think the Advance series, with more care put into level design (helped with a better resolution) probably could have had an installment as good as S3K, but with classic Sonic coming in this will never happen.

He would be proud of my objectively superior taste.

Shoutouts to the F-Zero GX speedrunning community for finding that glitch like 15 years ago.

You forgot
>oil ocean 2
>as Knuckles
I'm there right now on a file with 5 Emeralds and 10 lives, and I've pretty much just abandoned it.

Advance 2 with a new coat of paint and the Taxman treatment would be great. Sky Canyon's gotta get fixed though, fuuuck that stage.

Yes Amy...sleep..

forever.

Adventure Sonic would see a failure and leave without saying anything.

Sonic X Sonic would give me a cheesy but endearing "get your shit together" pep talk.

Sonic Boom Sonic would say that laying around doing nothing when you're supposed to be working is awesome and that there's nothing wrong with procrastinating and being useless especially when there's someone else to do it all for you

It is surprising how much people bicker about the best Sonic Advance game, I really do think that show they are all very good.

whats wrong with underground?

Boom Sonic needs a good smack then.

Fleetway Sonic would call you a faggot

Dude, Sky Canyon is broked
The special stage rings could be changed too, its really awful to have to get every ring in one life and then do the annoying special stage. If it just remembered which rings you had gotten in each stage and let you do them non-consecutively it'd be much better.

Other than that, Advance 2 is pretty awesome. The multiple characters were great, and the stages are pretty memorable (Ice Paradise and Music Plant a best)

>dat filename
Silly user, Tails is a fox

So Knuckles hasn't been a chad since Shadow the hedgehog?

Sonic's mom is fuckin' hot.

What if Infinite rapes Amy and she gets impregnated by his seed

It's a shame her children made a vow but she was never found

mods

cum is infinite

Stop.

Heroes is the greatest Sonic game honestly, I don't wanna hear it

what if we don't do this shit again you sick fuck

Pretty sure you're the only person who does want to hear it.

the kirb is upset

If all of the Sonic characters were in a band, what instruments would they play?

Sonic - guitar and vocals
Amy - drums and back up vocals
Tails - moral support
Shadow - bass
Blaze - piano
Silver - triangle

Infinite is Amy

I don't know what you're smoking. obviously it's knuckles on drums

tails would play three different keyboard/synthesizers at once and handle all the weird effects

sonic would shred on the guiter and shadow would be the edgy bass player who always thinks his instrument is underrated

amy can be the waifu, i guess

they can be the Hellhogs and play speed metal

What genre?
I pick Jazz

Rouge - vocals
Knuckles - backing vocals
Vector - bass / guitar
Tails - trombone
Amy - saxophone
Sonic - organ

Sonic Heroes felt like one long tutorial.

So I'm thinking about writing some lengthy Sonic fan fiction. It'll be a rebooted setting, which is already a little cheesy, I know, but I want to adhere somewhat to a familiar timeline and that feels like the best way to go about this sort of thing.

While I have a number of ideas kicking around, I'm curious what sorts of things people here would want. If you were in charge of doing things to "fix" or otherwise improve the story and or characters from the timeline spanning from Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) to Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)?

I agree. It doesn't help that even in Hang Castle they're still explaining what the light dash is and have all of those signs around

do yourself a favor

don't write lengthy sonic fan fiction

Fuck him, do it anyway

If Sonic was a train what kind would he be? What he have magnets in his wheels or just inside the doors?

he would be a bullet train

sonic made me get over my fear of water and drowning, what did sonic did for your life /sthg/?

I'd draw comics, but I have pretty limited artistic talent outside of design. Instead I'll just include some illustrations with help from a friend of mine to accompany scenes rather than have to deal with the much greater task of actual comic making.

What are you doing? Fear drives the man. You should stay very afraid of the water.

well, you can't be afraid forever.

Made me a furry.

I used to be extremely picky about what foods I ate. You know those greentexts about adults eating nothing but tendies? That was me, but not an overweight basement dwelling NEET. Everything about eating nothing but tendies (NO FUCKING NUGGIES) was me. Anyway, I decided to try chili dogs because of Sonic. It took awhile to work my way up. First I tried chili and loved it. Then I tried hot dogs and they were okay. Finally I tried chili dogs and loved them. After that I started making my own chili and forced myself to experiment with new ingredients. Now I cook all of my meals myself and use tons of spices and different cuts of meats and vegetables. I even grow my own rosemary and basil. I haven't bought frozen tendies in years. When I go out to eat I don't have to order off the kids' menu anymore

Sonic helped me become a competent adult

God I want to destroy her.

>every art teacher i had was a pretentious liberal arts type who disliked me at best
>always given mediocre grades for my art, even when i tried my hardest

It broke my esteem but it was a wake up call. I like drawing for fun but I'm not an artistic person

any cooking recommendations while we wait for Mania?

When I was 12 I bought the Sonic OVA on VHS. I watched it and loved it. Two weeks later I was hit by a car and this was the only thing I watched for weeks. I was too weak to get out of bed to find another movie to watch. My video games were hooked up to a different TV so I had nothing to play. Internet wasn't really a thing yet either so all I had was Sonic. This probably sounds extremely autistic but I feel like Sonic has always been there for me because of this. He was around during the best times of my life and the absolute worst. I can't say that about my family or friends. Just Sonic.

>Rouge - vocals

I could see them as some kind of post war nightclub

*Cosmic Eternity Plays Slowly in the Background*

I made farro salad recently and it was delicious. It's mostly just farro and some herbs and spices boiled in chicken broth. Throw in some roasted tomatoes and chicken and it's a nice lunch. You can eat it warm or cold.

Any meals that that require some kind of overnight prep would be good while we wait for Mania, like chili or a steak . Having a nice meal to look forward to will make the week go by quicker

Source me up please. Google gives me nothing.

sounds fantastic, i will get my cousin to do it.

i read that in shadow's voice, amazing

Hedgehogs need to become everything!

these are some base colors i've made using vertex colors to generate the base texture. i'm going to fix the transitions between the different colors as well as add some freckles and spots like an actual deer.

how's it look so far?
what colors are bump's eyes? some images show grey, others show blue, purple, cyan, and even green.
brown nips or pink?
should i have the light-tan color run from her crack all the way to her belly and chest (a bit like sally acorn)?

you probably should have spoilered that image

Lots of 3 day breaks probably coming up.

Couldn't find a source but here's a link to the image.
imgur.com/U6dDona

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks

Everyone, I need the absolute worst Archie art!

No idea if that guy is still here from a few threads back but Switch eshop just added paypay as an option.

why doesn't anyone want to FUCK Amy in the ARCHIE comics?

I don't see it

I see areola user
Enjoy your vacation

What's silver deathly reacting to, /sthg/?
Also went for a slightly more cartoony expression, do you think it turned out okay?

Nuff said

oh fuck

because Rouge is hotter and Honey made an appearance

Clove exists.

My African American ally.

Just because there's sexier women doesn't mean other (cute) women won't get fucked. That's not how it works

I don't really wanna stick my dick in "cute".

I was kind of quietly hoping there'd be a Mania patch that would fill in the missing story bits, but I guess that's not a thing? It's legit my only real complaint about the game.

I think people assumed the game wasn't finished with all the bugs people had been finding, but I guess they just aren't going to patch it unless it'll come simultaneously with the PC release, which is doubtful

It is pretty lazy to just give up on telling a story for half the game when they promoted that the level transitions were coming back. The game was even delayed already, what were they even doing the last few months?