In the Netherlands you don't pay road tax if you're driving a car that's at least 40 years old. What's a good...

In the Netherlands you don't pay road tax if you're driving a car that's at least 40 years old. What's a good, reliable car from 1978 or before that's below 5k?

Sage

Really nothing that old. Even if it was kept rust free (unlikely I’d assume in the below sea level Netherlands) there’ll be metal rot setting in.

Volvo 240. The '70s ones are actually more reliable than the 80-87 ones because the harnesses aren't biodegradable. The D Jet system can be a pig to keep up though.

I guarantee road tax is less than you'll spend maintaining a 40 year old car. Its already hard enough to maintain a 25 year old car.

Get any 40 yo shitbox and swap a modern engine into it and get in reinspected by the RDW. If its a commuter you could consider just getting a motorcycle

Model T

>reliable
>ford

Nopppppeee.

An old Landrover. You need to know about car mechanics. The aluminum body parts don't rust.

Golf Mk1

you absolute dip.
the money you save with this is nothing to the money you will have to spend on maintenance, fixing shit and fuel.

and no, it is not true that a w123 doesn't need maintenance, don't even come with this idiotic meme.

this would probably be your best bet if you really wanna do this.

the 70's and early 80's ones are more prone to rust tho.. if the previous owners didn't coat it good chance some areas will be cheese or simply gone

i own a '87, no problems with the wiring so far. not giong to say this is the case for all of them but on the plus side, there isn't much wiring in them to begin with. only issues so far was a leaking master cilinder and the mechanism of the drivers side window broke a bit so the window doesn't fully close unless you pull it up a bit by hand

You are aware fuel is really expensive here? The money you "save" on no road tax cancels out for the extra money you end up paying for fuel and repairs (because it's a 40 year old car).

Importing a DeVille from the States.

Diesel is like 1,20 a gallon. I can afford that.

I think you're all overestimating the trouble of owning an old merc. I bought one two years ago for the same reason as OP and it was and still is practically rust free.

Shitty thread, rule is there for a reason.
Its for classics and thus not worth to just buy an ancient car to save 300 euro max.
You could just as easily buy a commuter or an old BMW or Merc for under 5k

Lada/Fiat 124

I own a 1980, no major rust problems (there's a spot on the inside of the passenger door and a little hole in the spare wheel well), though I have a feeling mine was kept in a garage by its original owner for most of its life. The biodegradable wire harness is annoying but as you say, there really isn't that much wiring in the engine bay.

Can't go wrong with a decent condition 240 OP, if it's lasted the past 40 years, it'll probably last another 40 years with proper care. The redblock is indestructible. Spare parts are everywhere too, at least where I live (which isn't Netherlands to be fair).

>1,20 a gallon
>gallon
U fuckin wot m8? Are we still talking about the dutch caliphate? If so, try 1,20 per liter or 4,50ish per gallon

Old cars don't necessarily use that much fuel

Sorry, I fucked up and translated liter into gallon you're right.

GPL is even better if you're willing to make the conversion.

Also to OP's question peugeot 404/504/104/204/304, Renault 4/5/8/10/12/16, Saab 99 and Volvo amazon/140/160/240 etc.

If you don't want to spend much on fuel you could by an old Citroen 2CV. Old cars are usually not very safe for its passengers if you do get into an accident. I think it is better to use a more modern car for everyday driving.