Ausfags

Ausfags,
I'm seriously considering heading to an auction and buying an ex army land rover.

Basically I'm assuming it will be very reliable, and have only the basic necessities, meaning there will be less stuff to go wrong.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't? And how many problem-free kilometres can I realistically expect from the engine?

Thanks.

>kilometres
thats not how things work in the real world ausfreind

Well do army guys thrash the engines or not?

If I were you I'd look up the rego cost, it's probably real high.

of course they do, its not their car and when it fucks out it gets fixed for free.

How much would it cost to rebuild the engine, being a diesel?

>land rover
>assuming it will be very reliable

>And how many problem-free kilometres can I realistically expect from the engine?

If you are looking for a vehicle that you "don't have to work on" a land rover is not that vehicle.

Even the best of examples you are always having to fiddle with shit because if you don't you are going to have to tow it out of the river you were just crossing so you can fix it.

I am not sure about the defenders but the series were electrically simple enough that even though shit crapped out it was easy enough to find the fault location. If you have basic mechanical aptitude and average Google-fu you can maintain one pretty well as they have lots of online support. Though I doubt the Australian army is using any series Landrovers

The difference between military and civvie isn't that much because at least the boys in the forces are made to change the oil where as a farmer is not going to do that until the rod knock gets really loud or until after the first headgasket change.

Well given that you don't have any unnecessary electronics or (I'm assuming) polar bear saving engine cuckery, how bad can it be?

I just don't want to buy a modern car because they're all fucked.

>Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

I just dont get these kind of threads.
I think they are made on purpose to generate some traffic on the board. Never seen a thread like this and then a follow up thread with
>remember me from last thread, well i got my car, im in love/anger/etc...

Or are these just some form of trolling? But is it real trolling if you dont piss off people and get them to argue? Mostly these threads get ignored. And only the newfags keep posting in them.

If you were really into old landys, you would have done your research, and bought one. But nope, you just seemed to stumble upon some aussie craigslist ad and tought
>hey, yeah, lets burn money cluelessly, yolo

>And how many problem-free kilometres can I realistically expect from the engine?

Well, that depends on several factors, my fuel huffing, abbo friendo. Nobody who has even a slight clue about cars would ask such a dumb question.

I don't mind fixing a few simple things.

>And only the newfags keep posting in them.

Kek, newfag detected. Summer came early amirite?

Cool story bro.

Whoops, sorry i took a big fat shit on your dumb larp thread. I am a bad human, yes.
Show me that auction with a timestamp, and i will help.
Newfags dont sage larp threads :^)

Enjoy your new landy, and make sure to comeback to o and present it here.

Blowing larper soibois the fuck out, why is it always so easy?
I miss good trolling.

GG EZ

You can stop being a faggot any time now.

For everyone else, regarding:

The things that go wrong on land rovers, what are they? Would I have to carry a lot of parts with me when I go places?

They also have a super strict maintenance schedule compared to Joe on the road who only services his car when it makes a funny noise.
The engines are tough as shit, 4BD1 Isuzus which only came in the LR Country in civilian Land Rovers afaik.

ausfag land rovers have isuzu engines

And the 6 wheelers have the factory turbo'd variant which is really easy to modify for more.

this makes my penis become the big penis

about three fiddy

I always like the "hey here's a car just like my car but X is wrong with it but I don't have any pics of my actual car cause I'm at work and it's dark and my phone broke and all my pics are on the home computer "

>very reliable

Absolutely, i just start to ask for pics when in doubt, often no pics are provided and i start to shit up their posts.
Larpers waste everybodies time with dumb questions that google could have answered them.
Would it be a genuine OP, he would post follow up threads about the solved problem, to help others solve maybe similar problems.

What's even the point of larping a mechanical problem you tard?

>implying i took the bait

thank god for japan
otherwise us aussies would have to ride a bicycle everywhere

Some are genuine and really want to fix stuff.
But there are some that really ask stupid questions that google can easily answer.
It reaches levels of stupidity where you just know that this person has never been near cars his whole life.

Well, who knows, some turbo autism that thinks that he is trolling? or some third world shitters, hired to make threads, so we post more, solve captchas and generate money for Veeky Forums.
>inb4 tin foil hat
Read about how captchas are used to make money on the internet.

This 100%. They're a rare option in Civvy models, but worlds better than the TDi and TD5 models.
Basically they get absolutely ragged on, but such as the nature of an old mechanical direct injection diesel that's still running standard fuelling, you can't kill them. You can have them flat to the boards all day, and as long as you don't overheat it, it'll do that for the life of the vehicle. You gotta remember these are also designed to be stationary genset/pump motors that scream all day long.

Are there many minor problems that occur with those engines?

Not really. Just stick to regular oil changes and fuel filters (as with any older diesel), and keep the rest of it lubed and up to scratch. To make it a little more "bush proof" an extra pre fuel filter can help safegaurd against fuel contamination, but not really that detrimental to the older mechanical diesels.
Only thing I'd do is chuck a TD05 or CT26 turbo on (presuming it's atmo, which the 4x4 models are), and give it a little bit more fuel.

Keep in mind these vehicles have been jumped, thrashed, smashed and crashed by 18-28 year olds their entire life.

But they look pretty cool.

Was that the accident the young fella was killed in a couple years ago?

I can inspect them before I bid on them. Looks like I'll have to start saving my money. Should be the perfect vehicle to lean on after I get everything fixed. I guess I should expect the gearbox to be in bad shape as well, but I'd much rather blow all my money on one of these than a new car. Owning one vehicle that I never replace, and rarely breaks is much better.

Military Land rovers do get abused. However they are also very well maintained and any damaged parts will have been fixed or replaced by a competent person.

Australian military Landys have Isuzu engines. Good machines.

I have an ex-mod series 2a. Are you looking at a more modern defender or a series vehicle?

Yep, having been on the supply end for parts on the LRPV's the turnover time on parts is pretty fast, it's nothing like commercial fleet management.

I dunno, I've been looking at the perenties.

>Basically I'm assuming it will be very reliable, and have only the basic necessities, meaning there will be less stuff to go wrong.

KEK.

It's a shit vehicle and it's made doubly shit by being an army surplus. It's like buying a bicycle that has been put together from hundreds of scraps.

Also, why do faggots assume that army == reliability? Far from it. It's actually army == shit some manufacturer managed to sell them with a few bribes

>t. American

I’m sure they have their reason for selling, but from what I can gather the vehicle design is solid, and you can’t buy an equivalent civilian version.

You literally can't, they were built in Aus and they got sold because we bought G wagons.

Okay so the 110. The era after the series 3 and just before they were calling them defenders.

Friend of mine has a 90, same kind of age and she loves it. Good vehicle.

The thing you need to realise is that it won’t be as original, so I’m hoping you want it for fun/utility and don’t care about it in a collectors sense. Like Says, parts are swapped in and out like mad.

You’ll find that a solid vehicle, however if you go to view it, spend extra time looking at the bulkhead and chassis, as the only major steel parts on the vehicle they’re the parts prone to decay. The bulkhead especially, though I imagine that Aussie climate and military maintainence will mean little rust and any there was would have been well patched.

When it comes down to choosing one remember this.

Series 2a
>non synchro gear box
>most parts will have been updated and will cosmetically look like a 3
>most classic Land Rover and also considered the most hardy of them.
>can be cleaned inside and out with a bucket of water
>minimal electrics and very basic to repair

Series 3
>synchro gear box (huge plus over the 2a)
>more convenient dashboard layout (like a defender)
>generally same engine size as 2as
>rubber/plastic dashboard
>servo assisted breaks

90/110/Defender
>someone will try to steal it at some point
>actually has power steering.
>clutches aren’t as heavy
>probably least worn out.

Regardless which you get, parts are fucking everywhere.

Go to paddocks spares, john craddocks and landy zone websites for spares/parts/advice. If you’re serious about buying one then I’d advise asking this over at landyzone. Get some better information.

Thanks m8.

No prob. You’ll get much better info over at landyzone

>Larpers waste everybodies time

Your time is so important. I can tell, because posting on an ausfag land rover LARP image forum is serious business

>I'm assuming it will be very reliable,

110's are a piece of shit. They dont drive well, they're unco.fortable and you look like a faggot driving one.

>look like a faggot
You can always paint it black if your feelings are getting hurt.