Are CVTs the future?

Are CVTs the future?

If done right.

I think this is an example of a technology that makes sense ‘objectively’ - if all you are concerned with it economy - but has and will fail because consumers just hate it subjectively. When you step on the gas you want the engine to rev up, not the tranny to ‘shift’ while the engine keeps on droning at its ‘most effecient’ rpm.

CVT is a turbo with no boost, just lag

They will make an ideal companion to the electric motors, as you can keep them are the most efficient RPM/current range without the problems of less visceral feedback that people want from ICE because the electric motor lacks that in the first place.

>Are CVTs the future?
If only idealistic positive features are considered, then they are good. But as currently implemented, they are mostly a gimmick item used to improve mileage (MPG) in USA EPA and EU testing. Similar to the start/stop engine concept, the CVT generates improved MPG test results with the disadvantage of increasing long term maintenance costs of the vehicle.

When you take a closer look at the active part of the CVT where the magic occurs, it becomes a bit scary. All that horsepower is transmitted through the frictional belt linkage.

DCT gear boxes will eventually become so cheap that they're used in everything.
When you have a lightning fast transmission with 7 or more gears and smooth transitions then a CVT isn't really offering anything in practical terms.

Besides, I'd rather not have a belt that wears out and costs over a grand to replace.

CVTs are our future. And always will be.

End me

What's the most powerful car with a CVT that isn't known to blow the transmission?

>What's the most powerful car with a CVT that isn't known to blow the transmission?

Since CVT are going to be sized relative to the car they are installed in, more relevant is how the car will be used. Things that damage the CVT friction surfaces or the belt are accelerations, hooning, and pulling loads. And even without hooning, a car owner who has a heavy foot will cause more wear. That means the gear surfaces and the belt will need replacement sooner than usual.

God I fucking hope not

No. Electric is, like it or not.

Why don't they just make a cvt that gets the engine to peak HP as soon as you set off, and just fucking sit there until Vmax or Vmin?

This. You can also mimic the best of CVT and more with a hybrid setup.

Snowmobilers always carry a spare belt or two. Do you really want something that fragile in a 4000lb car? I know they're clearly different but still.

CVTs are used in some tank

Maxima

>the basketball enthusiast peoples' car
>those hoomans known to jew out on maintenance
Wew those used cvt maxima's will be a ticking time bomb

No, hydrogen is. ICE is here to stay. Obama and his cronies gouged hydrogen research funding, manufacturer incentives, and tax rebates in 09 in order to line their pockets with Tesla money.
But it's coming back strong now because intelligent companies like Toyota realize electric cars are a joke.

ICE is here to stay for the mean time in the future until H2(glorified EV) is ready and EV are ready then we will see a decline in the ICE for normies buying cars.

>CVTs are used in some tank
Tank maintenance is costly. Nobody in Veeky Forums legitimately wants their car to be similar to a tank's needs for frequent inspections and parts maintenance.

"I want my car tires to last as long as the rubber road tread inserts for tanks!" Yeah, no.

"I want my car engine to need inspections just as seldom as the engines in a tank!" Yeah, no.

"I want my car CVT to need maintenance as seldom as the CVT in a tank!" Yeah, no.

"I want my car's maintenance costs to be proportionally similar to a tank's maintenance costs!" Yeah, no. The labor costs for a tank includes dedicate personnel who have huge pension and medical costs and don't forget that the surviving spouse can inherit the pension which continues the payment costs.

You forget that they all lease their vehicles

You can't replace the bands. You have to buy a whole new transmission for 5K because reasons.

they're easily the best transmission for ICEs in every way already, they're just boring to drive

I fucking hope not...nothing but lagy useless fucking boat anchors...

i traded in my unreliable manual shitbox for a reliable cvt and want to kill myself i am retarded

LC 500h

Hey, you keep your shitty fucking CVT the fuck away from my boat.

They might be, but the future is not now. Only CVT I would feel safe buying is a Toyota. There are no CVTs I'd want to drive.

Hondas CVT is pretty good

How do the engines go just sitting at a constant rpm? Every petrol motor likes to have to an Italian tune up now and then.

Someones gotta own them at the end of the lease, just saying.

they don't sit at a constant RPM. the computer adjusts the RPM based on how much throttle you're giving it and the transmission acts accordingly.