/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Sexy Olds Edition

Previous thread: Generic copypasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something, to be classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Performance > Cosmetics

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>It's perfectly fine to use RTV. Ignore the haters.

>If you see rust there is probably more

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gbIAKfhrdV0
youtube.com/watch?v=gltyR1pX3M4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

in

Finally got the chance to take a good look at the underbody of the 69 impala i want to buy. Theres defiantly rust down there but none of it goes through. Trunk for left open for presumably several winters so theres nothing left for floor board in there though, but it seems pretty cheap and easy to replace that. Theres also a '71 Charger there that im interested in but its probably out of my price range and i know nothing about mopars. Engine in my 04 impala is dying so that needs to take priority for now.

Freeze my ass of mobile

>seems pretty cheap and easy to replace that
pans for all full size chevys are readily available but it's only cheap if you do it yourself. Cheap jobs are usually crap, they lay the floorpan down overlapping the cut just a bit, and weld it in place. Usually it traps moisture and rusts out again in a pretty short time. Not saying this to discourage you, just a heads up. All the full sizes are really stylish IMO

Anybody want to see the reason I shelled out $1k for that '02 Town Car?

Quality thread

inb4 ounce(s) of weed

tfw my heat didn't work all winter and it was probably just a blown fuse

Free Drugs™?

But seriously, why are you asking? Yes, we want to know. Why not just post.

Eh, fuckit, I'll hazard a guess. ~80,000 miles on the clock?

It's not drugs; though, just look at the interior:

Got the body lifted off the old jeep today, been wanting to do that for years. It doesn't look very good, but not as bad as it could be. There's some work cut out for me but it should be able to be accomplished, and I'm not looking for show quality.

Would you ever guess it has almost 200k on it?

damn, that's mint

Pristine, you could uber with that.

And an old jeep rear frame shot. None of its really eaten all the way through but the rust will have to be taken off the frame anyway. Going to repaint all this and coat the body underside and leave the old paint on the outside of the body. Note the rear coil helper spring kit, a required upgrade for carrying a big gun in the bed.

That's what I thought. When I saw the mileage, I couldn't believe it. Then I learned that all they used the car for was driving from Houston to Miami or El Paso to visit family. This thing is mint.

And a front frame and engine shot. Have an exhaust stud I need to drill out. Will start degreasing everything in the next few days.

Uber bans the entire Panther platform for being associated with taxis; regrettably.

christ

what kinda bullshit dis b?

fucking millennials

Lessons learned from my power steering system replacement
-The power steering lines go on the gearbox first and then onto the pump. I did it reverse order then they wouldn't go on and i had to start over
-Pitman arm nut is 1 5/16 or 34mm. Almost killed myself using an adjustable wrench and cranking with all my might, car almost came off the stands. Air gun all the way
-gonna re do the pump next week with this bracket instead. Current one doesn't hold tensions

what kind of advice could you give me to do it myself? Ive never done serious bodywork other than putting a fiberglass bodykit on a shitbox. Is it just "measure twice cut once" and all that shit

Hey, I got a friend with a 79 Camaro base with a 406 in it. In the spring we have to remove a broken rocker bolt, have you done anything similar? Also the fuel pump needs to be swapped out, what would you say would be a good aftermarket pump for an sbc?

Ugh. I think I finally fixed a power steering leak on my '79 Lincoln. The steering box on my Cadillac is still making noise after having the pump rebuilt, and there's a new pump on my Imperial. Fuck power steering.

Haven't done that yet man sorry, for aftermarket pump are you trying to go electric with a regulator and a gauge or a pushrod style, how much fuel pressure you need?

my buddy's got the specs, I'll have to ask him when I get the chance. He used to post occasionally a while ago, hopefully he's lurking and can tell you himself

She's in boys. Next step is wiring the MS3

Haven't done that yet man sorry, for aftermarket pump are you trying to go electric with a regulator and a gauge or a pushrod style, how much fuel pressure you need?

I’ve got to sort out a new battery, new water pump and fix the corrosion on the fuel tank.

The parts are dirt cheap for LRs which is a bonus.

I want to get a proper series 2a Maltese cross style grille as it would have had originally, instead of the series 3 replacement. The headlamp surrounds need to be painted too. Seems at some point someone tried to modernise it during the late 70s/early 80s.

Runs and drives beautifully.

Whoops phone posting sorry guys

Power steering is a fucking bitch my entire system was fucked every component. Including the brackets apparently. Replaced the entire thing. I've never had it before so I'm excited to see how it handles now. I can't wait to get the posi in

Inversely, one of the things I look forward to about my Packard is NO power steering.

When your manual rack is tight, manual steering is quite refreshing but fuck trying to turn a straight 8.

Agreed. I like the heavy steering of my Series 2a. Makes me feel that extra bit of excitement in driving.

It should be fine as long as I'm not parallel parking.

How much do those things weigh?

Not 100% sure. Depends on wheelbase length and roof option. Mine has a hard top on at the moment and is an 88 so around 3000lbs I think.

Regardless of weight, they don’t turn well, the turning circle is like that of a warship.

I'm intimately familiar with that.

It’s pretty comfy. I like big slow vehicles.

Is it true that the motor alone is around 900lbs?

My truck is somewhere between 3600-4000lbs, manual steering is fine on the road, but a bit of a pain at very low speeds.

>Is it true that the motor alone is around 900lbs?
more i've heard.

That's like Cummins turbadiesel territory.

I have a soft spot for old jeeps, my dad had a 47 (i think) willies and he swapped a 383 in it.

Just tell them it's a Continental, based on the D186 (loltaurus) platform :D

The:
6B Comeapart
Big-block Chevy
Small-block IHC
GMC V6

all weigh about 800-850. I think Ford's 385s are in the same area.
For some reason I doubt that Packard weighs over 600.

Once my Land Rover is ready, I’m going to use it to trailer my mums car to where I’m going to work on it for her.

So much shit to do. It’s been sitting a while, worked perfectly, then just didn’t. Haven’t had a look yet. Excited for summer though.

Gear bro, what in the fucking fuck is wrong my gears. Why are they barely even touching?

I have the pinion shimmed to a reasonable starting depth. Carrier has .057 shims on the left (in relation to the picture) and. 014 on the right. But that looks like so much god damn play that shims won't even fix it. It's like the ring needs a spacer or something. Please don't tell me I need a new carrier. I'm only going from 3.73 to 4.11. What the fuck.

Front axle, dana 44 high pinion, just for a reminder.

>6B Comeapart
How dare you insult the love of my life, Cummins.
altho the 6.7 is a pile.

>For some reason I doubt that Packard weighs over 600.
Well it's a thick ass iron block 8 cylinder.

Are you sure you have the correct pinion for the ring?

If it needs to be shimmed even more something's probably totally fucked.

Feck, nevermind. Just did research and found out I need a new carrier. Oh well. It's only $100 plus shipping. No big deal.

There's a break on dana 44 hp axles. 3.92 and up requires a new carrier.

It's just under 900 lbs; with the starter and other accessories in place, 925 or so.

fug

fug

Why does this picture look so damn comfy and proper. Saved.

Damn, I thought my LX sport vic was clean at 200k. I mean it is, but that thing is in impossibly mint condition. You should keep it man. If you ever need help with diagnosing issues, I'm here to help. I grew up learning on those as a teenager. I know all their quirks and issues. Also, you should look up the jmod for that 4r70w transmission: youtu.be/gbIAKfhrdV0

I've done it to both my lx sport (drifto for days with the 3.27 gears) and my dad's lx. It really livens up the response of the whole drivetrain. If you want to keep the cushy shift but just have a faster shift, you can drill out the valve body separator plate and leave the accumulator springs in.

Dear God in heaven.

Love me some LS action. What's it going in again?

Gorgeous

Fug is right. I'm actually a little miffed that east coast gear supply didn't inform me of that when I ordered my setup kit and I told them what I was doing. Oh well. They're only human.

>Fug is right. I'm actually a little miffed that east coast gear supply didn't inform me of that when I ordered my setup kit and I told them what I was doing. Oh well. They're only human.
That's one of those lore situations that everyone seems to know and assumes that you know so they never tell you.

For example, nobody tells you a Mopar engine sits 2 inches towards the passenger side of the car and then when people try to get them center they keep breaking u joints. Oh well, now you know.

Yeah. It's not really a big deal. I'm just glad I figured it out the problem because it was starting to drive me nuts.

For the first time, I'm actually working on a classic car for a customer at work. A 1993 Q45. A 78 year old woman owns it and it's falling the fuck apart. She approved 3 grand in safety item repairs and it still needs about another 6 grand worth of repairs after that. We advised her to just get a new car, but against our recommendation, she wants us to fix it. In spite of the fact that there is malfunction on the transmission communication line that we have no code information, wiring diagram, or diagnostic information for, and a result we can't really fix the issue. It's fucking ridiculous.

I probably will keep it. If nothing else, it's a great road trip car.

At present, the speedometer just stopped working, the ABS light and parking brake light came on, and the odometer went to ----- instead. I think that's the VSS, from what I can gather.

That could be an issue with the vss or possibly the cluster. There's an issue with my dad's car, every now and then the speedometer drops to zero. I swapped out the vss for a known good one we had and it's still doing it. I'm not sure if the vss goes through the pcm first before it goes to the cluster but it probably does, so it also might be a pcm issue.

Funny thing is, it wasn't doing that until I changed the transmission. I wonder if I created a harness issue when did the transmission.

Eh the 5.9 is decent enough. It just has enough of a 'bulletproof' reputation that owners neglect the shit out of them.
:(

Well, shit I was WRONG.

>Eh the 5.9 is decent enough. It just has enough of a 'bulletproof' reputation that owners neglect the shit out of them.
>:(
Yes, i always let it warm up like 10 minutes and idle it for like two after getting home to cool the turbo or something.
Legend has it that diesel turbos need less cooling then gas turbos because lower exhaust temperatures but the air for a diesel is under yuge compression so idk.

I don't know wtf happened to my dad's 2005 Ram 2500 with the last gen 5.9, but it's at 180K miles and it has so much blow by that it's puking out about 1-2 quarts of oil every 300 miles. He's rigged up a massive catch can and vent system and that's got it down to about half a quart every 300 miles but fuck, it's still outrageous. The entire undercarriage stem to stern is a slick oily mess. It's obviously piston ring blowby but I don't know why it's having issues so early.

Where's it coming from? Could be an oil seal in the turbo. Gl if it gets into the chambers, all i can say is carry some wood to block the intake.

It's blowing out of the crankcase vent. Just oil coming out with the excessive crank case pressure. Could it be something other than blow by.

Keep in mind these are called dirty diesels for a reason, i doubt there's a used Cummins anywhere that isn't covered in oil grime but, are there any mawds to the motor?

Well, I'll try the VSS first, as it's the easiest and cheapest. After that, I'll try the PCM if it doesn't fix it. I just don't want to have to replace the cluster.

Want a wiring diagram for it?

No MAWDS. All stock.

72 Chevelle. The LS was in last year, came out for gen 4 pistons and rods and a 4L80E

>No MAWDS. All stock.
All i can think of is a vacuum pump leak causing a bunch of air entering the crankcase and as those huge pistons come down it's pushing the oil up out of the breather. 5.9's don't have a PCV so this is oily mist will stick to any surface it can reach. This can also cause a leak.
If the exhaust isn't blue and smokey you're good. If it ever starts burning oil it can run away on you.

Are classic Euros welcome here?

That would be great. I have no idea what I'm doing with this techno-wizardry that's more advanced than the space shuttle.

shure

Sweet

Is this a joke I'm not getting?

Iront block, cathedral ports. That is an LM7 m80.

Yes.

Whats the 4l80e like

Fuck boys this new chrome PS system bracket and shit is gonna be so sexy. It's the last eyesore in my engine bay. Everything's gonna be nice shiny and new. Can't wait to see how the legendary Z28 is supposed to handle. In other news my wife's work (fuckhuge Chevy mega dealer) count hook me up with paint and body. Looks like it's Maaco time

Luxury Nippon bro your making me nervous. Your supposed to be Sempai and know everything about everything. If you can't re gear a rear end what possible hope is there for us mear mortal jarheads.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.
Post away, my dude.

Dirty and heavy. That's all I know so far.

yessir, 5.3

I need help guys.
I'm redoing just about everything in my Elco, and have hit a snag when it comes to the interior.
I want to change from the factory black to the factory blue interior, but I can't find a single supplier that has any of the parts in blue.
Does anyone know a source for these? or am I just going to have to deal with a black interior?

hello doods.

black goes with everything. blue will likely be more expensive to buy new panels, so hunt junkyards and craigslist. my old man found a guy who made a living parting out C4's and turd gens that he got all the interior panels from.

Your dad still letting you take shitty pics of his shit car?

>user why do you drive that old piece of junk?
>Wow that must burn alot of gas, isn't it bad for the environment?
>Isn't that car too big to drive in a city, how do you park it?

Why do millennials hate classics?

Try painting it yourself. It did a lot of taping, did some rattlecan primer with a light sand of 1k, and then just did 3 coats of the cheapest black automotive paint (70 a gallon). Only took me 5 hours of painting and half a gallon, + a coat of clear. The paint turned out great, and the whole thing cost me a about $250 (and that was with buying an $80 gun. I think it looks better than what maaco will do at 1/4 the cost.

Anybody ever put decals on their car before? How do you place large ones without fucking it up?
>looking at trans am user
I want to order the tail stripe and maybe something more for my dart. Also, im torn between red or white.

>why do you have interests
literal scum 2bh

Most people under 25 here are usually positive when they see a classic, although loud cars annoy most people.

I hate this so much. I've known girls who were addicted to gaming to the point they were unable to hold a job and it destroyed their lives; if it wasn't gaming with their online friends, talking about gaming, or plans to be a Twitch streamer, she didn't care about it. Other girls I know were obsessed with their Instagrams and Snapchats; if it wasn't worth posting there, it wasn't worth doing. She tried to use it to show that people thought my cars were junk; it backfired colossally with the DeLorean.

I also hate that stigma that old=unreliable. My old cars are exceedingly trustworthy and I've driven them several hundred miles and anticipate no issues.

I'll do you one better
>user why do you drive that old piece of junk?
>Wow that must burn alot of gas, isn't it bad for the environment?
>Isn't that car too big to drive in a city, how do you park it?
5 minutes later
>user can I drive your car? It looks so cool.

I had one chick who just loved my car and wanted a ride in it one day but I never did it because marriedfag

If I wanted to pick up ghetto black chicks, my Cadillac would be the greatest wingman imaginable.

Definitely, but why would you ever want to?

Oh, I don't. It just amazes me as it's literally the only car that's ever had women coming on to me.

>19 years old
>Every girl I've shown my 26 year old car to has reacted positively to it

His is the last gen 5.9 and doesn't have a vacuum pump. It uses some other weird voodoo that creates vacuum. It does smoke a little on start up, but we think that's injectors because it runs rough when smoking and then goes to normal after a minute. Any other ideas?

Love me some classic euros.

I looked quickly a few minutes ago and for some reason could not find anything on the vss. I look again later in the transmission section.

As a true nippon senpai, we do not do diff rebuilds at the dealer level, so this is my first one even though I am master certified. But fear not, I figured out my issues.

I trust my old cars more than new cars.

>26 year old car
Nigga there's a huge difference between a 93 accord or jetta and a huge American 60s barge

>old cars=unreliable

to prove that wrong, I will drive my Classic from BC to Boston to LA.

This.

Anything clean with rounded plastic headlight covers and soap bar styling is indistinguishable from most normies as being 5 or 20 years old. They'll only notice if it's clean.

That's why we're now in the era of tiny windows and angry wedges.

The snow, the shoddy camera and the diesel pump?

Probably snow...

youtube.com/watch?v=gltyR1pX3M4