Selfish cunts general

Why aren't Millennials buying classic cars?

Because they're expensive and out performed by more current, dog-shit slow throwaway commuter cars

not really

You can buy classic cars for cheap. Just not muscle cars.

a camry is loads faster than that shitbox gt500 in the op

>boomers
>I know what I got

no camry manufactured ever had more horsepower or torque than even that old gt500

>Millennial here with a classic car

Cant find any for under 15k here in NZ

>t. doesn't know what gross horsepower is
Horsepower ratings before around 71-73 are all complete bullshit.

hey it's me, your brother

note he didn't say horsepower or torque, he said faster. which he's probably right

oh and 1/2 of the us gets snow, so that fwd camry has a leg up on being able to be used for the whole year

oh and a lot of "classic" pre 90's cars are carburated, and all of the us isn't at sea level and warm.

theres something else, i just cant put my finger on

oh yeah gas costs 2.30-3 dollars per gallon and muh nostalgia cars getting 11 mpg because they make a lot of noise doesn't make a lot of sense

tl:dr better shit to do with our limited funds than buying impractical bullshit

-Cars are, on average, not a hobby/interest taken up by millennials. They're more interested in craft IPA's and mining cryptocurrency

-Classic car ownership usually requires at least a modest amount of mechanical skill to be tolerable, which again, is a skill set that most millennials don't have

-Millennials typical live in areas without a garage or place to store this sort of car

-Most millennials are broke, and financing a classic car is much, much harder than financing a basic modern econobox

>Cause most banks wont finance classic cars
>mpg
>a lack of interest as a whole
>boomers hoard them

Papa, tell me a story before our millennial kind ruined loves for autos

>millennial kind ruined loves for autos
That was the boomers creating the whole classic car barrett-jackson auction bullshit making everything cost way more than they're actually worth, so nobody can afford anymore, even rusted out shells of not even desirable versions of these piles of shit go for more than a decent example of a modern, faster car.

no one wants your boomer, cant turn heavy pos

Boomers are terrible, of this you have my complete support, but millennials are just as bad. I didn't really believe it until I went back into car sales and dealt with them

Now that I have to manage a workforce of about 100 of them in an IT setting, I'd almost rather deal with a boomer than one of them

Carbs are shit
Body rust is shittier
Handling sucks
Engines are underpowered and less reliable

>yeah but the engine bay has another cubic foot of space

I call the millennials Echo Boomers

My question to you OP is: Would you trust a millenial with a classic car? Would you trust him to take actual good care of the car without turning it into shit?

That's a great phrase, I might have to steal it

Im a lucky ass millennial. my dad bought this 1968 firebird as a non running shitbox for $600 back in 1986 and put 300 into an engine and drove it before leaving it at a friends house. Its now my project car and im excited to make it mine. No boomer can price this out of my possession

they are "classic" because boomers are willing to pay money for them. if boomer nostalgia wasn't a thing they'd be "outdated junk"

>gas costs 2.30-3 dollars per gallon
1)buy a classic car
2)modern ecoboost swap

Good point.

Because boomers are charging three or four times what we make in a year for a car that's so far gone it's basically a vaguely car shaped mound of red dust.

Eh, people pay for the experience/aesthetic of cars too. It's not just outright nostalgia. Muscle cars offer an experience that you can't really get anymore, and boomers are usually in a financial situation to be able to afford the experience they want.

It's why things like the Wrangler, FJ Cruiser, and 80/90's 4Runners maintain such healthy prices, even in shitty condition

Classics almost always weigh less than their modern counterparts. Swapping modern engines into old car is a no brainer.
>but the car isn't the same
It was improved so yes it isn't the same
>muh period correctness
boofuckedyhoo im not entering a boomer car show

>No texts.
>Calls only from 3:12PM - 6:10PM every third Thursday.
>No test drives.
>No records.
>It ran before it was put in storage.
>No low offers! I know what I got!

classic cars require money to maintain, millenials don't have money
it really isn't that complicated to understand

cute

I would if they were cheaper. Too bad Datsun 240s are over 20 thousand fucking pounds
>implying I want to own old shitty british roadsters
Any decent old Brit car is expensive as fuck

to add on to this, it's like asking why the silent generation fucking sucked at cooking it's because the economic realities of when they were growing up prevented them from exploring that possibility and so you have a generation of very frugal people with weird tastes
>tfw there are 240zs over here going for around 5 grand albeit with needing a little work
sorry m8

Thats actually a common name for them.

Millennials grew up in a mirror of the Boomers childhood.

Gen X got fucked over by young first time parent boomers not knowing shit about parenting, and having divorces.

Many Millennials were usually Boomers second or third children, usually on second marriages, and more towards their middle age when they'd stabilized.

Millennials grew up in the strong economy of the 80's and 90's, thanks in part to the tech boom that happened around the time, with parents who had stable jobs and were able to spoil them.

the 80's and the 90's in particular- saw a revival of many 50's trends, such as wholesome family sitcoms, greasers sort of came back as a meme, and the internet hadn't really taken hold yet so they still played outside, and contrasting to the "latchkey generation" Gen X, they got to actually go home after school to a stay at home mom.

There's also something to be said for the war on terror being analogous to what the cold war was in boomers daily lives, though 9/11 obviously makes it a really different matter altogether, and 9/11 is pretty much where the similarities with boomer upbringing end, though they pick back up again somewhere around the current decade, with SJW's really just being neo-hippies.

>it's like asking why the silent generation fucking sucked at cooking
I didnt know this was a thing.

makes sense though, silent was the depression generation right?

yeah, the depression along with the ww2 rationing pretty much killed a whole generation of cuisine here in america
don't look up 50s cooking you'll immediately understand why tv dinners were praised

I think aspics are pretty good.

The depression generation is humbly called the greatest generation

>SJW's really just being neo-hippies.
the question is, if we're going to make the parallel to the late 60s and the current era, does that mean that there are actually decent liberation movements that should be praised but will get shoved under the rug in exchange for wild applause for just give peace a chance mannn
because if so i wanna join up with whatever the modern version of the panthers is, fuck
>inb4 someone says new black panthers are the same shit

I got this for $1000. Goes forward, backwards, and even stops. Thanks boomers!

Yea...its no joke the only thing my grandma could make was candied yams

Because the boomers "Know what they got"

>whatever the modern version of the panthers is
the black lives matter movement is basically the analogue to the black panthers. Literally just a black supremacist movement, though minus the militant communism

> does that mean that there are actually decent liberation movements that should be praised but will get shoved under the rug

You could say that about literally ANY big hashtag phenomenon movement in the past few years. Usually a general idea that bears merit, but gets buried under hashtags, virtue signaling, and bad intentions

Black lives matter is founded entirely on lies, but at its core, theres nothing inherently wrong with some kind of movement from black communities in response to police shootings. But it goes the opposite way entirely and instead glorifies the victims as saints, vilifies the police, and becomes a "fuck whitey" black supremacy movement.

the "me too" campaign is a laudable (at its base) attempt to root out sexual corruption in hollywood and media in general, but instead it becomes a feelgood witchhunt, where if you so much as winked at an intern back in 1986 and asked for a date, you get the hashtag and lose your career for "inappropriate behavior"

Then there's this whole russiagate nonsense.
at it's core, sure, it should be worrisome if a foreign power tried to influence the election. But of course the problem with it is that at its core that was never the real intent of it, and it was from it's inception, a neo-McCarthyism and a punching bag excuse for why Hillary Clinton Lost the election despite the entire world being on her side, and all the polls (every single one) showing her winning, when in reality that was in part, the Bradley effect.

tl;dr theres laudable "ideas" behind many of them, but none of them are actually good movements. Look at Occupy wall st. In theory, good. Accountability for Wall St recklessness. in practice? A bunch of retards and actual communists shitting in a park.

>t.madman

to be fair, when you're incentivized to turn every aspect of your life and every form of enjoyment you have into a profitable venture you might end up being retarded like that too
especially if your retirement fund disappears in the blink of an eye and now your roadrunner is your retirement fund

>the black lives matter movement is basically the analogue to the black panthers
the panthers fucking fed kids, blm just hopes that putting some slight restrictions in place for police officers will suddenly change america and fix decades of complex economics and social alienation

In come's LPG to set the record straight.

That's a good name for them.

Yeah but these mother fuckers are out here trying to sell rusted out slant six Challengers for Several thousand dollars and shit. I can get some delusion but come on there has to be a limit.

like i said, it's definitely retarded but you can see where it comes from

>horsepower and torque are all that matter

La creatura everyone

Welcome back old friend

>muh carbs
>duh engines are bad
You dumb faggots act as if you've never wrenched before. You do know you can get an iron block LS out of ANY 2000's GM truck at a junkyard and put it in a classic for next to nothing right?

Cars aren't married to their engines permanently like you retards seem to believe

most of the people on Veeky Forums and in Veeky Forums in general are memeing and have no research let alone experience on the subject in question
just read every post with that in mind

You have millenials trying to sell rusted out, non-running Wranglers for several thousand dollars and shit.

Everyone and every group had delusions about certain things. But the reasons why millennials aren't getting into classic cars are basically the same reasons millennials aren't picking up cars of any sort as a hobby in general

>Veeky Forums: boomers are dumb for glorifying undesirable shitty cars
>also Veeky Forums: dude that S14 thooo!!!

>Everyone and every group had delusions about certain things.
Fair enough. But I was mostly speaking from my person viewpoint as to why I don't have a classic car not millennials as a whole.

but we are

hello, brethren.

hipsters drink cheap beer ironically or because they can afford and build choppers, cafe racers, and vans.

>financing
>mpg
why are you even here

>or because they can afford it. **

Which admittedly ties into your broke thing.

Cause boomers are selling rusted shells for 20 grand cause "I know what I got"

Those old cars made a lot of hp running on leaded fuel.

God this board is stupid beyond hope. Now I remember again why I stopped coming here.

no you faggot leaded fuel makes almost no difference compared to modern fuel, the reason they had such high horsepower ratings was because they did gross horsepower (ie testing horsepower from the crank with no alternator, water pump, anything that could possibly reduce the rating)

You'll be back once the rest of the internet begins to annoy you. Just like me. It's a never ending cycle.

Veeky Forums isn't any better than anywhere else, it's just easier to get the type of low-quality shitposting that satisfies your brain very slightly here

i'm 99% sure everyone here is a "millenial", including you.

And are you implying every car manufacturer is not still doing that?
because every single hp figure you ever see is crank horsepower unless it specifies bhp...

There poor as fuck

I'm buying my grandfather's 1991 Firebird soon as a weekend car and after that I want something from the '70s as a project car.

net horsepower is massively more accurate than gross, just look that shit up senpai

Leaded fuel was a higher octane and allowed for greater compression ratios compared to the unleaded version. The swap over was done at about the same time manufacturers swapped from gross to net so they hid the power loss behind this. It's also important to note that manufacturers have always bullshitted hard on HP figures and they're worth less than fuck all.

it made a difference at the time, but modern fuels are a-ok on that front

As long as your engine is built for high octane only (none are from the factory). They make more power now due to better technology.

>shit brakes
>shit suspension
>shit engines
>looks like shit
>drives like shit
>sounds like shit
>good luck with spare parts
>good luck trying to fix it if someone hits you
>costs inflated because of boomers or retards
uh yeah classic cars sound great

No average car, I mean

regardless, the original point the person was making was the meme of 'oh the 1960s had so much more power we're only just getting back to it' when no not really gross horsepower let people lie like fuck

Gross horsepower wasn't that much more than net. They had fuck all accessories to run back then. Like it or not, the old v8s put out solid power pre emissions and unleaded.

Remember back in the day with leaf springs and shocks filled with custard? Yeah man, those 1000 treadwear tires and 500hp lmao hella fast.

running with no headers, whatever timing you want for max power and at the best atmospheric conditions is bullshit and you know it

The losses aren't near as significant as the move to low compression and emissions shit. I'm sorry, m8 but a 70s v8 shitbox makes more ponies that you camry and is most likely in a lighter car.

Leaded fuel was also causing mass brain damage, meaning people forgot how to build good cars for several generations.

I'd also have to buy an engine hoist, and a truck to transport the fucking thing, and maybe a welder, an angle grinder, and a lathe.

No doubt, but there's no denying that it also allowed for higher compression ratios and more aggressive timing.
The absolute state of Veeky Forums
>>/g/

get your mind checked, i'm not joking

the early cats i'll give you killed power hard, but no, modern cars are making pretty consistently more power for the class of car they are in
i'm a classic car fag, i'm not someone who fellates modern automobiles but i hate this meme of the 60s being this secret powerhouse era of stock engines on base trims being consistently 250+ horsepower when they just fucking weren't

Yes, but I'm taking about the move to unleaded and emissions power losses being blamed on gross to net. There no denying that a modern ls3 shits on a 70s 350.

t. camry cuck

then we're fighting two completely different arguments, since i'm arguing against a post that likely wasn't you in the first point
the move to unleaded did a decent amount of damage, the restrictive cats hurt a lot, gross to net also hurt a lot (i would put the latter two in the same category with moving away from leaded fuels being down a bit on the scale of damage to rated power output)
the biggest harm came not in any of these, really, but in the change in design principles to try and appeal during the fuel crisis and during the spawn of the japanese cheap car
but all of this is not particularly relevant to the point that 60s cars weren't that powerful and people who keep memeing on and on about the insane engines of yesteryear get real fucking tiring, which you don't seem to be doing so bless you for that

get it checked

Why are so many millenials just vinyl wraping and changing wheels on new cars instead of building things.

probably lack of mechanical knowledge and the fear of higher insurance rates/getting in trouble with the police

The biggest reason people on Veeky Forums talk shit about classic cars is because they can't afford them.

Veeky Forums would praise a 1995 camry if that's all they could afford.

the reason Veeky Forums talks shit about every car is because it's full of 14 year olds who just like shitposting
i wish there was a less retarded imageboard, i really do

name one reason classic rust piles are better than a 96 camry
i'll wait

They aren't ugly depressing pieces of shit that make you lose a piece of your soul when you drive them.

The steering wheels aren't all sloppy and you actually get feedback through the steering wheel

so which one is the camry?

Millenials are just as bad in different ways. Even more entitled although via the Lens of ‘life’s a novel and I’m the star and everything is about me’ and even more degenerate.

The designs on some cars makes them classic imo. Wouldn’t ever buy one to drive. Most of them steer and handle like ass.