Cylinder displacement

What is the ideal displacement per cylinder? Also name an engine you think shows that your right.

>654cc x2

i really want a 2litre v8 to put in my adub.

6 liters plus pushrod V8s because I feel the engine is alive

>4 litre 4 cylinder
>ridiculous
>6 litre 6 cylinder
>still pretty stupid
>8 litre 8 cylinder
>PERFECT
americans are deadshit retarded

depends on what characteristics you want.

0.5L per cylinder
>2L I4
>3L I6
>4L V8
>6L V12

Theres actually an answer. But Veeky Forums wony like it.
Somewhere about 243cc.
Its the ideal because of the flame velocity, read it from some old tech literature a while ago.

(and if you hate it - tell me why F1 motors unregulated went for a lots of cylinders on a given engine displacement)

>litre
>lit re
>lit
>re
>lit tree
>americans are deadshit retarded

But the 360 only had 180cc per cylinder

What car comes with an 8L V8? All I can find is a medium duty truck engine from GM.

>Its the ideal because of the flame velocity

Flame front speed at the end of a power stroke is more greatly predicated on maximum spark advance and combustion chamber shape.

This. Beer can cylinders just werk.

Square 500cc

Do you pronounce apple app-lee?

3L per cylinder

not sure about this but wouldn't compression (and temperature at that compression) also play a huge factor in this? And off course how well the fuel is sprayed and solutes (is that a word?) with the air)

mind you that beer cans would only work in heavy duty-low power/high torque setups as the stroke is far larger than the diameter. similar stroke/diameter (squared engine) is applied in most modern engines.

F1 motors would work for less than a thousand km. (1 race).
So revving the hell out of them isn't a problem.
Any engine you'd use in a car has to have some durability. So that limits super high revs.
On the other hand:
slower revs is also not god. like the engine posts. fuel consumption (per kw poweroutput) is important, as well as responsiveness of the engine and weight of it all.
What OP is asking, 'what is perfect cylinder size' depends on what you want from the engine. purely power? off course bigger is better.
specific power? i'd think around 0.5 L. Low weight of the engine? smaller off course. Low weight and high hp? relatively small. durability; large cylinders. it all works together.

Detonation is detonation, flame front speed is no longer the concern at that point. Fuel stratification is basically a non-issue with modern engines.

A burning fuel air charge gathers most of its speed in around the last 30 percent of the distance covered, the physical path it's navigating (combustion chamber shape) and when it's started (maximum spark advance) override basically all other factors.

/thread
the question was dumb as fuck to begin with

>Flour = flower
>Colour - collauer
>Color - cuhller

thanks! makes sense what you're saying.

Turbo 4.0L I4 would be pretty fucking cool, my dude.

It wouldn't be able to rev for shit without either shaking itself to bits or needing massive balance shafts that suck power.

Its called having character

This

daily reminder that 4 cylinder engines are essentially limited to 2.5L displacement

>things not defined by logic

People love all kinds of things that are objectively inferior to the competition.
Certain engines are always loved for their quirks and charm rather than their specs on paper.

Emotion matters.

Cadillac 500 cubic inch

>quirks and charm
>more things not defined by logic

Emotion matters when it comes to engines- If you're stupid.

People like the Porsche flat 6 because of how it sounds, not because its the best engine ever designed.
Don't be such an autist.

Porsche's 3.0l from the end of the 944 era is a great engine with a lot of charcter.

0.625 L/cyl is best ratio
>2.5 I4
>3.8 V6
>5.8 V8

>Semi
>Liter
Why is one I and the other e?
you should pronounce it lighter.

Those people have absolute shit taste, because those plane engines sound fucking terrible

Oh don't get me wrong, that's fine and they get to do that- They're just stupid, like you and the rest of the Jalopnik readership.

Plenty of 4l 4cyls available

Here we can see the retarded American absolutely bamboozled by correct spelling

thinking more like that 7.4 one of them has

1.5 liters.

The 500ci caddy was the biggest stock engine however people have been swapping in big blocks like 572's (9.3l) forever.

Uhh nope, most people agree porsches sound like shit despite being great cars. The only reason they use the flat 6 is for the lower center of gravity - a logical choice. Nice argument friendo.

You can cut the exhaust off of any minivan and it will blow the fuck out of Porsche's horrific engine note. Blind test the two and most people will pick the minivan.

Why haven’t you brought up rotary?
>continually outperformed by everything
>still rated as one of the greatest drivers’ cars ever
Fun isn’t objective nor is it defined by logic. The idea of fun itself seems pretty irrational, don’t you think? If we defined everything by logic, the Prius would probably be the greatest car in the world because it’s practical and reliable.

Weineck Cobra

Who said anything about fun you buzzword loving turbosperg? The original impasse was somebody using bullshit meaningless nonwords like "character" to excuse poor engineering- Then again you seem to be digging on rotaries so I guess I should expect you to deny reality in defense of shitty engineering.

So essentially

>4BT
>6BT
>Chevy 496

878.75CC/Cylinder. In a V8 that makes 7.03L or the magical 472 Cadillac OHV V8.

The most recent was the Chevy vortec 8100

Friendly reminder that CVT is the best transmission for performance despite lacking any character

This is truth, but mostly in regards to road cars. BMW and Mercedes have put a ton of money into finding that number

F1 goes with small cylinder sizes because of revs, the magic number for which is around 18000. Past that the friction over comes any power gains. F1 also uses cylinders that are massive in bore and tiny in stroke. Not much relevance to road cars.

It all comes down to the intended purpose. A half litre cylinder with a huge stroke may not not work as well as a square engine and one with huge over square at the same size won't work all that well either. Turbos add another factor as do that valves, valve angle, exhaust efficiency, etc

7 liters is a 427.

I'm retarded.

>The only reason they use the flat 6 is for the lower center of gravity
And near-perfect internal balance.