/ORG/: five alive: winter edition

Offroad and Overland General
Snow and winter's last breath edition. Post anything offroad related or overland related. Or if you're stuck in a snow bank and need help getting out.

>Offroad discord / autism containment
discord.gg/pwYT4TW
>General Veeky Forums discord
discord.gg/JtHpWYb
>Place self on map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619
>Stickie purchase
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general

Old thread:
None because you idiots can't keep a general going even by C&Ping something so people new to offroading can actually know what the thread is about and to not start "what is cheepest off road vehicle for $6k when I'm in college" threads and post them here instead.

ITT:
>learn2chinesebasketweave
>complain that generals keep dying but people not making good enough generals yourself
>being cold
>hitting snowbanks with your front bumpers and not giving a shit
>pray for more cold
>$6k schoolmobile shitboxes
>bad gas mileage
>Youtube videos of 4x4s we don't own
>overlanding general
>suburban general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s5WAPyp_oT8
youtube.com/watch?v=mMpcMK0AyBc
youtube.com/watch?v=c8hVDKELhQY
youtube.com/watch?v=Z3nYyJPCoRg
youtube.com/watch?v=WnnSBSNVV6E
youtube.com/watch?v=RV_oPhiLM_k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This was in my suggested videos.

What did YouTube mean by this?

>spelling 2WD as "TWD"

this upsets me

stock fzj80 for sale near me with lockers, 175k on the clock, looks clean from pics. is it worth ~7.5k?

Thoughts on spartan lockers? Im regearing my front dana 44 high pinion. I need a new carrier and spider gears as well which is going to run me $200. East Coast Gear Supply has a spartan locker and carrier for $367, which is as expensive as I'm willing to go. I'm going to do some mid grade offroading, nothing to crazy. My rear 9" has a locker already. And I have manual locking front hubs so the spartan locker won't affect my on road steering unless im in snow (but Texas).

What are your thoughts org?

Yes. It will only go up in value from here on out.

Even FJs are appreciating in value, older Toyotas are getting ever more R A R E with each passing year.

Get it bro. GET IT.

u should trade it in an get a wrangler bro they are trail rated

Where's "near me"

Front or rear lockers?

How much rust?

>Famous canadian weather
>Last week was -14c, today its 16c >Figure its a good time to do an oil change and flush out the diffs while Im at it since its so warm out
>Pissing rain since yesterday afternoon legit over 1.5" of rain so far
>This is how we do

I gotta get that junker jetta the fuck out of my driveway so I can do work in the garage.

I feel this. Had to drive into downtown Toronto today in this shit weather, goddamn fog the entire time. Combined with the average Ching Chong's eyesight, I'm surprised I made it in and out of there without a scratch.

Values seem to still be dropping on ih8mud. A lot of people are moving on to 100 series.

In my city. Front and rear factory lockers. Desert truck so rust shouldn't be much of an issue but there's no pics of the undercarriage

Im just sick of this fucking shit weather. Last week we went snow wheeling, this week we can go mudding/trailing. I am curious how this unmaintained road looks now though. There was 4 feet of snow in some spots and I was having a hard time breaking the trail. Made it half way down before we called it quits. Even a JKUR didn't fare much better then me when we traded places.

>A
>HECKING
>JETTA
my nibba. I got four of those. Three of those are in the junkyard up in Orangeville and my only driveable one (2005) is used for work driving around Toronto.

Got one that same colour I thrashed, too.

>moving onto the 100 series
>for offroading
Maybe for softroading and campsite overlanding. But no one who will seriously consider offroad capability will move to the pigfat 100 series or LX470.
Especially with Suburbans being as low end pricing as they are and Expeditions falling soon.

Took the Ranger on ice the other day since the auger finally put it at 25cm throughout the lake. Now we get this stupid 7 degree weather and I just want to kill myself. I went ice fishing 0 times and took the stupid thing snowrolling like 5 times...

Here's another retarded Jetta picture.

Nice Bronc. I got a 78 im working on.

Fuck, you're brave for going that deep

I tried but don't have a winch or support vehicle so have not been going offroad in pure snowed in areas. Just not willing to do it man

Why are XJs not as common as they were a couple years ago? I'm trying to find a new offroad project but all I'm finding are the 2WD varients of all gens.

Any substitutions for a cheap reliable offroad platform? I'm on the lookout for a bronco or cherokee at the moment at a 3k budget since I still need to pickup tires and the like.

fuck a locker weld that bitch and call it a day

Isuzu Rodeo, or Amigo if you can find one.

Why shouldn't I buy this right now?

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

Thanks man. This one's a 78 too. Pics? I've slowly been restoring/building this one over the past 2 years.

Top kek

I've been spending the past 2 years undoing 40 years worth of hack job repairs, so I'm trying to avoid stuff like welding the diff. I know it's the front and I have manual locking hubs so it would be nbd, but I just can't bring myself to do that.

>but I just can't bring myself to do that
You'd be right not to. A fully locked front differential that can't be unlocked is a prick offroad, and harder on the front drive components than it needs to be.
Gen 2.5 Montero
Isuzu Trooper/Rodeo
R50 Pathfinder

YOU AINT NOTHING BUT A HOUND DOG

YOU AINT NEVER CAUGHT A RABBIT AND YOU AINT NO FRIEND OF MINE

Not everyone has to deal with so and mud!

>RIP you glorious piece of shit
Yeah its been a pretty wack winter. Couple buddies are PISSED since they bought snowmobile trail passes and every other time they want to go out its been right fucked.

There was six of us in total, three JKUR. One was the same size as mine in terms of lift and tires, one was brand new stock and the other had 33s. Two other four door Sahara JKU and then there's my little 2 door sport thrown up front trail blazing
>kek
Its easier to pull the little guy out
I wasn't too worried, plus I have a good size kit, winch and Hilift to get me out of any troubles. Ended up winching one of the rubis out of a ditch that day too.

We did break one of my 2" 20' recovery straps that I've had for years. Pulling rigs out of the snow is hard on the vehicles, got me looking at bubba ropes right now. They're a bit pricey but they work amazing in all the videos I've seen.

Fair enough

What if you could get it with a 7 year unlimited mile warranty?

7 year unlimited powertrain warranty would be pretty dope. Had the rear main seal replaced 3 times in the first 2 years of owning my 2014 JK under the powertrain warranty. Now I don't take it through mud anymore.

8k is pretty good, honestly. They're getting up there compared to the $4k options I've seen before. Got min for $6k canadian and needed to replace the gas tank. All in, paid like $8k Canadian to driveable and safety'd with transfer tax and all.

I bought this new heap of a Land Cruiser with parts and a rear bumper for $2200. Came with 1.5 inch spacers and a whole box set of random junk.

How does peeJ expect to make this money back? Does powertrain also cover offroad use?

Saw a result of all the rain runoff and melting snow. This is about 2.5 hours from where I am in brantford. Thank fuck my area isn't in a flood basin. I guess a couple people on local 4x4 groups are staging convoys to go into flooded areas and help anyone whos stranded.

i'd do it in spring when the land cruiser is ready

are you doing the OF4WD run?

Unlikely. I went on the newbie run back in june of 2014 right after I got my jeep. I mostly just hook up with a couple people on one of the offroad groups Im on. We did a camp trip at Southwind back in august. This summer me and a buddy are looking to do a few days at Ardbeg.

sup guys

Privyet

I love Nivas

I need new tires for my truck this spring and its a split between the same brand of tire i have, Goodyear Wrangler Duratracts or General Grabber X3's, they will be in a 285/75/16 size and I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with General Grabber's in the past and whether it was good or bad.

What's the consensus on 2wd cherokees? It's literally all I could find and I'm so desperate for pretending to be a rally driver again I might pull the trigger on a clean XJ

they're p great, but only viable in Russia and countries like Ukraine, Belarus and stuff, since one of the main advantages is very wide availability of the parts

Not trolling, legit curious

>never been more off road than rallycross
>don't want piss poor gas mileage
>really only interested in soft-roading and being able to go through deep snow since I work EMS

What are good options besides a modded subie? I feel like that market regarding new cars is limited to them or low tier Jeep CUV

So let me get this straight, you just want a trail car? The outback is the mainstay of saltbelt states for a reason. Jeeps and Subies are the most popular from what I've seen. What's your budget fagboi

I have General Grabber AT2s on my jeep, theyve been a pretty awesome tire. Good tread wear, good all round tire. I'm going to be going to a set of the GG X3s this spring, heard a lot of good reviews about them.

A lot of the offroad guys Ive talked to that have/had duratracs didn't like them so well when it came to playing on rocks. Some even had sidewall damage from being aired down. Its a good snow tire, okay for trail riding and a bit of mud but terrible on rocks.

P much. Those are the two I see besides actual off-roaders. Sub 35k. Outback vs forester?

we have shitloads of them in the balkans as well

from what I understand the GG X3's are a 10ply tire, and yeah, the duratracs for me have been pretty good with the light trail riding I do, but they have a weak side wall so I dont air them down, I dont do much rock bashing though, just a lot of back road driving and trail riding to get into camping spots, some of the areas have been pretty greasy. I know a few people that stick with the general grabber line of tires and have for quite a long time so I wanted to give them a shot.

Pic related: the truck they will be going onto

Outbacks have way more aftermarket and more easier to work imo after working on a few. You can find them for pretty cheap, just avoid certain engines likethe 2.5 I believe since they were prone to the headgasket issues.

Not exactly important, but how do you feel about the approach/departure/break over angles being worse compared to it's alternatives? You ever see any real world effect from that?

>winter edition
ITS FUCKING 80 DEGREES OUT YOU FUCKING FAGGOT
ITS FUCKING OVER
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You could always look for a 4wd zj or wj if you want a cheap jeep

The outback is a great overlanding/SOFTroading car. Approach and departure angles don't really count for anything if you're driving an outback with a lift.

>lifting an outback
have fun changing steering components, bushings, bearings, and a bunch of other shit on your vehicle

This gif brings me pleasure

At least he'll be able to see the oil leaks easier

And do underbody work easier. I had an outback before I got the jeep. Fun car to hoon dirt/gravel roads in but it wasn't very sturdy for anything more then that.

Mighty quiet these days

post your nig

what's a good smol offroader that can be had for cheap in New England and is easy to wrench on?

Okay. Its the tan two door pulling out the ditched rubi.

>bronco

I see you're a man of culture as well

You'd love my '86 then

>Steer horns
Classy af hoss

That's a good looking Bronco m80.

>Guis staph

I almost bought a bronco before I bought my Jeep. It was a near mint '88 Eddie Bauer edition too with like 50k km on the clock. A small part of me regrets not scooping it up when I could.

Tomorrow I was planning on replacing my driveshaft U-Joints. Can I drop the driveshaft with my truck on the ground? Would I be fine as long as I did it on level ground and chocked the tires?

Absolutely. If you can fit underneath it while its on the ground you can do it. Just make sure you chock the tires as ya said.

It's a very fine line to walk, knowing which one to get. I'm about 10 grand into this thing now, and getting close to being finished. I've had two wranglers. They were fun, but they drove like fucked up clown skateboards and I couldn't really use them for practical purposes. This Bronco drives solid and I actually used it to move. But I'm having to restore it. It's a bit of a trade off, but in the end I'm much happier with my Bronco and this one is a keeper at this point. I think it will be better offroad too.

>they drove like fucked up clown skateboards
No argument there man. My 2014 rides nice, but god help you if its a windy day or theres noticeable ruts on the highway. It's tiring driving that thing down the highway for extended periods of time.
>Buttpuckermoments

Going to be driving this turd down from BC Canada along Highway 101 down to Cali, and eventually ending up at the Rubicon trail and Death Valley area.

Anything I must know about travelling and camping in the US that may differ from Canada? Do I need camping passes or any of that shit? Up here you can basically set up camp anywhere you want in the woods assuming it isn't a provincial campsite

Camp on BLM land, get a fire permit though regardless from any ranger station. If by happenstance they catch without a fire permit (rarely since no one patrols out on BLM unless you're near campsites) you'll get slapped with a serious fine. Don't start a fire.

fuck your gf is qt

can i fuck her while you watch?

You can crash out at truck stops for a few hours if need be. Plenty of parks have campgrounds, but they do charge. Hollister and Pismo are along the way, def worth a check-in.

Preliminary destination list

Mt Ranier
Mt St Helens
Tillamook forest
Dunes city and or a permissible area
Crater lake
Shasta forest
Lake Tahoe/Rubicon Springs
Big Sur
Big Bear
Anza-Borrego state park
Joshua Tree
Mojave
Death valley
Black rock canyon
Umpqua Forest

Those appear to be the main attractions we are hitting up. I don't intend on staying at any truck stops
What's BLM? Also how much are camp sites and fire permirs typically?

BLM is bureau of land management. Basically it's just federal land where you can camp, shoot, and - if you have a permit - make a small campfire.

Also that's a pretty solid list for Southern California. Anza-Borrego and Joshua Tree are some personal favorites

The JK wranglers actually ride pretty decently compared to the TJs that I had. I could have just bought a Jeep and been done with it. Like I said, trade off. I'll be in this damn truck for 20 grand when it's all over but everything will be replaced. I could have just bought something built but it wouldn't have been what I want.

Jesus dude, that's going to be one exhausting trip with those huge ass tires and lift.

I don't share and I'm not into cuckolding. But...thanks?...I guess.

Fucking wet, cunts.

What do you actually use that thing for?

wheeling

How did you come to acquire it, and why is it so beat to shit? Was it in a fire?

Hollister has tons of offroading trails, mostly dirt/mountain. Pismo is a beach you can camp on and drive the dunes and rent dirtbikes/ATVs. Seriously worth a check-in. I've lived near Big Sur and Joshua Tree, and both are pretty cool in their own way.

it was junked in one of my friends grandparents backyard and they told me I could have it for free

motor was seized
transmission pump was notched up bad
radiator leaked so badly it was as usefull as a collender
>vaccum lines, how do they work.mp4

there were so many problems with this car that I basically had to fight it back together but the cunt runs like a tractor now.

How much did it cost to get it running?

pic is of the first time it moved on it's own power
>deisel stain on the ground

is diesel swap?

it costed me virtually nothing to make it run.
no i got a jug of deisel and poured it into the motor to unseize it
it had to sit in for like 4 or 5 days before we tried to break it loose with a breaker bar

basically once the motor was unfrozen we started driving it
despite the transmission slipping whenever it'd take off

the first time it truly drove it was done bypassing the frozen fuel pump and sticky carberator by cording an oil bottle full of gasoline to the hood latch with a line off the bottle running straight to it's throat

youtube.com/watch?v=s5WAPyp_oT8
youtube.com/watch?v=mMpcMK0AyBc
expenses thus far
>60 on tires
>re-key it when my smartass dad thought it'd be a great idea to wd40 the keyswitch and caused the tumblers to unseize (I had been turning it with my house keys and it worked untill then) 30 bucks
>fuel pump 30 bucks
fuck I hate I can't remember all of this shit

youtube.com/watch?v=c8hVDKELhQY
in hindsight I really should have doccumented this shitshow better than I did

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3nYyJPCoRg
youtube.com/watch?v=WnnSBSNVV6E
youtube.com/watch?v=RV_oPhiLM_k

Cool story bro. Sounds like you had fun with it. I wish I had a junk beater that I got for free. Any long term plans for it?

Get real...get off-road

just throwing some money at it every once in a while to keep it interesting

Right on. Do you bother tarping it, or do you just let it get rained in?

I have a car port I keep it under but I also put a tarp on it

Ever been pulled over? Because I don't care what state or province you're in, there is no fucking way that thing is road legal.

Do you see it on the road you stupid fucking retard?

We mall crawlin now bois