How much money do I need to make cars a hobby?

how much money do I need to make cars a hobby?

$1M

Fun cars usually cost two of three hundred more a month to own than the average basic shitbox. Whether its insurance, gas, cost to buy, or cost to own or some combination.

more than you can afford pal

hahahaaahahhahaha

I have a "normal" car and I have a lot of fun with it.
A lightweight car, with like 450 lbs, with a manual transmission, small engine with high torque at low rpm is pretty cheap and fun to drive.
You won't impress your buddies with it if that's what you want though.

honestly? I'd say about 10 grand. Get a nice, cheap sporty car off craigslist from a guy who has all his maintenance records: Miata, prelude, teggy, 240sx, 300zx, etc, keep it under 6 grand. Bank 2k for repairs, tires and any misc parts you might need and use the last 2 for insurance and extra gas money.

You should kill yourself for reminding us that that peice of shit exists

Can you stop saying your faggot vw up gti weighs 450lbs in every thread

Leave and never return.

if you want to afford a cool car, on top of all your living expenses then probably at least $90k a year

if you think shitboxes are the coolest things ever and you're willing to make sacrifices then probably no more than $40k a year

If you loved your car you wouldn't shut up about it either, faggot

If you loved your car you'd know it doesn't weigh as little as a motorcycle

$3k and maybe a couple grand over the next year for simple mods.

Make a minimum of 40k USD a year to support life + hobby

>get into school again
>take out max student loans
>take minimum number of classes in some bullshit, braindead field like biology
>use the rest on a 90s hoonmachine
>become racecar driver once people recognize your skills
>pay off student loans and toss degree in the trash

Tbh though there are some cool cheap cars but they won't be fast without mods which mean money

None.

4AGE corollas, eg civics etc can cost fuck all.

None, there are tons of broke faggots without cars on Veeky Forums, and cars are still their hobby (somehow).

you could do it for almost nothing if your thrifty enough, you dont need a built 200sx to make cars a hobby, you could do it with the cheapest shitbox with the cheapest home grown mods and a backroad to race friends on if you wanted, desu doing this and genuinely enjoying it would make you more of an enthusiast than most self proclaimed enthusiasts

>he cheapest home grown mods

Don't do this.

you will never earn enough - when you get into cars you will simply get deeper and deeper and deeper and this will gradually increase your need for more money up to the point you will work so much you won't have time to spend it on cars

The realest car guys I know live with roomates in a house and works on cars in the garage. They usually own something like an Integra or similar tuner old car and daily it. They usually make like 35k annual if that in TX. It is a lifestyle to them and these guys drive some fast fucking cars with 300hp on the low side. Every rich person I know who likes cars race something usually German or Subaru on a track and cannot wrench much.

>fast fucking cars
>300hp on the low side

That's cute.

I have two cars, a 94 240sx and a 99 Q45, I live at home, go to college, and still have money left over to waste on coilovers and other shit

lol forgot to say that I only brought home $14000 last year before taxes

Fast may be fun, but fun doesn't always have to mean fast. Good handling can be just as fun.

i dont know where you live but 4AGE corollas in the United States are expensive for what they are but its understandable because they are hard to come by.

How much would I be looking to spend on an MR2 mk1 yearly if I were keeping it stock? How much for a Miata?

i've been gathering parts for my build for a year, and it's not even that crazy a build. i don't know how some people do it, i make pretty good money.

3k for a miata insurance and some gas

If you gotta ask, you probably cannot afford it

Decent job and no kids

they are like 1k in australia

>miata
Literally fucking nothing.

The MR2 will cost a little more than the Miata, purely because it's older. Both with be in the same ballpark.
It always depends on what condition you buy yours in and what work you do yourself.
I have an AW11 and in the past year I've replaced brake rotors and pads, rear struts, an alternator, and a battery (which the bad alternator killed). That's all stuff that's really just regular maintenance for a car. Nothing has gone catastrophically wrong. I also owned a Miata for a short amount of time.
Things to consider:
Miata will be easier to work on
Miata needs a hard top if you're highway commuting
MR2 has more interior space
MR2 has substantially more luggage space
MR2 will be a little harder to work on, being mid-engine
MR2 looks less gay, if you really care
MR2 handles slightly better when driving it properly at the limit
Miata is easier to drive at the limit
Miata has a better aftermarket, MR2s is still decent though

Speed/power is as follows:
Supercharged AW11 > 1.8l Miata > NA AW11 > 1.6l Miata

they are $5k-$8k USD in the USA. and if its JDM they go for a lil more.

like actual AE86 GT-S' not SR-5's as SR-5's are shit.

>says truth
>hurr durr dun do dat
this fucking board i swear.

but this is completely true the more skill you have the less $ youre gonna need. but youre still gonna need something

As someone who's only driven cvt cars and only done basic car maintenance (ie: rotating tires/changing oil). Would I be better off grabbing the Miata or to MR2?

Also how's the highway noise in the MR2 vs soft top Miata? Can I listen to music without too much highway noise?

I mean, you can try. The MR2 will be slightly quieter than a Miata with a hard top. A Miata with a soft top is LOUD above 60mph.

You're best bet is probably a Miata with a hardtop if you aren't going to be doing anything yourself. Hardtops are expensive but they hold their value incredibly well.

The MR2 is undoubtly going to need stuff done unless you're buying an incredibly well kept version, just because of it's age. If you're willing to learn, then get the MR2 because it's a simple engine that's very reliable in the areas that matter and all you need is a ratchet/wrench set, and some jack stands.

I bought a $500 AW11 that was rusty with no exhaust and a failing alternator over 3 years ago. I've fixed it up and learned on it over time. She runs really well now but there's always little things to do. I'm planning to do an EGR delete soon and cleaning up all the vacuum lines. It'll make the engine bay much cleaner and considering the cars age, the EGR is probably clogged so I'll most likely see an increase in MPGs.

About $3.50.

>why wasn't this the first post?

I smell *sniffs* a shit post

If you're actually talented you can do a lot without a lot of money.