Navigation thread

Shilled out €199 for a TomTom VIA 53 today. Magnificent little device but you pay for the brand as well.

Any cheap alternatives with voice activation etc as well out there? And a quick menu, this one's as fast as my phone.
What are you using?

>That brick of hasjies
Gj Dutchfag. Also, my car has some proprietary built in shit so don't need

Pussy

>dubdubs
I stand corrected

Just fucking use Waze already grandpa

>Developed by: Google

Into the trash it goes.

Waze via Android Auto, which I dont have to pay BMW $200 a year just to let me use.

It works good, who cares if Google made it?

It works well, actually.

I know that people are indoctrinated into "shaming" everyone that cares about their privacy but I don't like the way Google stores EVERYTHING about you.

Honest question: Why would you ever get one of these when you have a cell phone and Google maps?

Use osm then if you're going to be autistic

But it's okay if TomTom does it?

It only STORES what you give it, and even then it only USES what it has STORED to get you to try to click on ads for dragon dildos and cheese pizzas and whatever else you've shown an interest in.

>Google
This is an acceptable alternative but I don't like using my phone. I use a custom ROM heavily modified for privacy. Location does not work
They have no idea who I am. Google does.
Don't believe this. google is fucking dirty

>They have no idea who I am. Google does.
What difference does it make? I thought you didn't like Google out of principle, but it looks like you are actually concerned about your well-being (???), which is fucking retarded. What is google going to do to you?

I've got an old tomtom. Slow af menu but works

It makes all the difference. Google is building a profile around you for selling to anyone waving a wad of money. Personal data and other shit acquired illegally. They merge and connect EVERYTHING to turn you into a product. A "thing" to squeeze money out of.
Where you go with Waze gets stored with your browsing history and everything fucking else they know about you. No they're not going to hurt me or w/e. I just don't like that. and I'm holding back here. you're a fucking idiot if you let a machine like that turn you into a money cow stripped from your rights as a human being.

I just use my phone, I don't need a mount because the passenger seat is always free.

What rights? Data acquired illegally?
Don't know what you're on about mate, might want to visit a psychiatrist.
I now understand why you don't want to Waze though. You just don't want Google to make money for some reason. That's okay.

>personal data acquired illegally
FALSE.

And it is not their fault that they flat out tell people what they collect and why yet people continue to use it and bitch.

You're judging without knowledge on the subject. Not going to argue any further, just know that Google knows more about you than you know. And I don't like that. And it's my God damned right not to.

Ignorance is bliss, really.

And this is just what Google returns, and they've been known to forge data results a LOT.

but I'm done arguing this. Keep doing what FaceBook told you. Good goys.

I mean, that's cute that you hate Google yet are using their algorithm to attempt to justify your misguided tinfoil, but that hypocrisy is rampant among you and your kind, and underlines my point earlier Nothing is free, everything costs something, and when it comes to Google, your browser history and location history are easy trade-offs, until other giant corporations such as Apple tell you it's not.

I pity you. This incoherent rambling of cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias shows how deep your puppet masters' hand is up your ass. I really do hope you break free some day mate. You come across as a strong and clever person. Please do some research.

and yes I realise how denigrating and condescending this sounds but I mean it. Just do some research. Try to clear everything you know and start anew.

I know more than you're likely willing to give me credit for mate.
I know about the Google Maps cars secretly storing open wi-fi accounts as they drove around town. I know about Google scalping Safari browser cookies on iPhones without Apple's permission. I know about all those stories. I still choose to use Waze as it is the best navigation software that exists. I still choose to use gmail as it is the best email software that exists.

I know the risks associated with a giant corporation such as Google, but for you or anyone else to chastise anyone else for not caring is not only pointless and futile, it's rude as hell as you've demonstrated thus far.

Furthermore, I find other tech companies' revenue streams just as if not more troubling. Secretly, physically, slowing down 1-year-old hardware to force your customers to come to your retail locations only to be told to buy more 200% profit-margin hardware, which itself was manufactured in literal Chinese sweatshops where they have to install netting to prevent employees from killing themselves due to the strenuous conditions, seems more egregious to me than a Google Maps car accidentally logging a wi-fi password as it briefly connected to it.

Not him, but I've been occasionally browsing /g/ for many years now and I know all about how invasive Google is and shit, but I choose to ignore that, as it simply does not affect me in a negative way in real life. I realize that it is a matter of principle, but why would you pity someone who has the luxury of being able to use Google's products with a clear conscience? I personally pity people like you and RMS, as they must constantly look for alternatives which are almost always worse, all because of autism gone too far.
Life would be hell for me if I had strict principles and always avoided being even a little bit hypocritical.

There was a time when you didn't need to explain to anons why using google is bad. Now you're being shamed for not using it boy fucking uncritical soyboy faggots.

There was never a time when you didn't need to explain why you didn't use Google, though there have always been tinfoilers. The tinfoilers are rightfully retreating back into their mom's basements.

>tinfoilers
You absolutely have to go back

This. I'm not even arguing those shills anymore

Because you can't, tinfoiler.

Google maps and a data plan you luddite, it has live traffic updates

don't get a gps if you don't want anyone to know who you are or where you're located

get a paper map

OP better remove his plates as well, cops and cameras are constantly scanning them

autistic retard jew

>Secretly, physically, slowing down 1-year-old hardware to force your customers to come to your retail locations only to be told to buy more 200% profit-margin hardware, which itself was manufactured in literal Chinese sweatshops where they have to install netting to prevent employees from killing themselves due to the strenuous conditions, seems more egregious to me than a Google Maps car accidentally logging a wi-fi password as it briefly connected to it.
Apple literally btfo