Veeky Forums's first car thread

What was your first car? Do you miss it? What did you like about if?
>1993 240sx SE
>digital spedometer
>auto seat belt
>so fun to drive and never broke down once except for it overheating when we first drove it home. After that $400 dollar fix it was fine for 2 years.

Pic related I knew nothing about cars and this went to 300000+ miles. I wish i never traded it in. Also this pic is from my area I really wouldn't be surprised if that was my exact car minus the front bumper.

1999 Boxster I bought in the summer. Got it for 4k and its been great. Had to replace some bulbs this winter and need to fix the bad wiring in my driver side brake light. Might buy new tires but I'm going to sell it before I go to university and I can probably make it until then just fine with my current tread. I like the fact that its fast, handles well, and is manual. Don't really try to drift because I like my tires. Its a pain the ass to get a hydraulic jack under because its so low and the part I jack it up from is kind of far under the car.

Who else /blessedbyparents/ here
Instead of buying me that $20k econobox like they wanted I was allowed to pitch buying an E30 and they chipped in a lil
Best decision I ever made because now I know about cars and fix my gfs doorlocks

Based
Dumb ricer

How can you even have a boxster as a first car? Dont know how insurances work in burgerland (im assuming you’re american) but i got weird looks and a speech about the dangerosity of powerful cars whenever i tried to insure any mercedes

A white 1999 Toyota Sienna my parents gave me. It bumped up and down like crazy when it got over 50 mph and all but one of the door handles were broken but it got me places.

2000 Toyota Camry. It was one of the best cars I've had. I regret so much selling that thing.

e39
terrible first car
it raised my expectations too high

woah your first car was a oneilvia?
thats a cool ass first car even if it looks terrible!

Still have it, wrecked the fucker and bolted it back together with zip ties and sheer willpower. The thing has to be haunted, because it refuses to die. It burns oil, the radiator fans don’t work, the right cv joint is creaky as fuck, I thrashed the shit out of it when I was a newer driver, and yet the thing always makes it wherever I need to be without fail. I wanted to pass it to my little brother but my mom says it’s “unsafe.” Going to hate seeing this thing go.

wait nvm on closer inspection those are shadows not missmatched paint, it probably looks quite nice with the bumper on

A 1977 (i think) Opel Manta. Bought it in -99 i think. It was a sweet first car. I still miss the sweet smell of old car, petrol and the forest of vanilla scented Wunderbaums hanging from the rear view mirror. It was a bit of a junk heap though and i ended up sending it to the junkyard because of massive amounts of rust. A-pillar on driver side was almost rusted away so the door was barely hanging there on just one hinge.
The Celica Supra -84 in the background is still my daily driver :) Picture was taken year 2000.

fuck i wanna save that manta but it's been long since turned into a cube

yeah i actually regret that decision a bit. But i was young and had just started at college and did not really have the possibility to hoard cars back at my parents house. I did not know anything about fixing cars back then either. I learnt that on the Celica Supra later and are now quite persistent at keeping that one alive at least :)

E36 328i. Got it with 125k 4 years ago, about to clock onto 199k today.
I love the ergonomics, with all interior controls easily in a fingers length of the gear selector and left side of the steering wheel. Even though the interior isn't as quality as the newer BMW's, it feels like a tight little sedan. Hoping to find myself in a 1 or 2 series next.

The 3 best BMWs in order

99' Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5MT

Heater core leaked and I never got it fixed. It was a pain in the ass since I didn't know jack shit about cars.

1980 Volvo 242, I still have it and intend to keep it for a very long time.
>you can hear and feel the engine at all times
>manual transmission, steering, windows
>windows in the back have a cool lever that cracks them open
>old car smell
>switches and sliders for everything
>cigarette lighter and ash trays for front and back seats
>a pair of little red panels on the dashboard and by the rear ashtray that say "fasten seatbelts" that don't light up right now but they will one day
>you can hear a physical click from somewhere inside the car when you turn on the highbeams
>doors make a very satisfying thunk when you close them firmly
>analog clock that ticks

I have nightmares about this car being stolen, or wrecked by a soccer mom in her crossover who was too busy texting to look at the road.

'99 Golf
Its a bretty good first car for Yuropoors but I got the base model from my parents.
Really want to buy a fun car thats not that expensive to maintain but dont make enough money to buy one before next summer feelsbadman

how bad are you at driving to crash a shitbox like that?

>got it in high school
>loud as fuck
>loud bov noises
>walked every chads mustang

felt good bros

I was just out of high school and hadn’t discovered the concept of “following distance”

Learned pretty quickly after that though

Accent bros

I had an Accent and then the timing belt broke way early because well that's what I get for buying an ebay belt I guess

So I swapped in the 2.0L motor from the Tiburon and had a few years more fun

Since it was only worth like $1200 on craigslist for an unmolested and undented one I just sold it to a friend to be his first car

The legacy lives on

>wanted to get an e30 at the end of high school
>parents said no because too old and muh safety

I am sad now, they're way the fuck more expensive now than they were back then...

2000 toyota camry. Not this exact car but same exact color, hubcaps, everything. Keep in mind I'm 19 and had it up until last year so it was quite old when I got it

>100600 miles
>drove through all of high school
>Was the only person I know who actually bought their own car
>I lived in a really well-off area so everyone I know drove 328is, CLAs, and v6 mustangs/camaros
>fuck those kids, I'll do it myself
>never had a car payment bc paid cash
>due to that, was able to stack and stack and stack throughout high school, first with shitty retail jobs and now with my own business
>was seen as an absolute loser in high school, and car certainly didn't help that

Joke's on them though. I used my autism to my advantage and started dropshipping, and now I have a cayman and no debt.

You can still get a well sorted one for $5-7k if you're willing to wait a few weeks/months

Oh I forgot to add

>manual windows
>no AC(in central florida)
>last owner was a chronic smoker so I could never get the smell completely out of the car
>friend accidentally ripped out the passenger door handle, so for about 6 months it was just a spring that I duct-taped over
>radio was compeletely shot so I had a cylindrical bluetooth speaker in the cupholder as my sound system

1997 Honda Passport
>drove it home about 20 miles barely knowing how to drive a manuel
>leaked coolent everywhere
>had no carpet but had one floor mat from a Saturn
>missing front bumper
>backed into a tree and broke the fender flare
>transmission tunnel got very hot after a drive on the highway
>found a rust hole in the frame after I bought it and had to learn how to patch it
>no a/c and heater barely works

but...

>5 speed and 4x4
>relatively narrow width makes it good off-road
>exhaust leak makes it loud as hell
>sunroof is re-movable
>cool early 90's styling

I beat the living shit out of this truck day after day and it just kept going even after 217k+ miles. I still and hopefully forever will have it.

Did you ever have any problems with it? I'm thinking of getting one.

I have a 2000 Crown vic p73 with 390k miles on it that does run and most likely that will be my first car, haven't driven it yet but I like it already even if it's old, worn out interior, smells of cig smoke, has worn out front end but hey AC works.

It was my second car but I still agree, luckily my e60 gives me almost the same feels

OP here. I forgot to mention my 240 didn't have AC in Florida as well XD. Summer was hell at red lights. After that and Irma I've decided ac is the greatest thing ever.

2007 honda fit. i still drive it. almost 150k miles now
fucking love that shit. it has a bunch of space and i've taken it on a bunch of road trips and it's rock solid, never let me down. apart from regular maintenance and having to switch out the ignition coils it's the perfect car

first car I bought myself, rather than just having my parents let me drive their sonata around. Got mine at 160k with 7 previous owners and a rebuilt title. If I didn't have the center bearing for the driveshaft snap off for a 3rd time in a row I would've loved to hold onto it.

>>had no carpet but had one floor mat from a Saturn

1987 Toyota Cressida that I bought a couple weeks after getting my license.

>paid $400
>red with red velour interior
>10/10 comfy even with a noisy rear differential
>digital dash that everyone pointed out

Kind of want to find a shell to put a non-turbo 2JZ into.

Integra
Not really. It was nice to drive. Zippy. I don't mind the problems it has because I gained experience by working on it.

Had*

94 ford tempoo
my dad said its a great deal, i thought he knew about cars. he doesnt.
spent more on fixing it than actually buying it.
bought an 05 kia rio and thats still goin strong. (on the left)

My dad's 1998 Honda Accord V6 automatic was the first car that I drove (which my brother crashed into an insurance vehicle).

The first car that I bought (Sept 2017) was a 2014 Miata Miata Club with a stick. Had about 17k on it and paid $17k.

Any of you dd an MR2 or own it as a side car? If so, how much do you make yearly, and could I do one of these as a part time worker/full time college student?

1993 240sx hatch 5 speed

Meant to post this in a different thread, whoops

1998 Plymouth Breeze
>do you miss it
fuck no
>what do you miss about it
nothing

2000 Buick Regal GS + engine mods
Still have it, don't think I'll ever sell it.
I love the power and the comfort, I just need some better tires for it.

I do

I DD this till the winter then I use the hand me down Yukon I got. Realistically if you have around 2-4k of a safety net always there shouldn't be a reason why not. A place to work on the car when stuff needs to be fixed helps a lot.

Chester Benningtons first car.

Its registered and insured under my mother's name, but I pay for and drive the car. $90 a month ain't too bad.

I or anyone in my family have never had a car.

My excel's rice puts yours to shame, also great first cars.

01 auto prelude first and current, no ragrets

ford fiesta mk4

i have it since 2010 and im still using it everyday
im really tired of the car but the nigger refuses to die

most reliable car ever

2003 Mazda 6
It used to be my Grandma's but I got it handed down to me after she passed away
It's really comfy and I love it a lot

>got my dad's '99 300M
>gigantic boat of a car
>engine was already on its way when i got it, previous owner never changed the oil
>couldn't go above 4k rpm without starting to overheat
>didn't find this out until the engine seized up, opened up the block, and saw that there was black gunk fucking everywhere

>my next car ends up being a '00 crew cab frontier with more things wrong with it than you could shake a stick at

Audi A3 8L
Still have it.
I could have got an S3 but diesel is acessible to me for free on almost unlimited amounts so i went with the 1.9tdiPD 96KW
Love her more with each passing day.
That engine is reliable as fuck. 326K kilometers on clock and still going strong.
Changing timing belt is a bitch though.
Its a cheap and reliable car and has its fair share of sportyness.

>based AU falcon
>blew the head within the first few months of owning it
>all the door lock actuators were broken so it had central locking, but no doors were capable of locking
>auto would go into limp mode at random times
>felt like rubber bands winding up before it would go anywhere
>there was so little road feel you couldn't tell what the tires were doing half the time

nearly died in it more than 10 times

Kind of a two-way split

'84 Chebby S-10 was interim before my sister was done using the car I was supposed to get. This was our "family truck", my grandpa had probably bought it new. It was worn down and beat to hell and back but still ran just great back then. Was still being used reliably up until I hit college when the trans started slipping. It's still sitting out front of the barn on my parents' land, and I really want to get a new tranny in it because that truck has really developed its own character and personality by now, but I never have the time or money.

My actual first car was a '98 Honda CR-V, manuel, and that was another one I loved. bunches of little nooks and compartments to stash shit, roomy enough for all my friends but still small enough to be easily manageable in any driving situation. after I moved on to a different car, my sister hit 300k miles in it, and it got sold soon after, which is another shame. I miss that car too.

nice car
>comfy
>a lot of room for my legs
>not driving from gas station to gas station
>smiles at everyone
i mean my father burned it down by the time i got 18 but still

My first car was the accent's older brother. 2001 Hyundai Elantra GT, it was taken too soon on a backroad in Indiana

Rip

those 3 air vents on the bonnet just scream "power"

Mine doesn't seem to like thermostats, I've been through 4 in 4 years. I tore down the cooling system when I got it to make sure the water pump and thermo housing were metal.
The things that bother me most are broken clips for the door cards and sagging headliner, so if you don't mind typical ~20 year old car stuff it'll probably be fun for you.
I personally really like how it looks next to these more modern coupes, it's definitely a tight little sedan.

I've never had one
Hopefully will soon though, currently considering this, I'm thinking a cheap, 30+ year old (tax exempt), rusty, rattling, thick black smoke exhaling american muscle because fuck you
Any advice? Which are the cheapest? (I live in Sweden)

Kia Pride Wagon, automatic. Bought it for 300 euros. Still goes strong and rarely breaks, been driving it for 10 years now

Yeah but look what I drive now.

Lol ghosts can’t drive

you look like a soy boy

I know I posted it to put everything in perspective.

I got a 1989 corolla fx GT manual for $1300 cos fucked clutch, dad helped me fix it and it ran mean.
Sold it at 234k kms and i regret it ever since

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Bought new, was handed over to me when I got my license. Drove the piss out of it 350k miles when I was done. It still sits in the back yard to haul trash and wood. Love it to death and I love every chance I get to be back behind the wheel of it.

A 1987 Honda Prelude 2.0L Si bone stock w/ 148k miles for 1300 in cash. Best purchase I ever made. pic related

'98 Grand Am. I kinda miss it. Started with 125k miles and sold it to a family friend who drove it all the way from California to Maine. It was a good, reliable vehicle that wasn't hit with the GM 90's AIDS surprisingly. Had enough pep in acceleration to be fun and wasn't too horrible on gas consumption.

A shame it was FWD.

sell it to me right now

it's in taiwan now. I miss it dearly.

>sending a Manta coupe to scrap
I swear you deserve to be banned from ever owning any car

Still have it, 2013 Scion iQ. It's a little piece of shit and I love it, although I'm still kinda salty at my dad for not giving me his 2000 Toyota Echo. Whatever, still better than the Honda he was also looking at.