I assume teslas have instant heat like a hair drier does? Why is warming up a car still a thing in 2018?

I assume teslas have instant heat like a hair drier does? Why is warming up a car still a thing in 2018?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qw5eqKO-_9E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because I wouldn't want my mileage to be halved when the weather drops below freezing.

ikr? We're in 2k18, with cars that can drive themselves, yet we are still tied to the engine heat for climate control, if you don't have remote start, you're screwed! I mean how stupid is that?

Stop being a poor fag and get a car with remote start, or have one installed. Seems like an easy solution.

> have manual car
> would need to park in neutral to install a remote start system

sucks desu

You can find hairdryers for 20 bucks in walmart nigger, how hard would it be to include this cutting edge technology in a 2018 car?

its the price :(

Have you ever considered the reason that every single hair dryer has an ac plug? Most hair dryers would drain a car battery in under 15 minutes, assuming the battery had enough crank amps to power the starter in the hair dryer.

Plug your block heater in... I bet you live somewhere where it doesn't even get below freezing.

You wouldn't need a 2000 watts unit, 500W is more than adequate unless you're parking on an iceberg in the Arctic and need to sleep in your car. All Alternators, apart from the ones in shitbox city cars can easily provide 500W of power. Also, you actually only need to run the resistance heating element for as long as the engine needs to warm up, and then switch to engine heating, so the strain on the Alternator would be minimal.

>buy modern car
>remote start is built-in
>but you have to subscribe to he mfr's e-services for $200/yr in order to use it

I agree completely. Why don't all modern cars have at least electric heated windshield defrosters and maybe foot vents.

>buy old car
>it's carbureted
>have to sacrifice a loved one to the gods for it to start every morning

Where it's actually cold we use something like webasto that warms up the car and can be remotely controlled. Some cars have kind of a instant heater from the factory. My father's 2014 octavia blows warm air seconds after starting the engine and it's a diesel so it definitely has some heater

Because not everyone lives in freezing ice cube shitholes. I live in new mexico, should I start demanding cars have a Liquid nitrogen reservoir for instant cooling instead of waiting 5 minutes?

>the current year +2
>not owning a car that blow ice cold within 15 seconds of starting

wew lad

Blast a -20c windshield with 40c air and see how long it lasts. That's why every windshield in Alberta is fucked.

>using 2kw of your precious battery life simply to warm your cabin

>dont live in 3rd world
>never need my heater

On E24/E28 there was an option to get this "independent heater." You set a time in the morning, it would use the fuel pumps to power this heater, very little electricity needed, engine doesn't need to run. The only downside was it could easily burn your car to the ground.

>Not heating up the world on a global scale so you don't ever have to use the heater
If only such a thing would actually happen

Fast EFI kit + high output coil makes everything easier

Would it just flow gas around a heating element in the cabin? How does it actually work?

Trips of truth

~30-36 amps of power is a decent chunk of the overhead alternators have

You can’t pull that kind of energy from the battery without a straight connection to it.

You can’t use a fucking hair dryer in a car because even on low they use way too much energy.

If you capped the wattts at 500 it would not be enough to warm the car up and you’d have to idle the car higher in most cases to power the damn thing.

Resistance heating when it comes to cars is mentally retarded and a complete waste of energy.

You have an ICE.... it gets hot, you use that heat, this is how it works.

You want warmer air faster?

Block heater.

Done, easy.

Can’t you just draw directly from the alternator 500W for about 5 minutes while the engine warms up? How draining would that be?

Ford has this as an option on the diesel super duty.

VW transporters and multivans can have Webasto installed, real comfy for camping

Let's take a look at a random hair dryer, it's ~2.4kw, now let's also be generous and say 400w of that is for the fan. So we have a 2kw heating element, at say 14.2v for a running alternator it's 141 Amps that's more than even most full-size SUVs with SBCs have.

I have a 500W small hairdryer, it’s more than enough to warm a human being

Because its much more efficient and less of a fire hazard to use excess heat from the coolant?

You’d only use the resistance while the engine is cold, then you switch if off

Is the waste heat on an EV high enough for that? Or do you mean putting a hest pump on an ICE vehicle?

I mean fitting an ICE car with a resistance heating element that provides instant warm air for as long as the engine can’t when it’s cold

Why don't you just turn up the heat a bit in your garage?

I live in the city, I park on the street

>I have a 500W small hairdryer,

Why?

p l e b
l
e
b

For travel

Most diesel cars already have that because diesels make virtually no heat at idle

I can't believe it took 15 hours for this to be posted. The majority of the thread so far is just people without any knowledge making up reasons to make EVs look bad. It's also available on quite a few of the larger gas luxury cars (sometimes in the cold weather package) such as the Lexus GS/LS, as well as most of the various plugin hybrids.

Apparently it works by burning gas inside that little black box like a fuel furnace, thus requiring little electricity. The heat is coming from burning gasoline. Also, since you've now installed a gasoline burning stove in your car, it's much easier for it to burn to the ground.

Ever seen the alternator(s) on a diesel compared to a normal car?

youtube.com/watch?v=Qw5eqKO-_9E

I had a 1996 Lincoln with remote start. Don't get why it isn't completely standard yet.

why is leghumping that dumbfuck Elon Musk still a thing in 2018 when electrics will fail and we're already running out of raw materials to make batteries as it is?

Lots of insurance is invalidated by having the car running without you in it.

I've had a few companies refuse to insure me with aftermarket remote start due to increased theft risk.

Oh, I don't live in nigger town so I don't think it affected me.

warming your car up in the cold and not moving it
you're actually wearing your engine out faster by not getting the oil moving around

Do you know how much energy a hair dryer consumes?

Check your small print

>this thread again
Nigger we've been over this a month ago. Everyone ignore this faggot

most electric heaters which are worth anything are 2KW, and a 2KW electric heater will put too much load on the the alternator, as you'd need like a 300A alternator so it doesn't overload the system and stall the car,

thankfully ICE's are incredibly inefficient which allow us to heat a cabin without using any extra fuel.

>electric heaters which are worth anything are 2KW
Source?

best reviewed fan heaters on argos, 2-3KW

best source you can get really.

But remember we're not talking about a big house/room, we're talking about a very small, confined car cabin

180amp alternator on my Ram 2500

I'm pretty sure you can order some of the diesels with dual alternators

yeah I don't agree with this guy that its a reasonable solution to the problem because even a small heater just draws too many amps, but you definitely do not need a 2kw heater for a car.

Wtf are you talking about?

Cars are alway lubricated when the engine is running ... larger diesels even have electric prime pumps so they have oil pressure before they even fire...

Are you a retard?

do you mean a spritz of starter fluid?

You kind of do. That's pretty close to the output of the vehicles heater on full blast with the engine fully warmed up. When it's -30 that's not enough in a small wagon with no insulation.

>Why is warming up a car still a thing in 2018?
It's not. In my experience, any car made in the last 20 years takes less than 2 minutes to reach operating temperature

Depends on what you drive, I live in a mountainous area and my 2017 GTI will literally have the temp gauge go down when coasting down the hill near my house. Granted the car has gone less than a mile until that point.

Basically, th heat doesn’t get really warm until halfway to work, fully hot when I’m literally pulling into work.

Thats what an oversized performance cooling system will do though, my regular 2015 Jetta was better about heating up.

Intercooler and radiator are larger on the GTI.

My 5.0 explorer heats up by the time I get to the first stop sign lol

>not parking in neutral
This board is full of morons

While that poster's misguided on oil pressure being the culprit, the truth is idling your engine unloaded for extensive periods cold is a sure fire way to prematurely glaze cylinders. It's always better to apply a light load, say half a minute or so after starting.

>Thats what an oversized performance cooling system will do though, my regular 2015 Jetta was better about heating up.

That's how not knowing how a car works will do.

Cooling system oversized or not, has nothing to do with it. That's why thermostats are there for.

They open when needed, they remain closed when not.

You'r car doesn't get hot because your drive cycle is too short. With anti-polution norms, especially in a 2017 car, warm-up till operating temperature is under strict guidelines. Your car ins't a snowflake with an uber cooling system. It's an appliance disguised by a clever marketing department to be a sought after good.

Your explorer heats up faster because it is a fucking 5 liter engine you brainlet.

>parking in neutral in freezing weather so your car's interior can get comfy while your handbrake gets frozen and immobilizes vehicle
GREAT IDEA!