Are cars a hobby for the rich?

Are cars a hobby for the rich?

yes

t. poorfag that spends 20k+ a year on a shitbox

No, learn to wrench and it’s surprisingly cheap. Cheaper than golfing anyway

it can be the second most expensive thing people own aside from a house
and that is just in reference to normie who only has a car for commuting

If your a faggot obsessed with performance cars or a retard that does not know how to pick non shit cars then yes.

Depends what you do with them.

Rich or stupid
t. Stupid

you can do cars while dirt poor, shitboxes and backroads can be just as fun as supercars on racetracks if your in the right mindset

Nah. You just gotta be smart.

No, and anybody who says yes is either literally living in a dumpster or doesn't live within their means and obsessive over cars that are out of their price bracket.

Depends on the kind of enthusiast you are. If you're joe shmoe and want a Ferrari, it's going to suck for you.

Cars, like the cars Veeky Forums have, are the hobby of the middle class, as are medium to small boats.
The rich prefer (large) boats and planes. And I mean owning them, not just appreciating them. Million dollar cars and high level racing not withstanding.

It's a hobby for people who like driving and appreciate cars. A lot of rich people that aren't into cars see supercars as a luxury item or an accessory to get attention and compliments like wearing a Rolex watch or a pair of Gucci sneakers.

More or less, yes.

There quite literally isn't a single person in my county who isn't rich themselves and owns one or more nice cars who doesn't live with their upper class parents, possibly at 25+ years old, that give them access to large garages to fully utilize. With what said wrenching yourself is extremely time consuming even with adequate tools, space and help from friends and has very little payoff relative to the amount of work put in. These people usually don't pay anything to live with their parents or do anything around the house, dividing literally all of their time among working their asses off at a good job that took them 5-10 years of busting their ass to get in order to afford things for their car(s), wrenching with and on said things, starting flame wars with retards on Facebook, fucking women, going to car meets and racing.

Most of them obviously work very hard themselves to afford it, but it would be impossible if they weren't born into considerable money and didn't have their parents supporting their habits by enabling them to do nothing but make money and play. It's extremely unlikely you'll ever find yourself in one of their positions if you're middle or lower class (in comparison anyway) no matter how hard you work and how many lucky breaks you get. Unless you open up your own shop or something which probably won't get off the ground until you're at least 30 and have extensive connections and experience which itself will probably take over a decade.

it's becoming more and more accessible to everyone

i met the dude that owns those cars/that garage. He's a narcissistic asshole but it was expected.

His NB is sweet as fuck tho.

lawd cleanest engine I've seen in my entire life.

It depends on what you mean, because most middle class niggers can go finance a hellcat for 7 years so its a pretty accessible hobby. But on the other hand modding/tracking is expensive as fuck.

keep your racial slurs to yourself. you sound like you have no idea what youre talking about you truant.

Thread over

Yes but if you live in a densely-populated city, you can give up all hopes of making it a hobby

yes. yes it is. and I have 4.

so much misinformation and generalization ITT

>Yes but if you live in a densely-populated city, you can give up all hopes of making it a hobby

What is Tokyo? shits way more dense than NYC and has a thriving car culture. In tokyo you have to be rich to have car as a hobby but in a place like the NJ suburbs or CT suburbs or even LA suburbs its entirely possible for youngins to partake in car culture. All you need is a shitty job (thats assuming you still live with your parents)

It depends on if you demand super cars/new sports cars or not. There are all kinds of automotive enthusiasts and many are quite frugal.

Get yourself a car that you love and learn how to use your wrench to keep it healthy. It doesn't have to be a sports car, it can be a rare quirky car.

didn't he marry into money? i vaguely remember him mentioning this once

he did? i don't know. I've only watched 1 or 2 of his videos and in one of them he mentioned he worked in IT.

>What is Tokyo? shits way more dense than NYC and has a thriving car culture.

i believe you rarely see cool japanese cars in tokyo, the only "nice" cars you see are foreign exotics

the find gtr's and shit you gotta go outside of the city into the poorer areas lol

have you been to tokyo?

also you sound underage. you think "gtr's" are the only cool Japanese car that exists?

Black dude. Porsche 996 turbo, Porsche 987.2,, Fairlady 280Z, Merc SLS. Where you at baby?

this. i have been to tokyo and there are plenty of cool cars in built up areas. pic related.

also pic related.

and again.

Why do people ruin cars like this?

They don't have to be, but the sports car was born as a toy for the wealthy and has never really escaped that original contextualization.

>keep your racial slurs to yourself
>>>/tumblr/
You gotta go back soyfag shemale nigger

It's a hobby for the rich but a lifestyle for anyone else choosing to do it.

What you mean ruin?

No.

No.
Yes.

Damn right faggot.

stay in there

i remember that nice little period in 2010-2013 or so when being a neonazi was called you being an edgy faggot but now apparently it's cool again

Ridiculous cosmetic mods. Too ricey

I remember the nice little period in 1967-1979 or so when being a commie got you socially ruined by a Wisconsin senator and black-bagged by the CIA but now apparently it's cool

>20k+ year on a shitbox
That ain't a shitbox unless it literally piss gasoline out of the exhaust

man i hope that there comes a point where you're able to look back and be embarrassed by how much of a faggot you looked like to other people

>he thinks I'm the /pol/fag
>he thinks you have to be a neonazi to appreciate American anti-red sentiments

Goddamn we need another McCarthy.

>implying my statement had to be about a /pol/fag
you're describing your fap fuel of commies being taken out, that's the cringiest shit in the fucking world and hopefully you'll eventually see that

Nah, the cringiest shit in the world right after being a commie is being a commie apologist.

for all my failures, at least i can say i don't have a folder of images i use to own libtards on a regular basis
thanks for the pick me up not being anthony burch just wasn't doing it lately

Going to track days is. Owning cars isn't

>All this autism

I got a beater car for $450 ausbux, but I got totally ripped. Fixing it up is fun as shit; usually just takes a trip to the wreckers and $10 to fix a slew of problems. THen again I'm not an autist so the wrecker tend to not charge for small things like globes and fuses since I treat them like real people.

I'm a student working part time. Admittedly I'm pretty solid middle class, not poor, but not exactly wearing diamond studded dick rings either. Generally it takes me a while to do major repairs since saving for certain parts can be a bitch. But a surprising amount of shit can be solved with a bit of ingenuity, electrical tape, and taking shit apart to clean and put back together.

Several issues I've had with this car I've just taken the area apart, detailed it, and then put it back very carefully. A few issues have been solved because something was rattled loose and never really fixed, and the previous owners just wrote it off as fucked.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but my general point is that cars are not a hobby for the rich. Performance, luxury, racing etc are all expensive, but they aren't all of cars. You can have a shitload of fun restoring a shitbox and it's all relatively cheap if you pick the model carefully. My particular model happens to be a fairly easy car to buy parts for, since there are about a trillion of them lying around and parts used to be manufactured nearby.

Relatively speaking, no. The true hobbies for the rich are as someone else has said boating (specifically yachting on the extreme end) and planes. A 10 year old private jet will set you back somewhere in the range of $2-5 million depending on the model yet the rich are buying them like candy right now because prices are low, including jet fuel. Large boats (35+) will also cost in the range of a million, rising exponentially as you move into the ocean cruiser segment with almost no ceiling to speak of. These make cars, even the most expensive ones (barring niche classic cars) look like child’s play.

Just go to a car meet and see how many kids show up in shitboxes they’ve modified themselves. They’re indisputably enthusiasts and hobbyists despite in many cases being poor. It’s one of the great things about cars, that you can work with what you can afford and still have a great time with a very low cost of entry.

Depends on what cars you want to go car. In general, yes, because you would be looking at exotics.

Pretty obvious answer.

>kike
>self made man
lol

Is that a bitcoin pin on his shirt?

uhhh e39 m5? FD?

>exotics
Depends on your definition of expensive, I guess.
Annual servicing for mine is around $2K, just got new tires/brakes/rotors, that was another $4K.