I am considering buying an older N54 135i mainly for the tightness of the 1 series and also the tuneability of the N54...

I am considering buying an older N54 135i mainly for the tightness of the 1 series and also the tuneability of the N54. I currently have a mk7 GTI that makes around 316bhp/386btq.

How much more effort would it take to take my N54 to a level where it makes more power than my GTI? People say the N54 internals can handle way more than VW's 2.0l but I never see these numbers on N54 boards so I don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

>tl;dr would a n54 be a good step up from my GTI in terms of next level performance/power

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=n54 build
youtube.com/watch?v=jb7PugnUlSw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm fairly sure this is a troll thread based on that bait the other day, but if it isn't:
>How much effort
Virtually none. A GTI running that much power is just about at its limits, whereas that's barely above stock for an N54.
>I never said these numbers
Are you even looking? 135i makes 302hp from the factory, with the ability to hold way, way more
>Good step up in terms of performance
Absolutely. The engine can make much more power reliably, not to mention the huge difference in braking, handling, etc

The N54 is probably one of the most tuner friendly modern engines. It’s so easy to get more power out of them. Also one of the most reliable engines bmw has ever made. btw an N54 probably already makes more power than your GTI , it is underrated from the factory

Sauce:
my buddy had an N54 335i he tuned to 600hp with stock internals. I have an N54 Z4 (stock)

Mine made 355whp with just jb4 and a charge pipe

Not a troll boyos, genuinely curious. It’s not well documented on the web which is why I ask. I believe you that the stock Internals can handle more; I just don’t see the numbers posted anywhere

How do you handle smog tests with a modded engine?

Fellow tech has one, with a tune he got from some russian site, he makes 370hp stock everything

mod it after you pass

well believe me, as a random person on the internet, the N54 is no joke. it is the god engine

>lightweight and toss-able
>twin turbo setup to minimize lag
>linear power band
>robust and reliable
>excellent throttle response, feels like an NA

Yeah, but in two years you got to pass again.

>not documented
Yeah bullshit. There is a forum dedicated to the 1 series and another dedicated to the N54. How can you be so inept that you can't even handle a Google search?

either that or declaring and paying out your ass for every bit and bob you tack on.

>Had the same idea a week ago
>Was looking at exact same car yesterday (sfbay cl)

I think these cars will probably go up in value once people remember they exist

Nah m8.

Those number he states 316/386 are APR stage 1 numbers. Literally plug the car into a computer and it goes from 220/258 to that. Granted the GTi is really underrated and is really around 250-260 hp stock and 300 ft lbs.

Comparing it to an N54 really is apples and oranges and really doesn’t make sense.

The real point where an mk7 GTI is near its “limits” on a stock engine with an is38 turbo upgrade is 400 hp/400 tq.

Beyond that you’ll need a more built engine like a golf R engine.

Again it’s kinda like apples and oranges to compare a GTi engine to an N54. I’ve no doubt an N54 can handle more power but it’s not a small hot hatch either.

Depends on the tune and the state, if its CA, they do a sniffer and visual, the workaround is if it's just an ECU and some bolt-ons, you just keep your stock parts and run inspection, swap and continue your day. For more intricate builds, I'm not quite sure.

>reliable
Lmfao
I’m a bimmerfag, you and I both know that’s bullshit

show me then. all i see are a bunch of retards installing bolt ons and jb4 tunes and bragging about numbers that are comparable to the GTI. show me these 500,600,900 hp n54 builds

It has its weak points, but once you address them (permanently) it's pretty dead reliable

lmgtfy.com/?q=n54 build

You can gain 200bhp on an N54 for roughly $1500

See

Which issues are the ones you can fix permanently? Are there any that will always be issues. I want to get a 335is soon.

Have a 135i but n54 wise from what I’ve read:

>Permanent fix
Wastegate rattle by replacing the turbos with better aftermarket ones or rebuilding yourself like tan e82Anon did

>reoccurring issues
HPFP, some owners have replaced theirs multiple times within the first 100k. Water pump, known BMW problem in general.

Honestly, I just say fuck the rest and fix it as shit breaks. At the end of the day, all cars break down on occasion

that's a pretty slick ride man. Any future mods you intend on doing?

it honestly is reliable. it's no toyota, but for a high performance engine it has minimal problems. They fixed the HPFP thing

Unrelated but how are the 128is compared to the 135is?

Thanks user. Not at the moment, I plan on leaving it stock unless the turbos blow and I’m forced to buy something else to daily. As much as I’d like to mod it, I don’t want to deal with the headache of the additional power placing extra wear on the surrounding parts

By living in a state not run by communists

its the real supra successor the only downside is 1wd

They're perfectly fine, if you have a vajina.

Way way more reliable as a daily driver, I’m talking bulletproof

Delusional, compared to most other bmw engines it’s a nightmare. I know people who own them, and every bmw forum is filled to the brim with N54 problem posts. Sure it has a lot of potential but it’s just stupid to have as a daily driver unless you have deep pockets and a lot of time to wrench.

of course the forms are deep with problems. thats what forms are for. and most people beat on these engines.

what modern bmw engine is more reliable?

N54s take boost well I ran 12+ PSI for 80k miles without issues.

You'll have to fix all the other expensive BMW shit though..

holy shit I didn't know the HPFP was such an issue. I had to deal with the water pump and sold it just before dealing with the VANOS oil runner problem.

Fun car though

what other expensive shit did you have to fix?

Reeeeeee why is it so hard to find a lower mileage n54 car on the east coast.

this is the only way you're getting a low milage n54

allegedly you can get a P.O. box in one of the counties where they don’t have smog testing required, I think it’s San Luis Obispo, and just register your car there. I have not looked into the validity of this claim though.

literally makes more power than your potatoshitter (bhp, LOL) from the factory

>lower mileage
Why would you want that? Higher is better with them as the stealership has already replaced the majority of the problem parts under warrenty. Buying low mileage, but older, means you’re on your own as the warrenty has aged out already

It’s an n54. Anything that could have failed has already failed by 40k .

i considered an mk7 gti.. how do u like it user.. im moving to cali and need to stay stock.. also considered a mk7 golf r.. any advice is appreciated

also check out the 135i on 1320 that puts a gtr to work.. single turbo stock injectors stock trans and 158k.. puta the beat down on a built stock turbos gtr

look up "single turbo build 335i" on google. all of those people putting down 6-700whp are on bone stock engines with an upgraded pcv valve

here's me pulling on a cam/headers C6Z06 with mere pump gas on a precision 6266 335i

youtube.com/watch?v=jb7PugnUlSw

whoops forgot vid, im putting down around 520whp here

now i'm on methanol pushing around 600whp

Good luck with a lot of the cooling system

Google you dumb bastard. There's a ton of guys running just bolt ons in the 400s on stock turbos

The mk7 gti was probably one of the best purchases I ever made. It truly is the perfect blend of performance and daily driveability- all in a package that is refined as fuck considering the price point. I just hope nothing breaks

What you guys think about a 120d with the m47 for a poor student?
Will I be able to maintain it
I currently have a 2001 w203 c220cdi which I am pretty close to selling and I spend around 50 euros a month on repairs
And should I go for an e90 320d instead?
I want something small and fun

If you can get a 320d from 4/2010 or up then i think all the chain issues are gone, and other than that the engines are pretty great

if you get the 184hp type, it's the same engine as a new F30 325D, just detuned, that same 320d is sold as 328d in the US, and with just a remap you can get it close to 300hp (250-280 unless you wanna push it)

You seem the torque curve on these guys?
A blast to drive.

bruh I am yuropoor
I can only afford a 2005-2007ish 120d
or a 2005-2006 320d

So E46? Not too familiar with the E46 or the 1 series, i've heard the earlier N47 engines had some timing chain issue and they were sorted by 4/2010 or 5/2010, im a yuropoor too, my 320d is 4/2010 so im just gonna cross my fingers

The 2009 allegedly has 330 hp like the 1 series M. The auto journals 0-60 mph showed 4.7 for that year and then it goes up to 5.

$500 gets you up to 370.

The engine is reliable in that all the problems are well known and everyone knows when The problem will happen. IE. No surprises. But the repairs are expensive and time consuming.

Its a great car desu.

good to hear..