How well does RWD work in winter...

How well does RWD work in winter. I live in MN and my dad keeps pushing me to buy memeburus or shitty Audi's because of muh awd sedan.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S0ul5GUFeoo
youtube.com/watch?v=9H1dRmmAgWE
youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw
hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-i-pike-rw11.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it works just as well as awd with a couple of exceptions:
-starting from a dead stop on slippery ground, especially uphill
-driving uphill in the snow on a steep incline
-give you a little bit more traction when leaving a turn, providing a false sense of security
-your dad is a fag

Who told you?
Fuck you. My dad loves me. So what he hangs dong. Then started to not notice when his dick slips out his boxers during breakfast. It's a good man. A good father. He never did anything I didn't want him to. It was all consensual. Men cannot get pregnant. My mom left us. We have each other and our sister. That's love. Care for each other. Unlike mommy. Fuck you, stupid neandrethal. I know how to please a man.
My sister can piggy back me and my dad will STILL choose to cum in my ass instead of her pusy

MN seems pretty flat so you should be okay with a lot of weight in the trunk/bed and some good winter tires. I personally wouldn't do it without a locking diff and even then you're fucked on steep hills and getting out of ditches.

its fine, as long as you have winter tires

Damn I wish I had a dad

Winter tires and limited slip differential is as good as AWD.

My dad was the same. This was my first winter in the gto and I was perfectly fine in Chicago with Blizzaks in the rear

Yeah no. Not if you have hills to start on. That power pulling from the front helps when you fuck up and wind up in a ditch.

MN I'm sure you'd want to factor in real deal winter tires. Here in the rust belt I can get by on decent all seasons as long as I'm not looking to do serious winter battle or deep snow, and I can stay off the roads once in a while when it's just not going to go very well.

Tires being equal, I would rather have open diffs front and back with an LSD center than RWD with an LSD. So I agree. But RWD with LSD can be pretty good as long as you're willing to work with limping through and countersteering instead of being able to power through.

LONG LOST bROTHER???!?!??!?!?

think about what YOU want and makes you happy and get it. then live with the consequences. rwd in the man winter might be a problem at times but if it makes you happy go for it. DO NOT let someone else cuck you out of your dreams even if what they say sounds good. just make sure rwd is what you want.

As long as you have winter tires and know how to drive in the snow(which you must because you live in MN) then you're good. If its still bad then throw some sandbags in the back.

Don't expect it to do what 4wd will do though, but you probably won't die.

make sure you get the widest and largest diameter tires that can fit your car. it's good to have them bulging out from the rim so you can let out pressure to make the car float better. might even want to consider raising the rear a bit to fit bigger tires. i'm doing it this summer so i stop getting stuck in the school parking lot because the plows do a shitty job.

refrain from using the gas pedal when getting out of parking lots as you'll only dig your way into ice and then you'll be completely stuck

just don't buy all season memes
if your driveway is a hill then you need to park with the rear facing down

>How well does RWD work in winter.
I live in CT. RWD is shit in winter no matter what it is and no matter if snow tires are installed or not.
FWD or AWD are infinitely better in winter.

Wide tires are shit in snow

FWD kinda sucks in winter too. You have to be extremely easy with the throttle or the weight just shifts to the rear. Getting up some hills can suck. 4x4 or "real" awd is superior.

>it works just as well as awd

not true btw inb4 >muh 500lbs of sandbags in the trunk
Again, RWD does not work "as well" as AWD in winter, at least not if where you live is common to get a feet or two of snow overnight

Once you do a powerdrift on snowy roads in a good AWD car you'll never want to go back to RWD for winter driving.

The people saying it's as good as AWD are bullshitting, it's definitely not. If you have a lot of hills and more than maybe 15 cm of snow regularly, AWD is the way to go. But RWD with good winter tires and some weight in the trunk (might not need that depending on the car) isn't any worse than a FWD car in snow (assuming you aren't a soyboy that's scared of oversteer), plus you can have a lot more fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=S0ul5GUFeoo

yeah if you want to pull off some mad skids. they help out a lot when you're going slow

this. from my experience you can take turns at way higher speeds on a rwd than a fwd can

Why not get a 4x4 and have both? Plus a truck will take a hit from a curb and keep going. Do it in a car thats not a cvpi and your looking at a tow and a $3000 bill.

4x4 trucks are better suited to like crawling through massive snow. A car with good suspension setup, a bit of ground clearance, and proper AWD will be much more calm and collected over everything that isn't a trying to plow through an unplowed dirt road.

Confirmed, it is actually worth it to undersize your tires in the winter for some cars.

As for RWD in winter, it depends on what we are talking about when we say winter. I live in an area that does not plow down to pavement, and only plows on large snowfalls. As such, I don't see asphalt for 4-5 months. I do fine with FWD, I run Hakkapeliitta 8 tires (not legal in MN) and I do better than an AWD with lolBlizzaks. It’s actually pretty fun because you essentially do low speed rally driving through residential streets. I don’t enter full on drifts, but you need to apply the friction circle.
If you can see pavement then RWD is probably fine. If your wheels are constantly cutting through loose and packed snow then it is a problem if you don’t know how to drift. I have driven an old RWD Mazda MPV in the winter. I had to load the back up with sand, and even then I got some unwanted anal play. You can do it, the Volvo 142 hit legendary status among rally fans for a reason, but you need to be prepared for your rear end to swing.
If you are going to get AWD I would go Subaru, Audi, Jeep or bust. You are just wasting your money if you buy a fake AWD car. Ok, you can get a Mercedes G class, or a Toyota Land Cruiser but I doubt you have that kind of money.

Lol, learn to drive. It is crazy simple. Break before the turn, no throttle while turning in, apply throttle when you start to straighten the wheel. When you accelerate, do so smoothly and cut back if you feel wheel spin.

If you have a steep hill, or a big drift, use momentum. Most FWD cars are fairly light, so this works quite well.

>If you have a steep hill, or a big drift, use momentum.

Well no shit but how are you supposed to do that when 20 fucking idiots are spun out infront of you? You can't always get momentum and you can't cheat physics even if you "know how to drive". If you have a good awd system or 4x4 you just floor it and roost their asses. Getting around corners is easy with any drivetrain layout, That's not really the issue. It's the hills and getting unstuck that sucks.

Getting going from a stop is probably the best part of 4WD/AWD imo. Just flooring it is gay and faggoty (but sometimes fun). It's practical, though, compared to having only one driven axle, whichever one it is.

I live on a dirt road in Minnesota, and I was daily driving an M3 from 2010 to 2014, so really 3 good deep snow winters. I bought some Nokian Hakkapelitta R2s in narrower than stock sizes (use the Miata.net tire size tool to find appropriate narrow tires). I did better in snow with those tires than I did with all seasons on a 4wd (thought the ground clearance was nice), or Blizzak LM-50s on a front wheel drive car.

Now I have Hakkapelitta LT2s for my Colorado, but I didn't even bother putting them on this year, it has been a pointless winter.

Two things have been the most fun in my life as far as cars go. One was having real AWD and OK tires and knowing how to rallydrive through the snow.

The other was deciding I would us OK tires on AWD and not expect more than being able to get around, and having all the fun every time even through I had to get around carefully and sideways instead of ripping my way through the snow.

*OK tires on RWD

How would open diff be useful at all? Open diff the power goes to the tire with least traction

>starting from a dead stop on slippery ground, especially uphill
Drive up in reverse

It's not useful. But if you have an AWD system where the front and rear are open but the center is LSD then the whole driveline has so much inertial mass that you'll spin at least two wheels if not three at a time. It depends on suspension setup and how how you drive it, kind of like it won't always be the best to drive a lumbering truck with a locker in the middle.

Group B cars were basically 4wd and they handled alright-ish. You just gotta know how to manhandle it.

>How well does RWD work in winter.
Just as shitty as everything else. Generally doesn't matter if its your front or rear tires spinning, you're not going anywhere either way.

There were also cars like the Mazda GTX that were open center, front, and back. Even on that little thing you could distribute the applied torque among all four like a mad cunt much better than if you had only two wheels to use.

Heavy shit would have some momentum even if you broke it all loose.

They straight up suck lol somthing with a lsd and good tires would suffice but they aren’t ideal and remember awd helps you accelerate quicker but it doesn’t make you turn or brake better .

Lol fwd is better because all the weight is on the drive wheels

Until you accelerate and it shifts to the back...

True but if you can accelerate fast enough To transfer all that weight backward you probably aren’t worried about traction

AWD can apply engine breaking more evenly and will turn better if you have it set up right so you can transfer power from front to back at the flick of a foot. That's why Veeky Forums talks about real AWD vs. haldex.

It's all about tires, not weight. I could put your mom on the bed of my truck, but my shitty bald all season tires are still gonna spin.

That's why we put the weight over the rear axle in a real RWD setup. Have you ever had to drive around minivans uphill in a snow storm? They should get out of the way.

Oh em gee you fucking fags, race me in your bee em dubyaas.

Seriously though, once you've driven AWD through the winter, you'll want nothing to do with RWD or FWD. It's just so unstoppable.

Depends on your objectives. RWD in the snow has been stupid fun after a number of years being "that AWD guy" who could get through anything.

Priorities.

Yes on hills but I didn’t say hills , and put a g meter in your car and then take off easy and then launch it , gonna have more weight transfer on the launch and this is on flat ground , yes it’s harder to make a fwd hook but if your under 300hp I doubt you have this issue

Nice rebadged Volkswagen

>300hp hooking
>in the snow
I feel sorry for you.

Op asked what it is not personal preference , and as far as I’m concerned when you talk 100% realistic everyday driving It’s -awd
-fwd
-rwd

If you want fun then switch fwd and rwd ^

I thought he said rwd drag , sorry

It's cool. Your priority list is right, but OP asked if he could run RWD in the winter and the answer in MN is "it depends." Pretty much the same reason I decided to find out for myself.

Yeah I live up north we have had 6-12 inch snow falls a few times this year and apparently after December everyone forgets how to drive lol

ice nigger here. theres no fucking comparison of any sort, rwd sucks ass in any sort of serious winter. fwd is 4x better than rwd, awd is 10x better than fwd, and 4x4 is 2x better than awd. i still fucking love driving rwd in winter though, but for any sort of practical application is the fucking worst

>6-12" snow falls
I miss that

>louvres
i miss that

This happened close to where I live

Nice no-car meme.

Get a BRZ and give him the "but you said to buy a subaru!"

>fwd is 4x better than rwd
Wrong

>my dad keeps pushing me to buy memeburus or shitty Audi's because of muh awd sedan.
>Not doing hella mad skidz in the snow
>Trying to think that a frozen hellscape like MN will ever allow you the pleasure of actually enjoying rwd

You're a fucking dumb high schooler that needs to be 18 to post here, fuck off and get the Subaru, you probably look like a dyke anyway.

Really made me think

Maybe he shouldn't have pissed of whoever piled enough snow into his car that it broke the wing.

You get a lot more braking benefit for a locked center diff or a truck style transfer case with no differential than from a regular AWD system.

Basically if you can't escape that rig that puts 3 of your wheels on a roller, AWD isn't going to be any better than 2wd with a limited slip.

It slid off the roof...

i live in WI and drove a miat thru this winter, never had any trouble aside from a dead stop on a a decent incline (aka driveway). was pretty fun going out during the like only 2 snowstorms this year and doing snow driftus around all these terrified people in crossovers. just make sure you get a decent winter tire and you should be fine as long as you dont drive like a dumbass.

>MN seems pretty flat
No

Do you have a rear-engine vehicle?

youtube.com/watch?v=9H1dRmmAgWE

OP driving
youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

Poorfag

I mean, I have a Kia Sportage with AWD, and it murders winter driving. AS tires.

It's fun. I love driving my dad's 525i with broken ABS in the winter. Accidental skidz all the time.

i drive this barge in the snow on all-seasons and i've never had an issue getting enough traction to start or stop moving. winter driving is easy when you know how to safely manage the throttle.

It’s gay and pointless. You’re just going to go slow enough for it not to be fun. Even “””””fake””””” AWD is more entertaining and less tedious.

Blasting through gravel roads covered in snow is incredible with AWD.

What part of Minnesota are you moving to?

I live in Rochester

>Connecticut
>winter

kek. CT is full of soft faggots.

where i live there's either a blizzard or horizontal rain for two or three months during the winter. the roads are too uneven to plow down to asphalt. pic related is what i'm considering for my charger. 265/60/18

Other than using chains, this is the best winter tire I have ever used.

hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-i-pike-rw11.html