Cockroach cars

Who here owns a cockroach?

A shitty car from a company with a bad reputation that has less resale value than a used toilet plunger, but despite everything refuses to die?

It's an interesting dynamic in the car world that's not well discussed. There are "reliable" cars that do a million miles because they have good owners who drive carefully and do religious maintenance. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about cars that are particularly neglect resistant. Anything will die eventually, but some just run poorly longer than most run at all. I'm talking Cavaliers, Crown Vics, base model Civics with 4 speed trannies. Horrible or at best mediocre rides that get overlooked by most.

I recently got a 1998 Caravan with a 3.3l for next tonothing to haul stuff in and I've been pleasantly surprised. It's in horrendous shape. Last ower drove it 16k miles without an oil change and shredded the tires. Despite everything I've put another 10k on in the last 4 months and it never missed a beat. Apparently the 3rd gens with 3.3 and 3.8s are rock solid. It's an anemic pushrod block from the 80s that guzzles gas like crazy but is well sorted.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsflYVV3s0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I always enjoyed that you could open the sliding door while the car was in motion.

Lots of potential with that.

The funny thing is mine has a key lock on every door. Apparently they decided that was cheaper than having central locking, which is good because half the wiring harness fried and took out the AC, radio and 12v outlets but they could have just put manual only interior only locks on the sliding doors.

Also the left sliding door is stuck shut. At least it doesn't fall off like the one on my old Mitsubishi Expo LRV did.

cockroach cars

I hear those things are a blast with the 2.2 ecotec and a manual. They're fast because power to weight but rattle like shit so you're never sure if you'll actually get where you're going without something important falling off. Makes every drive an adventure.

can confirm.

With what? Drive by shooting? Kek

add in the saturn ion as another rattly piece of work

My parents had an '05 Chevy Uplander. Interior plastics were horrible, pieces fell off left and right, the driver's seat recliner stopped working after a while, etc. But that thing never died on us once. It always started up just fine and got us from point A to point B successfully.

2011 Scion tC, manual transmission.

I treat her like a trashy slut and she keeps running. Literally redlining every day, change oil every 10,000 miles (which causes the oil filter o ring to melt over time, and I scrape it off with a razor), never did any work to it beside the sunroof rails breaking cause i basically went offroad with the sunroof opened up.

People keep asking me, when are you getting a new car? I tell them, in 20 years when the engine drops down to the pavement due to rust.

second gen TCs are actually good unlike the first gens.

Pal had an 87 accord, 300k, orig clutch, loudaf due to $20 glasspack because f paying $100 for a muffler, ratchet strap holding the valve cover on (when the leaks get bad just tighten a click)
The golden beater, probably still runs.

Wait, they don't anymore? How are you supposta do the rapid pickup/dropoff? Those were wonderful memories of the one guy who had a liscense and car back then playing taxi for drugs and in such demand that if you werent outside ready to leap in when he slowed down he floors it and your walkin

its funny because cars like this are only like this because of the massive tolerances inside the moving parts as far as i can tell.

the company didnt put effort into making the thing efficient at all or using precision and science to design the engine or tranny so they just fill it up with thicker oil to fill the gaps and off it goes.

either this or just a stubbornness to accept modern technology and just build their cars like soviet tanks ie old volvos

and normally this seems to be a completely unintentional side effect that they dont capitalize on in advertising.

My 08 Hyundai Sonata is supposed to be a shitty car and has almost no value now, but it's still running fine at 100k

I've got an 02 Saturn, I treat it like a rally car and it won't die.

>Crown Vics, base model Civics with 4 speed trannies. Horrible or at best mediocre rides that get overlooked by most.
neither of those are overlooked. old civics are generally regarded as "the" used car, and old 90's civis are ridiculously common specifically because of their reputation as reliable shitboxes.

and Crown vics are meme machines for a similar reason. And they are CERTAINLY not overlooked in any capacity. they were ubiquitous for almost 2 decades, during which they were THE fleet vehicle. And still stubbornly are in many places.

not to mention I wouldnt say a crown vic is a mediocre ride. it's honestly about average for a 70's car

hear they are bad on gas?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsflYVV3s0

These cavemen try very hard to kill this one

Speaking of GM shitboxes add the Grand Am to that list

but what? those cars are actually a blast to drive believe it or not. small and low, but super comfy suspension. not very fast but you can toss it around with ease

Aren't average and mediocre the same thing?

no?
average is the basic level of acceptable quality. it's not bad, but not fantastic. it's just perfectly serviceable

mediocre is a complete and utter failure to provide something of even average quality.

I can't really speak for crown vics honestly, but they seemed pretty average to me even up until the end. 90's tier interiors, whatever that means to you. Nothing terrible, but definitely showed their age towards the end of their lifespan.

higher brand models like the Grand Marquis and Town Car were much better

My mom has a mercedes e320. That thing will not fucking die. The suspension is fucked, electronics are shitting out, but it just keeps going with 0 maintenance. My mom stopped changing the oil years ago because it just leaks out so she always puts in new oil. I went to add some to her car and there was a thick yellow froth all over the cap. That poor engine. It has almost 300k miles on it, my mom bought it at 120k.

That is not what mediocre means.

Mediocre means moderate my guy. A mediocre product is an okay product. Not good, but not awful.

Didn't know turks made cars

not a cockroach. it's exactly reliable as its supposed to be.

My dad and I call these "Public assistance cars"

those vans are bulletproof. it's a shame everyone's so negative about them. they are one of the best deals for your money. people really like to hate on the k - cars too.
i have that 3.3l van engine power but in a 2800lb car.

I unironically want to buy one of those old Swedish comfywagons and then spend an unjustifiable amount of money giving it a new deep red coat of paint, restoring the interior, and adding bells and whistles like sturdy roof racks and fog lights. All so I can ride around the country in one of these aesthetic bricks as if I optioned one from the factory myself. It's probably the most autistic entry on my bucketlist.

I've got a 406hdi, it's done a bit over 190,000 miles costs me next to nothing to run, rides like an armchair and gets 45mpg in the city/suburbs. According to the Internet, from what I've seen, this is an aberration and shouldn't be possible but despite me expecting it, the car hasn't died.

How come I always see these broken down on the side of the road? More than any imother vehicle? And the people who drive them are always retarded white trash.

I'm impressed.

I live in boomerville and see way too many of these around.

Those vans too I guess. Most of them are on their 4t immigrant african family

>this dude counter signals my car anytime he sees it and posts k car hate threads when i'm not even here
pretty sure it's alphonse too

>The funny thing is mine has a key lock on every door. Apparently they decided that was cheaper than having central locking,
I think it was a by-year and by-model thing; I had a third gen Voyager that had locks on every door, but a fourth gen T&C with all the goodies that still only had locks on the front two doors and the hatch.

My dad's 98 Buick Century survived Michigan with hardly any rust, got us to Texas, then Arizona. I used it for a year in college. He lent it to friends to make trips up the the grand canyon in. No significant maintenance done. 250k miles. Sister started driving it and let her friend borrow it who was promptly T-boned and ended the Buick's life in 2014. It was my dad's favorite vehicle. Dream come true after he came from Russia and finally got himself a real American car (well, after a rapidly disintegrating mercury sable constantly fucked him over between 95-99).

actually been wondering why you personal attack me

It depended on whether you had manual or power locks. If you had manual locks, you got a keyhole on all four doors and of course the hatch. If you had power locks, you only got keyholes on the front doors and the hatch.

People say BMW is the most reliable brand ever for some reason, but my old '94 has almost 250k miles on it and it hasn't needed anything big in at least 50k miles maybe more, same with my old '00 RAM 2500 it 190k miles and it hasn't needed anything more than a new muffler in 60k miles

Samefagging to add something. Second-gen models had keyholes on all three doors and the hatch regardless of power options. Third-gen ones had the rule I explained in the post I'm replying to. Fourth-gens were the same as third-gens for 2001 only - 2002 and later models only had keyholes on the front two doors even if you had manual locks.

Huh, neat. Thank you Satan, I've always wondered what caused the differences. Owned a second gen Voyager but that was so long ago I'll be damned if I remember what options it had. Own a Sienna now and boy was that a fucking mistake.

2001 Lumina, it's literally nicknamed the cockroach. Even looks like one lol

not my pic (mines was at more clapped out looking but same color)... this motherfucker has near 260k miles and is still chugging along.

Dents all over, no hubcaps, minor rust, radios been stolen... but it starts up every time with no hesitation and the A/C still blows ice cubes.

>it's literally nicknamed the cockroach.
My friends always nicknamed it "The Beluga Whale" particularly when they were white.
but yea. unkillable cockroach of a car.

Couple more quirks about the older Caravans that I can remember off the top of my head:
You couldn't order only power windows. You could order power locks by themselves, but if you wanted power windows you had to get power locks as well. Yet another Chrysler product, the infamous PT Cruiser, was almost the opposite: power windows were standard on all models, but power locks were optional.

If you wanted the tachometer on second gen models, you had to get the 3.0, 3.3, or 3.8. On third and fourth gen models you had to get the 3.3 or 3.8.

The 3-speed auto (only trans with 2.4, standard with 3.0) had an old-fashioned red piece of plastic moving along a track to tell you what gear you were in, with an unevenly-spaced gear sequence of PRND21. 1st-gen models with a 4-speed auto (optional with 3.0) had an evenly-spaced sequence of PRN[D]DL. The 2nd-gen onwards used PRND3L as the sequence. 3rd gens had a vacuum-fluorescent display for 4-speed models only. 4th-gens had the VFD on the tachometer-equipped cluster, while the base one had an LED indicator for 4-speeds and the piece of plastic for the 2001-only 3-speed models.

Tachometers could only be had on 3.3 and 3.8 models.

On 4th-gen models, the column shifter changed designs midway through the 2004 model year. The original design pointed only moderately upwards when in Park, and slightly downwards in Drive. The revised one pointed sharply upwards in both gears. Pic related.

On 4th-gen models you could get power sliding doors and tailgate. You could get a power sliding door on the passenger's door only with the driver's being manual, or you could get both doors with power assist, and either way you could get a power hatch. The buttons on the overhead console changed to reflect which options you had. But did the buttons on the key fob change? No. So if you had one power door and manual everything else, the keyfob had nonfunctional buttons for the left door and hatch.

First car was the Cav on the right but red with a 5 speed.
Light as fuck and pretty quick with the gearing and 2.4l twin cam.

Died at 99000 when the mount for an electronic control unit rusted away, dropped the thing and ran over it.