> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/LoneBuckshot
lonebuckshot.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes! Make progress and work hard agdg!

Does anyone know if there's an IDE that lets you quickly prototype code without the need of creating projects each time? Sort of like notepad++ but with the ability to compile and run some random shit you want to test.

I've been using Visual Studio and it just spams project folders left and right. I'm sick of it.

Reminder that the best engine to make a game is the one that you wrote and/or customized yourself to fit your own needs, regardless of whether you built it on Unity or assembly code as long as you didn't use Gamebryo

Make a project template in VS that has all the libraries and shit you need.

if you can't triforce then I will not be playing your game

A mimic isn't actually a container.
There's also no reason for containers to be mobs. Container should probably be an interface if you intend to have something like Chester from Don't Starve.

There is no need to do this much inheritance.
Also in that example you can just make the mimic a container with a behavior that erases it and generates a mimic monster where the container was.

Time for progress!

Movement and map transitions work pretty good now. Looks like the chubby oinkers in the bottom left are enjoying a peaceful evening. Sadly, not for long though... She's stalking in the shadows, looking to eviscerate flesh from the living

Next is to work on dialogue, menu screens and event systems.

>it's another "I don't understand OOP therefore no one should use OOP" post

So you're saying that OOP is bad because you're too much of a brainlet to tell the difference between a mimic and a container?

Yes. I got the point. You decided this method of approaching design is superior and you try to "prove" it by choosing dumb examples.

If you use OOP in gamedev it should be ECS's bitch

>writing shitty code and then thinking everyone is retarded as you so everyone writes shitty code like you
>justifying it with made up buzzwords to market your self help books
maybe sometimes communism is a good thing if the sjws sacrifice people like you to their menstruating goat god

>make first game fully free without cutting any feature with a story

>put second game on kickstarter or patreon

is this a good strategy? if no what is?

Make the first release a good meaty demo, then expand into a full game if people like it.

Put it on itchio with donations on

If it's any good you should sell it. Your time isn't worth nothing and free games only drive down the value of games as a whole.

Yes and no. See: Barkley Gaiden 2. There was a lot of interest in the sequel, but since the first was free the expectations for the second were a lot higher. Devs have yet to deliver anything, mostly due to new expectations.

If your aim is commercial from the get-go, make a game worth paying for.

>Barkley Gaiden 2
I keep forgetting about this game.
I wonder if we'll ever play it.

On a side-note, you can check out all the progress so far here:
twitter.com/LoneBuckshot
lonebuckshot.tumblr.com/

What is the game?

>the butthurt on the steamworks forums from people who are having their key requests denied

>tfw refactor made code a little too neatly compact and now is tedious to change

now I have to go back and like... defactor it

In short, an oldschool JRPG with a horror theme. Combat, puzzles and using items like in point and click adventure games. Want to avoid pointless grinding and make combat encounters short that rely on analyzing the enemy weaknesses and turning it against them. Shooting for a story that is made of 75% horror and 25% humor.

>not 80% horror 20% humor

I'm not touching your game with a ten foot pole

I don't understand that, If you want a steam key why would you buy the game on a different store? I understand steam letting you generate 50-100 keys to send to journalists and stuff, but generating keys so you can sell on itch.io and also provide a steam download makes no sense.

That's the whole reason Valve lets you generate keys, it brings people into the Steam ecosystem.

There's nothing wrong with selling keys externally, they want you to, it's just now if you sell 100 copies on Steam and ask for 100,000 keys they probably won't oblige any more.

Yeah, I get that, and it's perfectly valid reasoning from both the devs and steam. What I don't get is why would someone as a consumer go and buy a steam available game somewhere else if they want steam integration.

Game is $30 on steam, $19.99 on some other site. Mystery solved

Maybe it's cheaper, the regional pricing is more favourable, there happens to be a sale, you have payment info/credit there.

Green man gaming for example sacrifices part of their revenue share in order to offer a lower price.

>If you want a steam key why would you buy the game on a different store?
You can usually get a better price. Even if it costs the same, some people will go out of their way to support the dev by buying from the store that takes the smaller cut.

Valve is just cracking down on card farmers, though. Pajeet, Wong, and Ivan all request hundreds of thousands of keys for games with double-digit sales because they want to distribute them to card farmers.

what's the best way to snap shapes together? as in link shapes to make one big shape

how can i make my generic twinstick shooter more interesting

make a triple-stick shooter

I've been in a deep depressive coma and havent browsed the thread in an incredibly long time.

is Googem still alive and in suicide watch or did he finally kill himself?

You gotta pad the game with juice user

Gogem will never kill himself because he's sustained by our dislike of him.

Just make something good. Heavily scrutinize each part of the game you're making, and be brutally honest with yourself. If you make something great that actually stands out, it'll generate it's own interest(granted you at least do some basic marketing). If you're planning on making a shit game, then I suppose you could take the long route.

Who?
He basically killed himself by removing his games from steam.

A couple similar models:
>Free first version, paid HD version.
>Free on PC, paid ports to console or mobile.

Gratuitous yet hilarious violence.

What should you do to advertise your game and at what point in development should you perform each step?

Advertisement shouldn't just be a generic checklist (though obviously you must also do the stuff like social media, emails to sites/youtubers, trailers)

You need to consider what you can exploit about your game to develop interesting marketing schemes.

I wouldn't really make a push unless you're less than a year/nine months from release and have a fair bit of shit to show off.

YESDEV[10]

>Watch $0 patreon man's video on how to advertise in order to make money

Instead of overlaying black over everything to simulate darkness, try blue.

He's actually pretty competent at getting attention

PATREON[0]

He's OK at getting it, not at doing anything meaningful with it.

That's because his marketing strategy is optimized for getting attention.
What it's not optimized for is making sales, or even getting positive attention.

(you)s aren't a marketing metric

He's been posting non stop for years on this thread and a couple of steam forum threads only, nobody outside the tiny agdg circle of regular posters knows or cares about him, and those of us who know him would never buy anything from him. Grabbing attention here in order to get sales is like trying to sell condoms to the pope.

like I said, you can more easily control the flow of the program and make sure it is not randomly accessing data

you'd also have objects that keep similar data, rather than mixed data. so eg. an object that holds all position data, an object that holds all collision data etc.

>adding a pole target to an IK either completely breaks the thing or makes it work in completely convoluted ways
>can't use IK without one because the bones will spaz out
>can't just animate manually without an IK because I need the IK later
Fuck rigging.

Sometimes when I look at a game, and it's completely obvious that they use OOP, I just go 'yuck' and write down the name of the game on a sheet of paper clearly labeled "Never Play This"

What game is obviously POO to you?

>completely obvious
teach me your ways, o wise guru, how do i tell this

the first sign is that it's full of bugs and runs like shit

I did lots of fixes and tweaks to timing, camera and animations, but now possesing/dashing is better

Why is there slowmo?

mainly to show the new animation for going from dash to regular. I have a slowmo toggle as a debug feature anyway, so I figured why not

not gonna name & shame but trust me, it's always very obvious in retrospect

you can just see it

nice mario odyssey clone

Oh, it looked out of place in the context of gameplay.

love this but something about it is giving me a slightly OOP vibe
I really want to like this. Can you go on record condemning OOP?

Looks really slick.

Thanks man, it's been a struggle to put all this together since E3, but I'm proud of the payoff

GM doesn't have real OOP. Thus I'm in no place to comment

There are only a few times it comes up in gameplay, and this kind of thing probably won't every be one of them

Added the grid I use everywhere to the title screen and made it scroll slowly, I think it's a nice touch. I'll tone down the brightness of the grid lines to make them clash less with the bounty hunter title but I kind of like the result so far.

>download some 3d models
>textures won't show up in blender
>textures show up in every viewer I try

Get rid of the reticle m8, that shits been cheesy forever.

Thanks user!

>calling something obviously emulating vapor wave "cheesy"

I like the reticle and the grid looks great. And the styling of "International" looks really period accurate too

Should I just get it over with and learn to use Unity?

The whole game is supposed to be cheesy as fuck.
Remember that movie h@ckers from the 90s where the internet was a bunch of flying mathematical equations and symbols in 3d space? I like that movie.

Learn something that seems like it does what you need instead of sitting around doing nothing saying "oh maybe this thing, or this thing, but what about this thing?" hoping for perfection.

This is why the genre will never take off because no one takes it seriously and anything is okay because "DUDE ITS IRONIC LMAO".
Fair enough, i just think its lazy and you could do better

Own engine
Pride over productivity

Godot*

>This is why the genre will never take off because no one takes it seriously and anything is okay because "DUDE ITS IRONIC LMAO".
The genre is basically reverse nightcore, what the fuck are you expecting

Nothing of worth apparently.

Whatever works as a vehicle for getting good.

yeah

I always appreciate the feedback user.

Cheers!

frogs life

You have to go into the uvwunwrap editor so that the textures get applied.

Do the fireworks seem like a bit too much to you guys? Or are they just ugly.

seems more like confettiworks tbqh

that cube bothers me more. it seems a but bland amidst all that color. like it needs something more. reflections maybe ?

looks like a bravia ad. silly

Why the fuck are you putting fireworks in a sudoku game.
Put cherry blossom flowers or something, not this gaudy shit.

starting to add different room shapes, and added code to the generator that picks out rooms based on doors/walls needed

also a neat "bug" - since the skeleton bits are based on the bomb object (since it has basic pseudophysics) they can be picked up and thrown like bombs

Boku, its pretty bad when your confetti patterns are obvious.

I can make my own models export them and reimport them and they work just fine, even if I made them in a different program. But a couple that I downloaded won't work.

The mapping coordinates are still there, they just won't show up in program until you launch the texture editor.

I have done, and it's still not working.

I'll try out reflections. I disabled them because there wasn't anything in my scene for them to reflect, but I might be able to get them to show the background now. I also considered a gradient, but I did some weird shit with the cube that keeps me from implementing it. Thanks for the feedback.

It's for the victory screen. I just enabled it on the main screen so I didn't have to solve a puzzle to see it. Also that sounds a bit weeb for this game.

Wow, Boku knows what rhombuses are too? Crazy.

Why are the fireworks rising at a linear pace
Quadratic interpolation is your friend

Which IDE do you use for C#?