Blackbox first time driver

I'm 24, passed my driving test recently (UK) and I must have a car with nice acceleration and great responsiveness and handling.

So far my path has led to seriously considering the smart roadster, the MG TF, MX5 and now the MR2.

The only affordable insurance is at around 1.2k a year WITH a blackbox...

And their TOCs are horrible, if you speed 3 times in a month then they can terminate your contract.

So i was thinking about sticking this onto a grannies car.

Thoughts?

if you get a blackbox you are part of the problem, just get a startlet or something

What's a startlet?

And how soon will I be able to afford the MR2?

>passing his driving test at 24
>TWENTY-FOUR

No wonder you guys have so little mass shootings - Yuropoors can't operate even the most simple machinery

There's a difference between passing a driving test and driving a car.

>I must have a car with nice acceleration
none of the cars you mentioned have that. i have one of them

The MR2 has 0-60s in 8 seconds

that is most definitively 'nice'

Those cars have good acceleration, considering brits usually start with 1.3 litre cars and smaller.
Out of those I'd either get the MX5 or MR2 just because they should be more reliable than the MG.

I would choose them but insurance is too high, for now.

What other car is there which is just fun and small and cheap to insure?

>8s
>nice

civic?

if you dont mind looking like an idiot ford ka's are dirt cheap to buy and insure, as well as being kinda fun to drive (slow and the suspension is a bit sloppy but still fun). the mk4 fiestas are similar, but you dont look like a twat, in exchange for more shekels to buy and insure. dont expect to keep any ford of that era for more than the length of the mot though, they rust like nothing else, ka's most of all. I had 2 and they both rotted away over the length of the mot. the guys on brit/o/ say good things about k11 micras and starlets. maybe try puntos? once you get a year on your licence and a years ncb prices will drop real quick, especially at your age. personally i would get a ka with a years mot for as cheap as possible, then scrap it when your years insurance runs out and get a mx5

Nice?

What fucking decade is this? 5s is *nice*.
4s is good, and anything in 3s is great.

Sub 3s is phenomenal.

most city people use public transport or bicycles
t.yuro ruralfag who has driven since the 8th grade but passed the test officially at 23

motor trend did it in 6.6 seconds

not shabby for 138hp

bump

If you are 24 your insurance should be pretty reasonable even if you are a first time driver - have you done the usual stuff like using comparison sites / sticking your parents on as named drivers etc?

If you end up with a black box, there is zero point in getting anything remotely interesting as these things measure a lot more than just speed. Hard turns, hard braking, hard acceleration etc will all strike against you and either drastically increase your premium or void your policy. Get something comfy to waft about in if it comes to that, but at 24 you should be able to get a reasonable quote with no black box.

mk1 mx5 under classic insurance should be under £1k

We're talking yurop standards here, where 75% of cars is some sub-2l diesel shitbox

E30

How does it judge ‘speeding’. Only if you go over like 120kmh anywhere? You could drive like a maniac off-highway and never break the maximum limit for the country, if that’s all it’s looking for.

I'm pretty sure black boxes are all bullshit. I've got one, I spent a month driving like a grandma and got a 7/10 for literally no reason because minor speedbumps at

This shit measures literally everything. Hard acceleration? Rate hike. Hard braking? Rate hike, even if it wasn't your fault because some lycrafag ran a red light. Hard cornering? That's reckless boyo, rate hike. Driving after a certain hour? Why would you do such a thing? Rate hike.

Lol. Europe is so sad

>If you are 24 your insurance should be pretty reasonable even if you are a first time driver

Not really. I passed at 23 and they were asking for £1400 for a 1.2 Clio. No black box though; that shit is a disgusting fraud.