Fog lights

People who drive with fog lights on all of the time are either ignorant or subjectively retarded. They are divided into 3 general groups:
1. Those who have no idea what the fog lights are and what they are for. These people often don't even know they are on or how to turn the off/on
2. Those who think that having fog lights on during night and/or day improve their visibility or make their car better visible to other drivers
3. Those who think that they look cool or some other nonsense

I'd like to think that there's a very special extra hot pot in hell for those who drive with fogs when it's uncalled for. What's Veeky Forums's opinion?

P.S. Apologies if this gets discussed often, I checked the catalog and didn't find a relevant thread.

>subjectively retarded
Did you mean "objectively retarded"? How can someone be subjectively retarded? Are you retarded?

Fuck you gramps thats why

Is that your GS, OP?

>That's not what they're meant for, so it's wrong!
You're a baby boomer, aren't you?

Nah, this ain't shit, the real retards, who should go to the 7th circle of hell, are those who drive around at night, when it's perfectly clear, with their rear fog lights on.

kill yourself, nigger

No, I meant subjectively, specifically, because that is my opinion and I am not competent in psychology to make the medical diagnosis.

So you're in group 3 then?

i couldn't give less of a shit about people driving with their fog lights on. people driving through well-lit areas with their high beams on, however, should impale themselves.

No, just a google image hit

Their purpose is literally in the name. Using them on a clear night is stupid and couterproductive

You're missing the real issue here. The REAL issue is people who have yellow fog lights. Those people actually need to remove themselves from the gene pool.

I don't really care much for color, though aftermarket ones are typically worse with improper beam geometry. HID or LED retrofits are the worst and an instant indication of group 3 retardation.

>ignorant or subjectively retarded
>proceed to state ignorant and fairly subjective arguments
Let's ignore the fact that you're also quite retarded, fog-lights fall in the non-blinding category so on/off for you it doesn't make a difference unlike some people who likes offsetting too much the headlights or use LEDs.
Also it does make a difference when it's pitch black as it light up the first 50 cm not covered by the main lamps.

This, I see the usual granpa that turn that shit up with just a light rain.

Though non-blinding, fog lights contribute significantly to night-time glare, especially so when the road surface is wet - It essentially doubles the residual light signature of the car decreasing the effective night vision of oncoming drivers.

>Also it does make a difference when it's pitch black as it light up the first 50 cm not covered by the main lamps.
Thanks for confirming that you have no idea how the headlights or human vision work at night.

Op on full damage control

Yellow fog lights provide better visibility than white light you bus rider.

lolwat?

I'm yet to see a single argument in this thread for using fog lights in clear conditions. Are you even old enough to drive?

I aubjectively like using them

in my old car it was impossible to see the apexes of corners at night without the foglights on. The regular beams just threw light too far away and the highs were too narrow (and shut off the fogs). Was a '13 Dart.

I live in the mountains so apex lighting is a necessity. I will burn my fogs all fucking day thank you very much.

Fair enough. Please elaborate - because of the way they look or because they help you see better?

You won't since you stated invalid ones in the first place
Did some youngster hurt your generation feelings?

>be me
>driving though DC at 3 AM stuck in traffic
>dude with compensating for something truck is blaring his fog lights behind me
>attempt to get over but literally can't see anything behind me
>eventually risk it and get over even though I might get hit
This shit is as bad as dindus that vibrate the dishes in my cabinet from 3 blocks away with their "music"

Which one of my arguments you disagree with exactly?
I have a feeling the confusion lies within 2nd group definition - let me elaborate. Properly adjusted headlights illuminate the road ahead, as well as the oncoming traffic lane and right shoulder to some degree, all the while not blinding the oncoming drivers by having a good cut-off. Fog lights are situated low on the car and cast a wide beam with a low cut-off onto the roadway ahead, just below the beam pattern of primary headlights. Their purpose is to help mitigate negative effects of fog and other adverse weather conditions where primary headlights produce too much glare from particles in the air to illuminate the area ahead of the vehicle. Having a wide spread and low mounting position, the fog lights produce significantly less glare, while illuminating the portion of the road closest to the car which helps locate striping, striping and other objects in the roadway sufficiently for slow travel in adverse conditions. I hope we can all agree to this - let me know if you have any objections.
When used during normal visibility, at normal travel speeds, however fog lights do nothing but degrade your night vision and produce glare to other drivers.
I'd like to see your counter argument to this genuinely interested

My car does not give me the choice of having my headlights on without my fog lights, op find something just a lil less inane to bitch about pls

This sounds like a shortcoming of your stock headlights rather than an argument for fog lights.
I have no problem with people using fog lights to correct improper headlight beam pattern, though the proper solution would be to fix headlights.

Problem is obviously exasperated by high-clearance vehicles like you said.

What car?

And they look cool nerd

>people who turn their long lights off only after you've blinked them twice

i have those yellow inserts and drive with them on all the time, i think they look cool

I have a suspicion is that another contributing factor to (3) may be that fog lights are a premium "feature" when shopping low-med price cars and people want to show them off

you missed a 4th.

the fucking fucktards who think fogs can be used as DRLs and as dipped lights,

>basement dwellers complaining about two small lights pointed towards the ground hurting their mole eyes

>I hate when people make their own decisions regarding their own property
Ruining America.

I like to use them at dusk, but with the headlights off. I have some fairly dim fogs though.

I agree

That's a subset of group 2 I think but good point

>i have those yellow inserts and drive with them on all the time, i think they look cool
I already defined those who do that under group 3 of my original post

Wrong. I spend 3-4 hours behind the wheel daily, most of it in the dark, and it does diminish your night vision when oncoming cars have fog lights on

By your logic, people running high beams at night is nobody's business also, amirite?

what are you even talking about, nearly all cars have fog lights.

yeah and i think its fine because my car doesn't have blinding leds

I use them because they look cool as fuck. Deal with it, cuck

What about 4. They drive a BMW Maxi and the foglights are always on and can't be disabled without a hammer?

>How can someone be subjectively retarded?
You seem to manage.

>wrong because anecdote
Here's another anecdote for you. I drive 100 miles a day and half of that is at night and I have never once been unable to see or focus because of someone's fog lights. I think your eyes sight may be shit. Crap LEDs, poorly aligned headlights, and trucks lifted so that their headlights are right at eye level actually cause issues in seeing.

Fog lights give you a wider field of view of luminance compared to normal headlights at otherwise a lower incline of angle. If you can't handle lights below the bumper of the car not shining directly to your face these days than you should probably stop driving.

>Bus rider

>blind in one eye

That means you need stronger lights

Op is really fucking autistic to be blogging this hard about his annoyance at other people using fog lights

If the pavement is wet at night, I turn them on. If the woods are pretty close to the road and I'm not using high beams, I probably would have them on.

I cant turn them off on my car. They come on when the lights come on.

How difficult would it be to mount fog lights on my car (to use them properly) if I never worked on a car before?

Here its a statussymbol because front foglights are an option so fucking retards with their shithole cars try to show off with it

>turning on more lights is counterproductive
Ok

3. Reporting !!
I always drive with fog lights on. I even turned my wife’s sienna fog lights on. She don’t even know what they are. Fight me