Why are the laws against motorized bikes written by the Auto Industry?

Why are the laws against motorized bikes written by the Auto Industry?

>must be 50cc or below in most populated cities/states
>must go through bullshit registration process, basically a bribe
>must go slower than I can pedal on an actual bicycle
>cops can fine me $500 and confiscate my bike for fun

Like seriously, I don't want to own a car because of all the registration and inspection and parking bullshit that comes with living in city.

Just let me ride my bike in peace

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/25/new-york-citys-electric-bike-delivery-workers-face-crackdown
swov.nl/en/facts-figures/factsheet/motorcyclists
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck corporate greed

I don't know what you're fucking on about. In many US states 50cc two wheeled vehicles are exempt from registration or licensing. In Europe they're equal to scooters, the license is cheap and easy to obtain even for 15 year olds, and you can register and insure them for like 70 bucks a year and need no inspection.

If you hate all the regulationism surrounding motor vehicles, live in a city and aren't a cripple then ride a fucking bicycle you whiny dipshit cunt.

for real, like I can ride NYC to Boston in 5-6 hours on one of these things, on side roads, but it all would be "technically illegal"

sure you probably won't get pulled over, but plenty of people on youtube have posted videos of cops telling them "IT'S ILLEGAL" without checking cc's or licenses or any of the details.

NYC has even banned electric bikes for "being dangerous", because I apparently can kill people with a 10lb bicycle, but a rented u-haul truck is totally safe

>ride a fucking bicycle

>in many US states, 50cc two wheeled vehicles are exempt from registration
Yeah, but not all of us live in Alabama bro. Furthermore, local cities have their own restrictions on top of state ones.

And regardless of that, if a cop wants to be a dick, he can be a dick and nobody will be there to advocate for you.

>whiny dipshit
How much of a cuck are you that you don't want to ride a baller ass DIY motorized bike getting 80mpg?

So what exactly is stopping you from registering it like a scooter?

>you

> Tiny tires
> No safety features
> No lights
> Ineffective brakes
What is it with you americans and trying to get around the systems that are there to protect you, even if it means having a far worse solution and possibly killing yourself into the bargain?

>nannystater

Muh freedoms. If i want a Jacuzzi in my truck i damn will have a fucking jacuzzi in my truck and im sick of people saying no because its dangerous

>but a rented u-haul truck is totally safe
yes it is. it meets the regulations set for vehicles using public roads.

NYC banned electric bikes for delivery occupations because bike messengers are already riding like suicidal maniacs. U-Haul trucks generally don't jump sidewalks, swerve through opposing traffic or run red lights at full speed.

>banned for delivery occupations
banned for everyone and they've confiscated thousands of bikes

>uhaul trucks generally dont [do everything you said]
pic related

>systems that are there to protect you
nibba, puch maxis are legal in europe, they're illegal in the USA basically

>paying money to register a bike as a motorcycle
yeah sorry no I'm not paying hundreds of dollars in fees and insurance to register a bicycle, which the government won't even allow to be registered because it's not an (((official model)))

>banned for everyone and they've confiscated thousands of bikes
[citation needed]

Also
>one incident

theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/25/new-york-citys-electric-bike-delivery-workers-face-crackdown

Police enforcement against the bicycles has already been on the upswing, with almost 1,000 of them confiscated by police in

cuck my life into pieces
this is my last retort

>delivery workers
>delivery workers
>delivery workers
>delivery workers
>delivery workers

Never been hassled about mine, and if you want more than 50/66cc on a bicycle you're either suicidal or have the best bicycle ever. Those things sound and feel like impending doom at 30mph, anything more is madness

They're toys my dude. Play with it, order the performance parts and try your hand at porting it with a dremel for extra power but these are toys.

>like I can ride NYC to Boston in 5-6 hours on one of these things, on side roads

No, you can't, clearly you've never built one because it'll shake itself to death long before that.

$20 reg a year
$25 insurance a month
Turns and accelerates as well as a ford GT
Brakes as well as a honda civic
Is my summer DD
Cost me $3500 to buy it with 7,000 original miles on the clock and only mild unrepaired crash damage
Straight frame, straight forks, swingarm in line, chain and sprockets near new, round wheels, no rust, never any rust because the whole damn thing is aluminum so I can ride it over salt flats and park it in the rain without giving a fuck.

In five years of owning one I have only had one component need replacing, and it was a brake caliper bolt with surface rust that's supposed to be replaced every time you remove it anyways.

Get fucked

i'll video the whole damn thing next time

no worries mate, I don't want above 50cc, but basically in NYC and NY in general, anything with a motor on it is illegal if it isn't (((registered and insured))), which makes sense for a car. but not for a bike. They won't even let me register a bike at the DMV and I'm tired of cops taking me for my money lol

I respect that you feel they're toys but man this really could be a sensible future for transportation where you don't have to pay $1,500 for overpriced crappy e-bikes

you're telling me to get fucked, but i'm literally on your side you fucking mong

also try:
>$0 registration
>$0 insurance
>$300 all in purchase price

don't be such a reactionary idiot

Maybe it's to keep you from killing yourself or running over pedestrians on a haphazard collection of steel tubes with a lawnmower engine bolted on.

You get what you pay for. In this case, you get a deathtrap with physical limits that make it less suited to use in crowded public areas than a horse and buggy. There is a reason you are not allowed to take something like that off private property if it's not secured in a trailer or being walked along for use on more private property.

>which makes sense for a car. but not for a bike
Of course it makes sense on a bike, too. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it makes no sense.

And 50cc two strokes are NOT the future of transportation, as is visible from the air quality and life quality in any third world city that relies on 50cc two strokes.

Electric kit instead of Chinese thumper. Same concept, 300 buckaroonies more, infinitely more reliable.

>running over pedestrians
bro, i drive in the street, and the only people maiming pedestrians are people in cars

>dont use this bike on public roads
how cucked are you mate? do you know how many people die in cars?

link pls?

you're worried about air quality problems from a two stroke engine, but not all of the other sources of environmental polution?

A pedestrian crosses the street because they don't see your piece of shit. It wasn't subject to FMVSS, so it doesn't have DOT approved lighting.

If you swerve, you slide and hit them anyways, because you have skinny bicycle tires with as much grip as wood.
If you brake....oh, what brakes?

Get a motorcycle. Bicycles are not suited to going fast.

A two stroke emits straight up toxic gas compared to a modern four stroke equipped with emissions equipment

And it emits it in your front lawn instead of in the middle of the open ocean, so you get to breathe concentrated smog.

I'm worried about all sources of air pollution, but add two stroke bikes to it won't help.

>cletus cut the cat out of his f150
>therfore, i should be allowed to fart out unburned gasoline and oil smoke as i go to the corner store

>he lives in a yokel state where people can cut their cats out

>can

It's a federal crime to tamper with emissions equipment actually. A lack of mandated tests doesn't stop cops from smelling/hearing your exhaust and thinking something's up.

are you literally retarded? have you ever tried to brake on a normal mountain bike going 25mph? it's completely fine and normal, and thats the max speed of my bike

>get a motorcycle
"cuck yourself and pay the government"

>"the amount of smog from a 50cc two stroke is literally cancer, but let's ignore the emissions and greenhouse gases from all other forms of industrial production and transportation"

>there are other sources of emissions therefore it's perfectly fine to introduce even more of them

>mountain bike brakes
They're shit. The tires are shit. The whole vehicle is shit and not meant for the level of use seen on public roads.
>hurr i don't want to be KEKED
Alright, you little alt right wannabe nazi-libertarian faggot, if you disagree with the government, you're going to have to contend with all these armed men who are loyal to the government, and also the armed populace that agrees with the government's dim view of your poison spewing deathtrap down to the letter.

lmao I bet you dream about running cyclists over in your spare time

>major sources of pollution already exist, therefore theyre fine
>but minor sources of pollution should not be introduced

2 strokes came before everything else btw cuck

No, major sources of pollution already exist so more major sources of local air quality problems definitely shouldn't be introduced.

>major sources of pollution already exist, therefore theyre fine
Nobody's saying that, you fucking idiot. Getting rid of existing pollution is simply a bit trickier than creating new pollution.

Why do American cops look like such complete assholes all the time?

Because they have to deal with dumb niggers who think it's okay to ride a bicycle with a two stroke in the middle of the road

>WTF MAN
>IM NOT A GOVERNMENT CUUUUUUUUCK MAAAAAN
>THIS IS LIKE AGAINST THE NAP MAN
>AM I BEING LIKE DETAINED MAN
>ITS MY RIGHT TO SMOKE WEED BTW

should we ban lawn mowers too? they're the exact same type of engine

you know, since we're being logical and all

Hard to stay friendly upholding the law in a country where all the civilians are egomanical assholes.

because they're paid 60-100k per year, with strong benefits, and all they have to do for a living is make their boss richer through extorting the populace

I see no reason not to demand push mowers to be electric and riding mowers to be four strokes at least.

lol as a Canadian I find this hilarious

cops barely ever hassle us for anything here, and if they do it's usually something blatant like shooting a rifle out of our truck window on the side of the road because a prime moose appeared and we just had to take that beauty down

also weed is for faggots, but if you legalized and taxed it you wouldn't have half the problems you currently do

We did that in a few states and we still have problems, mostly with stoners being faggots.

Yes, actually.

stoners are faggots for sure, but at least you wouldn't have to waste police time and resources on arresting, charging, and then housing these faggots in prisons

just let them get high, and if they start shit or do anything else that is illegal - you still get to throw the book at them

honestly, 90% of weedheads are harmless and do it in their own homes, it's a fraction of them that are in the streets smoking it and waving giant pot leaf flags - those ones can be beaten to death for all i care

plus all the niggers you guys have, that must be tough

by your logic they should be happy, that sounds like a choice job

What city? Here they're effectively just bicycles.

>select all bicycles

Check out Bikeberry.com

You do know there are upgraded brake kits available specifically for building these things

Op, you're a literal asshat. Everyone pays a road tax. If you want to be the bitch weaving in and out of traffic on your homebuilt piece of shit, then go ahead. But I'm paying for the road to be there, so you should too.

Grow up and get a car

>car
>in the city

Retard detected

Practical reason is it's not at all widespread enough to have proper, well thought out regulations.

This if you actually want something useful

2 smoke kits are really more of a hobby. If you like the idea of trying everything you can think of to squeeze as much power as you can put of a motor that costs dick all to replace or rebuild if you fuck it they're kinda neat. Be liberal with the loctite though

Then just walk you fucking soyboy
Sell your childrens toy and stop getting angry at the truth

Bicyclists generally can go fuck themselves. They get all pissy and demand to have as much right to the road as you do but then never signal, ride between lanes, switch onto sidewalks when it's convenient, and blow through every stop sign.

cuckkkkkkkkkk

Because you are turning it into a motorcycle and guess what, motorcycles have to follow rules too.
fuck i hate cyclists with their superiority complex and their "i don't have to pay registration and insurance bullshit"

>tfw in my county and state bicyclists not yielding to faster traffic on county roads and are considered dangerous and accidents involving them are their fault unless they can prove they were yielding (which a dead man cannot do)

fucking LOL

Why not just go all the way and get a cheapo 250cc motorcycle or a small moped if you're going to put a motor on a bicycle?

No one pays road tax.

>fuck i hate cyclists with their superiority complex and their "i don't have to pay registration and insurance bullshit"
That's a bit of a nonsequitur

I'm both a driver and a cyclist and I agree with some of the behavior. As a cyclist you're higher up, your view is completely unobscured, and in general there's simply no need not to treat stop signs as yield signs if you can already see it's clear. Cars only get stop signs because their view is obscured by pillars and the like, and because they constantly have to peel out behind visual obstacles.

If only they could be more like us civilised motorists and kill hundreds of thousands of people per year instead.

>the black and mexican cop having a good laugh in the backround
almost brings a sitcom laughtrack to my heart

There's a bike path near my work that has "bicycle sized" stop signs and yet those are routinely ignored. Furthermore, based on miles driven per year trains proportionately kill more people, but most drivers (key word most) are smart enough not to fuck around with trains and their right of way.

Motorized bikes are dangerous. In the Netherlands, they are the most dangerous form of transport.

Source:

>swov.nl/en/facts-figures/factsheet/motorcyclists
>What is the risk for motorcyclists in the Netherlands.

Admitted, mopeds are ridden on cycling path alongside bicycles and most don't wear a helmet.

-----------------

Get a proper motorcycle if you want to commute on two wheels. Doesn't need to be outrageously powerful. 125cc to 250cc is more than ideal if you are not a fatfuck and you are not going on highways.

That's a regulatory problem though. In Germany you need a license, plates and helmet for a scooter and need to ride it on the road. No clue what the hell is going through your heads if you permit scooters on bike paths.

I'm Dutch and I can tell you, mate, electric bicycles are much more dangerous than you think.

Fucking retards go at 25 to 40 mph on those things, very close to pedestrians and with no regards to anyone's safety.

It is dangerous either way. A moped does not belong on the road. It is not capable of accelerating quickly enough when needed and it sits way too long on the ground. If you want to share the road with cars, get a motorcycle that can manage the roads properly.

The idea about mopeds is for fat fucks to ride them on cycling paths at 16mph, the average speed of the average cycling speed. At those speeds it is not dangerous. The thing is, when you can just squeeze the throttle, you will be tempted to go faster.

>If you want to share the road with cars, get a motorcycle that can manage the roads properly.
Meme opinion, mopeds still have a better power to weight ratio than most cars. Also in Germany we have a 25 kph class of mopeds that get treated like biycles, and a 45 kph of mopeds that get treated like scooters.

>NYC has even banned electric bikes for "being dangerous", because I apparently can kill people with a 10lb bicycle, but a rented u-haul truck is totally safe
You can kill someone by hitting them with a bicycle, there was a big news story in the UK last year after a cyclist on a brakeless fixie bike killed a pedestrian then acted like such a massive, entitled cunt that they brought back a 19th century law just to put him in prison.