No helmet? Start here:
crash.org.au/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first or second or third for check you chain slack

*inhales*

The GS500 is objectively the best beginner bike.
> mileage
It's a mid-sized 4stroke twin cylinder bike, so it drinks less than 6 liters per 100 km.
> handling
It handles nothing like a supersport, spoiling you for when you get something else. But it can also corner much better than something like a cruiser, and actually uses its entire rear tire unlike a Ninja 250.
> brakes
They are complete shit and their only redeeming feature is that they're disc brakes. This is good because the longer braking distance forces new riders to plan ahead and start braking early. No ABS means they learn to brake properly I'd they don't want to get shrekt.
> power
It sits right at the power limit for A2 bikes which is great for euros. It's torquey enough to be faster off the line than most cars you'll encounter in the city. But it also feels relatively gutless so a) it's forgiving of mistakes and b) you can ride it at the limit without putting yourself into too much danger. It reaches up to 180 km/h which is fast enough for highway riding.
> carbs
It being carbed means that if you run into problems, you can learn to fix them yourself instead of heading to the mechanic every time.
> seating position
Upright, slightly forward means it's a neutral riding position so you can figure out what you want afterwards. The seat is relatively uncomfortable making literally every other bike after it will feel like heaven on your ass.
> price and availability
Parts and the bikes themselves are cheap and plentiful. If you crash and fuck up one of your fairings it's 40 euros to replace it with original parts. Engine needs little maintenance. Beginner riders are typically not financially independent, so this is a big plus for them.
> suspension
It's a budget suspension factoring into the overall low cost of getting a GS 500. If you want better suspension it's easy to swap. Therefore it gives beginners an opportunity to learn working on suspension while keeping the cost manageable.

karl bloppelpopp

fuck off

>check you chain slack
Thanks for reminding me! I seem to have lost it already though.

>Air Cooled
No thanks, gramps.

I recently decided I finally want to get my bike license, and instead of buying a more luxurious car, stick with a cheaper, and get a bike as secondary vehicle.
I'm 28 and 190cm(6'2) tall, average fitness, Eurofag.

Is a Yamaha XV950 a good choice?
I absolutely love the design, and it seems like a great bike for short commute to work (6km/3.7miles) and the occasional round trip.

Any resources to read besides the ones linked above?
It may seem early to think about, but I wanna be as informed as possible before making choices.

Twist of the wrist

since you're a eurofag, I'm assuming lanesplitting is legal

With that said, you might want to look further into standard motorcycles. They'll generally save you a bit more fuel than a cruiser, better ergos for taller people, and they're usually a bit more narrow which'll lend itself to getting your commute through quicker.

XV950 is a decent bike though. You won't really have any issues if that's what you have your heart set on. Treat it like cars, don't buy without a test ride.

>since you're a eurofag, I'm assuming lanesplitting is legal

>checked it last week
>40-45mm
woops

I'll have a look, thanks.
Alright, I will keep that in mind, and have a look at other motorcycles, thanks.

I mean lanesplitting is as legal as you're willing to make it but telling a newfag to get a fast bike and run from cops seems like a setup for failure.

Here's your (You).

Who wants to see cummies? I require payment in (You)s in advance.

forgot to check mine for a while and it had so much slack, it occasionally hit the swing arm
CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

>no bike
>gonna get a bike as soon as i get my drivers license
>loosing sleep for over a week thinking about the driving exam
>still 3 days left
I CANT DEAL WITH THIS SHIT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>been riding for like 5 months
>acknowledge I'm on mount stupid
>still try to wheelie any time I'm going from a stop
>do other shit like turn sharp enough that peg scrapes the ground

How many weeks until I die?

1. buy a helmet
2. buy motorcycle
3. exam
4. ????
5. PROFIT!!!

>1. buy a helmet
>2. buy motorcycle
>3. exam
>4. ????
>5. PROFIT!!!

>buying a motorcycle before the exam
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

r8 my gear please

fag/10

Are sport tourers exclusively grandpa bikes? I've never seen anyone younger than like 50 on one unless they're actually using it for its intended touring purposes, which seems fairly rare.

No, but they tend to be more expensive than sport and nakeds. With only giving more comfort as an extra, which younger people usually care less for.

Just like full size ADV bikes.

If you're not putting up big mileage regularly theg don't make ideal daily bikes just due to weight in traffic.

the biggest difference i've noticed is the way it responds to throttle input. it's amazing how you don't notice a gradual decline, but when you tighten it back up it's completely different.

Air cooked are nice :)

So what happens to an air cooled V-Twin engine in heavy traffic on a 90 to 100 degree Summer day?
Will it seize, lose years off of it's overall lifetime, or will it just lose power?

it can seize

It will burn your legs

I've been in over 100°f stop n go for a bit. No issues for me.
Thighs get a lil warm though

Just don't dump much fuel

wow rude

After a bonechiller of a winter, I finally finished my bike! Now onto the sideviews, the ugly turnsignals back to OEM, and a new seat.

Anyone ever send a seat back to corbin? How expensive is it usually? I got two seats that are a bit rough. One has some loose stitching, and the other has a big ol hole in the leather.

>be unlucky
>get caught and rapped by hue governament
>lose drivers license process
>have to wait 1 more year and do it all again
nah, i will wait those 3 days, in the meantime
>AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

new rider here, what does /dbt/ put on their feet?

you honestly look like a tryhard piece of shit.

:(

>finally grow a pair and start lane splitting
>commute is noticeably shorter
I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a cage

socks

Sometimes the toenail clippers

I ride wearing sandals.

I usually wear speedcross 3 gtx shoes or redwing iron rangers

desu senpai the white armor looks gay af, get a normie riders jacket or wear that shit underneath. it doesn’t even match your baiku

>The GS500 is objectively the best beginner bike.
no ABS.

braking hard with ABS is better than "brake properly" without ABS

GODDAMMIT I HATE THE SNOW SO FUCKING MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I WANT TO RIDE!!!!!!!!

No

Perfect weather here but haven't left my house in 5 days.

Why are motorcycle soy bois so scared of less than ideal weather?

あ~~~つ!
凄い~~~~!

I know you're baiting, but it's just the snow and ice that I hate.
You just physically cannot ride in winter conditions because you'll either kill yourself on the slippery ice or the sheer cold numbs your hands and body to the point where you can't safely operate the bike.
I'll ride through sheets of rain, windstorms, sweltering heat, thunderstorms, and everything else but snow & ice.

Studded tires and corner wide

this
I commute on my bike all year but I have to stop when the streets turn white
I still ride when the snows melts but as soon as it snows I have to stop

it's less about me, it's more about my bike
I already dropped it once this winter because I was in the city and was surprised by a good snowing on my way home, that's when I literally lost control and slid across the street and dropped all my spaghetties
it's just the way it is on a sportbike
there are no studded tires for my bike I can put on without checking back with the TÜV (and that costs mad shekels)

The cold air and wind, my man. I'm talking subzero wind chill.
Even with wind protector hand guards, warm gear, and a tall windscreen, the cold still puts you down and obstructs your vision (frost on visor).

GO RIDE YOU WEAK PUSSY SHIT!

>You just physically cannot ride in winter conditions because you'll either kill yourself on the slippery ice or the sheer cold numbs your hands and body to the point where you can't safely operate the bike.
I have never experienced any of that.
I have some more off-road oriented tyres, hand guards, big wind-screen and heated grips. No problems riding with -10°C and heavy wind, snow etc.

I agree, black ice is a killer.

>there are people here that CLAIM to ride in shit weather and ultra cold or snow.
>the same people complain that dirt is too hard
>the same people complain about kick start only bikes
>the same people complain about carbs
Kek

>implying that /dbt/ is one person

I CAN'T!!! THERE'S ICE!!!!!

Just saying. Everyone has a line.
People need to get their panties out of their ass and realize not everyone has the same tolerance

I think it's just you and me, senpai

Korean delivery men ride in these conditions and with half helmets.

>getting paid to ride
I would too

>Japanese bike
>Chinese sword
>Korean helmet
10/10 would rate again

I'm genuinely starting to believe that there's like less than 15 people here that actually own and ride motorcycles.

Helmet model?

I'll ride in snow, but not ice. If it's just snow, roads aren't usually too bad. It's when it's cold enough for snow in the morning and warm enough in the day to melt it when the roads get terrible, because then it just freezes back into solid fucking ice all over the road. That's when I start hitching rides from people.

How do I know if I like motorcycles?

I never used one (just as a passenger, years ago), but I like the aesthetics and the transportation possibilities.

Just go ride

In my country the most expensive Harley ("Something-something donkey Glide " is usually the name) costs around 30 % more than a Fireblade SP2 or a R1m. Same price league as those rare "limited" edition Ducatis or similar.

Pray tell me, why?? With a R1m or Fireblade you get extreme high tech that will seriously help you go around a track much faster than otherwise. There's been alot of R&D monies sunk into achieving this.
With the harley you have lush paintjob and heated grips/seat, where does the rest of the money go?

Scooter riders are absolutely mad and dripping with testosterone.

>where does the rest of the money go?
Diabeetus treatment and salad bowl R&D I imagine

Enjoy being raped by cops.

Pig iron, high calorie diet manuals and free assless leather chaps my friend.

The brand name.

Harley sits in the same sort of pocket that designer goods companies like Michael Kors and Coach sit in. They are considered "high end" retail, but their manufacturing processes and quality is still considered low end. You are paying for nothing but the logo when you buy goods in that tier. Harley even morseo, because their primary market consists of people who are starting to die of old age and heart failure, so they raise prices in order to compensate for lower unit sales numbers.

Granted, virtually all motorcycles of all brands are seeing a decline in sales, but Harley basically makes one kind of motorcycle with little to no market diversification, so they're suffering quite a bit more than most. They are still the top dogs as far as market share goes, but for such a massive company, they only made like 8 million in profits last year. They're hurting.

I'd argue about 17 people here that ride motorcycles.

I have some old non-steel toe work boots that are broken in and fit really well so I just use those. Wouldn't recommend crappy work boots from wal-mart though.

Lol wut

The combined number of people that went to sam and sem is like already 15. The only people who say dbt is full of nobikes are just projecting

Not saying Harley's the only cruiser, but some people don't care for sport bikes. I know I don't.

A Blade, high tech? As a blade rider I wish that were the case but in fact they are the leach high tech litre bike on the market. Literally nothing had changed on the blade from 08-17' and on the 17' the motor is practically identical except they increased the compression a tiny amount and added electronics that they failed at implementing like the fly-by-wire throttle that was malfunctioning and wouldn't shut off. Let alone the HRC software for them literally looks like something made for windows '98.

>You magically get a motorcycle (a friend, e.g.)
>Start riding
>5 minutes later cops stop you
>500€ to up-to 6 months of jail
>profit

No one cares about sports bikes and cruisers. It's all about ADV.

Depending on the country/state/county/etc. If you have a fully licenced rider behind you it's legal.

The SP2 has the electronic suspension and all those doo-dads the top end liter bikes have. I don't think the electronics suite is as advanced though, haven't heard much in the terms of slide control and whatnot from the blades.

Not telling the guy to just buy a bike and ride without a license.
Are you autistic?
Just saying he can try riding a motorcycle and see if he likes it.
Fuck off retard

What bike?

I'd like to believe its purely the name, as that would be a convenient explanation. But I am struggling to believe that anyone can seriously pay THAT much extra for just the name. Dont get me wrong, I fully acknowledge the power of branding, but that big of a different, I'm struggling to see the sense of it.

Oh no, dont get me wrong.... I am not trying to bash on cruisers or anything. Hey I am seriously considering buying a small cruiser for around town scootering. I am just struggling to find the reason for paying 20-30% more for a Sportster 883 compared to a Yamaha Bolt.

It may not be "high-tech" as opposed to what is considered high-tech in cars, it is still higher tech than your generic MT-07.
I know its quite possible to make even more high-tech bikes, but that not what I am discussing.

good question actually. If you don't know anyone who will let you try his bike on private grounds (v. unlikely) then you just have to buy one and try.
I did this 12 years ago and barely used it for the first year, I only "got it" when I started getting out of the city and hit the countryside twisties.

True the SP2 is bit of an upgrade but it's literally one of the most expensive liter bikes on the planet and still has basically the same 08' terrible horsepower under 160hp at the wheel. Not to mention that almost every company now has that same electronic suspension, it's not even the manufacturers that are responsible it's all Ohlins development and the manufacturers put it on. The electronic suspension is thrown out when racing anyway so it's not any amazing invention, just a cool gimmick.
The traction control on them it's horrific to setup pic related; You have to setup a fuel injection and a ignition map with for each point with throttle position and rpm along with a low and high mode and to boot you get zero help from Honda or manuals on how to setup it up basically... plus just look at it.

>, it's not even the manufacturers that are responsible it's all Ohlins development and the manufacturers put it on.
Thats hardly any different in the car industry, to be fair...

Are you the Canadian racer? Which is the best liter atm?

Shit weather for another month