What is Veeky Forumss oppinion on chiptuning?

what is Veeky Forumss oppinion on chiptuning?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=idtqpYa1OC4
autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112726
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shitty music

If you mean a tune, hell yeah.
But only from reputable tuners.
For most turbo engines you get the most bang for your buck.

even on high mileage? (140k miles+)

How come some diesel cars can be chip tuned for more power and better fuel economy at the same time? I thought these were mutually exclusive.

trade-off is reliability and loss of warranty

Worse emissions, see VW's diesel scandal

Trade off is increased emissions.
Advancing the injection timing increases thermal efficiency (more power for less fuel) but sends NOx emissions through the roof.

good driving music
youtube.com/watch?v=idtqpYa1OC4

Take that back.

modifying fuel maps and timing can drastically affect longevity as well

Not really too sure about that. Maybe if you'r close to cylinder pressure limits.

what the fuck does high mileage have to do with anything

Engines wear. Injector, fuel pumps, turbos, rings, valves etc all wear.
Pushing up the power on a worn engine may not be a great idea. But high mileage doesn't mean worn out, health checks can tell you if your engine is good for more power.

how does one do a health check?

tunes are only good for NA engines. don't fuck with that shit on turbo cars.

Compression and leak down tests
Blowby measurement
Emissions measurement

Chips are just resistors that trick the ECU into thinking the car is running cold and makes the engine run rich. Its a gimmick. Dont bother.

Just get a car that has the amount of power you want in the first place

autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112726

I think OP is referring to the modern kind of chip tuning that you see with fords and shit. the fiesta st can get 14% more power under factory warranty with a tune™

yeah im talking about chips like those dte ones that do a little more than a resistor. thing is im thinking about waiting if my cars goes through inspections and then bumping the 136hp up to 160hp with a 400€ chip the legal way

You need to remember that with these chip boxes, you are just tricking your ecu into thinking it gets value b, when in reality the value was a. Like, for example on a turbo car, it tells the ecu a boost pressure of 10 psi when target is 12 bar.
So the engine tries to meet the target and closes the wastegate to achieve that 12bar when in reality the engine is pushing around 14 psi.
With a flash tune, the engine nows exactly what it is doing because it gets real values vut interprets them differently.
Just my 2c...

This, so many turbo cars are emissions cucked from the factory and you can get a fuck ton of power by removing those artificial restrictions

It’s almost necessary for 80s-90s cars using the factory ecu

my local shop uses hp tuners and a dyno

never tried those mail order tunes

Right, but it’s incredibly important when you modify anything that increases the amount of air flowing through the engine. You’ll have to adjust your injector pulses, timing curves, and anything else so your new mods don’t detonate your engine