So what saves more gas?

So what saves more gas?
1. turbo.
2. hybrid.
3. small cylinder.

For city driving, objectively:
>Hybrid

But they are all retarded, 3rd point the most, for example:
My father's car has 10 mpg in the city on a good day with a 3.2 liter engine, his friend drives a 5.0 liter version of the same car and gets absolutely the same mileage.

OP here, didn't explain i drive 100 km on highway three times a week. Also 3.2 isn't small cilinder, i was thinking 1 or 1.3, even 1.6

Turbos are the opposite of saving gas

Pretty sure he meant in comparison to a 6 cylinder engine vs a 4 cyl with a turbo

A big glorious V8.

>4. Lean Supercharger

Hybrids are awesome.

A CNG hybrid

>So what saves more gas?
>1. turbo.
Doesn´t save fuel at all, just increases the power of a engine, wich lets you get away with a smaller, more efficient engine that has some more power.
>2. hybrid.
Depends on hybrid drive train, non plug-in hybrids are only more efficient than conventional cars in city driving.
Plug-in serial hybrids are pretty much always more efficient.
>3. small cylinder.
Actualy larger and less cylinders tend to be more efficient due to less surface area and less friction.

That is actualy way more than just a lean burning forced induction engine, mazda went crazy with the combustion, just like Smokey Yunick did.
Instead of leaning out to the edge of knocking, they went way further and use high compression AND forced induction to make a ultra lean mixture combust.
Mazda uses up to 34,7:1 A/F ratio, smokey went even further with preheated intake air.

>tfw no 51+ mpg corvette killer Fiero

>with preheated intake air
I think that's why mazda mounted the supercharger along the block, to soak up heat (and oil line packaging)

This, everyone says V8's are shit on fuel but that's cause they put them in a 3 ton car and drive them hard. If you've got a lightweight car with a V8 and drive in a tame manner you'll still get good mileage with power when you want it

No, that is not even close the the stuff smokey has done...

that pic is with the engine in V4 mode
why would you want deoxygenated air? transferring the heat to fresh intake air is better for combustion I'd think

Downsized turbo engines save gas. They reduce pumping losses at part throttle. The problem is when you get on boost you need to run water injection to avoid melting the engine while retaining high fuel efficiency. Most OEMs just use high boost enrichment instead which kills fuel efficiency.

Smokey ran 400-440°F intake air temperature and about 2600°F exaust gas temperature.
As far as I am aware this is for a heat exchanger to use the otherwise wasted exaust heat to increase charge air temperature.

>As far as I am aware this is for a heat exchanger to use the otherwise wasted exaust heat to increase charge air temperature.
then just use an intercooler that dumps exhaust heat into the path of intake air

>intercooler that dumps exhaust heat into the path of intake air
The problem is that your throttle body hates that high temperatures and a heat exchanger behind the turbine is more efficient and stresses the compressor wheel less.
Also: a intercooler is basicly a heat exchanger, it transfers heat from intake air to the air flowing through it.
In this case the heat is tranfered from the exaust gas to the intake air.

1.5 4 cyl, for me, gets 7.3L/100km combined

1.0L 3-cylinder here: I got 3,5L/100km combined on 10% ethanol

>tfw no 3cyl turbodiesel hybrid

Weight

thanksmy countrey hasn't released the gas in L/100 km i¡this year in the new suzuki booster jet

That was in actual driving, 1000 km with a 35L tank on winter tires...

chad pedal power

This!
>tfw can sprit 60 km/h
>tfw average 30 km/h over 100 km

fuck, how did you manage this?

A motorbicicle

Fuck I use more washer fluid than that during winter. Then again my push mower is 1/4 the displacement. Ugh.

I drove efficiently, used brakes as rare as possible, kept the rpm in the most efficient range most of the time (redlined a few times anyway), kept speeds low on highways and my tires properly inflated.
I could have done a bit more if I actualy tried harder...

I you want to do that, here are a few tricks I used:
>use engine in most efficient rpm to accellerate (look up BSFC chart)
>use engine in most efficient intake pressure to accellerate
>drive most efficient speed of your car on highways
>don´t use your brakes over 30 km/h, get off the throttle early instead
>take turns at full speed whenever safe to do so
>inflate tires a bit higher than recomended

Mazda Skyactiv X turbo engine

well props to you but that is way more than im willing to do. ill just pay the little extra in gas lul

The least efficient part of driving is accelerating.
The added low-end torque the turbo adds lets you get up-to-speed quicker.

I didn´t do all of that in these 1000 km, I even went 170 km/h 3 times...

for long commutes a smaller na motor will be the most efficient and reliable.. for around tow, hybrid is best , series hybrid in particular.
A motorcycle is also a good option though. a Honda 750 gets about 80 mpg and will do highway speed just fine.

>Analogue Speedo and digital tach
That's the wrong way around for fucks sake

Depends on how it's optimised.

Why doesn't it just have both or neither. Good lord it's hideous.

V8 with cylinder deactivation. My fucking 6k lbs SUV gets 36 MPG with it

The best combination is digital Speedo and analogue tach.

I think you my analog speedo and analog tach

Is that the new Suzuki Swift?
Are they any good? I'm considering getting a used one in a couple of years as a runaround for me and my wife since my both of our other cars are landbarges

Diesel

OP here. Suzuki swift will be aviable in 1.0 turbo jet, and the sport version in 1.4 turbo, that's why i''m wondering what engine to get. the three kinds are avaible in my country.Also some hybrids are avaible from toyota, ford and honda

>no mention of cars weight, the most important metric when it comes to car next to driver ability
another busrider normiefag thread.

1.8l 4cylinder midengined sports car.
Used every week for hooning, 1-3 times a month for time attack
7.6l/100km

I wouldn't be surprised if some autist put his car on blocks to make this

U being a pussy...that saves plenty of gas for us alphas

>170 in a 1.3 3 cyl

holy fuck, I cant even go higher than 140 without my car wobbling and im the guy with the 1.5 4 cyl

He probably was going down hill. Though 28-30mpg isn't unheard-of on LS corvettes

I like threads like this. Not so much the saving gas but the knowledge part

The Hybrid if strictly speaking in the city.

The turbo theoretically would be the best. When not in boost you have the gas savings of a small cylinder car, then when you need power the turbo is there. Turbos basically harness otherwise wasted energy making it more efficient. However if not driven perfect, the turbo will cost you fuel.

The small cylinder route is good in the city, but might actually be too anemic on the highway. You might end up floored all the time and wind up losing fuel economy.

ive done 140kmh in pic related with a 660cc engine, sketchy but it can do it

small engine saves the most gas, in 2WD i can get about 35-40mpg in the city and 40-50mpg on the highway. winter when the carbs cold and i use 4x4 it goes down to maybe 25-30mpg but thats still above most vehicles

indeed user shares a lot of knowledge

>tfw no 0.9 3cyl twincharged diesel hybrid w/ cylinder deactivation

>Is that the new Suzuki Swift?
No, 1st gen Aygo.
>Are they any good?
I have no idea...
It is a totaly different feeling than in other cars, it feels like about 200-220 km/h.

Smart used a 0.9 L turbodiesel, cylinder deactivation is kind of useless in engines that weak, since it would have too little power and the remaining 2 cylinders would be constantly at full injection...

Pic related, a BSFC-chart of a typical turbodiesel, note that it is only efficient at high load and low rpm.

Essentially this. I drive a 4 cylinder 1.8 and literally its stop and go every 100 yards. My mpgs are shit

Try rolling out instead of braking, it will improve your mpg and reduce your brake wear.

>tfw no 0.9 3cyl twincharged diesel hybrid w/ variable displacement

interesting

Smaller cylinders I would say from my experience

>Tfw no 0.1L single cylinder twin charged sequential turbo VVT diesel hybrid with cylinder deactivation

Hybrid for city, (turbo) diesel with long ass gears on highway.

jesus fucking christ suzuki. wtf are you doing?

Suzuki can't do anything right. Just look at the grand vitara. Why the fuck would anyone drive that?

I love driving efficient but I prefer to find the balance of efficient fuel consumption and time

The ballance is always different.
If you are late for work or something, going 170 km/h is reasonable.
If you are early, going 80-90 km/h is reasonable.

It's for the cruise control.

i know mate, but they could have chosen a less ugly implementation

>ame car and gets absolutely the same mileage.

Driving style matters, your father probably has a lead foot on acceleration from lights.

>If you are late for work or something, going 170 km/h is reasonable.
This is what Veeky Forumstists actually believe.

all have efficacy!

Speeding doesn't even get you there much faster.

Gives you lots of time to build anxiety while sitting stationary in traffic or at lights though.

Nah, he drives real smooth in it, it's just that it's a over 2 tonne car that has seen 23 years of wear and tear, the automagic transmission doesn't help either.