First car question

What do you reckon in terms of this for a first car mates? $1175 USD, auto, 1992 BMW 318i. Family friend selling it. Good deal Y/N?
Picture isn't the exact one, but is the same model.

Groids have had their way with it, avoid.

First car should always be a Civic, Accord, Camry etc. You asked cause you know deep down your doubts about it are founded in reality. BMW doesn't make cheap to maintain, cheap to repair cars, especially in america.

There is literally no shame in buying a Civic as a first car and you'll be way more respected for taking care of and maintaining a cheap Civic than blowing your wad on a bottom-rung BMW that was never meant to be anything other than a BMW for people who can't afford a 'real' BMW.

As with buying any used car, check the maintenance records, perform a thorough inspection, and take it for a test drive. Don't shy away from being hard on it. You could get better for $1200 though, depending how long you have to find something.

>Groids have had their way with it, avoid
>especially in america
I'm not actually in the USA, just decided to convert the price to make it easier to give advice

Ease of repair is a good concern though, but are 318is considered reliable?
Definitely gonna take it for a test drive the day after tomorrow, thanks for the good advice though. I'm just seeing if it's an atrocious car and I should start working on my knock-back-without-hurting-feeling speech, or if it's good and worth going ahead with

>shitbox e36
>small engine
>automatic
this has to be bait. no one could be this stupid.

Is it really that bad? Elaborate for me, I'm not baiting, just want to get a good first car

Same here. Could someone find or rec me a good first car? I'm 20 and have a max amount of $1.5k to spend.

Are you prepared to work on your own car and have some extra money for when something breaks? If so, a 318i isn't a bad choice, it's RWD and more fun to drive than a Civic. Although I would recommend you get a post-1993 one, since those had a timing chain instead of a belt.

Extra money yes, working on my car I'm completely unequipped for though.
What's so bad about the belt?

You have to change them.

problem child 2

Thanks user. Is it difficult to do if you're not qualified? I can have a go at learning.

I drive a 318is 92 myself. Great car, sporty and great car to learn driving properly

Although I have to say, don't get an AT. They're shit

Eatern European here. Can somebode explain why americans shit themselves over BMW E36 in this thread?
Same happened when someone mentioned mercedes parts, which for us are cheap as dirt. Americans have wierd oppinions about cars in general.

The bmw's they get are different from our EU models. And since there are less na models I guess that they have less parts for them. Same is for us with Japanese cars for example. We have EU models and when we need parts for them, we have to buy them expensively from dealerships

Awesome, happy to hear something good about it since it's going for so cheap that I want to believe, thanks user
Does AT refer to automatic or all terrain or what? Because the one I'm looking at is an auto

AT as in automatic transmission. As far as my Euroknowledge goes, the AT on the e36's was crap. If you want a BMW with Auto and still affordable I'D look into getting an e39 instead. They're heavier and much more forgiving and also easy to drive in. Ppl also won't call you a cuck for driving a 5series with an automatic. Specific models I'd recommend would be the 2Liter+ Models as in 525 for example. Or you'd save up more money and then get a v8 e39 (540i) which are great and rather cheap for the power (like $3k-$6k)

I've only even done one on a transverse i4 Hyundai getz and it was a cunt. I'm sure you could do it with a service manual and a weekend tho providing you aren't retarded.

Thanks user this is in-depth, unfortunately the one I'm looking at is an auto though. if I end up liking the 318i size-wise but not getting it then I'll go for the models you mentioned, since i actually have saved nearly enough for those
good stuff

no worries. A 540i e39 is probably one of the best bmw's you can get by the way. If you maintain them properly it's going to be one of the best times you'll ever had. If you really want to have one balling car, get one with the M-Package and nice interious as well. You'll be getting puss like crazy in it. Pic related 540i with M-Technique package. Looks glorious imo

interiour, not interious btw.

Driving gas E39 with AT trans in Europe.

Not even the rich can afford fuel for something like that.

friend of mine usually drives 5KM of citytraffic and 20KM of "Autobahn" on his way to work. He says it's pretty okay compared to what he has driven before (E53 X5 4,5L, Rx8, 370z Nismo)

Kill yourself retard
I bought an E30 for my first car
Do it OP, the M42 isn't super desirable in a car that heavy but if it's in good shape for $1175 then fuck yes that's worth it. You'll still have fun with the RWD. Plus the sedan version is good if you're in HS

Nevermind, don't get an auto, you'll have more fun in a FWD manual than RWD auto. I missed that part of the post
$1175 is still a pretty good deal

>318ti
>auto
>25 year old BMW

lol c'mon. Use common sense.

what terrible first post and on top of that you have terrible reading comprehension. please kill yourself.

>Does AT refer to automatic or all terrain or what?

bahahahahahahahah

what the fuck

>$1175 is still a pretty good deal

>not realizing that OP is in Europe and not America where they are equivalent to $500 rusted civics.

Huh, I should really read threads before posting
Don't do it OP

yeah clearly OP is absolutely ignorant when it comes to cars ex. 1:

I'm not in Europe guys

i know like 1% of anything to do with cars unfortunately