Redpill me on diesel engines

Redpill me on diesel engines

higher compression ratio, no ignition system, low octane cheap fuel

simpler engine, easier and cheaper to fix, lots of torque at low rpm, you can make it shoot thick black plumes pretty easily

Popular with trucks because torque and lower costs, and also in europe because gas prices

>cheap fuel
Diesel costs more than 87
>you can make it shoot thick black plumes pretty easily
Gay

>more expensive to purchase than a gasoline vehicle
>less horsepower
>sounds like shit
>problems cold starting
>fuel gels easily in cold weather
>everyone thinks you're a fucking faggot for driving one
>have to constantly fill it with DEF or it won't even run
>did I mention you're objectively a fucking gay cunt if you drive one
>also you're gay
>fuck off

They r bad

maybe in murrica but not elsewhere

They remain the most efficient internal combustion engines by thermal efficiency. But their efficiency is almost entirely linked to flame temperatures which means the more thermal efficiency the worse emissions get.

Stratified charge also causes problems with particulate matter. Diesels are especially bad for this. GDI engines can have PM issues but it can be fixed with subtle design tweaks or dual injection.

I would argue their days in passenger cars is numbered. HCCI engines with spark ignition blending are doable with gasoline engines. Because the flame front happens from multiple points flame temperature is greatly reduced and the relatively homogeneous charge means that PM is lower.

For heavy duty commercial vehicles nothing will deliver the torque needed while keeping huge fuel efficiency. A semi truck is hugely expensive vs a passenger car so the extra cost of the emissions equipment and maintenance can be absorbed into the 25 year service life.

Electric is better than diesel, instant torque and zero emissions.

Get back to me when an electric semi has the range and 15 minute charge times of a diesel semi at the same weight.

I don't doubt that electric is the future but until you can get me a battery with half the energy density of diesel it's not a viable replacement.

Why don't they make heavy duty hybrid transport trucks? Seems like a smallish diesel engine coupled with a few electric motors and battery banks would be 10x better than a pure diesel truck.

Also the range and charge time thing is only a problem because we live in a just-in-time society full of consumerist nonsense. If it were up to me we'd liquidate 98% of the population and eradicate the need for all of this bullshit in the first place.

Then we could all drive JP8 powered supercars for $0.04/gallon.

The weight of a hybrid powertrain is huge for semi trucks. Diesels are so enormously efficient over large operating ranges that the only reason to do it is if you can't reasonably build a transmission to take the torque loading.

Trains have used diesel electric for a long time now. Additional weight on a train is much cheaper and they can't really build a transmission that can handle the massive torque that the diesel engine would put out.

The range and charge time matters because the only way these 250k+ semis are justifiable is because they are running almost all the time when the driver isn't sleeping. The only way charge time becomes less of a problem is if you have enough range to avoid the need to charge at all until a driver has to sleep. If we go to self driving on long haul then charge time becomes a problem again as any time spent charging is time that could've been spent transporting goods and making money.

>Electric
>zero emissions
Where does that electricity come from?

The sun and the wind. And pure, clean nuclear energy that has absolutely no impact on the environment and is 100% harmless.

Yep.

We should just go back to using trains for 90% of our transportation goods, and do away with trucks and truck drivers. Again, if we kill 98% of the population this would be a non-issue.

>parts are heavier
>people may think you’re a fag
>instantly get a larger benis
>torque
>nice clackety sound
>str8 pipez yo
>fucking expensive
>4.5 gallon oil changes
>16 mpg in my 9k lb truck
>expensive when you can’t fix it yourself so you have to bring it to a shop
>expensive
Not really worth it unless it’s a smaller diesel like a TDI or something, fags buy diesel trucks as a status symbol, run them into the ground and demand 80% is msrp because “itz a deesul”. Get comfortable wrenching on your own shit if you don’t want to go broke, buy pre 2008 unless you piss money.
>t. diesel mechanic

You might want to think about your idea a bit more.

Why would I use a SMALL diesel to charge batteries (thereby losing efficiency due to the battery and chem to kinetic to electrical conversion not being 100% efficient) WHICH THEN gets used (electrical -> kinetic and thermal )to move the vehicle (yielding more conversion losses), when I could have just slapped in a drivetrain and cut out the need for heavy batteries that are just dead weight once discharged?

ICE get MORE efficient the bigger you go. Locomotives can pull off the use turbine to charge batteries bit because A) they're huge, and B) the amount of payload you can get moving at once greatly outweighs the fuel costs associated with the turbine. Add in not having to stop and go as often as a truck, and it just works.

In short. Use the right tool for the right job. Electric Vehicles are and will for the foreseeable future be niche at best. The energy density of a battery just isn't there yet.

I'm hearing a lot of talk about energy efficiency and not nearly enough about how we can kill most of the people in existence.

I'm thinking starvation, it'd leave mostly everything intact and wouldn't require much work, just an absence of food.

slash them with your edge faggot

They are more carcinogenic than asbestos.

It's just as carcinogenic as the grill marks on your Maccas patty fatass.

Diesel usually costs a little bit more per gallon than premium gas, but for passenger cars the increased fuel economy usually makes diesels cheaper to drive per mile. I'm not sure how it hashes out for trucks.

There really wouldn't be much reason to use an electric system in long range trucking, because the diesel engine will do its best over the highway anyway.

Short-range trucking, like delivery fleets, could just go fully electric.

>you can't reasonably build a transmission to take the torque loading.
That and, you'd need a shitton of gears to be able to get something as heavy as a train to move from a stop. The sheer complexity that would require makes the "series hybrid" approach more appealing.

>Why would I use a SMALL diesel to charge batteries
The diesel motor would has to be scaled to the vehicle's energy needs- anything much more than that is a waste.

>WHICH THEN gets used to move the vehicle, when I could have just slapped in a drivetrain and cut out the need for heavy batteries that are just dead weight once discharged?
For road-going vehicles, the idea is to increase efficiency by smoothing out the operation of the combustion engine. It gets to run at a constant RPM somewhere near its peak efficiency, rather than having to accelerate the vehicle through a few gears after every stop. Not needing all that low-end torque also usually allows a smaller engine to be used for the same vehicle.

The system does add weight, obviously, but the battery bank doesn't need to be huge like the one in a fully electric vehicle. It's only there for short-term energy storage.

You're right, though, that the return is typically going to diminish for larger vehicles/engines, which perform better with a conventional drivetrain. Until you get to things that are fuckhuge like trains, anyway.

You can't buy anything worse than 95 in Europe.
Diesel contains a bit more energy per volume, and the way it burns makes it more energy efficient.
The problem is that the double mass flywheel, high pressure pump, injectors, and particle filter are so expensive, that maintenance costs exceed the lower fuel costs, maybe except for the VAG 1.9 TDI.

In the UK, yes, western europe no

jesus fuckin christ.. how dismal a person u r.. u must be a blast at parties.. tf u dodge a coathanger for the 1st 9 months of your life

There are nice ones. The M550D for example is faster than the (now old) M5. I wouldn't want to own a clusterfuck of turbos outside of warranty though.
The golf GTD is bretty fucking popular in Europe. Think GTI everything but with a 2L diesel engine that can take fuckloads of boost.
Comfy fuel economy, maintenance isn't that much more than petrol, especially if you do it yourself.
Of course you'll need the standard engine unfucking removal of
(pre)cat(s)
DPF
EGR
Swirl flaps if applicable
PCV + catch can install
If you get a model with DEF, you can buy a nozzle that opens the magnetic valve and just put in distilled water. The computer doens't know the difference.

relax dingleberry