Unethical experiments in history

Hello Veeky Forums, I'm the head of the psychology club at my university. We are doing some things in the spirit of Halloween, including making a booklet of spooky/creepy unethical experiments for people to peruse through at a tabling event(a paragraph or two of description and a picture). I was wondering if any of you historians had any unsettling and interesting experiments in mind that would be appropriate to add to our booklet.

I've got ones like Tuskegee, Nazi experiments, Zimbardo, etc., was looking for some that might not be as well known.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_military_equipment_of_World_War_II#Pistols_.28manual_and_semi-automatic.29
youtube.com/watch?v=K_T8OuYIfhM
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization#United_States
holah.co.uk/files/sheridan_king_1972.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Kligman#Controversial_dermatological_experiments
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_human_experimentation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg
youtube.com/watch?v=_47ph6EvQPU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was quite unsettling senpai

Fugg off you psycho were not giving you any ideas for your torture dungeon

Unit 731 springs to mind.

Transgender reassignment surgery

You may already have it, but the ethics of the Milgram shock experiments have drawn intense criticism.

>2016
>
still believing this wartime Hollywood propganda..
wew lad

Can you elaborate?

I've vaguely looked at it but do not know much. Can you explain? Who were the subjects/what happened?
I know Milgram's experiment but haven't written about it yet because it's difficult to explain with brevity.

>John (((Money))), one of the most evil men to ever live, tens of thousands or more have had their lives ruined by the bullshit that this man sold the medical community, beginning with the young boy he mutilated and traumatized to the point of suicide.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

>Can you elaborate?
Not him but
>Tell mentally unwell person that they're okay and there's nothing wrong with them
>Allow them to cut their tits or balls off
>They end up killing themselves anyway

Top fucking kek

It's all communist chinese propaganda, none of ot ever happened, Harbin was the site of a weather research center that helped local homesteaders adapt Japanese crops to the Manchurian climate, that the closest to "true" these rumors get. Don't try to talk about this nonsense in an academic institution, it's Roswell-tier lore, your teacher will laugh at you user.

The fact that (((Money))) wasn't taken out behind the barn and shot the moment he slithered into that hospital is proof that there is no justice in the world.

JIDF pls go

Second verse, same as the first. These were hastily made allied propaganda pieces, they were never meant to hold up against post-war scrutinies as their soul purpose was to shock the public into buying war bonds -- unfortunately the Republic of China continues to peddle this libel for sympathy pints against Japan, but as pic related demonstrates, it doesn't hold up well to scrutiny.

*sole purpose, rather

What about all the research acquired by the allies after the surrender of Japan? And in the case of nanking, how do you explain the safe zone created by that one nazi guy and other westerners?

Little Albert
Sensory depravation
Leary's luminous lets put LSD in the drinking water thing
MK Ultra funny stuff
Manchurian candidate
Tons of studies with hallucinogens

>He also defended pedophilia
What a piece of shit. Is this guy well regarded?

It's a very cute story, but nothing more

To many um.. "liberal-minded" folks, yes.. I'm sorry to say but yes..

That picture
>what is a Chinese Type 17

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and not touch that study with a ten-foot pole, sexual identity, though interesting psychologically, is a can of worms i'd rather not open up at my liberal arts college.
Yeah and Roosevelt did Pearl Harbor, right?

Long shot but do you have the picture that debunks an alleged SS execution of Jews in a similar fashion?

no but I know what you're talking about, I've seen it before

Yeah, it says they're Serbians shooting Crostian PoWs, I think. They analysed the uniform and weapons to deduce this.

I don't want Donald Trump to be president but this is going too far

>implying he wouldn't gladly experiment on captured Muslim "terrorists"

>From late 1959 to early 1962, Henry Murray was responsible for what would now be regarded as ethically indefensible experiments in which twenty-two undergraduates were used as research subjects. Among other purposes, Murray's experiments focused on measuring people's reactions under extreme stress. The unwitting undergraduates were submitted to what Murray himself called "vehement, sweeping and personally abusive" attacks. Assaults to their egos, cherished ideas and beliefs were the vehicle used to cause high levels of stress and distress. Among them was 17-year-old Ted Kaczynski, who went on to become the Unabomber, a domestic terrorist targeting academics and technologists.

>In his sophomore year at Harvard, Kaczynski participated in a personality assessment study conducted by Henry Murray, an expert on stress interviews. Students in Murray's study were told they would be debating personal philosophy with a fellow student. Instead, they were subjected to a "purposely brutalizing psychological experiment". During the test, students were taken into a room and connected to electrodes that monitored their physiological reactions, while facing bright lights and a one-way mirror. Each student had previously written an essay detailing their personal beliefs and aspirations: the essays were turned over to an anonymous attorney, who would enter the room and individually belittle each student based in part on the disclosures they had made. This was filmed, and students' expressions of impotent rage were played back to them several times later in the study. According to author Alston Chase, Kaczynski's records from that period suggest he was emotionally stable when the study began. Kaczynski's lawyers attributed some of his emotional instability and dislike of mind control techniques to his participation in this study. Furthermore, some have suggested that this experience may have been instrumental in Kaczynski's future actions.

top bantz

Fpbp

Was he wrong about the gender thing though? What would have happened to the experiment, had he NOT molested the kids for years?

Him and Dr Kellogg should have been hanged by their entrails

Fluoridation of public water supply

Weak ass pussy shit.

I'd make that attorney quit the study. Like most mentally rigid people, I'm immune to psychological attacks.

>tfw you learn that a majority of Psychological research in Canada during 1950-1960 was funded by the CIA and used as the basis for Project ARTICHOKE, BLUEBIRD and MKULTRA.

The psychology department at my university was literally built on the money it got from sensory deprivation studies funded by the CIA, which was ruled torture the year after the head of the department died under mysterious circumstances.

Hastily scrabbled together pictures from the Huffington Post of all places are not even sources never mind them being credible ones.

>what is Chinese type 17
>what is the shit ton of weapons purchased from Germany
Do you have actual autism?

>Among them was 17-year-old Ted Kaczynski, who went on to become the Unabomber, a domestic terrorist targeting academics and technologists
Fucking why was this never told to me

fuck, those blurry pictures are irrefutable!

[spoiler]since they don't say anything decernable[/spoiler]

Well said brother
Good to know that our strong Aryan genes are gods natural defense against the zog world government bullshit

Sorry, but the Mauser C96 is listed as being used by Japanese forces in WWII here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_military_equipment_of_World_War_II#Pistols_.28manual_and_semi-automatic.29

That image could well be fake.
The two arguments I've seen that it is are the rifle not being shaped like Kar 98 and the uniform of the soldier in the picture.

My own theory is that the soldier is using a Wz. 24 or similar rifle (many of which were issued to the German military)
The cuffs of his sleeve also resemble those of the Ordnungspolizei uniforms

Seriously though, FUCK Russians

Drug experiments on US Soldiers at Edgewood Arsenal in the sixties and seventies.
Hit YouTube for four part series Bad Trip to Edgewood. LSD, PCP and more

Jesus Christ what a monster.

Explain about Kellogg

KEK
>what are Chinese variants

Dear God I'm not sure who I'm more angry at, the perverted man or the supporters, justifiers, and enablers.

ohh you!!

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States

Here you go.

INB4 wikipedia is not reliable. Check the sources in the references.

Well, considering you're fucking up the hormones of likely normal males without gender dysphoria like Reiner was, yeah, I'd say it was pretty wrong to perform sex reassignment surgeries on babies.

He's the reason American males are circumcised. He propagated circumcision because he was against masturbation.

I would have taken my dick off and ask the attourney if he wants to suck on it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair

Nothing done to humans, but holy shit

kek
>Harlow also wanted to test how isolation would affect parenting skills, but the isolates were unable to mate. Artificial insemination had not then been developed; instead, Harlow devised what he called a "rape rack", to which the female isolates were tied in normal monkey mating posture.
fucking rape racks

>The technical name for the new depression chamber was "vertical chamber apparatus", though Harlow himself insisted on calling it the "pit of despair".

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair
>Harlow devised what he called a "rape rack", to which the female isolates were tied in normal monkey mating posture. He found that, just as they were incapable of having sexual relations, they were also unable to parent their offspring, either abusing or neglecting them. "Not even in our most devious dreams could we have designed a surrogate as evil as these real monkey mothers were," he wrote.[8] Having no social experience themselves, they were incapable of appropriate social interaction. One mother held her baby's face to the floor and chewed off his feet and fingers. Another crushed her baby's head. Most of them simply ignored their offspring.[8]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization#United_States

Jokes on him. I've been a religious masturbator since I was 14, and I'm snipped. You don't miss what you never had, you know?

>rape rack
>insisted on calling it the 'pit of dispair'
Jesus this happened.

Disgustang.

Don't dig too deep

Conclusion: People trapped inside a fucking cage with no windows for days on end will get horribly depressed and possibly insane

Wow, whoda thunk?

This is amazing. Had we continued with this then we could probably revive full human bodies.

Apparently his wife died of cancer and he was depressed as hell.

I really hate monkeys but that's just evil

The worst part is that with the acceptance of gender reassignment at young ages, we now have thousands of little David Reimers all over the nation, most of which will likely suffer the same fate.

>still believing this wartime Hollywood propganda..
>wew lad

>he hasn't seen Japanese Devils
>he thinks 731 isn't real

>I've vaguely looked at it but do not know much. Can you explain? Who were the subjects/what happened?
Think Nazi experiments, but more brutal, more wide spread and more institutionalised.

Subjects were mainly Chinese POW's, they were used as experiments and training tools for members of the IJA. Some of the testimony from the scientists are absolutely disgusting, talking about raping women with festering wounds on the off time.

All in the name of science, some of the worst stuff was dealing with frostbite and how to defeat the Russians on their home ground. Some of their experiments include putting people in a centrifugal machine and spun until they died, freezing certain parts of limbs and shattering them. Studying the psychological effects of a man forced to hold a grenade until he exploded and my personal favourite, cutting off limbs and attaching them to the other side of the persons body to study the effects.

All these men, like the Nazi scientists are free as America purchased their research and granted them immunity.

Really have no idea why they are lesser known than their German counter-parts, they were a million times worse.

>Really have no idea why they are lesser known than their German counter-parts, they were a million times worse
I wish I knew too, user. I remember in grade school, whenever we discussed the regimes of WWII, it would always be about the holocaust, nazi experiments, etc. When discussing Japanese atrocities, I only remember discussing the Bataan death march. And I don't even think we discussed Soviet atrocities, besides the Berlin Wall. In my opinion, the most evil countries are in this order:

1. Japan
2. Soviet Union
3. Nazi Germany

Pic unrelated because this thread has been too depressing.

Cause Soviet experiments were funny, not gory. Case in point, insemination of of volunteers with monkey semen to create strong super soldiers

4. USA

Eh, they still killed a fuckton of people, massacred Polish officers just because they were Polish, and purposefully waited for the Warsaw Uprising to end so that supporters of a free Poland would die. Their partisans also frequently stole from other resistance groups, like the Slovak resistance. I really despise Stalin.
Perhaps, but Britain would be a close 5th.

Yep.

Neoclassical economics

That's a Jewish media meme. Circumcision was popularized in America by Jewish doctors.

>he was a good friend

Stanford prison experiment springs tof mind

>Not even in our most devious dreams could we have designed a surrogate as evil as these real monkey mothers were
>he said, while preparing his Pit of Despair

>leaving other countries out of the list entirely
>we wuz the good guys
kek

This thread makes me feel so fucking bad. Please give me faith.

I was just listing the top 3. When you see a top ten list, do you say "Well why didn't you include 50 other things?" I already said America is probably 4th.

the good guys won

>inb4 Mengele fairy tales.

Genain Quadruplets and harry harlow's maternal separation experiments are good {two different things sorry}

holah.co.uk/files/sheridan_king_1972.pdf

Millgram replication with real shocks on cute puppies, and offensive language to sjws.

any thing from bedlam... seriously

bim

When challenged about the value of his work, Harlow stated:

The only thing I care about is whether a monkey will turn out a property I can publish. I don't have any love for them. Never have. I don't really like animals. I despise cats. I hate dogs. How could you like monkeys?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Kligman#Controversial_dermatological_experiments

The CIA giving a mental hospital patient LSD for 174 days straight

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_human_experimentation

>head of the psychology club
>at my liberal arts college

What's it like knowing you're going into tremendous debt for no reason?

John Harvey Kellogg an influential progenitor of veganism gave boys circumcisions without anesthetic, sewed their foreskins closed, and burned women's clittorrises with carbolic acid all because he had warped views on sex and masturbation and thought it was immoral/wrong

>"A remedy which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision, especially when there is any degree of phimosis. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment, as it may well be in some cases. The soreness which continues for several weeks interrupts the practice, and if it had not previously become too firmly fixed, it may be forgotten and not resumed
further

>“ a method of treatment [to prevent masturbation] ... and we have employed it with entire satisfaction. It consists in the application of one or more silver sutures in such a way as to prevent erection. The prepuce, or foreskin, is drawn forward over the glans, and the needle to which the wire is attached is passed through from one side to the other. After drawing the wire through, the ends are twisted together, and cut off close. It is now impossible for an erection to occur, and the slight irritation thus produced acts as a most powerful means of overcoming the disposition to resort to the practice ”
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg

His treatment for women:

>“ In females, the author has found the application of pure carbolic acid (phenol) to the clitoris an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement. ”

>He also recommended, to prevent children from this "solitary vice", bandaging or tying their hands, covering their genitals with patented cages and electrical shock.[8]

>In his Ladies' Guide in Health and Disease, for nymphomania, he recommended

>“ Cool sitz baths; the cool enema; a spare diet; the application of blisters and other irritants to the sensitive parts of the sexual organs, the removal of the clitoris and nymphae... ”

>Kellogg thought that masturbation was the worst evil one could commit; he often referred to it as "self-abuse". He was a leader of the anti-masturbation movement, and promoted extreme measures to prevent masturbation.[24][25][26] In addition, Kellogg thought that diet played a huge role in masturbation and that a bland diet would decrease excitability and prevent masturbation. Thus, Kellogg invented Corn Flakes breakfast cereal in 1878. He hoped that feeding children this plain cereal every morning would help to combat the urges of "self-abuse".[27][28][29]

Hearty chuckle

>freezing certain parts of limbs and shattering them.
>youtube.com/watch?v=_47ph6EvQPU

>Henry (((Murray)))

lel

There should be a law forbidding psychologists from calling what they do "science" or "medicine".

And this fuck should have had a forced sexual reassignment before getting makeup tattooed on his face and tossed into the nearest prison for the rest of his life.