Why are people so fucking comfortable driving 1.5 car lengths behind someone else on the freeway?

Why are people so fucking comfortable driving 1.5 car lengths behind someone else on the freeway?

Every day, lines of these fuckers, making a wall of cars.

I don't get it, either. If people would leave enough space for lane changes and deceleration for speed variance via laying off the gas our flows would probably be a lot better than they are.

People are fucking retarded

I just can't grasp this, is this how they were taught to drive? Does ass riding just come naturally to them? I'm baffled.

When I started out my old man comment about my being a "top" and proceeded to lecture about reaction time, flow dynamics of the highway, being generally polite when in cruise mode, and not creating a hazard that otherwise wouldn't exist.

>I took it to heart

I was 17 so my level of cognizance was a lot lower. I have avoided being a member of the multi car pile up by just giving a reasonable amount if space several times over my 500k miles of driving with this consideration. That and the best of rubber and brakes

It's just this idiotic competitive thing where people think letting other cars in front of them makes them 'slower' or a 'loser'. If you leave a gap too big, someone is bound to take it (which would be collectively preferrable but you personally would be at a disadvantage.)

There was this old as balls Youtube video called "Traffic Waves" which explains the need for a large gap infront of you without even touching the safety-factor. Lived by it's teachings since I got a license.

Just watched that. Turns out, I've been doing something similar without being able to put a name to it, or even noticing it happen.

Any time someone gets in my car buffer I drop a gear and make angry 4 banger noises while slowly passing them and the car in front of them

yeah but when you are in traffic just trying to move smoothly and leave space, fasty mc brotruck or stacy in her suburban feel the need to jump in, fucking up the flow and making me need to brake constantly

It's rare I go on the motorway, but people react completely differently depending on which car I'm driving.

My old EK Civic, people will do their utmost to bully it. Typical small car thing, I think. Possibly a bit of 'Fuck Hondas' too.
The WRX wagon on the other hand, people will give a wide berth and driving is relatively drama free.

>Why are people so fucking comfortable driving 1.5 car lengths behind someone else on the freeway?
because it lets them enough time to slow down are you fucking retarded?

>always leave reasonable space when following
>car broken down blocking traffic
>truck in front of me slams on brakes to avoid it, comes to a stop
>I stop behind them
>feel happy, avoided accide-
>immediately demolished in rapid succession by two jeeps that weren’t paying attention
I hated jeeps before, but now I become irrationally alert whenever I see one within a half mile of me on the road

>moving at 90 feet.sec at 60 mph (though they're probably trying to go 80-90, which makes this worse)
>giving yourself ~23 feet of following distance or 1/3rd of a second to react to anything instead of the recommended 3 seconds

>also prevents anyone from making lane changes

imagine sharing a road with these brainlets

I'm usually going 10-20mph above the speed limit to care about creating my own gaps in the first place. Also, if you're doing the speed limit in the left lane, yeah I'm going to ride your ass. Don't like it? Move right faggot.

Do you move over when you are going over the speed limit but dudebro in his mustang is riding you because he thinks you are driving slow? I highly doubt it.

> bullying small cars

Interesting, I haven't heard about this.
shut up bus rider

Unfortunately, their drivers are notorious for not giving a fuck about anything.

This, I pulled up the gas station next to Stacy in her black jeep that was only a couple of years old with aftermarket expensive rims, tinted windows, and whatever other dealer add ons like the lights on the roof, etc etc. She gets in turns on the jeep hear horrible screeching sound and it gets progressively louder as she starts pulling out and heads toward vons. MY GOD. At least take it to the dealer lady its got a warranty.

No matter who is driving the Civic it gets bullied every time it leaves the garage. Thank God it's not my daily. Engine swap soon though.

What are you swapping in?

I get this in my (all stock) CRX all the time.
Not sure if it's idiots trying to intimidate a small car, a fuck Honda thing, or wanting to see my car go (not fast.)

K20A from an FD2 Type R.
B series engines are a bit out dated at this point, and I'd prefer a K swap to stripping the enterior.

All three in equal parts, I think. Had so many close calls in my Civic it's unbelievable. Any Honda that gets to 30 deserves a medal.

sounds kinda dope. How much is the cost?

I bet I could drop one of those in my Accord, to replace it's shit-tastic K24A4

Around $7000 all up? Money's not really a factor in it.

It's a small car thing. I get 'bullied' in my mr2 spyder, but take no shit in my wrx sti, people just don't cut in front of the wrx unless they are trying to provoke me into gofast mode.