/agdg/ Short Form Aggy Game Dev General

Shortened OP Edition // Previous Thread: This is a thread for amateur and aspiring game developers and anyone interested in the field.
The OP you're used to is here:
>pastebin.com/geTiMLWZ

Even older helpful links can be found at:
>alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/

NEWS:
• Space Jam! Just kidding. There's no jam you piece of shit. Fuck you.
itch.io/jam/fuckoff

• Final Demo Day Fiftee-minus-35 is complete! No one won. It was (Not) a competition.
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

• The first ever Demo Day One-Six begins at some point between t=0 and t=?
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16

• Beta /AGDG/ Website
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/fuckoff
recap.agdg.io/
wiki.unrealengine.com/Custom_Blueprint_Node_Creation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does phaser.js count as an engine

What happens if I pirate 3DMax, Maya or Zbrush? Will they ever find out?

Time.deltatime or fixedUpdate?

thanks

Calendar.getInstance().getTime()

wtf is this fucking shit thread someone make a real op please PLEASE

magine being so bad at something that you only ever get shit on. That's what sourceposter was. A joke of a wannabe game """"dev"""" who went insane from the realization that all the devs he shitposted at everyday in here were light years ahead of him mentally.

Imagine being so insane and bad at something that you start attacking yourself about it to "teach everyone a lesson".

I laugh and smile everytime I see reek in here pissing and shitting himself like the creature he is. Knowing this is all he will ever be.... that I can keep coming back year after year and my monkey will always be dancing. Always.

Van is on the way to your house already, please do not leave.

In normal pong you can score from the start and you don't know for certain if the next hit will be the one. In googum pong the first moves basically don't matter, the game becomes easier as it goes on, there is no incentive to play because the AI will always react in the same way to your moves. You can work a perfect strategy that gives you victory in the shortest amount of moves and it will always work.

Alvin will send his lawyers.

>NEWS:
>• Space Jam! Just kidding. There's no jam you piece of shit. Fuck you.
>itch.io/jam/fuckoff
>• Final Demo Day Fiftee-minus-35 is complete! No one won. It was (Not) a competition.
>itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15
>• The first ever Demo Day One-Six begins at some point between t=0 and t=?
>itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16
Fuck is this nonsense.

Get serious. See you guys next thread.

>In normal pong you can score from the start
because the AI is shit.
in normal pong you can also score from the middle, the end and any time else if you know the gaps in AIs ability to react.

>tfw progress is slow and motivation is fading

First for I can't get jumping animations to work in Godot because I'm stupid and worthless and dumb and I hate my life and I can't make a game without jump animations.

>framerate starting to dip into the mid 500s
>haven't even added AI/pathfinding yet

1000 fps = 0.001 ms
500 fps = 0.002 ms
not a big deal

Delicious Brown, translate it to african or māori or something to have a proper name, Rawa Parāone or something.

I've been messing around with the UE4 fps example project. How do I go about changing the animations? Do I do it in UE4 or in my 3d modeling software of choice?

The moments of pure satisfaction are worth every moment of agony as I slog through designing things without knowing what the fuck I'm doing. Fuck I'm so close to actually having a game that you can actually play ahhhhhhhhhhh

anyways progress. I don't think I've posted it yet but the property catalog is barebones done. And I just hooked up my typing thing so I can rename ships and stations.
I think I've decided to stop anxiously putting off the property/object inspector and start it next. I wanted to do some design work on ships/stations and all of the parts to them (engines, sensors) but that's for later. I'm gonna start with a purely text output like dorf fort I think. If there's enough reason I might try to figure out some graphical representation. Pretty pictures are pretty nice and I really really like the loadout thingy in EVE.
Oh I also got inventories working behind the scenes although I haven't tested much with actual items yet.
Part of that was making a generic StateQueue so I can model anything more easily like I've been modeling paths and orders, as queues of states with time boundaries. So I learned a bit about generics in C#.

I'm gonna head to bed soon. Thanks for helping me keep thinking about my goals /agdg/

you need to get the skeleton into an animation software yes

Have you tried doing something with raycast? I'm making topdown, tile-based pixelshit as first project, so I can't help much.

So does anyone here want to team up and make Half-Life 2 Episode 3? We could use the released story and get famous.

>So does anyone here want to team up and make Half-Life 2 Episode 3? We could use the released story and get famous.
Hahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

okayyyyy

I have seen some examples of animations in the previous thread.

How hard is it to make animations of this fidelity? I'm wondering if it's worth my time, but I guess learning is always worth the time.

not sure how long it took that particular user, but animation is infamously tedious to learn.
my guess would be anywhere from 6 months to 3 years to reach that level, depending on how often you practice.

unless you have talent

behold, mortals.

>talent meme

Good work, enginedev!

>/home/nodev/Code/mine
Heh.

Nice jar, user.

But seriously, what is this?

Do you think framelocking an adventure game to 60fps will be an issue for anyone? It's slow paced as fuck, but I really don't know anymore.

Is steam even worthwhile for indies anymore?
> takes huge cut of sales
> does nothing to advertise your game

When stuff like itch.io takes no money from your sales, and every sale is a direct link from social media now - why even bother going thru the hassle of Steam anymore? Seems like its only getting worse too. Im not sure big marketplaces or "mainstream indie games" are viable for us anymore.. i think its better to make niche products, sell on itch.io at a high price (£15) and get it to eyeballs of the niche groups who would pay that. The big marketplaces now are just packed with trash and AAA indie studios that eclipse us, which also, is only getting worse.

Discuss

While you enginedev, i'm just like making a game.

Itch doesn't have the presence like steam does. Even as oversaturated and packed as steam is, it's still one of the better places to sell your game.

Literally nothing stopping you from selling on both.

what does this do?

obfuscates code to help you learn nothing.

Nobody buys from itch.io.

also this

Depends on if you're doing player input or not.

Valve are total jews, but you'll only be doing yourself a disservice by not selling your game via Steam, if you're looking to go big that is.

I'm willing to bet there's a significant portion of potential customers who wouldn't even consider buying/downloading a game unless it was from Steam. Itch.io is still pretty niche in the grand scheme of things. As much as I wish it wasn't the case, Steam is the platform to use if you're looking for widespread recognition and bank.

>nobody
maybe you want to add a bit of subtlety to your statement? yknow refine it into something that says what you want to say rather than being blatantly false?

Why would you do that

Nobody will know or care.

Unless you intend to have the camera spinning wildly or for shit to be continually scrolling or something.

Your 12 itch.io fans are nothing compared to the audience steam can give you.

having actually used both i disagree.

You really need to stop basing your complete understanding of how the market works on your shitty meme game that got shilled by Markiplier.

guys... I need help
So, I've made a C++ importer of etodd's dialogger for unreal engine 4
I needed it for my game
things is... HOW DO PLUGINS WORK?!
seriously I can't find a single article that tells me how to move my C++ code into a plugin for distributing it on gitbuh!
they all tell me how to create one, but not how to develop for one!
of course unreal answerhub is full of shit an no one is answering me

hey babes
let's see your game, babe

If you don't make your game, no one will.

i had 2 games on steam and know secondhand information from others who have games on steam.
and i have those same 2 games plus a 3rd itchio exclusive and once again have secondhand information.
i think your information is old if it ever even existed in the first place and definitely malformed.

So assuming no level, how long would it take? I guess it'd take me a week to make?

>practice meme
just look at this fucking nigger he's been doing pro work for years and still can't animate a convincing grip

You need a non-defective brain to benefit from practice.

oof ow ow poor shitposter he dead now

You also need feedback from people who aren't shit.

You also need the ability to discern crap feedback "it's shit" from good feedback "it's shit because..."

Of course this super basic issue is above many people's heads, some going as far as to argue that "it's shit" is good feedback.

I can only buy through Steam, so please post there if you have a good game.

I don't mind you making it 30% more expensive.

I don't get the left part.
Is it trying to imply that pro players don't need no practice just because they got good eyesight?
Yeah, the physical requirements to be a pro athlete are high, but thankfully for art, and especially 3D, all you need is working eyesight and hands, you can't compare this shit with major league baseball.
The right part straight up doesn't have anything to do with art.

Your brown girls are truly patrician taste.

i'm not going to deny the existence of natural talent, but it's not going to get you working at a pro level in a month with no prior experience.
it still takes time and effort. and if you really wanted to overcome the "talent gap" you could put in more time and effort to compensate.

it may suck, but complaining about it instead does literally nothing to benefit you.

No time to dev / wasted a lot of time trying alternate borders. Decided I liked the retarded purple/magenta waves.

Also put in minor weapon changing juice + some shitty icons.

the question is, will having it on Steam get you OVER TWICE the sales? Because steam takes like 50%.

I think no at this point. You will only get sales from "hardcore gamers" if youre a no name indie, and if theyre interested enough to buy i dont think an itch.io link instead of steam will drive away more than 50% of them.

If you give them the steam link, they will obviously choose that, where youd need to make twice the sales to get the same profit.

not factoring in the effort it takes to get on steam, implement their API, the future decline and trash on steam..etc

its a well known idea that indies shouldnt use a publisher now. this is a continuation of that idea.

You are like little baby.
Watch this.
S P A G H E T T

this is actually mine

Now make an AI move through it.

Stop it, you're gonna trigger a waifu overload.

It's defeatist excuses to not practice. I've never ran into something I couldn't get good at with some work.

this is nice, I'm too developing a game that use an hexagonal grid for movements

Depends on the juice.

Every time I've seen a decent looking game with next to no reviews, it's a mobile port.

is there even any blueprint code in unreal that DOESN'T look like a spaghetti
why do people put up with this
it looks less intuitive than normal code

Steam takes 30%

Also steam gets me 500x the sales over itch.io.

what cpu are you using?
If it's old, that's not a bad thing for your game.

>the question is, will having it on Steam get you OVER TWICE the sales?
That's a stupid question. Ask yourself if you can get every buyer and every potential buyer who would have discovered the game from steam to go to itch.io instead. I'll give you a hint, the answer starts with an N and ends in an O.

>TWICE THE SALES
No user, we're talking about several orders of magnitude more here.
People complaining about Gabe's 30% lunch cut are fucking stupid.

You're overestimating how many people use itch.io, and underestimating the 12 million users on steam.

degenerates out

but tits

the right side shows that the players themselves will claim that they are entitled to win, rationalizing that they put in all that hard work. in reality, they put in no more or less hard work than anyone else, they simply had a natural advantage.

people are not born equal. not physically, not intellectually. not creatively. some will naturally rise to the top, but they will not recognize that it is something innate, and instead feel entitled, and rationalize their own dedicated and skill instead of recognizing this innate talent.

being a sperg is not a natural advantage

No you!

horizon-through-a-keyhole simulator

seriously, just dogfooding my opengl/es 2 library before building the stateless renderer api atop it. yesterday I got instancing working.

it's already pretty fun to use, which is saying something considering >opengl. I'm grinning like an idiot.

Even assuming it's rigged and some guy will have an advantage, do you want to be better than some guy or do you want to make a game?

thanks user!

If you use functions when necessary and comment, it's as fast to read. If you don't, you get stuff like pic related.
It feels a lot more intuitive than normal code when you're starting out. Prior to UE4 I hadn't made anything too complex (made a basic platformer in SDL, and just messed around in Unity).
Plus you can't get syntax errors, or stupid bugs because you typed the wrong variable name, which again for beginners is super useful.
Thinking it's "the future of programming" is stupid though, it takes longer to put the nodes and connect them than it takes to type the same in proper code, and they're missing some functionality.

that's because it is less intuitive than normal code

pretty sure its 40%. and link to game pls?
> who would have discovered the game from steam
this doesn't happen anymore though, thats my point. the only people discovering your game are those you directly marketed to, or word of mouth, thats shit you do on youtube or twitter.
> You're overestimating how many people use itch.io
irrelevant. people don't discover your game by browsing anymore, especially not steam. they follow a link on a youtube or twitter. if they can only buy it on itch, or your own website and they like your game enough, why wouldnt they do that?

What was the site to see games on recap?

>Also steam gets me 500x the sales over itch.io.
why not infinitex?
if you're relying on the platform to advertise your game for you then itchio will sell 0 and steam will sell more than 0 because at a minimum there are steam users who want to own every single game on steam for the steam-xp rpg or whatever other braindamage reason they might have.

>still salty

recap.agdg.io/
OP is a retard.

>the right side shows that the players themselves will claim that they are entitled to win, rationalizing that they put in all that hard work. in reality, they put in no more or less hard work than anyone else, they simply had a natural advantage.

Except the study's results are flawed when taken from this perspective. Of course people will feel "entitled" to win if they knew they started with an advantage. Because it would be completely embarrassing if they lost despite the game being rigged on their side. These sort of tests always look at correlation but don't often bother with causation.

Also the thing on the left is retarded too, because eyesight like many other functions of the human body can be trained, maintained in top shape, or it can degrade. Of course major baseball players have maintained their eyesight 20/11 since they often made use of it when looking for the ball to hit. Top dota/starcraft players also have great eye-hand coordination and reflexes, but that's because again they were playing video games since they were little and training them, not because they just happened to be born with them. If talent was enough, korean starcraft players wouldn't spend 12+ hours a day practicing.

"People aren't born equal" is completely right, because some are born to rich families and others to poor families. The revenue of the family, and the opportunity of the child to practice from a young age is an infinitely more important factor than genetics when it comes to training a skill. Unless you're born with a physical or mental disability, you have the chance to reach the top 10% of any field given enough time and serious practice. Anything else is just an excuse, and if you just so happen to be the third best painter in the world, then the first two's advantage over you isn't that important, since at the end of the day you're still an amazing painter.

Your game on Steam sells several orders of magnitude more than itch, this is a simple fact and far from irrelevant.

>he doesn't even know how much steam's cut is and thinks he can make a statement against it
nodevs are insufferable

if you ever find yourself doing any long winded spaghetti in blueprint, use
wiki.unrealengine.com/Custom_Blueprint_Node_Creation
better for perf, better for organization. and since nodes are pure functions with clear inputs and outputs it's much easier to write in cpp

>pretty sure its 40%.
It's 30.

>if they can only buy it on itch, or your own website and they like your game enough, why wouldnt they do that?
I wouldn't buy because I don't really have the means to do so. Steam enables me to direct insert money without an international card.

She can master my beast.

My idea is this:

Make your game within 6 months. Make a NICHE game that fills a gap in the market, something a fraction of gamers might want that doesn't exist. Sell it ONLY on itch.io so you keep all the sales, dont use a publisher. Do the marketing yourself during/after dev on social media. Depend on numbers between 100-1000 to break even.

I dont think aiming for more sales than that even exist for indies like us anymore, and no, steamspys numbers are not true, at all. Everyone thinks theyre gonna get mad rich on steam targeting a mainstream market but that doesn't happen. Niche, self published, quick turnover games is the way.

Holy shit stop talking about things you know absolutely nothing about.

you don't understand the meaning of the word entitled in this instance. your whole argument rests on your inability to understand

eyesight cannot be trained. if it could be trained would you need surgery and glasses? no.
and don't compare lazy eye. lazy eye patches isn't training the eye, but the muscles that hold the eye. muscles can be trained, eyes cannot.

You're fucking retarded, anyone with a game simply puts it up in as many non-scam storefronts as possible, cater to everyone and let them pick their favorite place to buy.
Stop posting.