Tesla Semi towing 5th wheel

So I was thinking about how Tesla autonomous semi trucks should be everywhere in a few years. Riding in the back of a camper RV is legal in most states.

Do you think it will be possible to request a Tesla semi a la uber, and have it pick you up/drop it off wherever while you travel in back of the RV? You can buy a nice 5th wheel for like $20k and it would be such a great way to travel.

When do you think it will be safe enough to do this? 5 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

legalbeagle.com/7433705-laws-riding-fifth-wheel-trailers.html
youtube.com/watch?v=dOiI0yChkiI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not for another 50 years. Do some research, Teslas aren’t as nice as Mr. Muskrat will have you believe.

You dont think there will be fully autonomous self driving cars in the near future? Quite a few companies are getting very close

You can ride in the back of an RV (i.e. motorhome) if you have a seatbelt, but I don't think riding in a trailer is legal anywhere.

Its legal in a lot of states:

legalbeagle.com/7433705-laws-riding-fifth-wheel-trailers.html

Autonomous driving will never be anywhere near that level anytime soon. They can't even drive in the rain

not fully, no

>not programming a neverending, circuitous route
>not fitting solar panels to every available surface to charge the truck
>not living as a landpirate, sailing your truck along the high freeways pillaging tourists and commuters

>instead of guzzoline, your rob people of phones and laptops for their batteries and RAM

>very close
lol not even. they barely work even in perfect conditions. here's the simple reason why currently existing "self driving" technology with never be viable; it can only drive reactively.

Crazy. Then again completely unsurprising considering Americans.

>lol not even. they barely work even in perfect conditions
meanwhile, argo ai, cruise automation, uber ATG, and waymo have collectively racket up millions of autonomous miles in their fleets over the past two years.

they're getting extremely close to level 3 autonomy, as in fully unsupervised autonomy within a specific area like a certain city. My money is on uber having fully operational money-making driverless xc90 taxis in some city in new mexico by next year

christ i hope not. as bad a driver as stacy is, i'd rather not compound her ability to fuck up on the road by adding another layer of complexity to the process for her to misunderstand.

i should clarify that all i read was "autonomous" and that it's a bullshit idea in general for passenger cars atm.

It's because they're deliberately misusing the word "autonomous" and tricking people into thinking they have any kind of special AI. "Self driving" "AI" can only do 2 things. It can stay in between the lines (unless there's construction or rain or snow or fog or no painted lines or something is covering the camera) and it can use radar to monitor its distance from the car in front of it (unless there radar is obstructed or the car in front of it changes lanes). That's all it can do. If it was even worth its weight in salt, they wouldn't keep running into stationary objects.

>nice 5th wheel for like $20k

If you even have to think about $20K here and there, you won't afford a Tesla truck.

This service will probably exist by 2025 but you'll have to be super rich to afford it.

youtube.com/watch?v=dOiI0yChkiI
shid looks mad

as an researcher in this subject im afraid that we are a long way this possibility. However semi-autonomous car are almost done.

define semi autonomous, level 3?

As an scholar, in the academy there are plenty of SAE level 4, however in controlled environments. In the mass production model, as far the peer review go, only the MercBenz intellidrive and Tesla are the one testing this approach on the real roads. The google one too, but not that far away.

keep a close eye on uber in the next 18 months, you're going to be surprised

although i suppose that's sort of an exception, those will be volvo XC90s given by volvo and integrated closely with uber's self driving systems.
if you're referring to full autonomy as like an option package as a car in a show room, ford and argo AI will probably be doing city specific level 3 by 2021 ish.

is in, within some small collection of cities the car can roam around freely, but cant go outside city limits

> Only in controlled environments, as i said.