/ovg/ - Forza General

Welcome to Forza General.

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have!
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/7a6QCJR
discordapp.com/invite/DfAYZhY
meatspin.fr/hXmJrJr
racer.nl/)
youtube.com/watch?v=CbI8HNXiVm4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>forgot the discord again

Discuss driving games on Discord!
>discord.gg/7a6QCJR

>troll discord link
its here you moron discordapp.com/invite/DfAYZhY

fake links
ovg discord is here meatspin.fr/hXmJrJr

>forgot
it was no accident

Name a better game

sj do you even like racing sims?

and im talking actual simulators and not trackmania.

>tfw there's a boom in indie devs trying to make japanese simcade racing games
>none of the projects are going to finish because they don't know anything about scope

Don't forget then that Discord is a verified Chinese adware botnet that scans your computer's installed software, logs the websites you visit, and runs in a browser window, meaning most of the code is running on someone else's computer where you can't monitor what it does.

Mumble is the only VOIP solution that respects your freedom and privacy.

i wish dirt rally had more courses but its still a blast, is it really the best rally "simulation" out there?

feels good man

SPEED DREAMS SERIES WHEN?

Can't play no more guys. I skeeted all over my keyboard tonight. Posting from phone.

also none of them are Japanese so the games are colored with Western perception of Japanese auto culture.

Would love to see a game where the goal is not a straight race but you are actually delivering goods across the mountain passes, like Takumi's job turned into a point-delivery game but with the TXR Drift 2 tracklist and realistic physics. Start out with a Suzuki Carry and work your way up to Super GT cars. Engine swap everything so you can skid up the mountain in a 3SGTE Previa if you want.

Most of those touge games miss the fact that you're not really supposed to be "drift racing", you're racing another car and the fastest way around corners happens to be drifting. If you're forced to drift every corner as sideways as possible it should be for points only.

>Most of those touge games miss the fact that you're not really supposed to be "drift racing", you're racing another car and the fastest way around corners happens to be drifting. If you're forced to drift every corner as sideways as possible it should be for points only.
that's a problem western indie devs seem to have with racing in general, there's been this increased interest in drifting and so they end up putting very little thought into the actual driving physics because why would anyone notice when you're going sideways and this hurts the game massively

When the physics exceed the fidelity of an F1 game from 1995.
Currently the understeer and oversteer dynamics in SD are fucking awful, the tire model is garbage, and despite a rendering engine upgrade it still looks terrible because no one seems to have made a new track for the thing since 2004. The rally cars in particular are just pathetic and understeer massively on surfaces where they shouldn't because the tire model can't deal with AWD.

Dolphinity Racer (racer.nl/) is a MUCH better sim, and someone made a Mk1 Twingo for it.
youtube.com/watch?v=CbI8HNXiVm4

it's really sad, because when you play a game like rFactor or AC or BeamNG where the car is accurately simulated, you can still do those big showy drifts with no assistance from the game because that's just how cars work.
You shouldn't have to make a car in a game drive strangely in order to make the game mechanics work. If your game does not work with realistic levels of power and grip and appropriate suspension settings then your game mechanics need to change, not the car physics. If you put a real object in a virtual world, it should behave as closely as possible to the real thing, even in a game where realism is not paramount, because it's important for the car to be predicable and for experienced drivers to utilize their skills. Racing games should never cater to the lowest common denominator because real life doesn't cater to anyone.

>>Equating hatred for a bad game as being a poorfag instead of it being a bad game
>How delusional can AC players get, past iRacing?

See here's the thing, I'm not an "AC player," I'm a sim-racing player - I buy any current sim that comes out looking halfway promising, assuming it allows separate controllers and VR. Arguing AC is the be all and the end all is as foolish as arguing that it's demonstrably shitty at everything. But to say it's shit because it has "a paywall of $30" is ridiculous; you can't seriously suggest devs produce content for free, and for what AC does well, and considering how often it and its DLC are on sale, $30 is pretty modest for it.

I was memeing with the NEETfag line, but truthfully, if you're in a spot in life where $30 is a lot of money to spend on a hobby, don't stress - you'll be out of school/college/retail or whatever soon and believe it or not you'll be in a position where your buying power for impulse purchases is enough to cover a game without getting worried. Same goes for buying your friends a round of drinks without worrying about if they'll buy some back.

where's the racer source code?

on the downloads page, though it's an older version than currently available and it's claimed no new code would be released.

oh so it's trash, got it

>real life doesn't cater to anyone.
what if you rng the transgender black womyn in the character creator at the start of the game?

sim racing with paid entry ($5/race) would solve all of the problems with the community. prove me wrong.

>you can't

>iRacing is flawless even in non-official paid races

having a high social media acceptance stat doesn't really do anything when you are away from the computer

people will still give you the stinkeye when they realize you are just a fat dude with bitch tits.

i mean if you consider getting rid of anyone playing your game as solving problems with the community then yeah you nailed it bud

iracing just makes you pay for subs and content which turns into sunk cost fallacy like in star citizen.

im talking about every race you enter being $5. in a field of 20 thats $100 prize pool so $40 to winner, $20 to 2nd, and $10 to 3rd. Rest pays for server costs.

it would make people think about actually practicing and gitting gud.

>$5 per race
im 100% sure you dont even play racing games if you think this is an okay idea

>$1500 PC
>$300 wheel
>$300 on games
>suddenly putting $25 on your sim racing account to enter five races with a chance of making it all back with just one good finish is too much to ask

its funny because if you make people pay $10 to enter a street basketball tournament and they dont win, they don't stop playing basketball

The reward for racing with /ovg/ is the free group racing learning experience. As much as I would like to make some money off the hard work of racing competently, that this sort of thing is even possible at all is reward enough for now.
This isn't e-sports. Racing in real life has a significant monetary outlay so simracing has an equally significant outlay of your own time and energy.

if someone, god forbid, ends up in the middle of the field all the time, but they still play 10 races a week which is pretty normal for an enthusiast, you're asking them to pay 2600 a year to play your game
they may do that once or twice a year, this is different you idiot

>if someone, god forbid, ends up in the middle of the field all the time
literally me

>if someone, god forbid, ends up in the middle of the field all the time, but they still play 10 races a week

if youre racing that much but still finish mid pack, you suck.

not to mention nobody in sim racing runs that many races a week.

iracing is literally designed around that, which i'm assuming is the type of experience you're trying to describe except better
even if someone does 1 race a week, they're paying over 200 dollars for the chance to race. If this is for an event, guess what - there's already better and simpler methods for making sure people aren't assholes like qualifiers and having people interact in the community and thus knowing whether they're an asshole or not.
you are not filling a void with this concept, you are simply making it more expensive to race and hoping that will scare off the assholes when people who spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on iracing still often end up being assholes and get banned from the service. your idea will not work.

hey make sure you use a food analogy next you moron

>nobody does 10 races a week
are you old?

to add onto this, you're now also adding incentive for people to push hard to get into the higher places because the goal isn't to avoid crashing out even if you finish in 8th, it's to get third or higher or you might as well ram someone into the nearest wall because what's the difference? if the only thing stopping people from getting involved in the race is whether or not they can pony up, you might as well get your money's worth right?
of course, anyone who would do that rather than trying to make a fun race for everyone is an asshole but you're not getting rid of assholes, you're getting rid of people who aren't willing to bet five bucks on their ability to win
tl;dr the internet makes people want to be dicks enough as is don't be a dumbfuck

Ok, let's just think this through for a moment, cos the first idea was stupid... but what if you paid a five dollar "deposit" that was refunded if you finished with the car intact?

that could work, though honestly at that point get rid of the monetary investment and make it gameplay
take a page from trash f2p games and make it so if you crash a car out, you have to wait for it to get mended before you can race it some more - this also is beneficial because it gives time for raging faggots to calm on down instead of taking their mood into the next race

whats the point of risking $5 when i can race for $0? money wont stop someone from bumping other people so they lose their deposit, and im sure itll encourage it

Let's be fair, with the way auto blame systems work in the current games, this would turn into a game of brush other cars to make them lose money.

You'd probably have to implement ghosting or something similar once your deposit was gone or people would KO the field once they'd lose their own deposit.

>friend tells me that he got the fanatec csl pack
>ask him if I can try it cause jelly af g27 user
>get to his home and stare his rig that costs as much as my wheel, pc and ps4 combined
>sit in the bucket seat
>"holy shit this is cool as fuck"
>boots up project cars 2 since I havent tried it at all
>cant properly focus because the sounds feel like they are making my ears bleed

SmS needs to fire their sound director. That wheel setup felt amazing though. The H shifter is miles ahead from the G27 to the point it's just sad.

>forgot
Oh you poor delusional soul

We are totally aware of the importance of modding and its contribution to the success of Assetto Corsa.
It's a great way for new talents to emerge, for the community to "suggest" new directions and/or simply to make a product richer. It is not a coincidence that some of the best guys in this community are now contributing with us to the evolution of the software.

However, for ACC this element will have to be put in stand-by mode for a series of reasons. The most important one is that we have given ourselves an enormous task of rebuilding, once again our software from (almost) scratch. In a world where pretty much every product you see on the market in simracing is an evolution of games that have been on the market 10-15 years ago, our approach is to get a big axe and reset things to (almost) zero before starting with a new project, ACC is no exception.

In this case the task is rendered more complex by the fact that we are using, for the first time a third party engine that we did not design ourselves and the truth is, given the amount of time we have available to deliver ACC to the public, we have more than enough on our hands trying to figure out how to use the engine effectively to also think about how to make the platform moddable.

As you can imagine, this has been source of endless discussions in the last year and half as every decision comes with pros and cons, there is going to be pain no matter what your final call will be. It goes without saying that we believe we made the right call even if that means loosing the huge benefits of a moddable platform.

So to recap, there will be no action from our side regarding modding, both in the direction of promoting nor offering any kind of forum support for it as in the opposite direction, we have no intent to stop it from happening if some smart guy figure out how to do it.

Last edited: Today at 12:16 PM
KS Dev. Programmer | Stefano Casillo

I just bought asscorsa. What am I in for?

It's already dead game.

Why's that?

Can't say I'm surprised. Stefano should still quit his job and buy a noose though.

very interesting

>boom in indie devs trying to make japanese simcade racing games
What's the point, isn't that just Gran Turismo?

yes, and GT is one of the best selling series of all time and one that many people are nostalgic about

>play assetto corsa against AI
>opponents are much faster on the straights with same car and setup
How?

Personally I don't mind the no modding if the platform integrates the things that had to be fixed through mods like:
>matchmaking
>series
>paintjobs/decals
Hopefully the Blancpain deal means we get something good.
I'm already a bit hopeful since they showed nightracing with weather, so the light issue is solved hopefully.

You can expect to never race it against people here because we're still stuck with rfactor series since everyone is a poorfag from thirld world countries running pentium machines.

They are getting a better line through the corner than you and so they get better speed past it, gitgud.

I’m talking about like even the main straight when starting

Your speed at the end of the straight is dependant most of all on the speed you exit the last corner with.

GTR2 was pretty nice so there's some hope

Awww. But I just wanted to play with you guys. :(

since legends ended, what will happen on sundays now?

>discord
FUCK OFF

VKOVGT3 is coming on Saturdays

Anything new on that Dakar game?

Meh.
90% of the car mods are absolute garbage, a good portion is faggots (assetto garage) trying to make a buck from converting forza/mobile game cars.

Will miss the track mods tho...

Since FM7 is such shit, is FM6 worth a cop?

can't be as bad as dakar 2 on the xbox, played that recently since people said it was a good game, it's like nfs the run but with shit physics
a bunch of dumb stages complete in under 2 hours

>fly halfway across the world
>still can't escape ovg

Gents, why did rFactor 2 fail?

It's FM7 with less features. Don't bother.

Yeah but it doesn't crash as much does it?

The open deserts were pretty neat, but it's definitely budget.

>implying fm7 isn't fm6 with less everything
It doesn't shit the bed as often either

they built a modding platform but never told people how to make good mods for it so everyone just stayed with rFactor 1.

also it looked like ass and ran horribly.

Absolutely nothing describes this game better, than this image.

>god rays always casted regardless of weather
didn't know I needed polarized glasses to race in vr

*forces you to sit in the pits for 10 seconds while all the cars you actually overtook take their places back*

>they built a modding platform but never told people how to make good mods
how to make mods period, couldn't find any single shred of documentation. in hindsight, they did the same with rF1 it's just that some autists figured it out and shared it
sim developers really are their special kind of retarded

Stop hotboxing your car druggie
This is not a PC2 issue

when you're appealing to like 30 people who are all going to buy your game almost no matter what, you can get away with being retarded

I have a question with certain cars, I find that I can rotate the car exactly how much I want with just the brakes, even tight turns like hairpins or acute turns. While on other cars doing the exact same thing the brakes don't seem to rotate the car at all.
Can any kind user tell me why this is so and how can I tune a setup of a car to make the car more eager to rotate under heaving breaking and slight turn in radius?

rear brake bias makes car oversteer on braking, also more mass on rear makes car oversteer on braking. move brake balance to the rear.

>also more mass on rear makes car oversteer on braking
How come renault 5 turbo with its rear engine, and rear biased brakes feels understeery on heavy breaking and does not produce the said desired effect?

Poor front traction

hello i need to speak to james pls

James is already sleeping.

:(
i want controller settings for pc2

gotta make your own or it won't be right for your fat fingers

because of the rear engine?

since patch 4 stock settings are awsome

>demo
im not paying for it until i know its not a shitshow

Will we be able to put gifs on our cars in VKOVGT3

can't have magic in a sim

any game not made by simbin/sector3 or reiza is trash

Anyone here try the GT40 at Lemans for this month's Forza 7 challenge? What's your best time?

>any game not made by simbin/sector3 or reiza is trash