Help with decision

I currently have a 99 Corolla that has been leaking coolant since november. Took it into a shop recently to find out its leaking from the head gasket. I'm really not willing to spend any more money into this car as I just spent 1k on a transmission rebuild back in october. On top of that it leaks oil, power steering fluid, had a wheel bearing go bad on me twice, and the power steering pump and rack and pinion are bad aswell. I want to get a newer car for the 2k-4k price range but from what I see every car I like ends up having transmission issues and burning oil problems. I don't want another car that has as many issues as my current one, nor do I want to spend more money into this car either. What's the best option, and any cars to recommend? Please no corolla.

I assume you're looking at automatic cars. Start looking specifically for manuals. Manuals are more reliable and cheaper to fix if they do break. That's in addition to thealready existing manual transmission benefits of better fuel economy and better acceleration.
Recommendations:
Honda Civic/Acura RSX
Saturn Ion
Chevrolet Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire
Ford Focus (make sure it's the DOHC Zetec (2000-2004) or Duratec models (2004-2011))
Toyota Echo/Toyota Yaris/Scion xB (2004-2006)/Scion xA/Scion xD
Chevrolet Cobalt/Pontiac G5/Chevrolet HHR

Really don't want to drive a manual when I'm stuck in traffic a lot. I need to share this car with a girl too.

Then teach her not to fear a clutch
Look, if you stick to automatics, trust me, all you're gonna find are basketcases.
FWD automatics are notoriously weak and unreliable.

Just scour craigslist for anything in your price range. Once you find something, look up that specific car in blue book, and it will tell you what usualy will go wrong with it. If its specific models you want, basicaly exactly what the guy up there said, but good luck finding them in your price range as an automatic.

Sorry what?
Since when was a FWD automatic Corolla "notoriously unreliable" do you even think about what you're saying or are you just trying to shillings manuals to a guy who clearly dosent have the want or need to buy one.

Just buy anitehr Corolla it'll do you good for another 100,000kms.

show me a reliable FWD automatic transmission that wasn't installed in a Cadillac
Protip: you can't

idk about driving a manual in traffic, but I second civic/rsx and yaris/echo. all fuel efficient cars, and very reliable.

There's no way you have a Corolla. It's probably a Chevy Cavalier with Toyota badges on it. No way a real Toyota could have that many problems.

>toyota transmissions
Literally the definition of bullet proof

Fixing it is cheaper than a another shitbox with its own problems.

considering OP has one of those and had to have it rebuilt, I'm calling bullshit

1 case dosent disprove it's general reliability. Probably bought a lemon to begin with

>i can't explain this so I'll ignore it
I've known many Toyota owners to bitch about blown transmissions

>I'm going to substitute my own experiences for fact
Why do so many *whatever the fuck cadilac parent company is* bitch about jap cars that are better in every way shape or form.

1. Just fix your current car with an overhaul.
2. Buy a 6k car with another 1k set aside to fix it's issues
3. Buy a car from someone you know for cheaper that you trust will be good. You can get a well cared-for car for under 2k if you know the person and they don't need it. Just ask, and explain your situation.
4. go for a new/newish car loan if your credit isn't shit.

If none of these work for you, you are shit out of luck, mate. You have a problem and you don't like any of the solutions, then consider
5. Stop driving.

and consider making more money, and/or drastically reducing expenses elsewhere.

/thread

>found the boomer.

FWD automatics are fine if you get a newer car and dont drive POS civics from the 90's

Cadillac's parent company is General Motors
And I don't hate Japanese cars, but there's no such thing as better in every way, shape or form. You just revealed yourself as a shill who's never been in an American car passing judgement on shit you're never experienced.

How's that Nissan CVT?

a CVT is NOT an automatic transmission. it is its own beast.

Nice try though.

More likely either the OP or the previous owner thrashed it and neglected to service it/change its fluids