How do I know if I like motorcycles?

How do I know if I like motorcycles?

I never used one (just as a passenger, years ago), but I like the aesthetics and the transportation possibilities.

Also, thoughts on pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zny8Wdpk9Gk
youtube.com/watch?v=UNrQDMZUxKk
youtube.com/watch?v=MsX2rIZory0&t=8m10s
youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M
sweepfashion.com/textile-clothing/men-s-jackets/sweep-bomber-kevlar-reinforced-pilot-jacket.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

go take one for a test ride.

for me riding a motorcycle for the first time as a young adult was similar to the freedom and exhilaration i remembered having as a kid first riding a bicycle, but even more intense
its a rush of freedom, excitement, adventure, a totally new and fresh way to experience travelling through your environment

same. Wanted to buy a royal enfield continental gt because poorfag cafe racer wannabe, and got shit on because pajeetbaiku

do you care if you die?
would anyone else care if you died?
does the thought of incurring enough injuries to cause lifelong disability and warrant suicide excite you?
are you completely alone, so carrying passengers or more than one person's supply of groceries is irrelevant to you?
are you so ashamed of the horrible appearance the good lord smacked you up the face with that you would love any opportunity to hide it all behind a mask and bulky armored clothing?

i recommend starting on a ninja 250 and not getting anything bigger until you're scraping pegs and knees at the same time. sticky tires for them are a lot cheaper.

Take the MSF course/foundation/introductory course for motorcycles at a driver training place.

Not a fan of the scrambler look desu.

Honestly, as long as you're fine with the lack of safety, I think you'll be fine. You just have to find a bike that you really like.
for non-crotch-rocket recommendations, I'd possibly look into a Honda Rebel on the cheap end, or an Indian Scout on the more mid-range end.
The Scout has earned rave reviews since introduction for good reason.

If you're wondering who the fuck Indian is, Indian is America's first motorcycle manufacturer and they were bitter rivals to Harley Davidson until Indian went under in 1953.
Polaris, the snowmobile company, bought the rights to Indian around 2011, and brought back the brand in 2014, with the new Scout (an iconic model for the brand) launching in 2015.
youtube.com/watch?v=Zny8Wdpk9Gk

Yes, exactly what a learner needs. A bike that physically can not turn.

Fuck off weebfag, go ride your 250cc pajeetbike straight down fuckyourself-avenue.

OP, you'll know if you get an itch for a bike and then get one and that bike scratches your itch, you'll like it. It gets better when your gear is on point, meaning good, comfy helmet with coms, kevlar jeans and comfortable jeans and jacket/riding hoodie.

They're not very good bikes, that's the problem.

retarded animeposter

>those gear recs

the trolling keeps on getting better

>A bike that physically can not turn.
someone's never ridden an Indian. They're the current champions in flat track racing.

Don't listen to anyone telling you to start on a 250 bro. Starter bikes are bullshit. Like, just don't twist your wrist as much if you don't want to go fast. It's not hard dude.

Get a daytona.

Let me see your nurburgring laptimes oh right

Get a daytona bro

Meant comfy shoes and riding jacket but whatever. Why would you get anything aside from kevlar jeans? You gonna wear those leathers out to public? Hah. Only fags on harleys and motovloggers wear leather.

oh. a crotchrocket fan.
now moving on to people with REAL opinions...
youtube.com/watch?v=UNrQDMZUxKk

You gonna wear those busted joints to the hospital when stacy runs a red? Full gear, textile gear. Leather doesn't handle rain very well.

It doesn't matter what you ride. There's only one thing to wear.

>he only rides slow bikes
kek

>he thinks it's the power that gets a new rider into trouble

Nobody have a thing for the Street Scrambler?

>How do I know if I like motorcycles?
Best way to find out is to own one for a couple months, so you're gonna have to buy one, learn to ride it, and expirience ownership.

You will gain so much more than any test ride or friend letting you borrow.

I highly recommend you buy a used bike (because you will likely drop it & damage it while learning) that is no smaller than 300cc (because under 300 is BORING after like a week) and no larger than 800cc (because larger bikes need more respect/discipline)

Buy safety gear! Helmet, riding jacket/vest, gloves, boots, & riding pants. You can get used gear online or on apps like Offerup at your own risk of sanitation/fitment/integrity, but seriously, get a helmet & jacket & gloves at least, then everything else asap

Ride the bike. You can take an MSF course, which I highly recommend, as it's cheap, fun, low-stress, & pretty advantageous for safety & insurance.
Insure the bike and get used to payments. Shop around before you set up a plan.
Ride the bike how you want, through different weather, times of day, in different settings, like neighborhoods, cities, backroads, mountains, offroad (if you chose a dual sport) & see if you enjoy it.
Do basic maintenance on your bike like cleaning it, cleaning the chain, doing an oil and filter change, cleaning the air intake if needed, & fixing misc. issues.

Plan to sell your first bike in a couple months, because there's a 98% chance you will want something different after. Beginner bikes, depending on the bike, tend to hold their value well, if you bought it cheaply to begin with.

One piece of advice I can give you:
Don't try hard to make your motorcycle more than it is. What I mean is, owning a motorcycle is A LOT of work & involvement, so sometimes, you will look at your motorcycle and subconsciously think "is that it? isn't there more? come on, there's gotta be more. this is a bike! it needs to be loads of fun!" So yeah. The workload will be just a part of the expirience.

You like bikes

If I try to buy a used bike without any knowledge, am I guaranteed to get scammed?

You're already becoming a motorcyclist. All you need to do now is take the MSF course, where you can practice on small, low cc bikes that you can drop and not worry\pay for. In the meantime research and learn about buying your first bike, gearing appropriately, and things not taught in the MSF. Happy journeys, new biker bro.

When you ask stupid questions like that it seems very likely.

Do you fear death or maiming? If not, you like bikes.

OP here. To all of you, thanks for your answers.

>do you care if you die?
Is it really that dangerous? I mean, it obviously is less safe, but it sounds as if drivers do some kind of Mad Max party.

That's a solid answer, mate. Thanks! You are in love with bikes, right?

Other anons mentioned MSF courses before, unfortunately I am an eurofag. Should I search for something equivalent?

Any thoughts on OP pic, btw? I find it more visually appealing than these futuristic racing bikes. Speed is secondary; I want to enjoy travels, and feel a bit more independent (I bet it is fun to cross Europe this way).

Oh this was a reddit-tier trollpost

>Is it really that dangerous?

heres some math i remember from the safety book
80% of deadly accidents involve other driver, and they are at fault pretty much 99% of the time
of the remaining 20%, 50% of those accidents are alcohol related because i guess fast sportbikes, drinking and chads go together

so if you ride like you're going to make it to your destination and not like some faggot youtuber doing sick leanz for his gopro, and stick to areas with less traffic at first you will be fine

This also ATGATT.

>Not a fan of the scrambler look desu.

This guy is right about the MSF thing but he obviously is blind or something so as a general rule do not take advice on motorcycles from blind people.

>don't have any fun and ride like you're on a moped
Whatever you say, grandpa.

>Royal Enfield
STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ROYAL ENFIELD.

Not that user, but I wear hi-viz, is it that toolbagish?
I just absolutely don't want to get hit by a car ever.
I ride in California so I figured I need all the help.

yes

its like the "baby on board" stickers or neighborhoods with "DONT SPEED THINK OF THE CHILDREN" signs sticking out of front lawns

they dont work as intended, and make you look like a toolbag for even trying

>he started on a 600
Really insecure about your tiny dick, huh?
youtube.com/watch?v=MsX2rIZory0&t=8m10s

>You're already becoming a motorcyclist.
That's poetic af.

Don't know much about bikes but it's pretty sexy

You´re euro??? That means you´re going to need a proper motorcycle license unlike the Americans. Get your license at a proper driving/riding school and you´re good to go.
As for the scrambler bike. Sorry, I can´t help on that, other than stay away from Enfields and Urals and such(they are ok later, when you get more experience). As speed is not your #1 criteria, you should be able to get to motorcycling with rather sane budget.
As for the traveling across Europe. Scramblers are not ideal. Cruisers, (sport)tourers, standards and adverture bikes are for that stuff. I´m not saying it can´t be done, just others styles are nicer(I´ve toured on a Kawasaki Z750 back in the day). Nowadays I´m riding a Suzuki VL1500LC(Intruder), comfy as hell.

>Pass sign
>"Drive like your kids live here"
>Speed up

>but I like the aesthetics and the transportation possibilities.
That's pretty enough, you will like it when you start riding it.

Just before think on what sitting postion you will preffer(more straight or more leaning in for sport)
and Than think if you don't care riding with backpack or you can install top case, locking the helmet to the motorcycle in some cases

Oh cute, it's the cruisers can't turn meme.

youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M

WhY???

shitastic bikes and almost no one works on them. i wanted one but after researching them, nope.

>implying they'll let you test ride without an M class

Leather handles rain just fine.

Should i buy the BMW 310 R?

I want a bike but i'm also scared of them.

Wouldn't take it on the highway just to work and back in the summer

Only absolute donuts and construction workers wear hiviz. Texting stacy or that grandma that doesn't know where they are are not going to give a fuck about your hiviz, they won't see you. Being hiviz in the dark is also more likely to draw fly-brains to crash into you.

Hiviz is a sign of low test anyway, I can already imagine a grown man crying "how could you not see me I'm wearing hi-viz boo-hoo".

I wear pretty much blackout gear because I commute and don't feel like changing clothes when I get to work or decide to go out and about. I absolutely can not understand hiviz, I thought part of being on a motorcycle was being cool looking?

Now you being in commiefornia, I guess I can somehow understand your side of not wanting to die, but hiviz won't help you.

>listening to regular furfag reviews
Wew lad

Go ride your peevee-bike then, fag, there's nothing to grow into in a moped like 250. Unless you're a complete mong, that 250-excitement will last exactly two weeks until you've grown out of the under-powered whirring and want more power. With a 600 that might last well into half a year to a year. A sporty 600 and you've got a year or two.

If your in the US, most community/technical colleges will offer motorcycle courses and some sort of 'intro to motorcycle and scooter'. I took intro to motorcycles at Century College twice (once was real late in the season, then took it again the next spring). $55 bucks each time got me 6 hours with a good instructor on someone else's fully insured bike (first time was a TW200, second a DRZ200). After that if your are liking it, take the MSF Basic Rider Course. In a fair number of states, passing the BRC actually counts as your ridden test, so you don't have to schedule one at the DMV. I took my BRC in May, and finally put away my baiku at the beginning of December when the snows really started with over 14k on the odometer.

>what are corners

>what are bicycle tires
Yeah I bet you get massive degreez with those narrow little baby-wheels

It's not hard to scrape pegs on a 110/130 or 110/140 setup desu.

Tyre width doesn't wholly dictate stability so much as speed and where the centre of gravity is.

You could get knee down on a CB125E if you really wanted to.

They can't turn at speed, which is when you really need to turn. Limited lean angle/excessive rake and all that. Moose test levels of swerving? Lowisde.

And the naked-sports riders are safely halfway down the road thinking "man, chicanes are fun when they're made of moose and the fear of death"

Not something you have to learn to take on a 250, for sure. "Start on a 250" is generic advice you give out to everyone just in case they're THAT retard who just has to "top out" his bike at 5 in the afternoon, only to realize that even though it accelerates like a ferrari, it brakes about as well as a honda civic. Maybe worse.

Also can't forget the "brainwashed by /dbt/" type who goes out in pursuit of "chicken strips" and "being a REAL rider" off the bat
>/dbt/: 20f? it's fine, you fucking fair weather pussy
>your sportbike's tires: we offer as much grip as hockey pucks after sitting at a stoplight for five seconds.
>/dbt/: i ride in the rain all the time, git gud
>your sportbike's tires: tread? what's that?
>/dbt/: so i crashed again guys, i think i'm gonna go dirtbikes only
>retard: hmmm, i don't see the connection

>cornering
>not something you have to learn on a 250
>what the fuck am I reading.jpg

The point of a bike like that is to learn your craft, some of which is cornering. You learn it on a small forgiving bike so if you make a mistake you're only going 50mph, not 150 and if you hamfist the brakes it's less likely to throw you over the bars and flip the bike over behind you.

There's a difference between learning to corner and being obsessed with chicken strips, y'know.

I've got a classic 350, 2016. Don't mind it but wish i'd got something else. Everybody who doesn't know anything about motorbikes love it.

Chief > scout ;)

I got many miles on my cruisers. Turns just fine. But in not a try hard boi racer either

Second this opinion.

First bike was a 2005 CBR600RR. Still ride it. I love my bike

It's called leather conditioner. Put it on after a rainstorm and it's better than before!

Don't get a cruiser. Terrible for your back as youre sitting straight upa nd the shockwave travels up your spine. Get something that requires you to lean forward a bit and that has mid or rear set footpegs.

I like your jacket, what is it?

If you are wondering if you like bikes, you like bikes.

the one thing I don't get a about the whole "learn on a 600 you just have to be more careful" is: how is a complete beginner constantly having to stay out of the powerband to avoid death and having plod about in high gear low rpm an even remotely good for learning? especially compared with a 650 twin that delivers its power smoothly and is much more forgiving and much easier to learn to ride fast on track

also kek at the guy who talks about "growing out of a 600 in 6 months to a year" like he is remotely close to the performance limit of a 600

My back don't hurt from riding mine. U jusr have shit posture and weak bones

>go to buy MC from dealer
>they let me test ride without MC endorsement
>no problems
>test ride goes fine
>come home with new bike
feels good to be a burger

>the one thing I don't get a about the whole "learn on a 600 you just have to be more careful" is: how is a complete beginner constantly having to stay out of the powerband to avoid death and having plod about in high gear low rpm an even remotely good for learning?
Because you don't plod around in high gear, you just go easy on the fucking throttle.
Learning to moderate power is only slightly more complicated than learning to clumsily mash the throttle on a forgiving bike... All the other handling skills are the same.
Anyone who learns at a reasonable rate can be making decent use of the power within a few months.
>compared with a 650 twin that delivers its power smoothly and is much more forgiving and much easier to learn to ride fast on track
If it's too forgiving you don't learn much anyway. Some people are willing to accept the risk and the challenge.
Some people want to be lazy about their gear selection and clumsy with their throttle application. They mostly ride forgiving 650 twins.

Made my day

Here you go, very comfy, very warm. Used it as a ski-jacket in Lapland on new years, it made a -20c° slope-day its bitch.
sweepfashion.com/textile-clothing/men-s-jackets/sweep-bomber-kevlar-reinforced-pilot-jacket.html

I have samsquanch feet. I can not find boots that fit.

Where should I look?

I wear a 14EW or EEEE in American sizes.

but with a 650 you can't just mash the throttle since you are literally producing more power at low and mid rpm. learning to apply the throttle and power smoothly + learning to stay in the powerband from day 1 vs learning to avoid it is a better learning exercise than "oh no I must not go above 10k"

> "oh no I must not go above 10k"
But that's literally the opposite of what I said.

wut? so your advice to new 600 riders isn't to moderate the throttle and avoid the extreme powerband lurking at the end of rev range?

>implying power to weight ratio isnt more important than ccs
Beginners should aim for a 1: 7 hp to weight (lbs) or higher as their first bike.

Definitely avoid 1:3 to 1:5 ratios as those are typically the supersports death machines

>wut? so your advice to new 600 riders ...

>moderate the throttle
Do this

>and avoid the extreme powerband lurking at the end of rev range?
Why the fuck would you do this? Just moderate the fucking throttle. It's not going to bite you. It's not sudden, it doesn't sneak the fuck up on you... There's no magic crash-inducing dragon lurking above 10,000 rpm

>Beginners should aim for a 1: 7 hp to weight (lbs) or higher as their first bike.
>Definitely avoid 1:3 to 1:5 ratios
You know, you can just use less of the power... There are throttle positions between idle and WOT... It's not a fucking light switch.

>Is it really that dangerous? I mean, it obviously is less safe, but it sounds as if drivers do some kind of Mad Max party.
95%+ of people in cars on the road probably would classify as having some form of mental retardation. You could be the most skilled, most aware rider and perfectly follow the laws, never speed, etc, and you'll still get pancaked by some 70 IQ bimbo who couldn't wait to get home to see what Fucky McDicksinass posted to instagram. Prepare to be perpetually filled with an infinite rage if you decide to ride a motorcycle.

>supersport death machines
Spoken like a true redditor

You faggots would rather circle jerk rather than answer this question.

You buy tall work boots or "tacticool" boots. Bates, wolverine, Iron Age, even Dr Martin (but the sole is too soft) make that size.

Also, have you tried contacting boot manufacturers? you aren't asking anything difficult, components of a wide shoe are the same as regular, if they don't have the 4E last handy they will just pad a D last and build you boots. TCX, Forma and Gaerne manufacture in the EU. If one won't do it another will.

Damn. Dank view my friend.

>tfw hitting a Porsche head on