>tfw rear tires are just about a kill
>fronts still in good shape
>want to replace them but don’t want to waste an alignment for just the rears
>thinking I should just do the whole thing
>tfw it’s going to be an additional 300 shekels
Just

>tranny mounts are shot
>oil is vanishing but no smoke or visible leaks
>parking brake gets stuck on and you have to manually release with long screwdriver under car

Otherwise for 24 years old its pretty good

Tfw need to change clutch throwout bearing
Tfw removing the gearbox is a huge pain in this car
Tfw wiper mechanism needs rebuilding but it's behind the dashboard

>Alignment for new tires

Is this a thing?

you are suppose to get an alignment with new tires.

>thought I was getting 13 mpg
>did the math on my last few receipts
>11 mpg
>tfw

>spend a good month figuring out why my truck is bellowing smoke from under the hood
>repair the valve cover gasket, which had a fucking half-inch wide crack
>smoking from that burning oil vanishes, take a second look to check the residual smoking
>find out my cat's cracked

>what is tire rotation

As time goes I'm starting to worry whether I actually like cars as much as I always thought I would. Consumed a lot of car related stuff in my youth, but actual ownership is pretty sobering. Working on modern cars is a monumental effort in mastering complexity, and going for older project cars is just exchanging complexity for frequency and intensity of maintenance. I don't find driving around purposeless all that satisfying, and I'm growing increasingly aware of the strain in noise and air quality that driving puts on the general public, and that it's actually a pretty inefficient form of transport, not lastly because I live near a relatively major road myself and witness the negative effects of traffic on my own life quality.

*SIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHH* here we go again.

>tfw factory staggered fitment

similar feel

You sound like you’re in a similar rut I was in the majority of last year. Due to life choices (joined the chairforce reserves) I was living the NoCar life for 6 months. During that time I didn’t even feel worthy to shitpost on Veeky Forums because I was a bus riding faggot. Degenerancy set in and the only things I cared about were watching animu, vapefaggin, and jerking it to cartoon horses. The first thing I did when getting back home to my old life was go out and buy a God Machine. Didn’t even care for it much until I passed a Prius doing 100+ on a backroad. The sound of the turbos spooling and rush of acceleration made me feel alive again

>garage is full of junk and bags of sand.
>neighbor got their car nicked two weeks ago
>mine is probably next

But I do own a car and I think of selling it because it's starting to become fucking annoying. And I don't think a different car would make me completely reconsider my views on automobiles in society.

>My 2003 WRX is in the process of getting a new engine so it's sitting dead in the water
>Keep finding things that I should replace before the engine goes in
>Machine shop is taking way longer than expected
>I'm not going to be able to get into boost for the first 500 miles anyways
I just want to feel the boost again boys.

Also

My 1985 MR2 is slowly falling apart and I'm just trying to keep up as it's now my daily
>Finally got around to changing out the rear blown out struts
>Sway bar bolts snap while reinstalling suspension
>Drill out and retap holes for sway bar mount finally
>Finally delete the bulky and clogged EGR system
>Now car is idling funky, so need to constantly adjust the idle control and try to dial it in
>Remanned alternators have died 3 times in the past two months, hoping this one stays alive
>Windshield wipers are shit, still haven't ordered new ones
>Windshield leaks water when it's raining hard and I'm going over 45mph, I've tried sealing it 3 different times now
>Cheap paint job is flaking off in some areas
>Headlights need replaced, fucking dim as hell
>Rear tires starting to show major wear, should be replaced soon
>Ridiculous wind noise coming from the driver's side mirror, I've tried fixing it twice and it hasn't changed at all

>muffler rusted almost to the point of leaking
>bearing noise from alternator gets a bit louder every day
>winter tires need to come off soon but I don't want to stick my shitty Chinese all seasons on
>rust has begun on rear quarter panel and I didn't have the funds or the garage space to do a rustproofing this year
>rust from previous water leak hasn't been checked in over a year since I would have to take out half of the interior trim

Good thing I start my apprenticeship a new dealer tomorrow but I don't want to start asking for favors and bay space my first few weeks on the job.

>ball joint breaks
>fix it
>other one breaks a couple days later
>fix it
>the first one breaks a few weeks later
>fix it
>clunk ratttle clunk rattle
>replace both strut assemblies and sway bar arms
>cant even find a tool that can reach bolt heads for sway bar bushings
>mostly quiet anyways
>fuck it
>mysterious exhaust rattle at 1500rpms
>only at 1500 rpms
>cant find the source
>fuck it
>check oil dipstick today
>notice oily greasy stuff on AC compressor on the front side of the engine
>and on a electronic plug in the back of engine
>and on the edge of the intake manifold near the top of the engine
>engine block is clean
going to check to see wtf that is about today

>tfw literally every component on your car is in good condition and doesnt need any investments
>still want to spend money on parts and upgrades

how do I cope with this craving

>Some fucktard previous owner tried fixing rust by bondoing over it instead of replacing the metal
>Now I have to remove a bunch of shitty bondo before I can even start fixing the rust

I fucking hate s-chassis owners.

>but don’t want to waste an alignment for just the rears
Isn't an alignment like $10?

>and I'm growing increasingly aware of the strain in noise and air quality that driving puts on the general public
faggot

>that it's actually a pretty inefficient form of transport

>Isn't an alignment like $10?
/n/ is -->

>buy used automatic econobox with low mileage back in december due to previous car shitting itself
>start getting into cars a month later
>slight buyers remorse
>know it’s very reliable at least but wish it wasn’t boring as shit to drive

get a bike

my first car got written off and is being picked up for scrap on wednesday :*(

>oil pressure warning light is blinking
>oil level is fine and there are no major leaks

Oil pressure light doesn't just warn you if your oil level is low, it's also there to warn you if your oil pump is failing and can also flash if you have failing crank bearings.

rice it

>doesn't just warn you if your oil level is low
as, I thought, I implied with ">no major leaks" and a picture of a nigglet with a thousand yard stare.
Hopefully I can delay the inevitable with some t h i c c oil

>tfw just fixed speedo (cable was unplugged lel)
>tfw that made the check engine light go away
>tfw replaced bulbs in the dash so the heater controls shine like new
>tfw I am one door sensor away from having a perfect interior again

Yeah I'm having a slow day user - apologies.

>Almost all electronics are on the fritz.
>Engine developed a ticking sound after it skipped a thread on the belt.
>Not sure how long it will run.
>Looking at pretty new cars not sure if should use that much on a new car.
>Not even sure if civilization or nation will survive for too much longer.

>tfw waiting for my badging and logo that fell off my car long before I purchased it to come in the mail
I just wanna restore my shitbox to as original of a state as it can be

>set out to change all the bulbs in my car, interior and exterior
>-5 F outside
>can only change one pair of exterior bulbs at a time before fingers lose all sensitivity
>interior trim is so hardened from cold that slightly using too much force could shatter it instantly and because it doesn't want to flex, nothing comes out easy
>whole job takes over 3 hours with plenty of breaks to go inside to warm up
>can't do proper work (changing bushings/sway bar links/exhaust hangers) because every bolt and nut is frozen shut

>mfw busywork in the freezing cold

Why would you change all the bulbs?

Start the car, get it up to operating temperature, and run the heater for a bit. Now you have a warm place to rest without going inside *and* bolts and components have warmed up, allowing easier removal and installation.

Like I said, busywork. Most of the interior bulbs had burnt out, both from the dash and console, as well as some of the exterior bulbs, front and back, which I always replace in pairs. And since I had the taillight/headlight assemblies off completely, I just did all the bulbs. Same deal when I took apart the dash, every single bulb was accessible and pretty much identical, just replace all of them.
I do feel like an idiot now for not realizing this. Apart from helping me keep my hands warm, that sure would've helped with disassembling the plastic interior.
The frozen bolts are sadly in the chassis of the car, where the engine heat does not reach.

is that vag car?

woah who is this qt thot

bro one time at autozone, I asked the 2 kids at the counter if they had Hondabond in stock, (stupid i know) and they looked and at me as if i was retarded and said that doesnt exist. lol

>tfw hoarding car parts for 3 different cars

>horrible ass sound
>change cv
>3 months later it returns

fuggggg, wish i bought a new car. now i have no monies

Keen eye, correct. Timing belt chewed up 20-30k miles before needed and it was checked just last week. $800 in parts or something plus now I can fix some other issues I've put off

>$800 in parts for timing belt, water pump and any number of engine components on an old VW
Are you getting jewed or what's going on here?

>Pontiac Vibe (1zz-fe)
>high idle (2200) when cold, inconsistently rough idle when warm
>it's been this way all winter
>I'm only getting around to doing the intake manifold and throttle body gaskets this weekend because I just learned that's what causes it
>I've been revving it almost to redline at least once a week
>in fear I've raped my engine
At least they're common if it must eventually be replaced.

If anything, you raped your catalytic converter.

>tfw clips holding interior siding on door are breaking one by one
>tfw clips holding the sunshades to the ceiling are breaking
>tfw broken plastic vents
>tfw driver's seat is slightly tilted to the left and I'm not sure why
>tfw streak of rust inside passenger side door and I don't remember when I first noticed it
>tfw heater fan motor is almost kill but it's buried under literally everything else in the dashboard
>tfw headlight switch has come loose but I can't get it out because the knob that's supposed to be pulled off isn't letting itself be pulled off so I have to drive around pushing the headlight switch in to keep my lights on
I mean, everything that matters is working perfectly, but this is the stuff I have to see every day.

20 valves
New head
Belt kit
Pistons + rings

Rough estimate on price. Old doesn't necessarily mean cheap

buy a motorcycle

Well mistakenly running most of a can of throttle body cleaner through the engine was probably worse for it. No big deal I guess, since I'm not in a smog state. I'd prefer to have it in proper working order, but I won't pay out the ass for it. There are a lot of trees around here anyway.

>Driving home
>go from smooth ride to slight vibration in steering wheel to shearing all my lugs in about 2 miles
>150 for tow, 170 for new wheel hub assembly and lugs from local parts house
>Inspect old hub, deep corrosion from crack formed from over-torquing
>inspect other side, no cracks but threads at the base are clearly stretched from lifetime of over-torquing

I probably have to replace all the hub assemblies on my truck. Previous owner had a mountain of receipts from all his trips to les schwab so they've been abused by an idiot with an impact gun for years.

At least when I lost my wheel it jumped under my truck so I didn't destroy the brake rotor or anything.

>Bought truck for work
>spend all my money taking care of truck

move the sand and crap into the driveway and put car in garage
exhaust rattle isnt a heatshield is it? mine rattled only at idle and taking off and i pinned up the shield better and it was fine
Yeah I can't wait to really start digging into my car. I bet there's a LOT of metal needing replaced.
Just keep the reliable econobox for a daily and get a weekender or I'm sorry.

>spend winter working on getting a door on to replace a rusty piece, and getting all the systems hooked up, door aligned, window aligned, etc
>car almost complete
>fixed cruise control by literally just reflowing all the solder joints, zero dollar fix
>fixed electric headrest with new OEM dealer part $30 dollars in like 2 day shipping
>fixed some rust holes with miracle paint/POR15 and fiberglass mesh, not too expensive and couple of days
>detailed/washed/waxed car yesterday
>went out for first of the year cruise
>still waiting on a shop to finish powdercoating my new wheels and mount/balance my new tires
>then off for an alignment
>having guy come over sunday and paint a factory pinstripe back on some replaced panels
>probably also fixed my electric aux fans for like, 10 bucks or so so my car can regulate its temp better without using the heat
>door still kind of acts weird because the latch isn't quite right but I can pry fix that easily enough with the adjustable striker plate
and the coolest part
>fixed a convenience function that causes all the windows to roll down if you hold the key in "unlock" or all the windows and sunroof to close if you hold the key in "lock" on the door, that I didn't even know was broken, for free as I was messing with the door.

I'm leaving out the part where the wheel setup cost me about 2500 bucks after all is said and done, and the junkyard door that still has a couple dings in it cost like 500...

I don't wanna talk about it. I have no idea how it ended up this way.

Oh ok. That's actually a good price for a new head and pistons I guess.
Taking the engine out then?

pic cracked me up

Na shouldn't need to

Why not? Take it out and go get the block machined while you're in there diggin around

Ree

Jesus, looks like my room almost. I have the entire rear end and brakes and wheels for my 240 in there next to a few gallons of booze.

That's actually kinda kick-ass, senpai

mfw

Is that tinfoil on the top right clamp?

5 amp fuse for the meter

>Driver doors don't open
>Driver window switch doesn't work

Yeah it's our living room. Soon (tm) I'll hopefully be able to use the big parts and just have the green boxes and oil left.

Tbh I wouldn't go through the pain of taking the entire block apart without getting it honed. Plus once it's on the stand, everything is 10x easier

im pretty sure thats only if you get a non OEM size

>wheel bearings going out, makes loud rumbling
>one of the brake calipers are seized up, if i have to slam on the brakes for any jackass that thinks its fun to stop on the highway, i get the death wobble
>losing oil, possible blown head gasket
>oil dipstick is shit and doesn't read well.

Nice car:
>rear Watts link has developed a nasty clunk
>car too low to put it on ramps
>only have 3 jackstands
>can’t get lift time for 3 weeks
>don’t want to pay $400+ for some fuck to remove 3 nuts and replace a $75 part

Shitbox:
>niggers broke into it last month
>smashed the window even though it was unlocked
>stole less than $2.00 in change and a half a pack of gum
>broke my rear view mirror off and sliced the driver’s seat with a knife
>haven’t had time to fix the window and vaccum it out so it has been sitting in the garage since

Bonus:
>still too cold to ride motorcycle
>it sits in my garage, mocking me
>probably needs a new battery since my battery tender got stolen

I put in sheep skin seat covers. Im feeling nice and comfy

Move out of whatever shithole you're in if people keep stealing shit from you.

Seriously one of the best "mods" or accessories I've put on my car. My parents got me a set for christmas a while ago and they just add next level tier comfyness all year round. I don't understand how I got by without them.

Explain why this is so good

>order parts with 2 day shipping
>get tracking number for half of the order a day after ordering
>monday moring was 2nd business day and parts are due tue by end of day
>no tracking number for other parts
>check now
>taking number is issued
>other parts were shipped off at the same time but through a differnt carrier and will arrive tue dy end of day
>been dreading all weekend thinking i wasn't going to have all the parts in time
>sweet relife.

Ive been such a crabby patty to everyone around me.

I could be in a much worse spot but it's still sad to see more of pic related in tight spots.

In the summer it keeps you cool and in the winter it keeps you warm idk how also its soft and plushy

>swore I'd fix the prelude
>4 years later its barely running and body's rusting out
>have 6k saved up for a new ride but nothing feels as magical as that gen4 spaceship dash
>have no idea where to start looking for a new car

Right now i'm looking at a 280zx for 6k, a 5th gen prelude for ~6k, and desperately trying to find a black aw11 all the while trying to tell myself that i'm not abandoning the car I love, its just its time to die. someone take this pain from me.

>87 sentra
>5th started popping out.
Have a spare gearbox but ive never rebuilt one before.
>send help

good luck on your apprenticeship man, things can only get better from here.

Could be worse. Invert the good to bad and yould have mine.

Not my feels persay, but if this doesn't invoke some emotion in you then you hate everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=QfAWixMKwEA

>Anything over 4000rpm billows fucking tons of blue smoke
>Valve stem seals and piston rings are probably kill
>Don't have the time to pull the engine out and be without a car
>Someone had also sideswiped me in a parking lot so a large patch of the body panel just in front of the rear passenger-side wheel is buckled inwards and scratched to fuck

I live in a very safe area actually. The break-in happened when I was at my GF’s place. Forgot to mention that that is when my battery tender went missing.

Inb4
>having a gf
I only blame her a little.

>sun roof literally flew off while driving
>had to duct tape plexiglass top of my car while it rained for 4 days straight
>finally get new glass installed for free because the part had a recall
>find out passenger side floor is wet so I assume there is a leak

This doesnt even begin to address the fact that the car doesnt seem to make enough power for all the lights and other accesories.

Cigarette lighter doesn't work,guse blown. Replace fuse, burns immediately through as well. Fucking short circuit somewhere.

Also, car makes a weird vrow vrow vrow oscillating sound which sounds about 3*/s at 100km/h. What the fuck turns 3*/s at 100 km/h

assuming 3*/s means 3 times a second, it sounds more like a harmmonic resonance of some sort that something actually moving at that speed... two parts moving at high speed, both making their own sound, which in a rhythmic pattern interfere with each other, then build on each other. possibly gearbox/diff issues? what vehicle?

You can do stem seals without even pulling the head on 99% of engines. Might be worth a try.

You get your alignment checked regardless. If your alignment is out of adjustment it can cause abnormal tire wear. do you really want to 'destroy' brand new tires like that?
You get the alignment DONE/CORRECTED if it's not within spec. Tire size matters not on whether or not you should get it done or at least checked.

Think people, stop being busriders.

>rear tyres bald
>Fuel line cheap rubber need braided between rails
Reeee

>steering still fucked
>Always out of ps fluid
>Don't feel like it's worth change since I'm getting different car soon enough
>Steering gives out whenever it feels like
Not sure if dangerous enough to worry
What the fuck happened m8

The reason you should get an alignment done when you get new tires is so you dont wear them out prematurely. It is possible to have a bad alignment and not notice it.

>tfw car lost control in the rain and did a 180° into a toyota
>busted taillight, busted rear bumper, busted wheel bearings, and alignment turned to shit from it

And unrelated to the incedent

>front brake pads are a bit shite
>ordered some pads for my car and got the wrong size so still running shit pads
>now the A/C belt is chirping
>and have zero money

It is just one thing after another with my shit luck. At least she still runs

>engine noise increased
>exaust gas smell
>rattle
>pic related