Things to look out for when buying an Eclipse?

Things to look out for when buying an Eclipse?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EW-uwNivPvw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I need NOS...

Make sure it's a car.

This was such a nice design. Seeing where Mitsubishi ended up always makes me die inside a little.

The Eclipse is a crossover now. I'd post an image of the fucking thing but I don't want to stain my HDD with the file.

try not buying one.

Buy a 8th gen civic.
Stand up straight with your shoulders back.
Do not do things that you hate.
Make at least one thing better every single place you go.
Maintain your connections with people.
Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world.

the GSX or Talon tsi(awd) and another eclipse or three to go with it for spare parts

is it that bad?

it really is, DSM cars have absolute shit reliability but are great when they run

Not him but I always thought gsx were not DSM while gs and gst were DSM.

congrats on being retarded

>Starion
>Eclipse (even the face lift 2000s ones were okay)
>Lan Evos (3, 7, and 9 were all great and better than the impreza)
>3000GT (at the very least it looked great)
>FTO
>Galant
>Diamante
>just outlanders and eclipse corpses now

far as i know they all were, even if non dsm parts were used every car would still have dsm parts on it because i'm sure they just grabbed whatever and slapped it on

Avoid the gs/rs as they are slow pieces of shit.

If you get a gst or gsx, do yourself a favor and rebuild the bottom end and perform the thrust washer fix to eliminate crank walk. Also replace the flywheel while you're at it. The oem ones are soft as shit and the stock one will be pretty fucked by now.

What happens is the flywheels get worn down so much that the flywheel bolts come into contact with the clutch springs. Then a clutch spring can get wedged in between the bellhousing and flywheel and crack the case.

yeah a better car

make sure it isn't a 7 bolt and if it is then don't drive it hard until you convert it to a 6 bolt
>crankwalk apparently

fuck man

Step 1. Make sure it doesn't look like this. If the seller has an eclipse that looks like this, run away and don't look back

this is the most wrong post ive read on Veeky Forums in a very very long time.

signed,
dsm'r since the 90s.

been beating the shit out of my 7bolt for 8 years now, zero issues.

>it didn't happen to me so it never happens
>anecdotal evidence

Other cars

Rip Mitsubishi. First thing I do if I ever win the lotto is buy a fleet of 80s and 90s Mitsubishi's. Every gen of 3kgt, dsm, Galant, starion

danger to manifold

Avoid third-gen models like the plague.

>Amateurs don't use nitrous oxide. I've seen how you drive. You've a heavy foot.

F W D
W
D

so tell me what driving hard has to do with a 7bolt being bad? what does driving hard have to do with crankwalk?

idiot.

>crankwalk

youtube.com/watch?v=EW-uwNivPvw

Negros

The first gen had an awd trim on both the eclipse and eagle talon you fucking nerd

well it is entirely Dependant on their year model
is yours an 98 or 99?
Mitsubishi claimed the fixed the problem in these models

didnt 2nd gen GSX have AWD?

yes

98-99 has the split thrust bearing. not sure if that really did anything. cw is so uncommon anyways it not even worth thinking about.

that'd be great if 98% of them sold weren't FWD only

fucking gay nigger eat my asshole

Man, I used to have a GST I let go for an 04' 350z. Was my first car in High School. I should have just kept it. It isn't like I couldn't afford both, just didn't want to own 2 ricers. Still a great car.

>Join the Army
>Decide to get new 350z
>Let a "Friend" buy it off me for half my offer price, $1750.
>3 months down the road he gets a DUI coupled with drugs found and speeding, immediately lost driving privileges
>He flipped my GST for $2500 to pay fines, and pay toward the lien he would pull to buy a fag-ass SRT-4
>His license now revoked, he takes his new SRT-4 out and wrecks it before he gets kicked out of the army
>My GST is owned by some fat beaner who riced it out and crashed it at a Cars and Coffee meet

Fuck me

shoutout to the guy in a 3000gt with a gto rear end that waved back at me, made my day a little less shittier

IIRC the 6 bolt engine is the one that's very prone to crank walk, get the 7 bolt

passenger floorboard WILL fall off if you go too fast and there WILL be danger to your manifold

>Always inspect your solar filter before use; if scratched or damaged, discard it. Read and follow any instructions printed on or packaged with the filter. Always supervise children using solar filters.
>Stand still and cover your eyes with your eclipse glasses or solar viewer before looking at eclipse. After glancing, turn away and remove your filter — do not remove it while looking at the eclipse.
>Do not look at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed car through an unfiltered camera, telescope, binoculars or other optical device.

I daily a GS. I can’t kill it. I’ve owned 3 and none have died. Make sure the car is in good shape. If it’s a 420a with a turbo, run. If it’s the 4g63 with the stock intercooler you’ll be alright. Don’t plan on fixing any parts. If something breaks, plan on getting a whole new one. The more aftermarket parts that have been tacked on the more likely shits been fucked with. Stock/oem is your friend here.

If you want a reliable an i4 dd, get the GS. It’ll still be fun in corners. If you want a turbo fwd car get the gst. Leave it stock and don’t blow it up (swap to an fmic if you can). If you want a 2 door evo get the GSX.

I've owned a 3G for 2 years and it's been unreliable during the winters (It was only $2,300 tho) but its extremely fun to drive. Sure it's FWD but it has a 6G72 so its pretty quick for the price. I've driven a few 2G's and they feel slower but I was never able to find a GSX that wasn't beaten to death before I settled with a 3G so I can't speak on them. I know they only have 10 more HP than the 3G V6 but the 3G's are lighter, even the V6 convertible that I own is pretty much the same weight as a hard top GSX. Most of the Eclipse's I run in to are driven by women but all the ones driven by dudes are always cool, which is nice.

I need it by tonight

The engine
The transmission
Everything really

>buying a Mitsubishi
don’t