Buying a modern diesel and general dpf/egr/adblue horror stories and discussion

Buying a modern diesel and general dpf/egr/adblue horror stories and discussion.

Fyi im australian.. so any advice to me needs to be available here. Dont tell me to buy a ford f250 for example because theyre 150k here.

Im strongly considering buying the latest toyota landcruiser prado.. for those unfamilar its the landcruisers smaller cousin built that shares chassis with the toyota hilux, the fj cruiser, 4runner, fortuner... etc etc. Long story short the only thing thats putting me off buying one is the engine selection is limited to a 2.8 turbo diesel that has dpf which scares me. Keep in mind im buying this brand new, and i will be selling it in 5 years. Should i or should i consider buying a slightly used fj cruiser or another alternative?

My main problem deciding is there pretty much isnt any other options that dont include fucking modern diesel engines... which to me see to be more complicated and trouble then theyre worth. Modern petrol engines seem to be just as reliable and long lasting.

Isuzu mux, 3 litre turbo diesel
Ford everest, 3.2 turbo diesel

Jeep... well i just dont think i can bring myself to buy such trash.

Jeez, the land cruisers looks sure have gone down the toilet lately

Op is a 180 series PRADO landcruiser.

This is the current 200 series landcruiser

Looks a little better. Too bad it’s so expensive

>dont think i can bring myself to buy such trash

Don't unless you stay near the city.
>Shit fuel capacity

Thats another big plus the prado has a 150l fuel capacity.. i really want to get a prado but the diesel engine is putting me off. Up until 2016 you could get a v6 petrol model.. i shouldve bought one then. I just dont know if i want to buy a used one considering where i live alot of people take their 4wds to the beach so youre potentially buying a rust bucket

If you wash it after going to the beach it’s not an issue. Plus it’s easy to spot when you go looking at them whether the owner looked after it or not.

Please don't buy a Prado, I drive my fathers one regularly and the diesels are absolute slugs around town. If you only drive on the highway fine but if you live in the city you'll have driving it
FJ cruiser is good but visibility is terrible and fuel economy is shit, but they'll hold their value extremely well

Yea i love the fj cruisers.. so many people judge them on their childish hummerish looks but theyre actualy really good solid cars.

If i can sway my wife we could get one of the last ones (production ended in 2016) these had long range 150l fuel tanks along with a few other modern touches lik3 bluetooth and satnav.. theyre alot cheaper then the prados are brand new obviously but it means less or no new car warranty and previously owned.. agaim doesnt bother me much but my wife is a bit iffy on paying so much for a usedcar. Can get almost new 2016 models for like 45-50k

Get a DPF Delete, EGR Delete and get a catch can

Just run it actually warm. What fucks up the EGR, DPF and other shit are short drives where the engine does not reach its operating temperature

>the size of a fucking house
I despise seeing these things around the fucken suburbs

Jesus, tell me about it. The amount of middle aged soccer mums I've seen that buy these fucking battle tanks because they've got 7 seats for their little darlings, and then flatten three hatchbacks trying to park it is unbelievable.

Honestly OP, DPFs aren't quite as problematic as they used to be. It's pretty well documented on how to own and maintain such devices these days, and they aren't anywhere near as problematic as they were 10 years ago. Just make sure it does the odd long highway run, and don't be afraid to give it the berries when it is doing a passing burnoff. And then get who ever is going to be servicing it to force a burnoff every other service. Oh, fit up a provent too for ultimate peace of mind, but if you're trading it in 5 years time, I wouldn't worry too much. Other than that, the 1GD-FTV is proving to be a solid workhorse without too much in the way of recalls.
Think of it this way, if you go the diesel route, it'll retain a shitload more resale value when you flip it in the relative near future which will more than offset the running costs.

You'd be doing well to look at the mentioned Everest and MU-X, and the later range of WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokees have proven to be a reliable performer too, not like their other Fiat based crossover crap.. The 3.0 V6 diesel is an absolute gem too, along with the 8 speed ZF auto they use.
Another one to look at would be the full size Pajero. well proven 3.2 from an engine family designed for industrial applications, huge diffs and a solid, if a little old fashioned 5 speed gearbox (originated from Landcruisers and Tundras). The Paj (if you can find a dealer that stocks them) is damn good value too.
Out off all the above the Grand Cherokee is the nicest to drive and that engine is incredible. Although you also have the 3.6 petrol V6 if you're still unsure on the diesel. My money would be in the Pajero though, but the Prado just has an incredible resale.

What year Prado is your fathers? The 1KD-FTV has plenty of get up and go around town.

They're fucked not just cause it's an SUV, which is bad enough, but they're a good half a metre taller, wider and longer than the average suv

I was considering the pajero too as the price is really good, the only thing that puts me off is the horrid resale, slightly dated interior and styling probably wont impress my wife im assuming. I think ill definitely be giving it a test drive as the price is hard to go past.

Thanks for your input, as with everything you only ever hear the bad stories thats whats scared me about cars with dpf as just a few google searches shows some frightening stories. I will definitely fit a catch can thats one of the things a coworker also recommended.

No dramas bud, and I guess that's why the full size Paj is good value, the fact it's been using the same platform since the gen three was launched almost twenty years ago. But even then it was a platform that was well ahead of its time, In terms of how the previously mentioned 4x4s drive on the road, the Pajero handles and drives better than the others bar the more modern and similarly constructed unibody Jeep GC.
> as with everything you only ever hear the bad stories
Basically it. Especially on this board with a mainly North American user base of whom seem to be allergic to anything diesel that's not a 3/4 ton pickup, although their cheaper gas prices make it hard to justify diesels in their defense. So it's easy to get turned off modern diesels on this board. Keep in mind if it's mainly doing short trips around town where it barely warms up or faces much load, a petrol does start making more sense.

Another car worth looking at is the Toyota Fortuner. Same platform as the Prado with a smaller body starting at $50,000 for the auto.
And try not to write off the Jeep GC either. There's plenty of them being put to use as caravan tow tugs around Australia, piling up miles. If they were as problematic as previous Jeep shitboxes we'd be hearing about it a lot more often. Their resale isn't bad either surprisingly. I'd happily trade our current '09 Paj on an Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee for the next family bus, but my Mrs refuses to own anything that isn't a manual... weird huh?

2011, so the 3 litre.

Must be something wrong with it, as the 1KD usually performs well around town, Unless you're comparing to a 6 cylinder sedan or something irrelevant.
Put an exhaust and a tune on it, and the 1KD really wakes up.