/domg/ - Dominions General

Bob and vagene edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Play by email guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debug Mod
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/MNrJ3ZQh
youtu.be/stlZEKoJg10
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya/discussions/1/1471967615889746218/
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=EarlyChocolate
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQvrB13LOtaWUpPdThacDc4cXc/view
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for doing turns

Second for being knocked out first :)

What are the battlefield dimensions? Why is it not in the pastebin?

Found it.

Do your turns.

>xibalba amd lanka are being knocked out first

Summod akbar

Xibalba is strong I know that but is Lanka normally top tier?

lol

t.Lanka

>blood nation
>top tier summons
>free skeletons to patrol and eat evos for you
>somehow not top tier

Dont forget that they get extra slaves in turmoil unlike everyone else and a ton of kickass sacred summons.

I'm probably making a MA disciples game soon. Is there interest for that?

I could do it LA instead, but I have already played too many disc games in EA.

Wew, makes me glad I took him out when he was weak

>Why is it not in the pastebin?
Excellent question. Added.

Also, if anyone feels like rewriting 'basics' and 'tips' sections (lots of stuff in there is either outdated or just plain wrong), go ahead.

Apart from that, I think we could use something like this guide pastebin.com/MNrJ3ZQh (except good) - supershort guides for all nations; what are they good at and what should you expect when playing as or against them. I can write a few sections, but I don't really feel competent enough to summarize the usual strategies for all nations.

So as some guy pointed out in the previous thread, Lanka's surrender was entirely premature. And as another proof of that we now find out that Lanka was sitting on some fine reserves of D gems which the AI was not ashamed of spending on lots and lots of undead.

The resulting spike in "Army strength" graph is quite a thing to behold, and those skeletons will take a while to clean up.

Elswhere, we have the following happenings:

>Ur has finally taken Sauro's capital, and is now about to take the last few remaining Sauro provinces. Capital assault was quite tough, with Sauro's mages spamming skeletons and blocking the entrance, so there were some pretty serious losses.
>Pangaea has taken Berytos capital. The capital was barely defended, so losses only include a bunch of maenads and 10 White Centaurs
>Agartha has reached Mictlan's capital and is now sieging it.
>Fomoria has conquered a Mictlan's fort and has not made any further moves yet.
>Ulm's invasion to Lanka has been stopped by the undead monkeys for now.

Firebirds are seriously underrated. They are a Bogarus-only strategy, but i've found that summoning a few early (piss easy with Alchemists) really makes every turn much more profitable, the good events (if you took god-like scales as i have) are insanely profitable, any gem event lets you convert the entire bounty to, like, other 5 Firebirds (they cost only 2 fire gems), and you research them pretty quickly given Bogarus researchers + magic scales i've taken.
I hope the other players wont realize they are shit tier units and break the illusion of being well defended by them + shit tier archers.

(this doesn't actually work)

What's his endgame?

I'll see about that, i don't plan on spamming them like the pic i posted, but having a 20% chance more each turn to have good shit happen can be a huge boon for a very little investment (what, like 40 gems or something)

Already exists. Called something-something Gaia. Has immobile freespawn producers and mobile seducers.

To feast on the dead, it will eventually feast on the gods

You have been visited by UNCLE STALIN and his COZY RECREATIONAL RESORT of GREAT REJOICING!

Good luck and easy games will come to. But only if you reply "REJOICE! THE TRUE GOD HAS ASCENDED!" to this post!

Ulm had no chance as well. I now have 7/6 thrones I need for victory. Next turn I'm getting the 8th.

Stool are you winning as Marignon? Turns out the anti-Ashdod shilling was just a ruse.

REJOICE! THE TRUE GOD HAS ASCENDED!

Ashdod had 5 thrones when I diplomanced people. He WAS actually doing a throne rush, and I posted screens. He took an indie throne near Machaka's cap ring (on turn 50. yeah...), and only my magic phase memes stopped him.

youtu.be/stlZEKoJg10

хopoшo

Lanka pls

Ulm is on his capital. Stalestrats engaged.

Then his turns should be fast. He is making us all wait every turn. Is this some next level strategy?

Yep.

Hello
I participated in an LA blitz a while ago, playing LA Ulm for the first time
Thought I was doing well until a couple of players questioned why I didn't have vampires.
Apparently, the nation should focus on blood magic rather than play as the typical evo human nation like MA Ulm

Is going Blood really the only viable trategy for this nation?
I liked the theme of EA and MA Ulm being about strong men not giving a fuck about monsters and gods. Thus summoning demons and vampires as LA Ulm is something I'd like to avoid not doing,

Pic related Marignon and Patala attacked me for thrones, while Agartha tried to vulture me.
Used an F9 A4 Idol of Man pretender, which in hindsight was a probably a bad idea because I found out black templars were cap-only.

Also Patala won by using flying elephants that immediately bypassed my blockers and trampled my iron blizzard casters.
How does one counter that as LA Ulm?

Cast Paralyze with your 999 astral mages.

DO YOUR TURNS

*I'd like to avoid doing

There may be alternatives, but then you're basically a low astral nation with some earth. You have national vamp counts that generate free patrollers for bloodhunters. If you're not using them, you're handicapping yourself.

It's doable in principle but while Ulm reaches midgame quickly (due to recruit everywhere mages), their advantage is the ability to recruit mages without having to build infrastructure first and once other nations get their forts up and recruitment starts being limited by income/upkeep rather than how many provinces you can recruit mages from, bloodless Ulm loses pretty much any edge they could possibly have had over other nations. For example, LA Pangaea does communions better (high HP centaur sages suitable for turbocommunions, can cast Thunder Strike/Gift from Heavens/etc in addition to astral spells), all the while also having big N/E mages AND better troops.

Bodyguard blob on mages.

Bane?... GET THEM ON BOARD I'LL CALL IT IN

Anyone hosting a MA game?

Tell me about Bane! Does he wear the artifacts?

RemoveLanka Abysia, take your turn.

NO ARTIFACTS FOR A SUMMONED GUN

What bless do you guys take for elves?

Which elves? As far as I know, EA Vanheim wants a troop bless (W9+something most likely) while Tir probably wants N9Ex

I was thinking Tir.

Well their sacred troops suck (more or less), so any bless you take will be for Sidhe Lords. What exactly you take depends on how powerful you want your thugs vs how much diversity or scales you want from your pretender.

N9E4 is the standard TNN bless.
You also might want to try the W9E4 since you can get the hooded spirit that way.

I would, but I'm currently too busy to check the thread regularly. Please create one.

more like those are the standard blesses for almost everyhing ever. some games literally every pretender carries that same bless because the alternatives kindof suck

What settings do you guys usually use? I'm using:
>Random events common
>Story events Enabled
>100% multiplier for resources/supplies/money
>Magic site frquency 35%
>Indipendet strenght 5
Anything i should change? Am i playing easy mode without noticing?

>single player
Yes you are.

Well, i do feel scared on going multiplayer.
Do you use the settings i posted in multiplayer or something else?

Those settings are all pretty reasonable, except story events are usually turned off.
Don't be scared. It's more fun.

Don't listen to the other guy. Be very afraid. Being stomped by something you totally didn't expect is really exhilarating. Then you learn to use the same shit, or even mix it up your own way, and you stomp people yourself. Disregarding the fear part, join MP game as soon as possible.

Join the Multiplayer game as good nation like MA Agartha, they have thick sacred troops and thick sacred statues that you can research pretty early and pretty much all of their relevant mages are sacred in the pic related you can see how 3 thick sacred statues tanked the masked man, his League of Shadows and his army of big, fire-throwing demons. Besides, it's not like other players are necessarily good.

steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya/discussions/1/1471967615889746218/

This game will never start but that doesn't stop me shilling it.

Need at least two more for EarlyChocolate
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=EarlyChocolate

i still exist

I'm interested in joining this with my newbie, but 6 players are probably too few. How many of them are we aiming for?

Somewhere between 5 and 10 teams. Teaching Feeling had the whole ten.

What about Cold 3 Abyssia?

Do a Treelord!

Sure, make a Sidhe Lord, with the obligatory 3 mirror images

Do a supaya, please.

I'm this guy again, any preferences on age? I wanted MA but then realized I have never seen a LA disciples game.

>If not enough people care about the age, it will be defaulted to Middle Age.

If you want something else say so in the thread.

I would prefer to stay anonymous.
t.me

That'll be tough considering it's a sign up game.

I signed up here, why do you need more than that?

What happened to that crusader mod some guy was making? The sprites for that looked awesome

I think it was released and he posted a link, should be in the archives somewhere.

I finished it. Posted it in the thread too. drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQvrB13LOtaWUpPdThacDc4cXc/view

For some reason I couldnt get the #nextspell thing working for me so no dropping small armies of angels and statues on guys and I didnt test some of the combat spells but other than that I think it mostly works as intended.

I imagine it'd be pretty fucking hard to track you down for your draft pick in a month or two when it actually happens.

Oh, awesome, thanks!

Is there anything that could be done with the nextspell thing? I don't know much about modding but is there some other spell that works the same way that you could copy?

I did copy spells that worked the same way which is why I'm so butthurt about it. There was points where the game was telling me that the next spell I set it to use didnt exist despite you being able to see and cast it in game.
Its fine anyway, its not that big a change.

Huh, that is odd then.

Anyway,I got invited to a modnation blitz so I hope you made them overpowered as shit

Well they got cap only sacreds with awe, regeneration, decent armor, flamberges and immortality so I wouldnt exactly call them balanced.

I volunteered as mentor, since there are two rogue newbies.

Maybe you can't make custom spells as network? There is something like that with on-battle spells. The work around is to make them on-battle a garbage spell like crumble and change what it does.

I'm almost certain you can. Like I couldnt even make a spell where you summon a commander and some dudes show up with him despite that being a pretty common type of spell.

At last the true Malakal has ascended!

Graphs and short summary following! For now rejoice!

I subbed in the game around the turn 20 I think. I had about 10 provinces and one non capital fort without addons on a lizard shaman province. And around 60 great olms.

I started with expanding and building more forts and not recruiting a single olm until like last turn of the game.

!BREAKING NEWS!

Today's big story:

A decisive battle has been fought between Agartha and Mictlan! And while Agartha has suffered some heavy losses, including its pretender, it has been able to completely defeat Mictlan's last stand.

Major part of Mictlan's army consisted of slaves, which have been blown away by Agartha's blade winds.
Ozelotls and Jaggies were actually the ones to hold the line and deal the most damage against Agartha, along with some summons provided by mages.
Agartha's Pretender has been doing fine for most of the battle, but at some point he decided to Drain Life a Jaguar Warrior. That clearly was not his best decision, as the blood vengeance swiftly made him go "poof" in front of his shocked soldiers. And you can be sure there's no dominion to proc his immortality either.

Nonetheless, Great Olms and remaining agartha's forces have been able to succesfully defeat what remained of Mictlan's elite troops and the mages they protected.

RIP in peace "All i wanted to do was blood hunt" Mictlan. We are sorry for bullying you.

My pretender was dormant (?) D5E5 risen oracle, guess ok but no reason for him not to be imprisoned. Had good gold scales but no magic.

Aight

Before ((((((he)))))) starts bragging i want to tell you how the game went from my perspective

Im pretty sure earth attack was my third MP game in dominions and it showed.
I submitted an absolutely horrendous imprisoned pretender with no bless whatsoever , I started the game and expanded very poorly after which i somehow suceeded in removing Oceania from land and made a non agression pact with agartham which turned out to be absolutely disastrous.
I then ate fomoria and spent the rest of the game watching as arcosephale, vanheim and TC fail to defeat agartha, but it was a learning experience nonetheless

I started by making friends with my neighbors, mainly Lanka and Sauro.

Lanka quickly got invaded by Fomoria and I moved in to shield him from Fomoria and by providing him with whatever aid I could. He stayed my good vassal for the game.

fu

I signed a NAP with Sauro with no expiry date, that was annoying as I couldn't get his thrones and had to go around the entire world for them.

When Kailasa fell I vultured some of his lands, including a throne.

After that I was aiming for EBDW but Arco stole it from me. Whats even worse he started summoning hidden in sand armies and that made me panic. Sand skeletons are nigh immune to magma kids and that was my entire army by then bar a few mercuries.

I quickly invaded Arco despite only having alt6 and evo5/conj3. Fortunately he wasnt much of a challenge.

Vanheim decided I was the biggest challenge (I was) and invaded me via sailing. He took my throne fort but I retook it after reaching alt7 and fog warriors.

In the meanwhile Sauro ate Fomoria, Lanka was a small state that was my vassal, also fighting Arco, Kaialsa fell to TC and Vanheim/Yomi.

Yomi was fighting Vanheim and kinda losing but elves couldnt finish him off - because they sent all their stuff on me obviously. Yomi randomly went AI tho despite havign good odds for a great comeback. He did send me 100W before, that funded my mercury army.

With my newly Yomi funded mercury doomstack and never ending supply of magma kids and some umbrals/penumbrals I leisurely invaded TC/Oceania taking their thrones I needed to win.

TC went all in on conj9 so apparently he had no battle magic despite having an assload of indie mages and research and territory and gems and whatever.

Oceania did fuckall but be annoying all game.

My enemies evidently did not use their rp/gems properly as they had a massive lead for most of the game.

TC had W9F9E4 and played way too passive for that bless. He played scales TC not double bless rapist TC he should have.

Elves gave up too soon. So did Yomi and Arco.

Sauro was too pussy vagina ass to fight me. Cluck cluk chicken, hiding behind our NAP.

Lanka was a good boi, he gets to be my right hand after ascension.

EA Agartha is great fun nation, reccomend it. Pity I didn't get to break the seal tho.

Why is oceania so weak? You would think all the stealthy amphibious troops would make them a nightmare in an UW fight.

Because all the good spells for their paths don't work UW

Lanka has made a valiant effort to break the siege, however the effort fell flat. It did show me a few errors in my troop positioning and that will be changed to fix it in the future to avoid unneeded loss of life. His pretender is still hiding in the castle, but with even less troops to repair the damage I am causing I think his days are numbered.