How do I beat the Dealership

Well Veeky Forums, I'm coming close to getting my hands on a new car soon. I have a few brands and models researched & I saved up some bucks.

Now comes the hard part...dealing with a car salesman.
I've never do this before and I figured I should ask you all since I've noticed a massive hatred for dealerships within a lot of the threads I browse

Teach me your ways Veeky Forums.

I want to Jew the Jew.

inb4 20 posters that "got a sweet deal, the dealer actually lost money on it." You cannot win going to a franchise dealership. They will make thousands off you no matter what. It's not possible to get a "good" deal.

>but I really did on a last years model blablabla
No, the salesman put on an act, pretended to have to go back and forth with his manager, and "reluctantly" took the deal. If you think you got a good deal on a new car you got played like a fiddle. Buy private party and don't be a retard that buys a new car.

It's very possible to get a better than average deal. If you have patience and good negotiating skills, it's possible to get a much better than average deal, but obviously dealerships aren't going to make a sale that doesn't benefit them in some way or another

What cars are you looking at OP?

>you can't get a company to lose money on a deal so why bother negotiating at all

I would like to be your go-to guy for buying everything

Dumb tripfaggot

>Buy private party and don't be a retard that buys a new car.

Fun fact, I did that already and I got fucked with massive repair costs and the car is still having trouble to this day.

If I had all the time, tools, money and a garage to work on a used car, I would but I need something that won't break down on me in the first 5 months of owning it because I really don't have the time for bullshit to interfere with my career.

Honda Civic/Accord
VW Golf
Mazda3 or 6
Toyota Camry/Corolla
Subaru Impreza

Yeah I know, nothing fancy or impressive. I just need a DD that will be cheap for the next 5 to 7 years. Once I make more money/pay off loans and save, I'll get a dream car.

His trip should go in your filter, but here's some realistic advice for you OP:
Car dealerships can fuck you over too, they're less likely to but it's not uncommon.

Buy a 5-6 year old private party car, get a pre-purchase inspection, and do research on common faults, complaints etc. on forums for the model, that way you know what to check for, a 5-6 year old private party car should also come with a dealer maintenance history every time, and you should check the VIN in the VIN threads we have here, to see if they turned back the odo or if it's been in an accident.
You will likely save about 1/3rd of the cost of going to a dealership, and if you plan on getting a decent car worth 15k or something that's quite a good amount of money.
Judging from this post: I think you might want to get a Mazda3 or a Corolla, maintenance costs and depreciation go waaaay up if you get a midsize sedan like the 6 or the camry.
If you intend on sticking to the sub 5k price bracket, definitely don't see a dealer because that's where dealers fuck you the most, those are the cars not worth repairing, sold to the people with the least amount of funds which statistically means they're less likely to tell the dealership fuck you if the car turns out to be shit after the sale.

the price of the car is the price of the car. if you can't afford it, take your ass to CL.

-Civic/Accord & Corolla/Camry are high turnover cars, so negotiating on one will be a bit more difficult.

You wanna hit up a dealership near the end of the month, and you want to catch one that HASN'T made its sales goal yet, and thus has some motivation to get extra units gone. If you really wanna drive at a deal, you wanna go for something with an unpopular color, or even better an unpopular color paired with a manual (think a senior citizen beige manual Camry)

With cars like these, you have to catch a dealership that's in a bind, or catch a car that's been hanging out on the lot too long because of some extenuating factor. This is where patience comes into play, in that you can spends a few weeks (or months) keeping tabs on local dealer's inventory to see if they have anything that's been hanging around for a while

Don't go to the dealership until you are ready to buy, and already have your own financing in line (or at least a financing option you can live with). Then you can blitz them. Focus on the out the door price of the car only. Don't get caught up on monthly payment. Everything is negotiable, and don't forget it. And always be ready to walk away from an offer if you aren't 100% satisfied with it

I'll also add, that if you live in an area with several dealerships, put them against each other. Fire off an email to the internet sales dept of all of them, letting them know what it is you are looking for, and that you will buy from which ever gets you the lowest price.

Doesn't always work, but you have a decent shot of getting at least 2 of them in a small bidding war, and again, it will come down to how badly they want to make a sale

Would you just CC them all in on the same email chain?

Yup, make it obvious you are sending the email to multiple dealerships. Even is you don't get them bidding against each other, it sets you up a great bluff. They'll all most likely reach out to you to get you to come to the dealership. If you find a car you like, nothing stopping you from "claiming" that you've already been to one of the other dealerships and gotten an offer.

Now you aren't going to be able to pull some hilarious lowball number out of your ass, but if you throw out something reasonable, it can give you some great leverage....provided you're a decent negotiator and your delivery isn't autistic as fuck

>literally can not count the number of times some cring-worthy fuck would say "yeah-h well, dealership X up the street offered me the same car for $10,000 dollars less! W-what are you gonna do, huh???

Would this work on a slightly higher end car, like say, a 3-5 year old used 3 or 5 series?
Not OP but still interested in your wisdom.

Explain high turnover cars?
Like they get returned a lot?

With used cars it's gets tricker, because dealerships have more ammo to fight back with you on (ours has lower mileages/is in better condition/has more popular options! that sort of thing)

You can still play them against each other if you can find similar cars, but with used cars, it's less effective overall.

I was told to do this.
It helps it seeing what the price is before you walk into a dealership. My plan is to go on March 31st because it's a Saturday at the end of the month/Quarter.
I am willing to walk out of I don't get a goo deal because I have a fuck ton of cars saved ('m using cars.com to look at all the ones in my area) but I'm in a time crunch cause I will only have that Saturday to do this.

No, as in they have a very high sales volume. They are common cars that the dealership will be selling all the time.

Hence, they will turn over the inventory of those cars very quickly

You don't have to wait till the very last day of the month. You could start getting serious on like...the 27th or 28th.

By that time, dealerships have a firm count of how many cars and contracts they need to secure to hit the monthly bonus, and your salesmen who've been having a bad month will all be on the prowl to try and grab a commission or two

Ahh, I see.

is it possible to order directly from the manufacturer? like build and price a car from bmw then order it?

Fuck, I'm gonna need to take a day or two off of work then.

love you bro

still often come across your stories when browsing my Veeky Forums folder, gives me many sensible chuckles

>I want to Jew the Jew
You won't. It's a comical shitshow where you always leave screwed. It'd be nice if you could order a car exactly how you want it directly from whatever brand and just pick it up somewhere, or have it delivered, but you have to deal with the sleazy middlemen, there's no way around it.

You'll get fucked no matter what but
>Ask to see the invoice
>If financing, do the math on whatever your monthly payment should be for the quoted price/ interest rate/loan period and compare that to the monthly payment they tell you.
>Take the factory warranty and tell them to fuck off on any upsells

making a request for a LPG story thread plz.

Private party, pre purchase inspection

Just buy cars at MSRP like Tesla lmao.

I know you won't listen.
But get a Miata.

I do have a Costco membership so I could us the auto program and pay a no haggle price.

You CAN jew the dealer, but I wouldn't deal with them again. In September of 2006, I got a brand new 2005 Yukon SLT 1500 for 27k because it had been sitting on their lot for a year. You have to catch them in a bind or on something they just want to get rid of.

Wouldn't you skip that shit if you pay in full?

Planing on doing this.

I really want the 2018 VW Golf out of the bunch because the 2018s have a 6yr/72K warranty now. But a lot of the VW dealers have tons of 2017 Golfs that are selling below $20K.
I'm sure they know people want the 2018s because of the new warranty plan so the 2017s are just sitting there.

They have to be desperate to make money otherwise you won’t get shit. My parents for example, have always managed to drop the price just enough to cover taxes on cars going up to the $60k range. Last time we went to a dealership, it was packed with people during the holidays and they got shut down hard. They drove 30 min to another one where it was fucking empty and they basically stole the car out of the lot.

If you could then salesmen wouldn't have a job.

jew the jew by not buying from him, just find the car you want second hand on the internet for a fraction of the price

Tesla.

But the dealerships hate them and try to get their direct sales outlets outlawed and shut down. They succeed in states with crooked pols.

threaten them with a bad survey

Damn that's cold
Good last ditch if they're really fucking with you