What year did car/truck design take a nosedive?

What year did car/truck design take a nosedive?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Pickup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Right around the time they started to become luxury vehicles and status symbols. They had to design them according to the new market where people want their brand new F-150 with full leather and chrome grilles every year.

>trucks
1994, when Dodge decided that bro-trucks should replace muscle cars as the chariots of fragile suburban masculinity.

That looks good though

That gen was the best 1500 imo. Could get 2 different V8s and a V10, all with a 6 speed manual.

early 00's, with the ranger being an outlier that hung on till the early 10's like the panther did, mostly due to fleet sales keeping it alive

wait- you could get a V10 1500 in 1994? jesus

Thats the 8.0 thats "supposed" to be the viper engine

emissions laws + role as a status symbol

The mid-2000s, when GM and Ford were toying with the idea of bankruptcy, Chrysler was getting fucked in the ass by Mercedes, Honda and Toyota were offering extremely dull and boring, if high-quality vehicles, and all those other import brands were disappearing faster than 16:10 monitors.

90s fords are the best looking trucks they have ever made.

>fragile masculinity

can you leave your meaningless fag language on tumblr where it belongs

Awww poor bebe

It's true through, find any bro or Dad with a big shiny truck and make fun of it, they'll lose their shit like a grade schooler and then roar off as loudly as possible to feel better about themselves

1950's somewhere

This user is right.
>tfw 100 horsepower V8 to move a 3 ton truck through a 4 speed non-synchronized transmission

>better towing
>better payload
>better off-road
>comfier
>better mpg
I get the nostalgia for the square body but let's be real here, modern trucks are better than their predecessor in almost every single way except looks. If we could take the modern power train/drivetrain/suspension and throw it into a square body I'd be all for that. But to say 70s trucks are superior is just silly.

Especially in the Midwest

My favorite thing to do is swap 6.2l vortec V8s with 4L80E into the 1970s chevy pickups ive done 1 for a family member and another for a family friend. They love those things

The 8.0 V10 was 2500/3500 only. Not 1500

1987. Everything was pretty square and utilitarian up to that point, then the sealed beams began to become history and everything descended into blob world, with the most cutting-edge-new-age-hip designs fighting to become larger and rounder than the generation before, like most Americans.

They look fat and bloated but the fact that they can tow 10k lbs and do 0-60 in under 6 is impressive.

I'd love a square body resto modded Suburban but you gotta have the time and money for that.

Every year because of faggots like you.

2007 was the final year for good car design. Everything beyond 2007 is pure, planned obsolescence trash.

owner of a '98 f150 and i approve of this message

When needledicks started buying them to compensate. They always want bigger things for some reason.

>wheezes in your general direction
WHAT'S THAT SONNY, SAME BODY PANELS SINCE 1992? YOU GOT IT

Honestly the MPG's and towing capacity aren't that much better. Today's base model F150, with its planned-obsolescence 3.3L V6 and a computer that decides when said engine is going to turn on and off, is """rated""" at 19 city/25 highway and has a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. There are people who get similar mileage figures in 80s/90s base F150's, with their indestructible 4.9L straight-sixes that you actually get to control, and with an automatic and 3.31 gears you can tow just as much.

t. fragile masculinity

But even the 4wd models now sit so low you can barely drive over the curb.

>planned obsolescence
Sorry dude, but no. For the same reason violent crime seems more prevalent but in reality is dropping engines have gotten better not worse. Used to be when your motor bricked you did your best to fix it with a Chilton, nowadays you can a million other little fags go on the internet complain in YouTube.

Call me when your 1980 F150 can tow 12,000 lbs at 13 mpg, comfortably and safely.

Don't you mean 1998? Yes some of the body panels from the first gen Vic will fit on the second gen, but not all

But it literally was in the 2nd gen 1500 if you wanted it
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Pickup

yeah but what does it mean? nothing, just some vague sociological concept thought up by fat roasties on tumblr

>implying 2007 was the first year of planned obsolence in the automotive industry
JUST

Yes it was, the crisis is what got automakers into planned obsolescence