Civic hatch vs wrx

Im not sure whether i should look into buying a bugeye wagon or 90s civic hatch, which would be best for a first timers enthusiast car and why? Im open to other car suggestions

Civic would be cheaper and easier to find parts for, also mostly easier to maintain. WRX would be faster out of the box, maybe feel more modern/comfortable.

I have a 94 hatch. I can recommend them, stupid cheap, incredibly easy to work on, you can get parts for cheap at the junkyard for days. I did a steering rack and subframe swap in one night after work

Hows the handling is fwd as bad as everyone says it is?

Not him, but
>fwd a complete shit
is a meme, they are great, especially with the power they have and it is a honda, they had perfected the fwd in the early-mid 90's.
I would still get a WRX, but that is just me, despite the abysmal mileage.

Thanks for clarifying, but are boxer engines as unreliable as people say?

yes, but on the WRX it's the glass gearbox that is the main issue..

Only the EJ25, which the early ones don't come in at all. The trans, as said is their biggest downfall as they are standard impreza transmissions, but if you are not launching on dry pavement with your foot planted to the ground, they are bearable. And they are diamond dozen so they are cheap to maintain. Not as much so as the Civic.

So if i want to make power i would have to swap the trans? What would i swap it with?

civic is way less gay and soy than having a wagon.

Get a civic hatch

I would get the civic. Less problems and less weight. Honestly tho if you are not trying to get mint conditions of either car. They are both cheap enough you could have both.

You have a great point i unfortunately dont have money for both,i guess a subie will have to wait

STi one.

>which would be best for a first timers enthusiast car and why?
Between those 2, I would say the Civic is a better first time enthusiast car simply because of the engine layout. Inline 4s are simply much easier to work on in the car than Subaru's flat 4's, particularly with the Subaru cylinder heads right up against the frame rails. This can make simple things like changing spark plugs (or the more common headgasket replacement) a huge pain in the ass.

Civic is shit out of the box, WRX are all owned by dudebros who thrash them then sell them when they need money poured into them.

If you want something quick enough that just werks, buy a WRX. If you want something to wrench on that needs time and energy to come good then buy a Civic.

Civic will also be much more economical, if that's of concern for you.

Picture unrelated, obviously.

>Civic will also be much more economical, if that's of concern for you.
I hate this argument any time it's brought up. We're talking the difference between like 23 MPG and 26 MPG. Completely irrelevant for most people, and if it is a concern for you, consider public transportation instead.

We have both of those cars.
The WRX is a more capable car, but the Civic is more fun.

160k on my 2002. Have done timing, clutch, replaced radiator and one wheel bearing. Both my cv joints have had no boot for like 30k, trying to see how long they go. Been downpipe+tune since 90k or so. I drive it hard as fuck, but always let it warm up and put good oil in it.

These seem like two very different budgets. A clean 90s Civic will run your $3000. A clean WRX will run you $6000-7000.

The Bugeye wagon has potential to be fast. Like actually fast. Those transmissions max out around 300whp if you're not launching it. That's impressive considering the car makes about 180whp stock (220bhp). A down pipe, uppipe, and tune can net you a 60bhp increase over stock and makes the car seriously quick. A turbo swap, intercooler upgrade, exhaust, and tune will get you to 300whp.

The Civic is going to be a lot cheaper and a lot of fun too. There are tons of cheap engine mods for these to boost power and when you're ready to forgo the reliability part, you can boost it yourself for cheap. They're light and handle really well. You won't notice understeer or torque steer with even a moderately modified NA engine.

The Civic is a great first car. The WRX is a great second car (meaning someone who has some driving and repair experience). Your choice is going to depend a lot on your budget and your overall experience with cars.

>first timer enthusiast
Definitely Civic, it's a much simpler car to understand.
WRXs are fun hoon-buckets but servicing it will drive you up the wall.

Uh, no? The whole time we've had ours, the only thing to go wrong was an ignition coil. Regular maintenance is no more hassle than a regular inline/V engine.

How much would that run me?

>diamond dozen
its dime a dozen man

>spotted the newfig

Good luck finding either that hasn't been torn to shit

>playing doubles advocate

It's not rocket appliances, man.

diamonda are the hardest metal

Dimes are a girl’s best friend

you'll have a hard time getting a bug eye that isn't just rust unless you pay a lot for a well maintained one.

AWD swap the civic. Best of both worlds.

That entirely depends on which AWD system you're referring to

It's because a gram of diamond weighs like 15 grams.

Yes, because I change my spark plugs twice as often as my oil.