Is hyundai a shit?

looking for a daily driver with good mileage and warranty. obvious answers are hondas and toyotas, but was wondering about hyundai and even kia. Seems like the warranties are pretty legit. Can get Ford on x/z plan because dad retired from there, but not the biggest fan.

looking for 4 door mid to large sedan for boring adulting

They're not the horrendous little shitboxes they used to be, buy they're not bombproof either.
They're pretty much middle of the pack these days.

Hyundai used to meh, but now they are basically early-90s Japanese cars. Get one. Cheap, quick, upcontented. Resale a shit, so just keep it.

t. owns a 2017 Elantra Sport

The Korean sister have definitely stepped it up in the last 5 years. They're much better than a good majority of their competitors and they do shit a lot cheaper too,while still retaining relatively the same build quality.

There are anecdotal pieces of their cars being made like shit in the last 5 years, but nothing 100% concrete. They've risen far up in both reliability ratings and consumer reviews as a solid brand. At this point, I'd definitely pick a Hyundai/Kia over a Ford, FCA, GM, and low end VW products.

They're okay but not because they got much better, Japanese cars are just more expensive and less accessible these days to poorfags.

I'd personally get a cheaper used car than a new korean car any day though.

Pretty much this, Toyota got complacent and Honda got a little too full of themselves but Hyundai just focused on improving their cars from year to year and making affordable cars for working-stiff normies.

My gf has gone through two hyundais so far with very few issues. Her current '04 XG350L has 180k miles and runs like it's new. Only goes through oil changes and brake pads, very dependable car.

>but now they are basically early-90s Japanese cars
>t. owns a 2017 Elantra Sport

Faggots like this is why people like OP get tricked into buying shitty used Hyundais then wanna kill themselves when they have to fetch out another $3,000 a few months later for an engine replacement

If you're getting a Hyundai, get it new. They at least have a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty so whenever the shit inevitably breaks at 60,000 miles, you will be able to get it "fixed"

>Kona electric with Tesla-like range
>2nd gen fuel cell
>270 hp hot hatch
>Slick Fastback sedan+KIA Stinger
>Azera+genesis g 80
Not the epitomy of engineering, but they're doing some things right.

would buy Ionic if I had money

They're less shitty than they originally were but I'd not want to own one either, OP. They're perfectly good as a rental car or as a borrowed car but I'd never want to own one fulltime. They still are the automotive equivalent of the IKEA bookshelf.

It wasn't willful, Hyundai HAD to improve, when they first came out they were Yugo-tier unreliable and lousy.

Had a gf in college that had a new 2009 Sonata, every 6 weeks something major that normally lasts a whole lifespan of a given car went bad on her but she thought nothing of it as it was all free replacements under warranty, shit I have never seen go bad in cars she had to get replaced.

>steering column
>front axle
>all 4 shocks
>entire transmission
>entire ABS system (rotors/MC/calipers/lines)

For all that to go bad and need replacement on a

A friend of mine's family is big on Kia sedans, they've had about 5 of them but as much as they like them they're convinced that from owning them the components are all designed to make it TO 100000 miles but give up not much longer beyond that. They sell off their cars once they hit or exceed that golden 100K mile mark

I've been at Hyundai dealerships where people, mostly old people, would take their car in for warranty repair and to their unfortunate surprise, their warranty ended at 60,000 miles and they typically had about 60,800 miles or so. Fuck the korean gook jews

Is Genesis a worthwhile badge yet or is it just more expensive Hyundai?

Its pretty good from the ones I've seen, I haven't driven one but its a pretty good mimic of a luxury sedan minus the legendary build quality and heritage and such, pretty good value I'd say. I'd get one over say an Acura or a Lincoln but I wouldn't sell my Mercedes to buy a Genesis

They do understand what luxury means unlike Acura in that they understand
>V8 and RWD
aren't suggestions for being luxury tier but often mandatory, particularly when full size sedans are being sold

the most generic and boring brand in existence

get something a bit more fun

Or you drop $3000 when the transmission in your new Ford Focus shits the bed
You're not fooling anyone Original Antigook Poster, put your trip back on

I believe it's a different team in charge of genesis. Don't know how much autonomy they have, but they were involved in the genesis sedan and coupe development before the brand segmentation shit happened.

Toyota has become far more boring in its offerings. The Koreans have little to lose and can't stay complacent like Toyota.

No. Their old shit boxes from 20years ago deserve all the hate Veeky Forums can throw at them, but current models are alright desu