Owning 2 vehicles

Hey guys, I'm in a spot and need some opinions.

Owning 2 vehicles... yes or no?

I have literally dumped money, time and labor into keeping my 2007 Chevy HHR running nicely and at this point I cannot sell it or worse, trade it in, without taking a massive loss. It's okay though because I really just love this piece of crap like a child and could never condemn it.

Anyway I'm looking to keep the HHR as a beater/winter warrior/odd jobber (it has a tow hitch for light hauling) and acquire a newer (2013+) car for a new DD.

Two things:

1. Pro's and con's of owning two cars? I've googled it already but I really want your Veeky Forumspinions

2. Car suggestions - I want a small coupe or hatchback that gets 30+ highway mpg. I couldn't care less about how it drives or top speed. I'm looking at Chevy Sparks right now to give you an idea of what I want.

Thank you for responding.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy
mazdatweaks.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if you can afford it why not

Why do you want a shit box
Get a Malibu at least they ride good and they are comfortable or a cruze hatch if you really need a hatch
Also consider a Mazda 3 hatch or Corolla IM hatch

This is what I keep telling myself. I can afford an extra $200ish a month pretty nicely right now.

I drive and work on all sort of heavy duty trucks and equipment at my job at a construction company already, and having done said work on all of the aforementioned platforms, I can safely say all I want is a solid little lightweight 4 cylinder setup for myself. Small engine = better MPG and usually cheaper parts.

The HHR engine bay is a little tight for my liking but I've gotten used to it. I am leaning toward a Japanese/Korean option in this regard though, working on my wife's Kia Optima leaves me speechless at how well thought out and accessible simple maintenance items are to work with. And not just that Kia - it's literally every Asian brand engine bay I've ever seen. They're all so nicely laid out and open.

Pic related, not hers but it's the same

Own and insure two year round. Planning on swapping the van out for a truck. As I get older I find having a bed to be a convenience I'd like to have.

Pretty nice being able to work on one and drive the other without having to have the job done for the morning.

I use to have just one shitbox
>X part starts acting up / needs attention
>Have to do a job from start to finish no matter what

Versus
>X part needs attention
>While I'm at it I can inspect and replace everything as I pick at it

And don't get get me started on winter
>Beater van gets winter tires, half ass motor oil spray for prep
>Don't really care if someone slides into me
>Don't really care if I wash the slush off at the end of the day

>How nice and accessible the engine bay is
I thought it was just me, coming from Ford/GM. If I had smaller hands I swear some jobs would be a breeze.

I own multiple cars. It's good if one breaks or needs a tire or something, just use another. Cons are you have to maintain more than one. I feel like I've bought 6 or more car batteries in the past 3 years for them all. I also always seem to be buying tires. It's not really the cost, it's more of the time you have to spend getting a battery or taking it for tires.

This. I have two but the biggest thing is the time commitment.

>cannot sell it or worse, trade it in, without taking a massive loss

Loss aversion and the sunk cost fallacy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

This is what I long for. The ability to be able to really take my time with repairs and make sure things are done to the absolute best of my ability with no artificial deadline because the damn thing has to be buttoned up to take me to work.

I think that's where I would actually be saving money over the long run, as neither vehicle would receive as much wear as the single DD does currently. Since this HHR has been paid off I've probably had to put another 5k into over the past years and a half. But don't get me wrong, it's probably in better shape now than when my mom helped me buy it over 5 years ago. No regrets!

Well, see but there is a difference here, being that I have put enough effort into this vehicle that it can provide me with safe and efficient transportation/utility for years to come, and selling it for the market price of ~$3000 is absolutely not worth the effort. Trade in-wise it will only fetch me about ~$1200 which is laughable.

When you gain an attachment to an inanimate object such as a car, it becomes very hard to accept certain market realities about the resale value. It's like my dog. I wouldn't sell my dog for $3000, no fucking way. Same with my shitheap of a car! Love it too much.

I own 2 cars right now and the only thing I hate is paying insurance on the one that I almost never use, feels like a waste but it's not that much really. My DD is my baby that I just recently bought, he gets the garage and all my love. The other one is a Miata that I bought because dude lol miata but it's a piece of shit and I hate it but I've spent over $6000 rebuilding the entire drive train and if I sold it I'd be lucky to get a quarter of what I've spent. I feel like someday I might do something with it like strip it down and boost it but right now it just sits in the dirt like the trash it is.

my summer car (4cyl with ac o3o)

winter beater wrx shitheap vag blue trd car nazigerman piece of shit ear shattering rod knock machine that is also used on those short trips in town and in the rain

all paid for by my piece of shit father who is gone to a better place but the payments are automatically withdrawn idk how.

Please don't get a Chevy Shart. Look into 3rd gen Mazda 3s instead, for $10k-$13k you could get a higher trim model with stuff like blind spot monitoring and the infotainment system which can be hacked to add Android Auto:
mazdatweaks.com/

yes yes yes. I could never go back to owning one car. Make sure the other one is an suv/truck

Also they can easily get 40+mpg. Even when you're driving them hard you'll still be getting between 25-30mpg

I have 4 and it's not a big deal. you just need somewhere to put them.

That's the other thing I'm afraid of. Heaven forbid I have two cars that don't run (worst case scenario) the other fear is that I don't end up driving one of them at all.

Assuming I put maybe 1000 miles a month on my DD now, I could theoretically divide that 50/50 or 60/40.

What percentage of the driving does everyones vehicles see? Im interested to hear how multicar owners use their rides.

having multiple vehicles is the shit if you can afford it and have space

I had 5 at one point

>2007 Chevy HHR
disabled individuals do stupid shit

really depends on where you live i'd say.
with 2 cars you need to park them somewhere.
preferably on you own land. (is that possible?).
and depending on the weather you might want to park at least one of your vehicles inside.
maintenance gets almost doubled as a lot of things you have to do over time, not so much over miles.
on top of that there's also the extra costs. registration/tax and insurance just continue.
if you think for any of these things 'can't be too bad, right?' don't do it because it will be too bad.

I have a 328 that I keep garaged and a Fiat 500 that's my DD. I'd say I drive the Fiat 80% of the time. Those 36 MPG's are nice plus it does well in snow.

You guys are so cute!

Got the Volvo wagon dd
Japanese pickup also dd
Volvo 740 de turbo project, nearly done
Volvo 240 I used to own and just bought back, prolly gonna re sell though.
The 85 gmc one ton dump
A Honda Shadow, klx 650 and a parts bike

Technically a motorhome and a Ford zx2 Enduro car too I guess

You always have something to fix and drive.
The DMV gets all my money.
/Fleet/ is the way to go. I enjoy the fleet of Volvo's at the moment.

I own a Car and a Van. If you can afford two, go for it

Whatever happened to your brodozer?

No advice other than kill yourself soon, please.

It is nifty. I have a truck and a fuel efficent commuter. I drive the truck for stuff i dont want in my car and the truck is a hoot to drive compared to the commuter when i move in a few years im going to love having that truck. Cons insurance is a bit more expensive and being in commiefornia registration is expensive

I own a car and motorcycle, no biggie bro

>Owning 2 vehicles
Yes x1000
One for DD, one for fun.
The fun car can be unreliable as fuck and it doesn't matter because the DD is always gonna work.
Best thing I ever did.

It's worth it if you have the space to keep them stored together. Unfortunately I have to keep my fun car garaged at my grandma's house and getting to it involves a 30 minute ferry ride. But she makes me cookies when I visit during the winter to check on it so that's nice.

I'm contemplating selling it this summer but I know I'll miss having two cars, and I got it on a really good deal from family member so I feel like they're expecting me to keep it.

If you can't write a check for the car right now then you can't afford it.

I'm not going to downsize my fleet that much ever, so No.

Okay
Trips of truth I'll do it right now and live stream it for you

I have 7 cars right now kek. Go for it if you can afford it