/simg/ Simulation Games General

Tonk edition

Previous thread: >DCS: Do not buy mirage and newer modules from steam, because you can't use them in stand-alone.TeamSpeak
ts.artificialanimation.com:7997

>Steam group
steamcommunity.com/groups/SimulationGamesGeneral

>BMS U3 Setup and stuff
mega.nz/#F!vxd2ia5Z!Dis_Nz7NlgzXqscADeUDew

>Repository of various aviation related material
mega.nz/#F!vxd2ia5Z!Dis_Nz7NlgzXqscADeUDew

>Planes pastebin
pastebin.com/Zb0U61in

>Tanks pastebin
pastebin.com/EbdtnyPX

>Boat/Submarine pastebin
pastebin.com/JqTQWFFE

>Link to this OP text
pastebin.com/dCNrq5CU

>Example of welcome games
>Flight Sims
Falcon BMS, DCS: World, Rise of Flight, IL-2, Combat Helo, Microsoft Flight Simulator, X-Plane, Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum
>Driving Games
Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Live for Speed, Euro Truck Sim, Train Simulator, Farming Simulator 201X, DiRT Rally, OMSI 2
>Ground Sims
SAM Simulator, Steel Beasts Pro, Steel Armor: Blaze of War, Graviteam Tactics, Squad
>Submarine Sims
Silent Hunter, Ship Simulator, Cold Waters, Dangerous Waters
>Misc Sims
Command: X, Swat 4

>Example of non-welcome games
Ácé Cómbát, Wár Thúndér, Wórld óf _____, Ármá 1-3, Thé Síms, Sím Cíty, Góát Símúlátór

>Extra attention grabbing search terms
/fsg/ /dcsg/ /fsxg/ /bmsg/ /shg/ /rofg/ /etsg/ /il2g/ /lfsg/ /tsg/ /cwg/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YZ7rkOHNaik?t=56s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chobham_armou
m.imgur.com/gallery/fd4sK
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bridges
youtube.com/watch?v=-p4b1twfZ6I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for hind

2nd for
:)

>ATGMs
>anything but obsolete

Syria got the T90 (firts gen), non M, nor AM, wich is a t72B with a t80U gun, and nothing more.

Isn't T-90 just a T-72 with more base armor?

wait wtf heppens here
tanks have shotguns mounted on them hitting incoming explosive plates ?

radar detected incoming projectiles and shoots explosives in their way before they hit

>leopards
When did they ever get rekt? if you mean the two roach leopards, the roaches inside them floored it like pussies and they got captured and blown up from the air. ISIS didn't actually knock them out

>knocked out
Roasting the Doshka's 12.7mm magazine does not equate to "destroying a tank", user.

Those jammers are designed to work against TOW missiles. Do you even know how TOW guidance works?

Even better. It shoots a rocket that shoots a shotgun.

Comeback systems that force the explosion of charge warheads.
Some works like a direct fire shotgun, and others make the charge jump in the air and explode facing down, depending on what is responding to.
Pic is a t72B3, made in response to this.
youtu.be/YZ7rkOHNaik?t=56s
Look the lack of reactive armor plates.
Its the same thing as chechnya, bad usage-tactics in clusterfuck enviroments, wich made the t80 famous for being shit asides from the turbine engine.
And you see docus about the russian tanks having a hard time at berlin, because at first they have to secure sectors, then had to secure blocks, then have to secure each house because even toddlers had a panzerfaust, its like they never learned.

>wake up
>new thread is tanks edition
>people talking about tanks
HOW DO I CONTAIN MY AUTISM

With fire support of course.

its like someone tried to cram as many shit into this image
>tiny ass captured czech tank form the 30's
>a truck with a gun mounted on it
>a probable relic of ww1/armored train
>gigantic useless gun of ebin photo-ops and many propagandas

You know I always love and indulge you sabowman ;)

>the guy in the background

hmmm
in the webm it looks like it the counter tow came from the right of the tank

where is it mounted on ?

I feel loved /simg/'s cancer therapy using tanks works in 1 day

depends on system
in most systems its mounted on the top of the turret to enable 360 degree usage

One time blessed tank, this time tonk edition, I think we're advancing lad :)

Some even replace the old granade launchers, and others, like that one who push the charge in the air is more like a box with the charges stacked inside them.
Also look at the ones in the t14 armata on the side of the turret.

Here are the nii stali launchers and the hard kill ones.
In tests it did good, but im skeptical about being combat proof.
But is the path they taken, so they dont need to worry too much about armor rates and be able to refit them into older tanks.
Some nations are still using the t62A with god knows how many upgrades.

would an a10s 30 mms do anything to a modern tank ?

mess up external objects (like HGM/LMG's mounted on top) and optics at best

I'm no tank expert but I think it should
Isn't a-10 rounds made out of depleted uranium for penetration? Anyway you're attacking from above, so that makes it better I suppose
But my knowledge is 0, so I can be wrong

how about hitting them over over the engine block ?
wouldnt that fuck shit up?
how thick is the top armor?

it could shoot back if its one of this, but vertical attacks never was a strong point in tanks.
Will be a secure knock off, visors and the engine would be BRRRRTTT'ed to the shit.

>engine block
most modern tank engines are completely enclosed
>how weak is top armor
weakest on tanks generally, but not to the point it could be shredded by something like that. I'm not 100% positive about this thought because all modern tanks' armor is classified.

It can do m-kill
Not sure about F and K kills

ah ok
thanks

tonks are fun!

Fun!

no one plays steel beasts ?
i dont but i'd like to know more of it
you can play as modern tonks right?

not him but

Its just a sandwich of spaced layers that low the temps if HEAT, absorb the explosion if HE and deviate the rod if Sabot, thats where the "controlled deformation reactive armor" term comes in.

I already know that, tha's pretty basic and common/public info on tank armor. All we know is partial info on composition. Nothing on thickness

>filename
>merkavachobham
que?

Dunno.

merkava doesnt use Chobham formula you dumb kike

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chobham_armou

What are you trying to prove you dumb cunt

The Merkava doesn't use chobham

If it did it would be a disaster
>more than 200 merkavas penetrated by various Hezbollah ATGMs and RPGs in 2006

Should we rename to tankgen? :3

m.imgur.com/gallery/fd4sK

>flight simming is ded
ground forces is a go, arma is now allowed

>cold war era western tanks were bette-

Nope

Yay!

>tank sims
>only one real option
>no multiplayer

tonks are just as fucked as playnes
Such is the life of the sim genre

>only one real option
I mean we could Steel Beasts for a month just for shit and giggles

hex tanks

-re.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bridges

ded tanks

by 1985 they were vastly superior, but as usual the outside conditions determine everything (range, terrain, skill of crew, element of surprise, flanks, supports, etc.)

>Iraqi tanks literally unarmed of their Anti-tank ammunition
>Chieftain meme brigade only manages to disable two of them
Pathetic desu, here's an anecdote from Maj. Gen Ra'ad, the Iraqi who led and planned the invasion
>early in the invasion outside of Jahra, our lead IRG Brigade tanks encountered a Chieftain MBT in a trench defending a government administration building. A T-72 destroyed it and made it's turret fly off with an HE anti-personnel shell fired to the side of its turret
>yfw a T-72 catastrophically killed a Chieftain with HE round

I have more stories of Iraqis shittalking western tanks from their war with Iran, too. They got massive sale offers on Chieftains at a discount, but refused them because of how garbage they were.

If you're gonna shill for western tanks I wouldn't make the Chieftain your rallying point.
I could post statistical and anecdotal evidence for days

>Makki: He was a good division commander, but he had no intelligence background. He could not do the job of the director of intelligence. He refused to pass along the information in order to please the new chief of staff.
Let‘s get back to the battle at Susangard. Some of the Iranians deserted their tanks while their engines were still running. We put the tanks we captured in an exhibition area in Baghdad. Our armor sabot round pierced a Chieftain on one side and the round went through the front armor and came out the backside.
At this time the British approached us to sell us tanks. Salah Askar, director of armor, told me that when the British called and offered to sell him Chieftains he had remarked, ‗We don‘t want your stupid tanks!‘
(Interview with chief of staff of Iraqi 3rd corps)

>Hamdani (IRG maj gen): British weapons were not very good. The 90th Iranian Armored Division had Chieftain tanks; they had a lot of problems and did not fight effectively. The 16th Iranian Armored Division, which was equipped with Chieftain tanks, lost a battle against the 10th Iraqi Armored Brigade with T-62 tanks. It is hard for an armored brigade to destroy a division in 12 hours but it happened; it was a disaster for the Iranians. Kuwait was another disaster. It is hard to compare the Kuwaitis with us, but the result was that the British weapons quickly lost the war. There was a problem with British manufacturing. An order was issued that every tank had to carry two types of ammunition: the first was effective against heavy armor and the second was used against infantry and light armor. We were ordered not to inflict heavy casualties when we entered Kuwait, so we armed our tanks with the less effective ammunition, so the Kuwaiti tanks would be knocked out when we fired on their tanks, but their soldiers would survive. When we fired upon them using this less effective ammunition, I realized that even this ammunition destroyed the Kuwaiti Chieftains.

boy tank

Are there any female(male) tanks?

>made up tanks
>made up rifle
not sim

I always dreamed of this becoming a new playable scenario on SABOW with the T-72

Yes, direct hits with (125mm) HE rounds are still very dangerous to tanks if you hit them in the right places. The Abrams for example has a glaring weak spot on the upper glacis plate, which is effective against KE due to it's extreme slope but is so thin that you can pop the driver like a balloon if you slap it with HE. Nevermind the other things you can accomplish with HE, like disabling the main gun, or the optics, or radios, or tracks, etc...

The problem with HE is a) it's harder to hit shit with, a huge problem for inaccurate Soviet guns, and b) the off-chance that you hit actual enemy armor like the front of the turret just gives your enemy a free shot at you.

As for 70's tanks in general, the general consensus (learned mostly from Yom Kippurt) was that tank armor wasn't worth diddly since nothing good against then-modern HEAT warheads existed and whoever shot the other guy first was generally guaranteed to win anyway. Thus, western designers started building around the idea that it's better to have equipment that lets you see and shoot the enemy first/faster than to have a thicc wall of armor.

Thermals/TOGs (Which appeared by 85) make such a huge difference in combat that it's not even funny. A platoon of Western tanks can erase a Company of their soviet counterparts before the enemy even knows they're there. See literally any scenario in Steel Beasts, or real world examples like 73 Easting.

Wait, you think thermal equipment was purely restricted to the west?

On tanks and IFVs? No I do not think, rather, I know.

Thermal equipment for the Warsaw Pact was restricted on the ground to advanced recon vehicles like the BRM (Which already had GSR on them however so they were more or less redundant). As for line units like the BMPs, T-64, T-72, T-80... they were entirely absent until the Berlin Wall had already fallen.

Of course, you could bring up the active IR searchlights that were only effective out to 800m or so and made said tank a big bright target in the night, but they really don't compare to passive FLIR.

>I know
Dropped. Even Iraqi Assad-Babils in the gulf war had thermal imagine (but outdated). You're pretty delusional if you think the USSR didn't already have these
>IR
Works only at night, we're not talking about night vision, is your knowledge on tanks, dare I say, limited?

>Iraqi Assad-Babils in the gulf war had thermal imagine (but outdated)

You're either looking at a retarded source or you have no idea what a thermal imager is.

I've looked at it years ago and even researched the background of it (looking at all belgian exports to Iraq in the mid-80's to confirm it), Iraq bought thermal sights for their domestic T-72. There's no sure evidence they were mounted on them or used in large numbers, but they had them

What about that time when M1a1s and bradleys fucked up all those Iraqi tanks during a sandstorm?

Might have been T-55s or whatever.

they were all abandoned. The few that fought were virtually blind and leaderless and had no idea if there was going to be a fight
Also sandstorms affected thermals too. But any vehicle equipped with thermal optics can still detect things at 200-100 meters, while anyone using normal optics sees the sand scraping on his sights.

>Bought from the west
Do-ho-ho.
But please, post your source.

>There's no sure evidence they were mounted on them or used in large numbers
That's quite the fucking leap from saying that the Warsaw Pact had thermal optics on their tanks, let alone standardization.

Pic related, it's the most advanced sight that the T-72(B, which was exclusive to the Soviets during the Cold War) was equipped with. Thermals were not introduced until the development of SOSNA-U well after the collapse of the Soviet Union, which the Russians had to buy parts from the fucking French (Specifically, Catherine-FC) to have a thermal imaging capability.

Oh, idk they were mostly abandoned.
It makes sense (since we are talking about the middle- east here) I thought it was just night vision they had, but it makes sense that it was thermals during a sandstorm

>only mounted in 1989
>4 year gap between Russians and the west
I don't see anything out of ordinary, I didn't say the Soviets had them standardized on their tanks only that they had access to it + would've been there the same time the west started adopting it if they weren't going through an economical depression and political collapse. I said the Iraqis 100% had thermal optics purchased from belgium between 1982-1988 and it's not known if they were fitted.

Bare-bones prototype imaging systems are a far cry from having them installed on every new tank, which NATO did. The point is that by 1985, the typical Western tank (Be that the M60A3, Chieftain Mk. 11, Abrams, Leo 2) was vastly superior to their Soviet counterparts in this department, overall making the tank itself superior. We haven't even brought up FCS, which the West again had a huge edge in.

>would've been there the same time the west started adopting it if they weren't going through an economical depression and political collapse
If you need to change major historical details in order for it to work, there's no real point even bringing it up. We are looking at the real history of what happened and what was, and the real history is that the typical Western tank was superior to it's Eastern counterpart.

>the Iraqis 100% had thermal optics purchased from belgium between 1982-1988
Okay, what's your source?
>and it's not known if they were fitted
Then don't treat it like it was.

>not already having a permanent license
It's like you don't want to play the best slavshit armor simulator there is

>BMP-2 atgm
>you have to shut down electricity from the turret and use manual cranks to aim the missile in flight

>T-72B1
>right eye gets periscope view, left eye gets FCS readout for lead against a black background so the images combine
>backup sight is just a window with no sights whatsoever
>autoloader sounds like a dying horse

Video related: youtube.com/watch?v=-p4b1twfZ6I
Happenings happen around 1:15

Truly soviet armor is the best

The AI still cheats and NATO armor is over represented which are both turn-offs for me. With IFVs in particular your only competition is M2A2 and Marder 1A3, both immune to even 3UBR8 that could frontally kill M2A1 and Marder 1A2 from 1.5 klicks out.

Merge of ETS and Farming Simulator when ?

That depends on what you want to do with it. Rolling over everything in a M1A2 is pretty boring, but using shit armor like t72 or even t62 is pretty funny. And you can do equal matchups with best soviet tanks versus second-grade western stuff like M1s or even older tanks.

Also BMP-2 isn't even that shit, the gun is fairly good and the atgm can do a lot of damage to modern armor, at least from the sides. If anything, the Marder is shit compared to it, since its gun can't penetrate anything.

>If anything, the Marder is shit compared to it, since its gun can't penetrate anything.
The Marder easily frontally penetrates the BMP-2 from any range in SB.

>HE against abrams
You can just give up at this point, user. There's nothing you can do.

surprise bemp

HE hits against the front upper glacis will actually kill an abrams (and I've reproduced this result from 2km many times), that turret gap is like a big shot trap for HE

That's not my experience with marders at all. You can do some damage from the front, but usually not disable it. I usually have to immobilize the bemps and circle around to the side to kill them, and even then it takes dozens of rounds.

bemp kills an abrams at a range where I can't even make out the silhouette and went entirely by muzzle flash

that gap weak spot is real

guy in window

What gayem is this?

Steel Beasts Pro PE. It's hella expensive but pretty gud.

Webm related is me doing some target practice on the sho't kal. I don't understand those targeting runes at all.

One of them is a fully model and accurate real world simulator useful in real world training scenarios. The other is a micro-machines level sim with worse physics than Need for Speed.

>too autistic to get the joke
i'm sorry for you user

not sure if simg relevant but anybody play Battleground Europe?

>playing shitty p2w

I don't know if I wanna start up or not, but your >fcs statement is completely fucking un-true (until 1989 atleast, when the Soviets couldn't compete anymore due to fund shorages)
>what's your source on Iraq having belgian thermal optics
US leadership. Followed by my own corroboration by going through all Belgian exports to Iraq. Feel free to fucking look it up on some easy-access open source like Wikipedia because it's there.

well babies first flight was a lot spoopier than i had imagined (a bit windy)

flew a C172 with glass cockpit today

gotta say this IRL texture pack is preddygud

im fuckin hooked

Had my first flight in years yesterday, now I'm looking for scholarships to fund a PPL