Now we have these ugly ass fucking lcd panels instead

now we have these ugly ass fucking lcd panels instead.

fucking cheap ass car makers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TeNoeKv0_tk
youtube.com/watch?v=JxN3r-gFUJc
youtu.be/H_fcVWkvK2Q
youtu.be/R-rQekXZI_s?t=221
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

tech ruined car dials.

they did it to motorcycles too. I fucking hate digital shit. At least my s1000rr has an analogue rev gauge

You do realise your "analog" dials are also electronically controlled right?

I love how the shitbox polo and the V10 R8 supercar share the same instrument cluster

VAG is gotta VAG

I think it would be cool if highdpi oled screens are used. But if they use some gay ass TN 96DPI screen, it's shit, yes.
> t. someone who never sat in a car with digital gauges

>tech ruined car dials
Dials, except for few extremely strict and expensive ones, are shit. They take a lot of space for nothing, and they have to go.

The actual question is why the fuck do car makers insist on putting dials on lcd screens.

>BMW

I still have no fucking clue why they use LCDs only to print dials instead of printing the information valueble to the driver as just a number. Why on earth do you need a ascale and a needle?

Car makers and car drivers are such massive retards jesus.

t. somebody who doesn't know how the human brain works

because they can't upsell analogue dials but if they say" hey it's got all the bells and whistles and this lcd screen that can detect when your balls are seaty" then they can add a nice number to the price.

t. somebody who thinks that human brain evolved to understand dials better despite the fact that technology facilitating use of dials existed for a small fraction of overall humanity's existence

you're just used to it - hence my statement about car drivers being massive retards.

>dials are bad

This thing is so stupid. If only there was a way to see what's in front of my car, oh wait this dashboard front camera display solved this problem for me. Awesome! Now I can finally see what's in front of my car!

$1000 repair if pixel ded

>cars
ishygddt

now?
my mum's 80's mitsubishi had an LCD speedometer

These digital dials would be absolutely based if they were hackable.

Imagine being able to watch anime on that thing. Or being able to see the speed in meter/second or lengthsofshrek/minute. Imagine being able to see any live data from the engine in real time, whenever you want.
Not just the boring
>hurr u started me, let me dial from lowest to highest once and here's the KM/h / mph
on a shitty non-OLED screen that lights up your face at night.

how about just a row of led's which display your speed/rpm/fuel level/etc in binary

that would be bloat slowing you down and increasing fuel consumption

how about hacking the digital display dial that's already there in the first place

>all these weeb permavirgins who are too poor to own a car
It's not a surprise considering the board

>Imagine being able to watch anime on that thing

>watches loli tentacle hentai while driving
>causes 3 lane pileup on the M62

You can already get a cheap ELM327 interface with Bluetooth that plugs into the OBDC port in your car that will let you see all sorts of realtime data from the engine that may not otherwise be displayed (boost pressure, actual road speed that hasn't been tweaked up by a few MPH to make you think you're driving faster than what you really are, etc, etc), assuming it's no big deal to use a smartphone or a tablet, or you have rigged up some monstrosity with a raspberry pi and touchscreen to replace your in-car CD player.

>You can already get a cheap ELM327 interface with Bluetooth
Lots of cool stuff you can do with OBD, but you won't read much about it here since most anons are poor carless city-dwelling scum

Ignoring the weeb bit but I had a similar idea once. Replace my dials with some on-board computer that can do all kinds of statistical/real time data analysis of the car.
Too bad my car is just a little older than the mandatory OBDII, so the idea was never implemented.

>using pictures instead of words to express your feelings because you have the brain of a retarded child

I feel like LCD screens would be better for a lot of non analog information though.
Example, I drive a truck. I can't have digital air pressure gagues because they're directly tied into the air system.
However there's no reason not to have digital speed and rpm gauges.

Technology (Californian jizzstain) will ruin a lot more than the gauge cluster.
Tesla is gonna be heralded as the new Rolls Royce or something, thanks to soy drinking faggots and then all the real car manufacturers are gonna start pandering to the lowest common denominator by cutting down the costs like real dials and gear shifters. Ultimately, unless auto pilot becomes a reality, I think driving is gonna become dangerous as all fuck thanks the to the in-built iPads that cars are gonna ship with. Not cause people are stupid enough to use the iPad for entertainment, but because basic fucking functionality is gonna move to the giant ass tablet that's off fucking center from the driver. You're gonna need two people to pilot a car in the future.
Now, the above scenario is what would happen if autopilot technology doesn't take off. In reality, it will. But ultimately it's botnet.

technology RUINED cars

The 90s were some of the best we've ever gotten .

What I hate is they give people so much shit over phones and "distracted driving" yet these wuto makers want us to take attention off the road with touch screen controls that you can't get a feel for.

Touchscreens, electric power steering, direct injection emissions, more and more weight. A lot has gone wrong.

Oh no fuel injection, what a nightmare

Why the fuck isn't "V10" on the Tach instead of the speedo? Holy fuck that's retarded

Why do they feel the need to remind you it has a v10

both of these

Humans read (linear) sizes much better than angles, dials are retarded skeuomorphism. Bars would be much better.

no

That's fucking beautiful. And yeah, I agree. Just look at this garbage.

This.

People who ACTUALLY know how the human brain works knows dials are shit and so are pie charts.

People only buy such cars for the badges.

They aren't actually any better on the road.

muh minimalism for the sake of minimalism

What do you have against direct injection?

I have a direct injected 2 stroke bike that has great power and gas mileage.

Better question is why is it so hard to customize digital dashboards?
I want a fully open source dashboard I can program any way I like.

>analog gauges being emulated on an lcd
For what purpose

Digital oled M/Kph speedometer plus an analog tachometer would be god tier

The one thing Lexus is doing right is their gauges.

Doesn't seem like a bad implementation but I hate the batman-style animations

youtube.com/watch?v=TeNoeKv0_tk

burn in would become an issue quickly

I'm guessing you've never actually used night vision. Animals are visible for miles.

One of these things is not like the others.

One of these things is good.

It's an IR camera, you mongoloid. What's wrong with wanting to see shit at night without blinding everyone around? Or even better, since it's IR, see the things you were never really able to see before?

Yes. So much stuff you can use it for. Like having battery voltage, oil pressure and oil/coolant temperatures when you start the car, or front/rear cameras and parking sensors for when you actually want to park your car, or said IR camera for the night mode, or whatever.

some day we will escape the analog paradigm.

I like the instrument panels on the tech packaged 2-series.
They have a full color LCD panel that's hidden into the bottom half of the instrument panel. a broken display still allows you to read your tach, speed, fuel, etc.

>53 km/h
>”slow down”
Yeah, the future is gonna be a fuckin blast.

>>>>>>>>>>>obstacle detected
maybe I wouldnt want to blast into anything head on at any speed user

The worst part is they're almost all so terribly made that there's retarded amounts of blacklight bleed meaning the shit is impossible to see at night and thusly it glares, making eye strain bigger issue than now.

They should have gone for OLED screens, the cheapskate fucks.

It's cheap car buyers. Car makers only sell what people buy.

I just want orange instrumentation to be standard.

>ywn have bouncy vdo gauges in your face

The Mazda RX8 has this setup, it's pretty slick

The combined 2d and 3d very well, but they had to use a screen for the tach because of how fast the engine revs.

Ah yes, Lexus is easily the only modern gauge cluster that gets me diamonds.

That's what they claimed but I believe that's somewhat BS. Some bikes rev faster and higher due to their smaller lighter engines. I think the digital cluster was 'necessary' for that little blue marker to improve accuracy of readings due to it's ridiculously lightweight crank forcing the tach to jump all over the place due to poor crank inertia and road disturbances.

If you look at the above gif, bikes typically don't include the shift light, doesn't have the blue shift thingy, and aren't looked at as often. They also don't look like they belong in a $400k supercar.

Yeah my 2008 civic has pic related. It's tacky as fuck and I hated it when I got the car but now I'm too used to looking at the big number right at the top of my dash that when I drive a car that has a traditional diag I can't pay attention to it because it it's too distracting for me to move my eyes so low down.

Just make it a cheap monochrome like Agilent multimeters but with better DPI, and make it easy to replace

youtube.com/watch?v=JxN3r-gFUJc

My car doesn't even have a clock.

>Electric steering
Im a HUGE hydraulic purist, but I will admit they’re getting good at electric racks.

Another 5 - 8 years and I figured they’ll be getting close to the feel and response of the old shit.

would you prefer this?

You're fucking wrong and retarded because you're supposed to watch the road you busrider.
>Imagine being able to watch anime on that thing
Busrider and a weeb.

>Busrider and a weeb.
That post is when the thread was on /g/ which is a weeb board

I was the one who posted that gif. The LFA is easily on my top tier list of favorite cars and read/watched too much about it. If I'd have the luxury to own or drive one, I'd die happy despite having a poor performance to value ratio. Take a look at this video and watch closely how bouncy the needle is. Having too light of a crank, flywheel, and driveline is detrimental to the smoothness of the ride but it's also the reason why it's also a stupidly responsive car. That blue marker is crucial in informing you peak RPM not only during shifting but as the car bounces around from imperfections on the road.

youtu.be/H_fcVWkvK2Q

Are you missing your eyes?

No, it's automatic.

woah now... slow... the... fuck... down... Analog clocks in cars are balla as fuck

never came into production

youtu.be/R-rQekXZI_s?t=221
We're in the future!

I wouldn't say that, now. I have an '79 Honda Civic that just doesn't have a tach.

would be PERFECT if the tablet was deleted

Direct injection allows for carbon accumulation on the intake valves and manifold. So every 20-40k miles you have to pull the intake manifold to walnut blast it. It's really quite dumb. Since most people don't know about this, intake ports become clogged and the engine loses a lot of power.