Pontiac GTO

Why did it fail?

because it was shit

Its a car syled for the tuner crowd who would never be caught dead in an ameircan car, while not being boomer retro for the muscle crowd.

Pretty much this.

I love the way they look. My Dad thinks they are boring

Fuel tank had to be moved to the trunk for US safety standards, taking away all practicality. Had zero retro styling, because it wasn't a group in the first place. Australian wet noodle chassis from the late 90's

Looks nothing like the old gto like at all

They are kind of boring visually and the nostrils really didn't make them more attractive.

It was Pontiac putting their dumb grilles on a decent looking car. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pretty cool, but it weighs a too much imo. A true muscle car though.

Because of the old "new car targeted at young drivers who can't afford new cars" lesson that the automotive industry will never fucking learn.

It was too expensive compared to other muscle cars

because it was made by gm

What I love about it is that its a true muscle car in spirit and concept with absolutely none of the rehashed/reused retro styling. More cars (especially American cars, even though they wouldn't sell to the boomers who buy them the most as well) need to progress a tad more in their styling but remain spiritually the same imo. I know the GTO is just a Holden but my point stands

They got the looks wrong.

although it is just a holden, being that it has an LS and the commodore also had LS engines, they have GM hearts and that is what matters.

the fucks a pontiac cunt

The American dealers didn't want to market a car that would take share away from locally-made autos too hard, so they went out of their way to bury it.

It didnt commos are great cunt

GM

Didn't mean it like that, sorry. Meant it probably could have/would have had retro boomer styling if it wasn't simply a rebadged completely modern Holden

Imo the Holden version looked so much better. Front fascia is awesome.

Agreed, that pontiac grill just looks so lazy and tacked-on. 'Hey it's gonna have a pontiac badge added, what should we do?'

IMO HSV fucked it hard, the CV8 looks way better

"We still have a bunch of 1995 Grand Am parts laying around, just tweak that to fit and we're GOLD baby"

nah bro youre good i got a little melodramatic over that.

I like retro styling when it is done right but seriously we do need some musclecars that arent retro'd and the charger is not a good one. Looks like shit and has 4 doors. I wish the Chevy SS had worked out.

For the money someone could get a trans am or a cobra. Others went with an M3.

also remember that 2005 was about the time the mustang changed body style so people went bananas for that.

It was the cheapest LS powered car at the time.

That didn't mean it was affordable to younger drivers.

>american

>Why did it fail?
>because it was shit

Hold up.
It had the best performing V6 of the era, it even made the 2008 Charger R/T a rental fleet car because of that.

early 90s actually.. 91 to be exact.. but u tried

it failed because it wasnt marketed..
just like the g8.. just like the ss sedan..

have u learned nothing

It failed only since it exposed the gaping flaws in GM's model range, it was a ballsy and good looking RWD car that really emphasized GM losing their way pushing the FWD meme to the point their entire model range was dull and pointless save for a Corvette here, a pickup there and a Camaro somewhere else. Its pretty sad Pontiac followed suit to the point they had to borrow a model from their Aussie division just to have a RWD model that wasn't a fucking Corvette or Camaro

I thought these came with V8s only?

GM took your Monaro and made it a Pontiac since we don't have Holden as a marque here in Burgerland

Its obvious they did just that but why? Its not like the G6 was turning heads and filling up driveways. Its pretty pathetic when you have to stage Oprah "giving" away 200 of your Pontiac G6s just to even make it into the public's mind I say.

Eh? Commodores were solid axle in 91 my man.

the cv8 looks like a vx commodore.

Not sure about the US, in Ausland they came with the supercharged 3800, making about 175kw/240hp as the base model.

With a lower roofline and 2 doors and far better looking than early 2k HSV monstrosities. The lower roofline helped the aerodynamics enough that the CV8 was faster than the GTS.

All the GTOs I've seen in the USA say 5.7 Litre in small font at the bottom of the GTO emblem they have on front fenders. Not sure if it meant the V8 was standard or it was just the predominantly picked model, just reporting what I have observed.

because it was an aussie car too good for the americucks,

fast cars need to have a ridiculous "in your face" look to succeed here

my source shows the vp were live axle in 91.. jolly good show.. sorry to be a cunt.. but its the internet.. so oh wells ;)

>the CV8 was faster than the GTS
the GTS coupe is 300kw vs the 260kw a CV8 has (or the 225kw in earlier CV8 monaros)
Shame pic wasnt put into production really lets agree on that at least.

I didn't say it was quicker, I said it was faster and yeah I was talking about the 225 variant. Shame they didn't make your pic related though, fuckers. That and the 300+ going head to head would have been great.

About 94 the Commodore IRS setup became an option and about 96/97 became standard.

Not the dood you're talking to but what's the difference between a live axel and solid axel? I thought they were the same.

how drunk are you?

color matched interior
looks like it was designed by a fucking child
the slowest 400hp car from the 00s shy of the 1st gen CTSV

Yeah they are, just different ways of saying the same shit.

I still own the Motor mag where the CV8 topped the GTS in the highspeed test for that years PCOTY.

bullshit.

Are you gonna make me go into my shed and take a fucking photo of an 18+ year old mag?

You can if you want but it would just prove that the testers at motor mag are retarded.
next you will tell me a vy cv8 monaro is also faster than a vz gto coupe.

I remember this kid from college, he had one of those last generation GTOs and he really thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Normally I would say meh, but he was so happy about saying he owned it, I just said the GTO is a great vehicle, sweet car.
He was jovial, good mannered, and in general a good guy. In retrospect, one of those people you could tell deep down was a sad, lonely kid just trying to be nice to everyone sort of deal.
We talked about cars a lot. Good classmate.
Never saw him or his GTO again after the first semester.
Once in a blue moon, I sometimes wonder if he offed himself or just gave up on life.

The GTO has the same aerodynamic advantage the CV8 does, minus the extra drag the HSV junk adds.
So looks like it was the 260kw R8 HSV which got beaten by the CV8 and it was the 235kw version.

Christ, these things have went up in value. I remember seeing them on Craigslist circa 2011, 2012 for under 5k in decent condition.
What gives?

The US market never received the supercharged 3800 V6 GTO here. Even in Aussie land it wasn’t that popular, as it was axed only a year or two after production started.

The 5.7 L LS1 GTO was 2004 model year only and can be distinguished from the 6.0 L LS2 model by its lack of dual exhaust. The LS2 GTO was 2005-2006

There we go.
there is no way a cv8 is beating a gts coupe.
they even came without the fake bonnet scoops if you didn't want them.

Ahh sorry I was talking about the GTS sedan.

Or SV300 or whatever they were calling it then.

the clubsport r8?

This thing, the C4B Calloway powered one, was called GTS sometimes and for some weird reason SV300 I think depending on the trim or something.

The other variant.

Because it looks like an obese pontiac sunfire.

talk about obscure, i mean the gts coupe is obscure but those things are fucking rare.
but then really just about any hsv could be called rare in world standards, there are less than 300 of any variant